Photo

Man of Steel: What do you think after you saw the movie? (Keep it spoiler free)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 15 June 2013 - 01:29 PM

I just got back home watching man of steel again, and wow. I gotta say, this is the best Superman movie ive ever seen,  I heard about its release because I wasn't a big superman fan, but after watching that movie, It made me into a superman fan, liking him even more than just the Justice League cartoon, way better than Superman Returns or whatever the hell that is called were the only think you can remember from the movie was Lex Luthor saying "WROOOOOOOOONG!!" I don't know if General Zod was a passed Superman villain but I hope they bring him back in like an animated movie or something, cause that dude is a far better bad guy than any other Superman villian, ...maybe Doomsday can beat him It makes me connect to Superman even more instead of knowing his origin from Death Battle with Goku VS Superman at Screwattack. It made me feel more connected to Louis and Clark's relationship besides the cartoon I watched years ago, the only thing I kinda questioned was why wasn't Superman doing any one liners like he did in the cartoons and comics? He's all serious but  I guess its passable since when I see him I think of the cartoon version or the Injustice version.

If you didn't watch it yet or not a big comic book fan, I hope you do in the summer, and i wasn't a superman fan before but now I am. Funny cause I really wanted to storm out the doors and go "YEEEAAAH! DADADAAA DADADADADAAAAAAA!!!" singing the Superman theme.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#2 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 15 June 2013 - 02:46 PM

It was good for a movie about Superman. Definitely not as boring as the older movies. I got a little bit bored in the beginning. I'm honestly still not a big fan of Superman. The action in the movie was cool, but I kind of got annoyed of how indestructible super man is. I wasn't really worried about him getting beaten. He didn't show any weakness whatsoever (besides getting somewhat tired towards the end). But in the end, the villains didn't even seem very threatening (although they were definitely cooler than some other superman villains). 

Another thing that bothers me is that Superman would be really easy to identify even if he "disguised" himself because he doesn't wear a mask. He just puts on glasses and no one seems to even recognize him.

I did like that they explained how Kyrpton ended up being destroyed though. They did a good job with the child hood scenes as well. 

I liked the movie, but I still am not a big fan of superman.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#3 ProjectX3dsman

ProjectX3dsman

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:37 PM

Just saw it alittle while ago. It was pretty good, and yea Zod is canonical.

#4 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 15 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

Better than Superman Returns by far. They actually captured the feel of the early comics somewhat. 

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#5 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 15 June 2013 - 07:16 PM

I'm waiting until the theaters empty out to see it.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 09:17 PM

I can't wait to go and see this movie, I've been waiting litterally ages, I've no money at the moment because me and my fiancee are both jobless, but I do have a job trial on Monday so wish me luck *fingers crossed*

#7 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:12 PM

Best movie I've ever seen.

Superman is not the character you have fighting some bald Everyman.

Or rescuing cats.

Superman should be sci fi on the epic scale of lord of the rings.

And now it is!

Superman has been redefined.

Everyone who never liked him will love him now.

A better movie than batman. A better movie than avengers.

Just amazing.

#8 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:16 PM

The whole film just took itself far too seriously and there was absolutely no humour throughout the entire film. Instead, there was far too much action and so there lacked any real character development, then again with Henry Cavill's stiff acting I doubt character development would've been worthwhile anyway. And despite the action packed scenes, it soon becomes very repetitive (how many times do we have to see invincible men being thrown into walls?) and you never felt like superman was in any danger he was invincible throughout the entire film.

It was an ok film, but not an ok superman film.

5/10

Not worth the cinema ticket, use the money to buy a box set of Superman 1 and 2 instead.

Edited by Hunter, 17 June 2013 - 10:19 PM.

#9 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:37 AM

I'm guessing by what was written that a couple people here never even saw it but wrote anyway. The movie is zero like any other superman movie. Superman does get hurt/in danger, (even the oil rig/fire scene aftermath in the early portion) and you almost never ever see a pair of glasses on his face.

The beginning was action packed. It literally started off with a bang.

The cgi is some of the best ever seen.

The story was perfect and inspired. The movie never lulled or wasted time on anything, yet never cheated a scene of its time either.

The movie was intense. And solved the problems inherent in making a movie about such a powerful hero.

So glad that neither Luther nor kryptonite were anywhere to be found.

Forget all other superman movies. This movie has zero resemblance. Instead of tying themselves down to previous work, they started new and simply created a masterpiece.

If they keep superman epic and on a galactic scale like this, it will continue to be the superhero movie all others aspire to.

Doomsday is now viable. Darkseid, etc.

Can't wait for #2!

Really great stuff to look forward to.

#10 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:56 AM

I'm guessing by what was written that a couple people here never even saw it but wrote anyway. The movie is zero like any other superman movie. Superman does get hurt/in danger, (even the oil rig/fire scene aftermath in the early portion) and you almost never ever see a pair of glasses on his face.

The beginning was action packed. It literally started off with a bang.

The cgi is some of the best ever seen.

The story was perfect and inspired. The movie never lulled or wasted time on anything, yet never cheated a scene of its time either.

The movie was intense. And solved the problems inherent in making a movie about such a powerful hero.

So glad that neither Luther nor kryptonite were anywhere to be found.

Forget all other superman movies. This movie has zero resemblance. Instead of tying themselves down to previous work, they started new and simply created a masterpiece.

If they keep superman epic and on a galactic scale like this, it will continue to be the superhero movie all others aspire to.

Doomsday is now viable. Darkseid, etc.

Can't wait for #2!

Really great stuff to look forward to.

Because people don't have the same opinion as you that means they have never even seen the film? Genius.

#11 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

I liked it, I feel the best parts of the film are the villeins and cgi. The one major draw back was the script, it felt forced at times( kevin costner, russle crowe) and it had underdeveloped characters. It had a ton of moments where I felt the movie was grabbing my hand and telling me that Superman is Jesus Christ and stuff, I just found real funny. Especially those Kevin Costner lines "your the one Clark", or "Your the answer to the universe" and "your gonna have to choose Clark" it just felt cheesy and forced. So basically to me the movie was good it's about 2 hours and 20 mins long and I would say the first 30 mins or so are good, the next 40 are a mix bag for me( again some weird decisions with script/story) then the villeins come in and save the movie(still some mixed stuff in there).

#12 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 18 June 2013 - 07:13 AM

I was talking about a flaw in superman as a character. I wasn't saying I didn't like the movie because he puts glasses on his face. Since superman doesn't have a mask, people would be easily aware of his "secret identity" because he just puts on glasses. Just because I am not particularly fond of the movie doesn't mean I haven't seen it. 

fox.gif

#13 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:31 AM

Because people don't have the same opinion as you that means they have never even seen the film? Genius.

Not at all.

Because of post content.

When people are completely vague about what they like and then say they dislike things that actually never happened, then it's just trolling.

Genius indeed. Someone's all butthurt so they start using sarcastic names. Great, smart guy!

I was talking about a flaw in superman as a character. I wasn't saying I didn't like the movie because he puts glasses on his face. Since superman doesn't have a mask, people would be easily aware of his "secret identity" because he just puts on glasses. Just because I am not particularly fond of the movie doesn't mean I haven't seen it.

You were talking about the movie. Then instead of mentioning anything about the movie, go into a rant on why you don't like the character. And none of the things you mention even exist in the movie.

The reality is, this is the problem. People can't get past what they've seen before so they close their minds to anything new.

Then something new happens and they refuse to accept it. Not based on its own merit, but the past.

This is new. They "fix" a lot. And make the man of steel what he should have been all along.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 18 June 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#14 Mara

Mara

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:
    DC Comics, One Piece, Monster Hunter

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

It was good for a movie about Superman. Definitely not as boring as the older movies. I got a little bit bored in the beginning. I'm honestly still not a big fan of Superman. The action in the movie was cool, but I kind of got annoyed of how indestructible super man is. I wasn't really worried about him getting beaten. He didn't show any weakness whatsoever (besides getting somewhat tired towards the end). But in the end, the villains didn't even seem very threatening (although they were definitely cooler than some other superman villains). 

Another thing that bothers me is that Superman would be really easy to identify even if he "disguised" himself because he doesn't wear a mask. He just puts on glasses and no one seems to even recognize him.

I did like that they explained how Kyrpton ended up being destroyed though. They did a good job with the child hood scenes as well. 

I liked the movie, but I still am not a big fan of superman.

The older movies aren't boring. Superman isn't indestructible. His disguise is genius.

tumblr_mnhpywxuMx1ryr1z3o1_250.gif

#15 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:52 AM

Just because I am not particularly fond of the movie doesn't mean I haven't seen it. 

This^^

Plus this is a "spoiler free" thread after all, so no one is going to mention specific parts of the film.

Then something new happens and they refuse to accept it. Not based on its own merit, but the past.

Stop making assumptions. This film has lots of flaws, less than Superman Returns (and it's a much more enjoyable film altogether) but it is still nowhere near a "great" movie. Personally, I want something different to the older films, and I hope they can improve on the new concept in the sequels. But throwing in lots of action and making it "dark" and "serious" isn't what Superman is about.

The ending also bothered me a lot.

#16 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:03 AM

You were talking about the movie. Then instead of mentioning anything about the movie, go into a rant on why you don't like the character. And none of the things you mention even exist in the movie.

The reality is, this is the problem. People can't get past what they've seen before so they close their minds to anything new.

This is new. They "fix" a lot. And make the man of steel what he should have been all along.

I thought this movie was way better than the others. I even said in my initial post that I liked the movie, i'm just not that big of a fan superman. 

--

I don't understand how putting on glasses is a genius disguise. I guess it's just a matter of opinion. 

fox.gif

#17 Mara

Mara

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:02 AM

I thought this movie was way better than the others. I even said in my initial post that I liked the movie, i'm just not that big of a fan superman. 

--

I don't understand how putting on glasses is a genius disguise. I guess it's just a matter of opinion. 

Superman is bold, colourful, handsome, strong, fast etc. where as Clark is a badly dressed, bumbling oaf that's always bumping into people. They're so vastly different from each other that it just seems stupid to suspect they're the same person. Kind of reminds me of Bruce Wayne going on internet forums to discuss the identity of Batman so he can flame the fire and make it seem like the idea of Bruce Wayne being Batman is crazy.

#18 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:38 AM

This^^

Plus this is a "spoiler free" thread after all, so no one is going to mention specific parts of the film.

Stop making assumptions. This film has lots of flaws, less than Superman Returns (and it's a much more enjoyable film altogether) but it is still nowhere near a "great" movie. Personally, I want something different to the older films, and I hope they can improve on the new concept in the sequels. But throwing in lots of action and making it "dark" and "serious" isn't what Superman is about.

The ending also bothered me a lot.

They didn't make it dark and serious.  But they didn't make it a camp-fest either.

It was an epic.  It had humor as well.  but they didn't sit on it. they moved on.  You knew it was funny, but didn't have to emphasise it.

This wasn't a Michael Bay film with random action.  This had great choreography, everything was clear and well understood. and all the action had meaning. In addition, it was never detached from the story, which was also great.  It was all woven together better than any movie on this scale I have seen.  Even Lord of the Rings had more random action than this did.  And that was also a great series of Films.

The ending bothered me too.

but in reality, it's nothing different than cops do or soldiers.  It was a very hard decision.  but necessary. 

It was supposed to be troubling.  I think we all felt the gravity of an unbelievably difficult decision.

That's part of what made the move great.

Put in Supermans' same proverbial shoes, I don't think any man would do differently.

As for the certain sequel, I just hope they don't "earth" it down.  and focus on the Daily Planet, etc. keep it huge, epic, and galactic, with Earth at the core.

I think the Nolan, Snyder combo is amazing.

Snyder is the guy you want for the cool factor.  Nolan keeps it all making sense and feeling real.

Man of Steel brought the best out of both of them.

This was in every respect a truly great film.

#19 Mara

Mara

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:10 PM

I think the Nolan, Snyder combo is amazing.

I get the vibe it's Goyer that's keeping it real, not Nolan. And I can see it getting more golden age with how critics are responding. Not muh Donner etc.

#20 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 18 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Hey guys, try to keep on topic. Make another thread if you want to talk about super heroes that deserves movies. I hid the posts that didn't contribute to the main topic of the thread. 

fox.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!