• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 ProjectX3dsman

ProjectX3dsman

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:29 PM

I am actually against DRM also, but the whole reason why developers and publishers are against used game sales is because they don't receive profit from a sale from a game they made and it is given to the place that sold said used game. It is only natural for actions to be used in order to stop such action. I would not say that this is "greed" rather that they are trying to get more money from their ips (which could range from a couple hundred to millions lost because of used games) and not doing so might actually mean a huge risk to said ip or developer. However, I do not believe doing such would gain much profit or interest due to people completely rejecting the idea look what is happening to the Xbox One before it even launches. This rejection is understandable for everyone can not afford games at straight retail, but the developers deserve money for the games they make and it is their GAME. Its their game and they have the right to drm it if they so please. I have seen comments everywhere that reject it without seemingly understanding the reasoning why. The Playstation route of the individual developer choosing DRM may be best.

#2 XxNightfallxX

XxNightfallxX

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Blind Guardian, Elder Scrolls

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

well i can understand wanting more profit from games but i figure a used game exists because the previous owner didn't want it anymore but before that person sold it off somewhere or traded it to gamestop, that person still paid full retail price for it which means that devs and publishers already made money off of it already.  And I don't know about anyone else but while the devs indeed are responsible of creating said game, once they sell it off to customers its not their property anymore.  I would like to think that the game belongs to the person who paid for it.

#3 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 16 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

POPULAR

What other industry operates that way?  

Car companies also lose out on a sale whenever I buy a used car.  Furniture companies lose out on sales when I use Craigslist.  If I don't have a house built, but buy one that has already been lived in, I'm taking that money away from construction companies.  An incalculable number of industries operate under the reality that used purchases are normal and expected.  

Unless you can adjust your points to explain why video games should be different, I don't see how any of them apply, since they're just as valid for almost any other non-service industry.  Or maybe you also think it would be legitimate for car makers to put devices in their cars that make them breakdown if the title is transferred?  

Edited by kokirii, 16 June 2013 - 03:59 PM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#4 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:01 PM

See, but that's not the consumers problem. I don't care what it is, but if you produce any sort of product to be sold on the market then there WILL be a used market for you product. Once someone has made a transaction with you for an item, it belongs to them. It is their property, and it is theirs to do with however they please. This is how the rest of the market works, why should the gaming market be any different? Why should developers be insulated from this? An even bigger question is why should gamers have to allow for this? This has to do with the concept of ownership. What the Xbone is trying to do is take away ownership from the consumer. It's not the consumer's job to care about the company. It's not the consumer's job to make sure they make a lot of money. The only thing a consumer should care about is themselves, where/how/what they choose to spend their money on, and then what they want to do with their property once they have purchased it. 

The bigger issue, the one that not only the gaming industry must now deal with is that their business model is antiquated and no longer works anymore. People don't have the money to spend $60 on a game that, most likely, is going to last them a relatively short amount of time. There is either very little replayability to the game because it's essentially one of these Hollywood style movies that's more flash the substance, OR it's a yearly release title that has very short shelf life because it's always being replaced by a newer version. Game sales are going down because people aren't interested in this anymore and they can't afford it anyways. Not to mention all of the BS such as DRM, Day-1 on disc DLC, etc. that a lot of people are simply sick of putting up with. The market has changed and developers are either going to have to adapt and change their ways to get with the times, or they will fall to the way-side. Either way, the burden shouldn't be put on the consumer to keep them afloat.

I think Reggie throws out a lot of BS PR talk, but I have to give him credit for what he said about used games. If you're worried about used games then make a better game. Make something so good that people won't want to get rid of it as soon as they've played it through one time. I mean, if your game isn't even worth someone to hang on to for at least a year, then was it really any good at all? 

pNgecl.gif

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:03 PM

Sue gamestop for selling a license they don't own then, since technically the license doesn't transfer.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:07 PM

What other industry operates that way?

Car companies also lose out on a sale whenever I buy a used car. Furniture companies lose out on sales when I use Craigslist. If I don't have a house built, but buy one that has already been lived in, I'm taking that money away from construction companies. An incalculable number of industries operate under the reality that used purchases are normal and expected.

Unless you can adjust your points to explain why video games should be different, I don't see how any of them apply, since they're just as valid for almost any other non-service industry. Or maybe you also think it would be legitimate for car makers to put devices in their cars that make them breakdown if the title is transferred?

Cars, furniture, and houses are all necessary, while video games are not. You also expect wear amd tear when you buy used cars amd such, while used video games are guaranteed to work just as well as new.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#7 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

Sue gamestop for selling a license they don't own then, since technically the license doesn't transfer.

They didn't sell a 'license'. They sold a disc that someone sold to them. They've done nothing illegal. People should have the right to do whatever they want with their possessions. If they want to get bent over the table by gamestop then that's their business. 

pNgecl.gif

#8 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

well i can understand wanting more profit from games but i figure a used game exists because the previous owner didn't want it anymore but before that person sold it off somewhere or traded it to gamestop, that person still paid full retail price for it which means that devs and publishers already made money off of it already. And I don't know about anyone else but while the devs indeed are responsible of creating said game, once they sell it off to customers its not their property anymore. I would like to think that the game belongs to the person who paid for it.

I agree with your earlier statement, and I'm not against used games, but the developer would only get the money from one sale, while multiple people experienced the full game.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#9 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:16 PM

I have the same answer as nintendo. Make better games that people dont want to sell.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#10 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:56 PM

Let me give you the business side:

Assuming I am in charge of one of these companies; If someone comes to me with a project, I do a break-even analysis. If that number is unrealistic, I send it back to the drawing board. They come back, we run the analysis again, we green light the project, we make money. 

Nintendo did this with the Wii. Realizing that the results of this analysis were unrealistic, they knew that the means did not justify the ends for them (or the large number of studios that are no longer with us). We got the Wii and DS, which, were supposed to innovate rather than dramatically increase costs. 

This is why I do not understand forcing DRM. It is attempting to make the market adapt to a broken model instead of, you guessed it, maximizing customer utility through adapting to reality and actually innovating. Games are not movies, trying to make them become movies will kill the industry. 

#11 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 16 June 2013 - 04:58 PM

They didn't sell a 'license'. They sold a disc that someone sold to them. They've done nothing illegal. People should have the right to do whatever they want with their possessions. If they want to get bent over the table by gamestop then that's their business. 

Everything you buy to do with software is just a license to use the software, the physical disc is worth a fraction of a cent.

You can not sell your license to that software, read the fine print. Therefore, you can not sell the disc's contents, therefore, you can not sell the disc.

What gamestop are doing is piracy, it's just done by a huge company who also happens to make the software companies money.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#12 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:07 PM

If they go after someone for the profit, it should be game stores like GameStop. They need to stop attacking consumers. Just take some profit from used game sales instead of this DRM crap.

Posted Image

#13 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 16 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Everything you buy to do with software is just a license to use the software, the physical disc is worth a fraction of a cent.

You can not sell your license to that software, read the fine print. Therefore, you can not sell the disc's contents, therefore, you can not sell the disc.

What gamestop are doing is piracy, it's just done by a huge company who also happens to make the software companies money.

Sorry but you are WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. 

Check the back of most any DS game's booklet. "Game & Accessory Warranty" - "Nintendo warrants to the original purchaser that the product (games and accessories)...".

Keywords: Original Purchaser; Games

Meaning I purchased the game - NOT a license to PLAY the game. I literally OWN my copy of the game. I OWN my physical product. They WARRANTY the product I received.

When you buy a game, you OWN the game. Period. End of discussion. 

Posted Image

#14 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 06:42 PM

I'm perfectly fine with the DRM for Steam, but that's because a) when I use my computer, even when I bring it elsewhere, I will have internet and B) 30% of my games cost me $2.50, 30% cost me $5, 30% cost me $7.50, and I have not paid more than $30 on a game. Thus, it is not worth it to resell my games.

For my console games are $40-$60 and more likely to be $60, and I have picked up a few used games for $35 or so. Games I find I don't like or want anymore I can easily sell for $20, maybe $40, and recuperate most of the cost.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#15 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 16 June 2013 - 07:14 PM

Understandable but that why I never got man about the $10-$15 online code for use games.

But paying a big fee for a use game is crazy.

And what if u wanna bring the game to your friends house and play? With the MS x one. You can't.

So imo that sucks.

I paid for the game out of pocket. I should be able to bring it to a friend's house, or sell it and make some cash.

It's like buying a car and not being able to change anything to sell it to anyone. Even tho u paid cash for it.

So that's just my view on it tho.

I

Do understand that the game devs loss money because it's someone would of brought it new. But same for a car, house, tv, etc.... 

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#16 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

Okay, I'm just gonna stop you right there before you get your arm permanently stuck up your ass and have to go to the ER. IF what you were saying was even partially true, and what gamestop is doing counts as piracy then don't you think all of the developers would join together for a giant ass joint-action lawsuit against them? It's not like they're the only retailer around.

pNgecl.gif

#17 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 16 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

But what if you have crappy internet or no internet? Besides I don't wan't to buy a system that will be useless years down the line. And what about Diablo and Simcity?!?!

That is bullcrap and you know it. Microtransactions are hurting the industry. PEOPLE YOUR WALLETS SPEAK TO THESE CORRUPT PRACTICES. Sorry to type caps but that is important.

Signature_DK.png

#18 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 16 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Cars, furniture, and houses are all necessary, while video games are not. You also expect wear amd tear when you buy used cars amd such, while used video games are guaranteed to work just as well as new.

So, you actually mean that only products that are considered "necessary" (by whom?) should be allowed to sell used...? What kind of logic is that?

#19 XxNightfallxX

XxNightfallxX

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Blind Guardian, Elder Scrolls

Posted 17 June 2013 - 12:46 AM

i'm just glad game publishers don't run the food industry or the liquor industry.  Its bad enough that they want to turn video game purchases into over glorified rentals, if they took over the food industry most of us would probably starve and if they ran the liquor business I would have to stay sober for the rest of my life since they seem hell bent on overcharging everything and then charging extra tax as well.

#20 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:02 AM

I understand that completely. However, this happens in virtually every market. Ever heard of Garage Sales? Does the maker of the clothing you buy get any money then? What about those toy makers? I just sold my tablet I didn't want any more. Did HP get any money from that sale? What about used CD sales? Used movie sales? What about a store like goodwill, that sells all used items?

If you make something, it's going to get sold at some point. Assuming said item isn't digital (like downloading a game). Really, Microsoft could focus more on people buying digital games and the problem would be solved. If you buy a disc, it's yours. But if you buy digitally, then it's not able to be traded or sold. I would even make those digital games cheaper, and raise the cost of physical games.

That would be acceptable to me. But trying to change a paradigm that has been around for literally as long as ppl been selling product is just wrong.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!