17 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 19 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

You know what, anger over. Watching longer playthroughs DK: Tropical Freeze is going on my must buy list, it's actually converted me to DK. In fact those who want a Mario Galaxy should probably go for DK:TF because it's got some interesting gameplay mechanics with the 3D camera in a 2.5D game.

Personally both DK: TF and Super Mario 3D World will be on my amazon wish list. I feel that we can expect a lot from the core game area of things in 2014, and I'm ok with that.

Anyone else ok with DK now you've had time to watch gameplay, or maybe even try the game out?

#2 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:00 AM

If anyone was Gonna handle a dk side scroller retro is the ones I'd want to do it. The wii version s awesome.

#3 Dragon

Dragon

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,070 posts
  • Fandom:
    Playing my Wii U!

Posted 19 June 2013 - 05:44 AM

I am looking forward to DKC Tropical Freeze. I'm a big DK fan!

Posted Image

#4 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

I have to try out DK country returns first, gonna wait for a 3DS price drop for the game if I can...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#5 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 19 June 2013 - 06:57 AM

The thing that made me angry isn't only that it's a DK game but IT'S ANOTHER COUNTRY ONE WITH A VERY SIMILAR ENGINE TO COUNTRY RETURNS!!!! I mean how many 3D Donkey games do we have? eeer 1! (DK64) and how many 2D games err.. FRICKIN' EIGHT!!! (Donkey Kong Country 1-3 Donkey Kong Land 1-3 Donkey Kong Jungle beat and Donkey Kong Country Returns) with 6 ports (Country 1 for GBC and GBA, Country 2 and 3 for GBA, Jungle beat for Wii and Returns for 3DS). I mean a 3D Donkey Kong would've been nice... Before you say DK64 sold badly, it didn't. It sold atleast 3.7 million copies (Most likely 4-5 million) which is very good especially for a 64 game. Oh well, I might be buying this, but I'm still disappointed with retro.

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

#6 Phanto

Phanto

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts
  • NNID:Phanto

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:00 AM

I will never understand why another addition to the greatest series of Donkey Kong games to ever exist resulted in anger. Honestly, it's like those people never cared for Donkey Kong Country. Ever. And for Nintendo acknowledge the fact that it was one of the greatest franchises to ever appear on the SNES was complete heresey.

Everyone who got angry is a jerk of the grandest caliber.

#7 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:04 AM

I will never understand why another addition to the greatest series of Donkey Kong games to ever exist resulted in anger. Honestly, it's like those people never cared for Donkey Kong Country. Ever. And for Nintendo acknowledge the fact that it was one of the greatest franchises to ever appear on the SNES was complete heresey.

you gotta admit, having a 3D DK would've been better I mean we already have 8 2D titles. Not to mention it's impossible to play DK64 other than on the N64 itself, so we can't even play that game via Virtual Console!

#8 Phanto

Phanto

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:08 AM

you gotta admit, having a 3D DK would've been better I mean we already have 8 2D titles. Not to mention it's impossible to play DK64 other than on the N64 itself, so we can't even play that game via Virtual Console!

Oh my gosh! So much no. All of my no. No. No! NO!!! Donkey Kong 64 is so wrong of an answer there is absolutely no word for it in any language of all existence. Donkey Kong Country is a 2D platformer and it works best that way. When Rare went and made the worst 3D platformer, the one to kill future 3D platformers, they failed. Epically.

I have a link that has a games developer going on record saying that DK64 was responsible for killing the 3D platformer, if you wish me to post it.

#9 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:10 AM

Oh my gosh! So much no. All of my no. No. No! NO!!! Donkey Kong 64 is so wrong of an answer there is absolutely no word for it in any language of all existence. Donkey Kong Country is a 2D platformer and it works best that way. When Rare went and made the worst 3D platformer, the one to kill future 3D platformers, they failed. Epically.

I have a link that has a games developer going on record saying that DK64 was responsible for killing the 3D platformer, if you wish me to post it.

well I liked it and I know many friends who do, it's sold a lot too. But go ahead post the "evidence" that it "killed" 3D Platformers.

#10 Phanto

Phanto

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:14 AM

well I liked it and I know many friends who do, it's sold a lot too. But go ahead post the "evidence" that it "killed" 3D Platformers.

http://www.nintendol...ion_platformers

Donkey Kong 64 was so terrible. I admit that I bought it, but that's because I don't read reviews. Oh gosh, if I had just read one review, just one, I'd have saved so much time and money. Worst game ever.

But I know there are those out there who liked it. A minority group of gamers who won't really buy enough copies of Donkey Kong 64 U to make it worth the effort. I'm just saying, no offense to anyone intended...

I'm actually part of a small minority group of Nintendo gamers who enjoyed Super Princess Peach and wish for a sequel. Snowball's chance in hell of that happening. Dang it.

Edited by Phanto, 19 June 2013 - 07:18 AM.

#11 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

http://www.nintendol...ion_platformers

Donkey Kong 64 was so terrible. I admit that I bought it, but that's because I don't read reviews. Oh gosh, if I had just read one review, just one, I'd have saved so much time and money. Worst game ever.

But I know there are those out there who liked it. A minority group of gamers who won't really buy enough copies of Donkey Kong 64 U to make it worth the effort. I'm just saying, no offense to anyone intended...

I'm actually part of a small minority group of Nintendo gamers who enjoyed Super Princess Peach and wish for a sequel. Snowball's chance in hell of that happening. Dang it.

Except... that it did get good reviews and it had 88% and 90% on GameRankings and Metacritic respectively. 
Look I see that you hate it but I wouldn't go on and say that very few people liked the game. A game can't sell 3.7 million and get good reviews easily. How could you call it the worst game ever? It's certainly not the worst. Well that's what I think but you know everyone has their own opinion.

#12 Phanto

Phanto

Blooper

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:38 AM

Except... that it did get good reviews and it had 88% and 90% on GameRankings and Metacritic respectively. 
Look I see that you hate it but I wouldn't go on and say that very few people liked the game. A game can't sell 3.7 million and get good reviews easily. How could you call it the worst game ever? It's certainly not the worst. Well that's what I think but you know everyone has their own opinion.

I respect your opinion and will say no more on the subject. I'm just really happy that Retro made Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze. 'Nuff said.

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 07:41 AM

:(

I cant speak for everyone else, but thats exactly the reason im dissapointed with another dkc.

I just dont, and never have, cared for donkey kong country.

It looked like a great platformer, and certainly a great looking platformer, but for me, adventure games are always tiers above level based platformers.

If mario plays second fiddle to metroid and zelda for me, then yeah, dk is going to be even further down the list. Its not even really about franchises, its about genres.

Which leads to where we are now.

The developer responsible for the games of the highest calibur of our favourite genre, a severly under utilized, anemic, gameless, poor, starving genre devs dont like trying in the current risk adverse industry because its so hard to make right....

Is now another drop in the vast ocean of an oversaturated genre, we dont even really care about.

Its not just a single game in a franchise for us.

For us, a single entry for this genre, is practically THE ENTIRE GENRE at that point in time for us. Our games that we enjoy are just that rare.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 19 June 2013 - 09:26 AM

:(

I cant speak for everyone else, but thats exactly the reason im dissapointed with another dkc.

I just dont, and never have, cared for donkey kong country.

It looked like a great platformer, and certainly a great looking platformer, but for me, adventure games are always tiers above level based platformers.

If mario plays second fiddle to metroid and zelda for me, then yeah, dk is going to be even further down the list. Its not even really about franchises, its about genres.

Which leads to where we are now.

The developer responsible for the games of the highest calibur of our favourite genre, a severly under utilized, anemic, gameless, poor, starving genre devs dont like trying in the current risk adverse industry because its so hard to make right....

Is now another drop in the vast ocean of an oversaturated genre, we dont even really care about.

Its not just a single game in a franchise for us.

For us, a single entry for this genre, is practically THE ENTIRE GENRE at that point in time for us. Our games that we enjoy are just that rare.

100% agreed.  I don't mind them working on a DKC game, more power to them.  However this is a franchise I've never been very interested in.

I, along with many other people, wanted to see something more adventurous on Nintendo's part.  We wanted them to take a risk with a new IP, or revive a genre that gets so little attention it borders on criminal.

#15 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:25 AM

You know what? Until 2010, Donkey Kong hadn't seen any real love since 1999, he deserves another addition to the best platform games ever made. Mario is allowed sequel upon sequel upon sequel, so why is DK any different? Oh that's right because he's not Metroid. 

#16 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:32 AM

I love DKC games! People who are dissapointed by this I don't understand.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#17 Crispy Bacon

Crispy Bacon

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Resident Evil

Posted 19 June 2013 - 11:33 AM

Apparently, there's a 4th playable character. I'm hoping its Cranky Kong. Throw him in a high-powered wheelchair. I can picture him rolling furiously along some mine cart tracks and whacking enemies in the head with his cane. Do it, Retro!
Posted Image

#18 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 12:30 PM

You know what? Until 2010, Donkey Kong hadn't seen any real love since 1999, he deserves another addition to the best platform games ever made. Mario is allowed sequel upon sequel upon sequel, so why is DK any different? Oh that's right because he's not Metroid.

So why not replace a 2d mario platformer with a dk platformer?

We dont really care about franchisr names, its about genres. Metroid is practically the only game in its genre that was consistantly made as a high production value release (once or twice a gen). A platformer is a platformer,
Its an oversaturated genre, that has dozens of high quality titles to choose from, Dont want dk wii or wii u? Okay, try new super mario bros wii. Oh want to play on the go? nsmb2. oh? want to play on the game pad try nsmbu, while the starving genre retro used to represent has a big fat zilch..... Again.

Want to play a big exploration adventure? Better replay games from 2006 or earlier or jump off a bridge.

You are talking about a single game in a sea of similar games for platformers like dk. Take one away to make a different game and you still have dozens. For us, that one or two games is often all we have for an entire generation.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!