Photo

College Student gets kicked out for being a lesbian and must repay thousands.

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

http://www.huffingto..._n_3428514.html

Danielle Powell was close to getting her bachelor's degree when she was kicked out of her university for being gay in 2012, and now says the only way the school will transfer her credits to another school is if she agrees to pay $6,300. In response, Powell has launched an online petition to pressure the school to forgive the debt. Powell was a student at Grace University in early 2011 when she began her first same-sex relationship. Up until that point, neither she nor her then-girlfriend identified as lesbian. When Grace, a religious university in Omaha, Neb., found out about the relationship through a spiritual adviser at the school, they brought Powell before a judiciary board to decide whether she should be allowed to stay enrolled.

"At that time, my family had no idea, so I had to come out to my family sooner than I would've wanted," Powell told The Huffington Post. Michael James, executive vice president at Grace, told The Huffington Post that the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act prevents them from discussing any student's particular case. But he did confirm the student handbook states that "Any student involved in sexually immoral behavior, including premarital sex, adultery, and homosexual acts, is at minimum placed on University probation and may be subject to a Judiciary Hearing."

Powell said the board asked her why she did what she did and whether she was remorseful, treating her, in her words, "like a sexual predator." The university ultimately decided in March 2011 to suspend her and not allow her to finish the semester. Powell said she was also told she now owed Grace just over $6,000 after an academic scholarship she'd been awarded was revoked. Powell said that the university told her she could participate in a restoration program, involving counseling and regular church attendance, to get readmitted, but she would have to live off campus and could not stay overnight in the dorms. She began the restoration process in the summer of 2011, so as not to jeopardize work that she was afraid she might lose by transferring to another institution.

But shortly before the start of the spring 2012 semester, Grace decided not to readmit her because she was still dating women. "They were doing a witch hunt," Powell said, "calling around to see if I was in a same-sex relationship." James told Powell in a letter, a copy of which was provided to HuffPost, that she was being "deceitful" and said it would be "unethical" for the university to readmit her since it "would be impossible for the faculty of Grace University to affirm your Christian character, a requirement for degree conferral."

By October 2012, as Powell was looking into attending another college, she said she was told that Grace would only transfer the credits from her three and a half years if she paid a $6,300 tuition bill from the semester during which she was suspended for being gay. The university denies they have withheld her transcripts, but Powell said she's only been offered a student copy she cannot use to transfer. James said anyone who withdraws before the semester is 60 percent complete will usually owe a balance, because federal law obligates Grace to return Title IV funds -- federal grants, loans and work-study funds -- on behalf of the withdrawn student. "Suspension or expulsion constitutes withdrawal," James said in an email. With no money and no other recourse, Powell's wife, Michelle Rogers, started a petition to persuade Grace University to forgive Powell's debt

Ouch, this is kind of unfair. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:12 PM

That's messed up. They shouldn't have done that.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#3 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 13 June 2013 - 04:29 PM

That's terrible! I hope Grace changes their minds when they realize the negative publicity the receive :o

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#4 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 13 June 2013 - 06:23 PM

Wow that's just racist (in a way) honestly.

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#5 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

That is absolutly terrible, what a world we live in....

#6 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 13 June 2013 - 08:58 PM

Wow that's just racist (in a way) honestly.

yep 100%
And I truly hate that.

I hope she has something good happen to her and can get her stuff done right.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#7 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:05 PM

this is typical behavior to be honest people just can't keep out of other peoples business when it comes to sexuality and religion

wjapt2.jpg

#8 Soul

Soul

TYBG

• Members
  • 3,660 posts
  • Fandom:
    I ENJOY HIP HOP BEATS

Posted 13 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

If they don't allow gay people and you are gay don't go to the school.

#9 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:34 PM

POPULAR

I dont see what the big deal is

They have rules that prohibit premarital sex, immoral sexual activity and homosexual acticity... So its not sexist? Its sexual activity of any kind

She knew the rules going in and she broke them

If it was a public secular college and they did this then I could see room for uproar...But a christian college who's rules are set based on biblical principals... If they bend the rules for her then they might as well not consider themselves a christian university?

Lol I like how most of you jump all over the school... defending her for her not following the rules she agreed to follow... She was paying 1000's of dollars extra just to have those rules :P yet it isnt her fault at all 

#10 BnB

BnB

Shoto Killer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Fandom:
    Fighting Game Junkie

Posted 13 June 2013 - 10:35 PM

Wth. it's 2013! I can't believe she was pretty much FORCED to come out to her family because of this situation. 

tumblr_mr2nvhlPCe1s1terdo1_500_zpsc92fde

PSN: Kallusiive // NNIDEX_NewEra

#11 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:45 PM

If they don't allow gay people and you are gay don't go to the school.

The quote says neither identified as lesbian until they got into the relationship. Not really their fault if true. Honestly I find it weird one could not know their sexual orientation until that age, must've been denial lol.

Posted Image

#12 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 14 June 2013 - 02:14 AM

And you guys wonder why I would rather live in Canada or the UK? I'm embarrassed to be an American at times.

I dont see what the big deal is

They have rules that prohibit premarital sex, immoral sexual activity and homosexual acticity... So its not sexist? Its sexual activity of any kind

She knew the rules going in and she broke them

If it was a public secular college and they did this then I could see room for uproar...But a christian college who's rules are set based on biblical principals... If they bend the rules for her then they might as well not consider themselves a christian university?

Lol I like how most of you jump all over the school... defending her for her not following the rules she agreed to follow... She was paying 1000's of dollars extra just to have those rules :P yet it isnt her fault at all 

You are being a bigot and a lot of people don't like bigots.

Signature_DK.png

#13 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 14 June 2013 - 05:53 AM

POPULAR

And you guys wonder why I would rather live in Canada or the UK? I'm embarrassed to be an American at times.

You are being a bigot and a lot of people don't like bigots.

big·ot
 [ bíggət ]   

1. intolerant person: somebody with strong opinions, especially on politics, religion, or ethnicity, who refuses to accept different views
Synonyms: extremist, diehard, dogmatist, racist, chauvinist, hypocrite

You're the bigot if you can't accept their principals. You're even worse since he never said anything about homosexuality in general. They had the rules outlined, and she knew them when she joined. If she broke the rules it's her fault. Not everything is going to be accepted everywhere. Grow up and deal with it.

Edited by Symbol, 14 June 2013 - 06:01 AM.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#14 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 14 June 2013 - 06:05 AM

big·ot
 [ bíggət ]   

1. intolerant person: somebody with strong opinions, especially on politics, religion, or ethnicity, who refuses to accept different views

Synonyms: extremist, diehard, dogmatist, racist, chauvinist, hypocrite

You're the bigot if you can't accept their principals. You're even worse since he never said anything about homosexuality in general. They had the rules outlined, and she knew them when she joined. If she broke the rules it's her fault. Not everything is going to be accepted everywhere. Grow up and deal with it.

Don't make me laugh dude. You guys are trying to justify a school's discrimination while I speak for equality. Who's the bigot now?

Signature_DK.png

#15 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 14 June 2013 - 07:03 AM

Even though I don't agree with the  school's decision, Symbol is right. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#16 KingBoo

KingBoo

Walka

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • NNID:Kingofboos
  • Fandom:
    Mentos, bunnies, and anything Nintendo.

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Don't make me laugh dude. You guys are trying to justify a school's discrimination while I speak for equality. Who's the bigot now?

no, im the biggest bigot on the beach :(

bb0.gif

#17 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

You guys are trying to justify a school's discrimination while I speak for equality.

Discrimination? what are they discriminating against....sex in general??

It has rules against sexual; activity of any kind....

If it was with her boyfriend she wouldve got in trouble just the same 

Discrimination would be singling out just the homosexuals.... but im pretty sure "any sexual acts" covers straights too... sounds pretty darn equal :3

#18 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:53 AM

no, im the biggest bigot on the beach :(

#19 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 14 June 2013 - 11:23 AM

yep 100%
And I truly hate that.

I hope she has something good happen to her and can get her stuff done right.

Yeah, who knows? Maybe geting into this university was her dream since she started high school, you never know and know this stupid racist university just ruined this girl's dream, maybe that university could have given her her dream job, and now she can't get it because of the idiots at the university.

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#20 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

What an unfortunate turn of events. My question is, why does a College even care who you sleep with? I mean, if you went to the school, you obviously had to sign an agreement, so you agreed to follow the rules. But what was the purpose of the rule?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!