YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:02 PM

http://www.gamespot....u-sales-6410425

Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata has directly addressed the reason why the Wii U console has sold poorly.

In an interview with CNBC, he discussed why Nintendo's newest console, the Wii U, has not met sales expectations.

"We are to blame. We relaxed our [marketing] efforts, so the consumers today still cannot understand what's so good and unique about the Wii U," Iwata said.

"We have been unsuccessful in coming up with one single software with which people can understand, 'OK, this is really different.' As long as people have hands-on [experience], they can appreciate the value of the Wii U, but because there's not software that's simple and obvious for people as 'Wii Sports' for the Wii, potential consumers do not feel like trying the Wii U."

Iwata should be appreciated more, he's been taking a lot of Nintendo's negative press head on.  Hopefully things start to pick up soon. 

• Doc likes this

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:07 PM

I really like iwata. Well now that he's said it to the press, I hope they are going to "really" try and do something about it.

#3 XxNightfallxX

XxNightfallxX

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 126 posts
  • Fandom:
    Blind Guardian, Elder Scrolls

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

having a burnt offering to the gods might be as good of a plan as any for Nintendo at this point.  In all seriousness though, I do hope things turn out better for the wii u.  Wouldn't want to own this console to play like just 4 games on it.

#4 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:18 PM

Iwatta, keeps making the same bloody mistakes over and over again and I'm sick of bieng promised by him things that don't happen, fire him, nuff said.

#5 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 09:24 PM

Who the perkele cares? Nintendo has until the PS4 and Xbox 1.0 hits stores to perfectly plan their strategy, and they already have a head start. Preorders don't matter, because people that preorder have already made up their mind no matter what Nintendo does.

When the Xbone and PS4 comes out, surprise surprise: Nintendo with have an established console with The Biggest library of games currently available, along with a cheaper price (with the discount that is Officially Not Happening No Matter What You Remember From The 3DS Launch And What We Said Before The Vita Hit Stores) and fresh marketing materials that have not become tired yet.

People are comparing the Wii U to two unshipped consoles, and I don't think Microsoft is done shooting themselves in the foot.

Edited by grahamf, 18 June 2013 - 09:34 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#6 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 18 June 2013 - 10:18 PM

Wow. He just gained massive respect from me.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#7 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:12 AM

Actually  this is not  fully their fault,  they made some miscalculations when it came from going from wii - wii u. The jump  seems like it took a larger toll on them than they thought. Unlike most devs who started to lax their  quality to compensate Nintendo is trying to keep quality the key. Which means  games take longer... of course  when making games there is no certain outcomes and there is not a given time for when things will be done.  Which is why you can see the compensation they made. They are playing safe, games they can make even in hd without  as much time put in, this way they can output a  steady stream of titles while they work on bigger ones.

So can you blame nintnedo? sure... but I know they are doing what they can.

#8 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:33 AM

I think it is completely Iwata's fault he needs to be more aggressive with the competition, he needs to go all Yakuza on their ass. Really play rough. I'm talking holding Steve  Ballmer's wife hostage, burning shipments of PS4s, poach Crytek, or a large A++ western 3rd party, compete with not only unique games, but games that PS3 and 360 gamers want. Otherwise you'll sell 30 million units after 7 years. As only Nintendo fans will buy the console and you'll be stuck.

He should have branded Wii U a different name, and really had an aggressive marketing campaign, and not be so arrogant NOT to drop the price of the Wii U, its official price is only $50 and £50 lower than PS4, something at least 4x more powerful, with better third party support. New prices should definitely be $300/£250 to compete. I know nintendo doesn't like to lose money but really they have to at this point in time.

Edited by Penguin101, 19 June 2013 - 12:35 AM.

#9 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:34 AM

/bow

#10 ganados0

ganados0

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:53 AM

Nintendo had two years to do SOMETHING with Wii U yet all they did was twiddle their thumbs, talk rainbow and screw up. They can't fix this, they have nothing of mainstream appeal on the horizon, they are creatively bankrupt in their own forthcoming IPs and even Xbox One's smartglass shown Wii U up at E3.

As a gamer for a long time it seems Nintendo's been out of touch this past decade in their bid for non gamers.

#11 Eskimo_sam

Eskimo_sam

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

Nintendo had two years to do SOMETHING with Wii U yet all they did was twiddle their thumbs, talk rainbow and screw up. They can't fix this, they have nothing of mainstream appeal on the horizon, they are creatively bankrupt in their own forthcoming IPs and even Xbox One's smartglass shown Wii U up at E3.

As a gamer for a long time it seems Nintendo's been out of touch this past decade in their bid for non gamers.

i completely agree. watching mario climb walls like a cat will not make me fork out 300 + dollars to play it no thanks. nintendo need to maybe listen to nintendo america or nintendo europe because nintendo in japan is lame and boring like goin to your nanas house

#12 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:14 AM

Hold your horses there. They've only had 6 moths so far, and they've had some great gems come out. I also think X and Smash Bros have a lot of mainstream appeal 

For me personally I've enjoyed playing Zombi U, Lego City Undercover, New Super Mario Bros, I'm looking forward to actually trying pikmin for the first time,  Certainly looking forward to Wonderful 101, Wind Waker, and Mario 3D world. As I hated all 3D marios before 3D land converted me. Not to mention third parties such as Assassin's Creed 3 and 4, Arkham City and Arkham Origins, alongside the Abe remake

Next year I have Mario Kart, Smash Bros, X AND Zelda U to look forward to. 

Edited by Penguin101, 19 June 2013 - 01:20 AM.

#13 ganados0

ganados0

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:24 AM

Hold your horses there. They've only had 6 moths so far, and they've had some great gems come out. I also think X and Smash Bros have a lot of mainstream appeal 

I mean they had two years since it's reveal to get things together for it's launch last year.

They should have done more research on what gamers want from consoles,both for their own IPs like Nintendoland and for the virtual console which has been a bit of a joke with mere NES and SNES offerings.

They should have put a stranglehold on third parties efforts on the system to avoid things like Mass Effect 3 coming out next to a trilogy compilation for the same price.

It's disheartening see see them say they'll shift their focus to Wii U six months after it's launch and preview games of Wii/3DS quality.

#14 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 01:38 AM

I mean they had two years since it's reveal to get things together for it's launch last year.

They should have done more research on what gamers want from consoles,both for their own IPs like Nintendoland and for the virtual console which has been a bit of a joke with mere NES and SNES offerings.

They should have put a stranglehold on third parties efforts on the system to avoid things like Mass Effect 3 coming out next to a trilogy compilation for the same price.

It's disheartening see see them say they'll shift their focus to Wii U six months after it's launch and preview games of Wii/3DS quality.

I admit they should have gone all out and poached some propper 3rd party support, even if it meant buying them off for launch year. Even if it meant paying Epic off to give Unreal 4 support to Wii U etc. All that possitive press and next gen games coming early to Wii U should have been a priority

#15 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:21 AM

Maybe if we offer Patcher as a sacrifice to satan, maybe we will see increased sales.

What? It's not like were losing anything important for trying -_-

Posted Image

This is where it ends

#16 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:33 AM

http://www.gamespot....u-sales-6410425

Iwata should be appreciated more, he's been taking a lot of Nintendo's negative press head on.  Hopefully things start to pick up soon. 

The issues comes from the fact that he isnt full of anwers either.  What are you doing to correct this Mr. Iwata?  Thats the problem when your the CEO, you cant look around and say I dont know what to do, your the top guy, you paid the big bucks to have the answers.  Sony is already marketing the PS4, I watched a commercial the other night on TV, and Nintendo has very little TV advertisments for the Wii U.  I still feel that marketing is the Wii U's biggest hurdle right now. 

#17 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:10 AM

The issues comes from the fact that he isnt full of anwers either.  What are you doing to correct this Mr. Iwata?  Thats the problem when your the CEO, you cant look around and say I dont know what to do, your the top guy, you paid the big bucks to have the answers.  Sony is already marketing the PS4, I watched a commercial the other night on TV, and Nintendo has very little TV advertisments for the Wii U.  I still feel that marketing is the Wii U's biggest hurdle right now. 

Yep, right now I went into my local GAME store (gamestop for you yanks) and there was someone asking if Wii U games worked for the Wii, NO-ONE in the general public know that the Wii U exists and that it's a next gen console from Nintendo. No-one knows it can do the same social media stuff that the PS4 and XBO can do, and NO-ONE knows about off-screen mode, they just think its a £300 controller or tablet. They really need top start advertising, and advertising now, especially showing games montages of what you can play on the Wii U

They need to ram it down people's throats, pay for good publicity. at least to get the public interested and  play the thing see what a quality product Nintendo have. Otherwise they're going to be left in the dust.

Edited by Penguin101, 19 June 2013 - 06:15 AM.

#18 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:13 AM

Yep, right now I went into my local GAME store (gamestop for you yanks) and there was someone asking if Wii U games worked for the Wii, NO-ONE in the general public know that the Wii U exists and that it's a next gen console from Nintendo. No-one knows it can do the same social media stuff that the PS4 and XBO can do, and NO-ONE knows about off-screen mode, they just think its a £300 controller or tablet. They really need top start advertising, and advertising now, especially showing games montages of what you can play on the Wii U

They need to ram it down people's throats, pay for good publicity. at least to get the public interested.

Problem with gamestop is (at least in my area) they don't have the system on display. Walmart, Toys R Us, Target, Best Buy, all have Wii U on display with gamepad, running demos and allowing you to test it out.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#19 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:32 AM

Problem with gamestop is (at least in my area) they don't have the system on display. Walmart, Toys R Us, Target, Best Buy, all have Wii U on display with gamepad, running demos and allowing you to test it out.

The trouble is they had the game on display, in fact one of their kids was playing the system, and wanted a Wii U game, it was the parents (who ultimately are going to buy the console)  who didn't get the concept of a Wii U as a new system, and didn't want to buy one game for a £320 console. The sales assistant didn't even bother trying to sell the console either.

#20 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:34 AM

Iwatta, keeps making the same bloody mistakes over and over again and I'm sick of bieng promised by him things that don't happen, fire him, nuff said.

What has he promised that hasn't happened?

He doesn't answer, ultimately, to you, or any other consumer.  He answers to the board of directors, and you can rest assured that he is providing them with what he plans to do, even if we have to wait as the plan unfolds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!