Photo

Sony's Secret DRM Plan same as Xbox One?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:30 AM

In case you guys dont remember, Sony filed an anti-used games patent back in January. It sounds EERILY familiar to what Microsoft has done with the Xbox One:

http://www.screwatta...ed-games-patent

Does anyone else think Sony might have a secret DRM plan in place? We already know that they said used games will be left up to the 3rd party publishers - meaning they could require one-time codes to play online or get characters etc. But what I'm talking about is a "flip of the switch", behind the scenes, type of thing that essentially implements the same DRM policies that Microsoft is doing.

This IS Sony, after all. They are major RIAA supports, they are in the music/movie/gaming industry and to they loathe piracy/second hand content that doesn't make them money. 

I did pre-order a PS4, extra controller and Battlefield 4 yesterday at Gamestop because I really hate the Xbox One policies. But the more that I think about it, the more afraid I am that I'm buying into a ploy of sorts, and that Sony is over-promising on their comparably-relaxed policies. I don't want to be $600 into the PS4, only to find out that 3rd party publishers of PS4 games will also be able to determine what used games can sell for, how I can lend games out, etc. 

One last thing.. assuming Sony really has no plans at all to implement the same DRM as Microsoft, I think it was perhaps a brilliant move by Sony to file that anti-used games patent. It essentially made Microsoft think - GREAT! Sony is doing it too, consumers will have no choice! So at E3 Microsoft didn't hesitate to tell us all about their DRM policies because they truly thought Sony was going to be in the same boat. So Sony's patent suckered Microsoft into shooting themselves in the foot, while Sony was left to gain HUGE leads in popular votes across basically every poll out.

What do you guys think?

Posted Image

#2 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 16 June 2013 - 09:34 AM

One last thing.. assuming Sony really has no plans at all to implement the same DRM as Microsoft, I think it was perhaps a brilliant move by Sony to file that anti-used games patent. It essentially made Microsoft think - GREAT! Sony is doing it too, consumers will have no choice! So at E3 Microsoft didn't hesitate to tell us all about their DRM policies because they truly thought Sony was going to be in the same boat. So Sony's patent suckered Microsoft into shooting themselves in the foot, while Sony was left to gain HUGE leads in popular votes across basically every poll out.

So basically, Somy Asian-b****ed Microsoft? Score one for Sony!

Edited by Ultra, 16 June 2013 - 09:35 AM.

I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#3 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:02 PM

In case you guys dont remember, Sony filed an anti-used games patent back in January. It sounds EERILY familiar to what Microsoft has done with the Xbox One:
http://www.screwatta...ed-games-patent

Does anyone else think Sony might have a secret DRM plan in place? We already know that they said used games will be left up to the 3rd party publishers - meaning they could require one-time codes to play online or get characters etc. But what I'm talking about is a "flip of the switch", behind the scenes, type of thing that essentially implements the same DRM policies that Microsoft is doing.

This IS Sony, after all. They are major RIAA supports, they are in the music/movie/gaming industry and to they loathe piracy/second hand content that doesn't make them money. 

I did pre-order a PS4, extra controller and Battlefield 4 yesterday at Gamestop because I really hate the Xbox One policies. But the more that I think about it, the more afraid I am that I'm buying into a ploy of sorts, and that Sony is over-promising on their comparably-relaxed policies. I don't want to be $600 into the PS4, only to find out that 3rd party publishers of PS4 games will also be able to determine what used games can sell for, how I can lend games out, etc. 

What do you guys think?

Personally I think you're reading too much imto it. Companies file patents all the time but it doesn't mean that will introduce whatever's behind those patents. Sony have already stated where they stand and what they plan on doing.

#4 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Legend of Zelda

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:32 PM

Interesting thoughts. Some might say you're going too far into it, but I think not. Especially since we know they're in the music/entertainement industry. They might have just taken the opportunity to crush M$ during E3. But honestly, the fact we will have to pay for online for PS4 is disgusting.

Posted Image

#5 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 12:54 PM

I think Sony did say that it was eventually up to the developer, but unless they outright lied at E3 I doubt it can be that bad.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#6 XxNightfallxX

XxNightfallxX

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Blind Guardian, Elder Scrolls

Posted 16 June 2013 - 01:10 PM

i figured I couldn't trust Sony either....

#7 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 16 June 2013 - 02:04 PM

My guess is that Sony was considering it then backed out knowing they could crush the competition if they didn't implement it.

Signature_DK.png

#8 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:16 PM

My guess is that Sony was considering it then backed out knowing they could crush the competition if they didn't implement it.

This is highly possible, but at the same time, crushing the competition would steal fans from M$, but in the long run, no DRM would still mean losing money for Sony. M$ would fail, but Sony as well, and that's not a viable option neither for them. I'm not sure what decision is best, I might go look up some info to calculate that...

Posted Image

#9 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:19 PM

This is highly possible, but at the same time, crushing the competition would steal fans from M$, but in the long run, no DRM would still mean losing money for Sony. M$ would fail, but Sony as well, and that's not a viable option neither for them. I'm not sure what decision is best, I might go look up some info to calculate that...

DRM may save you from piracy but in the long run a dev/system will lose way way way more money then it gets. Just watch.

Signature_DK.png

#10 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

DRM may save you from piracy but in the long run a dev/system will lose way way way more money then it gets. Just watch.

Yup, I agree, but keep in mind there are many many uninformed customers. Keep that in mind. That's why I'm not sure of how it will affect their income.
Posted Image

#11 Plutonas

Plutonas

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:12 PM

I think they cant..

Even if they do it in 2-3-4-5 years after.. they cant still be accused for fraud... Because this decision/announcement made lots of people buying it.  Even if the sony EULA says : customers cannot lead sony in the courts.. this action, could bypass that for deception..

I think sony did that, because they also have lots of financial problems.. They use ps4 to be saved.. not to deceive.

Edited by Plutonas, 17 June 2013 - 02:14 PM.

#12 ccccombo

ccccombo

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 02:54 PM

Once they get an early lead against Xbox, they'll probably implement something similar, yes.

I prefer Nintendo's method of fighting used-game sales: creating better games that people don't want to sell!

#13 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:24 AM

Once they get an early lead against Xbox, they'll probably implement something similar, yes.

I prefer Nintendo's method of fighting used-game sales: creating better games that people don't want to sell!

If they screwed over customers like that it would be horrible PR so I doubt it.

Signature_DK.png

#14 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:40 AM

Interesting thoughts. Some might say you're going too far into it, but I think not. Especially since we know they're in the music/entertainement industry. They might have just taken the opportunity to crush M$ during E3. But honestly, the fact we will have to pay for online for PS4 is disgusting.

I don't think there is anything wrong in having to pay for online multiplayer on PS4. MS has been doing it for years. Sony is only following suit. Considering that its going to be part of PS Plus where you get discounts and free games its not all that bad. If they can provide a service as robust as Xbox Live then its worth it in my opinion.   

You're implying there aren't any top quality games on Sony and Microsoft consoles which simply isn't true. So there is no logic in your statement. Not to mention people who own Nintendo consoles also sell and trade games.

#15 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:08 AM

Yes, but used Nintendo games are not much cheaper. You can still end up paying $60 for a NES game.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#16 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:11 AM

Yes, but used Nintendo games are not much cheaper. You can still end up paying $60 for a NES game.

That has nothing to do with the quality. Its all down to the fact that Nintendo games especially first party ones don't drop significantly in price for a long time. Its also because there generally isn't the surplus of individual new Nintendo titles out in the market place like there are of Sony and Microsoft console games.

#17 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

"That has nothing to do with the quality. Its all down to the fact that Nintendo games especially first party ones don't drop significantly in price for a long time."

You might want to take a harder look at the relation between those two sentences.

#18 Alianjaro

Alianjaro

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,317 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 12:38 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong in having to pay for online multiplayer on PS4. MS has been doing it for years. Sony is only following suit. Considering that its going to be part of PS Plus where you get discounts and free games its not all that bad. If they can provide a service as robust as Xbox Live then its worth it in my opinion.

Yup, following a bad trend. You already pay for Internet. Why would you have to pay to "unlock" online gaming on your console? Plus, it has been that way for something like 8 years, there's no good reason whatsoever to continue that bad trend. I know they have to pay the staff that is working on maintenance, but come on, they have the money.

But that's my stand, I can't claim I'm right.
Posted Image

#19 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 05:00 PM

It would create a really bad reputation for them and many fans would never trust them ever again if they did a bait and switch. I don't think they will actually do that. Now if they really did this for the reason of tricking Microsoft then that is just brilliant, almost as great as the supposed Coca Cola formula change in order to kill all other competitors after reintroducing the original formula.

zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#20 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:30 PM

I'm gonna be open minded and say yes, Sony could royaly sc3w us over and do this, but I honestly doubt it though, however I will be keeping my eye on this for the first 6 - 12 months of PS4's release, I want to get a PS4 but I'm not going to rush into it like I did with Wii U, I don't want to be left disappointed again..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!