#21 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:57 AM

The multiplayer still shares the same assets, models, textures, physics engine, and other arbitrary game code with the campaign.  There is still a lot to download to start the multiplayer portion.

FiOS doesn't have an 85MB/s level, they have a 75MB/s level, which costs $90/month on its own.  You also assume you have great throughput to Sony, which is funny, shows how little some people understand what theoretical maximum throughput means.  The PS4 will still be limited to a certain number of concurrent connections, not enough to even scratch the surface of the pipe you have.  You will get things at around the same pace as someone with much lower bandwidth, as the connection limit will undoubtedly be optimized for the most popular broadband connection level, 15Mbps.

With a larger pipe you can do more at any given time, but it doesn't ensure that you will have a connection to a given server that is any faster (wider) than anyone else.  If they are able to increase the number of allowed concurrent connections dynamically it would be faster, but that usually makes the experience worse for those with slower connections, because you are chewing up a big portion of Sony's bandwidth.

I'm a software engineer, I know what speed my internet is and I fully understand throughput:

2786609983.png

I just downloaded Uncharted 3 which is exactly 40GB and it took an hour and 15 minutes - you do the math.

Posted Image

#22 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 20 June 2013 - 12:15 PM

I'm a software engineer, I know what speed my internet is and I fully understand throughput:

2786609983.png

I just downloaded Uncharted 3 which is exactly 40GB and it took an hour and 15 minutes - you do the math.

I'm a Systems/Network Engineer, I know a lot of software engineers (in fact my best friend is one), and they understand networking about as much as I understand turbine engines.  Just the same, I don't understand much of what you do either, beyond cursory code analysis for software hardening and assurance testing.

That said, impressive, but you are in a very small minority, and even 500MB/min won't have you playing a game in 30 seconds.

#23 Hitomi

Hitomi

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 451 posts
  • Fandom:
    <3 Nintendo =)

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:01 PM

Pretty sure if it asks for your real name you could just put in your user. Not like sony wouldn't let me have my real name as "AdmiralClassy" my parents might just have been odd.

Yea, ur right

#24 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:57 PM

Looks really good IMO! I love the Noises it makes when you click stuff as well!

That's an old video and was posted on the Internet a while back.

Edited by Gamejunkie, 20 June 2013 - 02:02 PM.

#25 dante👌

dante👌

Special Product

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:03 PM

I honestly don't lnow why people are saying is looks like the 360 dashboard. When no it doesn't.

#26 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:06 PM

I honestly don't lnow why people are saying is looks like the 360 dashboard. When no it doesn't.

I think they mean the Xbox One dashboard, at least that's what it looks like to me. That's not a bad thing. The 360 dashboard is way too busy and non- intuitive to navigate. Its just awful. The PS3's XMB was good in the beginning but now it just looks tired and archaic. The PS3 store is even worse. None of the current consoles have a decent UI for the dashboard or store. Hopefully the PS4 and Xbox One will be much better.

#27 ChrizAkaTheMole

ChrizAkaTheMole

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Sonic, Star wars, WWE , DBZ

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:20 PM

Honestly I like the look.

I don't like the real life pics (ironic based on my avatar here i know) + real life names. As honestly why I love Miiverse and such is I prefer gaming to remain annomonus as it adds more to it. Example if you see on Street Fighter the best fighter in the world is named "DeathByFists" it seems more legendary than "john smith" a bland ordinary name. I get imersed more as a player when everyone is more legendary figures in your mind. Not humanized. I may be in a minority here but i am glad it's optional on your own account at least.

#28 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Lol I love how cheesy that video was. Not really a fan of what seems to be a bunch of boxes everywhere, like Windows 8, but I'd have to see more than 2 seconds. As for the guessing words while typing thing... Haven't phones been doing that for years? At least I remember my last "dumb phone" predicting my words based on my most commonly typed. Obviously it won't look as perfect IRL but I'm sure it's possible. >>

Posted Image

#29 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Looks like Wii u and x360 interfaces had a baby.

Sounds like it too.

It's ok.

I think ms really nailed it with the latest 360 UI.

Even the x1 UI looks worse.

#30 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:04 PM

This is a very cool and sleek interface, I like it, can't wait to try it out :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ps4, playstation, interface, preview

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!