Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:06 AM

I'm perfectly fine with the DRM for Steam, but that's because a) when I use my computer, even when I bring it elsewhere, I will have internet and B) 30% of my games cost me $2.50, 30% cost me $5, 30% cost me $7.50, and I have not paid more than $30 on a game. Thus, it is not worth it to resell my games.

For my console games are $40-$60 and more likely to be $60, and I have picked up a few used games for $35 or so. Games I find I don't like or want anymore I can easily sell for $20, maybe $40, and recuperate most of the cost.

Even PC DRM is a gamble. Ever heard of error 37?

Signature_DK.png

#22 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:19 AM

Okay, I'm just gonna stop you right there before you get your arm permanently stuck up your ass and have to go to the ER. IF what you were saying was even partially true, and what gamestop is doing counts as piracy then don't you think all of the developers would join together for a giant ass joint-action lawsuit against them? It's not like they're the only retailer around.

It's not just gamestop, but gamestop go out of the way to canabalise the new game sales with their used games, and actively pursue it as a huge part of their business.

Their used games is at least 50% of their profits.

http://en.wikipedia....cense_agreement

http://arstechnica.c...ftware-licenses

Of course, in the EU, the clauses in EULA's that say you can't resell the game has been rejected.

http://www.destructo...ld-230641.phtml

See? Just because it's law doesn't mean it's enforced, but it is something you agree to when you play a game.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#23 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:22 AM

So, you actually mean that only products that are considered "necessary" (by whom?) should be allowed to sell used...? What kind of logic is that?

A place to live, a primary method of transport, and things to make a house more than 4 walls, a floor, and a ceiling are necessary, and if those are the only way to get the thinga you need, then you have to buy used. Not to mention that when you buy a car used, you never expect it to last longer than a cae you buy new. Same with a house and furniture. When you buy a used game, the retailer guarantees that the game works just as well as new, and if it doesn't they will repair it for almost nothing.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#24 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 05:56 AM

Avalanche has joined in on nintendos mantra of 'make better games to reduce used games sales'.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#25 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:37 AM

Even PC DRM is a gamble. Ever heard of error 37?

I've heard of it, but at this point it's more of a meme than a problem, like "remember the Alamo"

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#26 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:35 AM

A place to live, a primary method of transport, and things to make a house more than 4 walls, a floor, and a ceiling are necessary, and if those are the only way to get the thinga you need, then you have to buy used. Not to mention that when you buy a car used, you never expect it to last longer than a cae you buy new. Same with a house and furniture. When you buy a used game, the retailer guarantees that the game works just as well as new, and if it doesn't they will repair it for almost nothing.

That's one of the weirdest posts I've ever read.  :mellow:

#27 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 June 2013 - 09:42 AM

That's one of the weirdest posts I've ever read. :mellow:

What was wierd: the wear and tear, or the necessity?

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue

#28 logitech

logitech

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:01 PM

I think it's worth pointing out that a significant percent of used game sales go towards purchasing new games.  Take away used games and some people would buy significantly fewer new games.

#29 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 17 June 2013 - 08:35 PM

It's not just gamestop, but gamestop go out of the way to canabalise the new game sales with their used games, and actively pursue it as a huge part of their business.

Their used games is at least 50% of their profits.

http://en.wikipedia....cense_agreement

http://arstechnica.c...ftware-licenses

Of course, in the EU, the clauses in EULA's that say you can't resell the game has been rejected.

http://www.destructo...ld-230641.phtml

See? Just because it's law doesn't mean it's enforced, but it is something you agree to when you play a game.

Every used game they have was a new game once. Yes, they try their best to push used games, they're a business, they're out for profit. Let's just be clear, I don't support gamestop. I think they suck and should shrivel up and die, but they should die from their own BS towards customers. Not from game developers putting these sort of limits on the consumer. Nobody should be championing this, this will only end up hurting us the gamers and the industry as a whole.

I hope you like sequels, because if this goes through we won't be getting any new major IPs ever again, they'll be too risky for devs. Who is going to pay 40-60 bucks on something they're unsure about if there is no way for them to return it or put it towards something else? I agree with what Logitech said, but for different reasons. If people have no ability to trade/sell their games then they will stop buying as many games out of fear of wasting their money on a crappy game.

pNgecl.gif

#30 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

What was wierd: the wear and tear, or the necessity?

What's weird is that you are defending an absurd idea that you should be allowed to sell stuff only if it's not considered a necessity. I mean, how are you even going to implement laws about this? Will we have to travel to the factories to buy everything, because nobody is allowed to resell stuff? What if you start a business adjusting these "unnecessary" items, are you then allowed to sell them? Will I be allowed to buy raw materials and reuse that in the products I produce in my factory? Why should cars be considered necessary enough, so that you are allowed to resell it? And so on, and so forth...

#31 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:15 AM

Every used game they have was a new game once. Yes, they try their best to push used games, they're a business, they're out for profit. Let's just be clear, I don't support gamestop. I think they suck and should shrivel up and die, but they should die from their own BS towards customers. Not from game developers putting these sort of limits on the consumer. Nobody should be championing this, this will only end up hurting us the gamers and the industry as a whole.

I hope you like sequels, because if this goes through we won't be getting any new major IPs ever again, they'll be too risky for devs. Who is going to pay 40-60 bucks on something they're unsure about if there is no way for them to return it or put it towards something else? I agree with what Logitech said, but for different reasons. If people have no ability to trade/sell their games then they will stop buying as many games out of fear of wasting their money on a crappy game.

90% of games are bad, and bomb anyway.

Who's championing anything?
I'm telling you all you buy when you buy software is a license to use it.
They don't need to do DRM, just enforce their rights that they have already, but they'll never go after gamestop and co.

Edited by Nollog, 18 June 2013 - 01:18 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#32 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 June 2013 - 06:08 AM

What's weird is that you are defending an absurd idea that you should be allowed to sell stuff only if it's not considered a necessity. I mean, how are you even going to implement laws about this? Will we have to travel to the factories to buy everything, because nobody is allowed to resell stuff? What if you start a business adjusting these "unnecessary" items, are you then allowed to sell them? Will I be allowed to buy raw materials and reuse that in the products I produce in my factory? Why should cars be considered necessary enough, so that you are allowed to resell it? And so on, and so forth...

Ok, I see your point.

KtOSpy7.jpg

#33 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:56 PM

Game companies are so stupid, you don't see car makers b**ching because someone sells thier car do you, when it comes to games and the price of making them something is drastically wrong, if Square Enix is hoping for more than 5 Mil sales with a reboot of Tomb Raider thier business strategy is failing, and that's what it comes down to I'm affraid, a lot of devs arn't making the money they hoped to make and they blame it on used games, it utterly stupid, every day I facepalm at the gaming industry because it's getting more childish by the hour, starting to get sick of the p**sing contests between publishers and devs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!