BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

I know some here would say once the Wii U's install base grow, more devs will jump on board but i'm having doubts about that, the Wii U is cheap to develop for, is powerful enough to keep up with the PS4/XB1 and isn't limited by miniature disk like the Gamecube was the Wii U pretty much has everything it needs to become the first Nintendo console since the NES to have good third-party support yet devs are still refusing to bring their games to the console and would rather have their games on the Xbone and PS4 both of which doesn't even have an install base yet, At this point i'm starting to believe most third-party developers both west and eastern hate Nintendo which explains their lack of support over the years :(

Edited by VGCrasher, 20 June 2013 - 10:07 AM.

#2 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:12 AM

GENIUS!!! I don't think all devs hate Nintendo, just EA and Acitovision. Most other devs just think of Nintendo as "Uncool" or "immature" so they for want their games on Ninty systems. Which makes them uncool and immature.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#3 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:28 AM

I seriously just think it's the Wiiu sales. I remember when the wiiu was shown and a bunch of 3rd party developers were excited to work with it and now that it hasn't really sold much everyone is turning their back. It's just business I suppose but it does kinda suck.

#4 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:43 AM

It was pretty obvious. Why do you think Activision/Treyarch didn't bring DLC to BO2 Wii U and then gave the bull$%#! excuse saying that there weren't enough players on Wii U to develop it for?

Or when the Batman: Arkham Origins Deathstroke pre-order DLC was announced and Warner Bros. "decided" not to bring it to Wii U?

3rd parties are biased toward Nintendo. I didn't buy a $350 No support-U. I bought a Wii U. 

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#5 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:51 AM

I disagree, they're not biased. EA, Activision ect. They all are hesitant due to lack of sales in the system. Nintendo hasn't convinced anyone to buy a Wii U in the past 8 months. It's the 1st parties job to garner up people. Once there is a larger user base(like EA said) then they will bring games. Plus, some types of games just don't sell well on Nintendo systems due to Nintendo's casual group that includes family and children. Not many hardcore gamers user Wii U as their main console, so are they going to buy Watch Dogs on PS4? Or Wii U? Obviously PS4.

2lvmghw.png

#6 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:57 AM

I think it's all about history.

Devs didn't make much money on the Wii version of the games. So they are scared the same will happen with the Wii u and they will be at a lost.

But if we buy up the Wii u ver over ps3/ps4 or Xbox/ x one. Then they will start to put out more.

It's all about money.

Cod bo2 made more money on Xbox and ps3 then the Wii u ver. And dev see that. So they aren't going to try hard to make a Wii u ver for the next game. And that's how the Wii u gets cut out.

So yea we gotta support the devs and up there Wii u game sells over other systems and they will put out more games.

I know I'm debating if I should get watch dog on ps3 or Wii u. Simply because idk if the game is equal. If it is then Wii u for me. And they will see that and more Wii u ones and better Wii u ver.

That's just how I see it.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#7 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:04 AM

Why would 3rd parties develop for a console that simply isn't selling? Put yourself in the developer's shoes for just one minute and stop with the insane conspiracies. 

This fear of a console not selling at launch is exactly why Microsoft did a complete reversal of their Xbox One's policies for used games, DRM, and always online. Developers and consumers were already running to Sony because of all the doom and gloom surrounding the Xbox One. 

In this day and age you cannot have afford to have a poor launch. Nintendo messed up, seriously people this is coming from the words of the CEO himself.

http://www.nbcnews.c...ales-6C10378098

Poor marketing, poor name choice, lack of games at launch, and I think the Basic was a terrible idea and should have never been made to begin with. 

With all of this said, I still bought a Wii U just to play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Once games like Sonic, X, DK, Mario 3D World, Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, Pikman 3, Bayonetta 2 come out we should see more Wii U sales assuming these games are actually really good.

We still have games like Watchdogs, Assassins Creed: Black Flag, and Splinter Cell Blacklist coming to the Wii U which is a clear sign that at least the Wii U can run some great-looking games. 

tl;dr This is a Nintendo problem, and it is Nintendo's fault alone. They have nobody but themselves to blame for the lack of 3rd party support and poor sales. And last time I checked Activision's Black Ops 2 is on the Wii U and EA would like to return to the Wii U. 

http://www.techradar...atform--1159381

#8 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 11:20 AM

If I recall the wii had more 3rd party support and that's simple it out sold everyone else. Sales equal support, it's like this when Tiger Woods won every tournament everyone loved him then he F$%* up and now everyone hates him. The only solution for him....win and the only solution for Wiiu is sale more.

#9 My Body is Ready

My Body is Ready

Red Koopa Troopa

• Banned
  • 65 posts
  • Fandom:
    Ready Bodies

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:07 PM

Third Party's bodies aren't ready.

1017467_139128322956272_1698619176_n.jpg

#10 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

Guys, calm down. It's simply business and generalization of audiences.

The equation is

n / g - p = x

n = number of consoles

g = predicted percentage or number of gamers on platform likely to buy your game

p = production cost of making the game for the Wii U

IF the numbers equal a fair decent piece of profit you'll get your third party game.

The formula is slightly more complex than that but I've simplified it. Most publishers will let their accountants decide if a game gets ported or stays an exclusive, UNLESS the big N pays for the production of the game.

Edited by Penguin101, 20 June 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#11 BrandedSwordsman

BrandedSwordsman

Boo

• Members
  • 508 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:51 PM

The equation is

n / g - p = x

n = number of consoles

g = predicted percentage or number of gamers on platform likely to buy your game

IF the numbers equal a fair decent piece of profit you'll get your third party game.

The formula is slightly more complex than that but I've simplified it. Most publishers will let their accountants decide if a game gets ported or stays an exclusive, UNLESS the big N pays for the production of the game.

but they're going to fully support the PS4 which has a zero install-base.

#12 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

It's probably a combination of bias and poor sales.

#13 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:53 PM

Then they replace n and g with predicted numbers based on the previous consoles.

For example only 15% of Xbox owners actually play COD, 9% of Wii U owners played COD. That's probably why we've not heard if COD: Ghosts is coming to Wii U or not, as they're still crunching numbers furiously deciding if Wii U is worth the risk.

My prediction is due to the poor reaction to XBO, they may decide that XBO wont sell as mucha s Wii U and can make up the numbers with a Wii U edition. But some accountants can be idiots

Edited by Penguin101, 20 June 2013 - 01:59 PM.

#14 ChrizAkaTheMole

ChrizAkaTheMole

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Sonic, Star wars, WWE , DBZ

Posted 20 June 2013 - 01:59 PM

I think there is multiple reasons for this. Some can not be fixed.

1)  First party is too good -

As people have said in the past. Zelda or Mario launches as the third party releases? Guess which one people buy. There for its not profitible. This can only really be fixed when the base has grown if Nintendo release less games. Example 2 mario games in 2 years is too much. It is needed at this time though it could be more varied. Example instead of 2 marios how about 1 mario 1 kirby?

2) DLC -

I'm still unsure on why it is but as I said here : http://thewiiu.com/t...r-dlcstore-imo/ something is keeping DLC off store and I don't think it's developers choosing as why choose to make less money?

3) The screen gives mixed messages -

The systems best feature can be it's worse. I point you to gearbox as an example. “We get asked if there is going to be a Wii U version of Borderlands, and the reason why there's not is because we couldn't think of a natural, obvious, 'OMG, I want that for what the Wii U brings to the table' feature,” was how they worded it going on to explain they couldn't think how to use the screen.

Nintendo needs to makes it obvious to gamers + develeopers the screens not needed. How about bundling a pro-controller with every system?  So people know if they buy say Tomb raider or Mortal Kombat or Cod or Resident Evil or Madden, develeopers can make the same exact game on all.  Now COD uses pro pad but it was not obvious that you could. This would make it easier to port to wiiu

4) Money -

Sony + Microsoft both pay money for more advertizement + exlusive dlc ect.. for their console. Imagine if nintendo at E3 announced they had a new deal with Rockstar. GTA V would get more content on Wii U. Try telling me that would not a) move systems and B) not sell like crazy!

5) Image -

Nintendo always pushes the "family" console. That is not bad as such. But they need to be a console "for everyone" to get more third party games. An advert compaign could easily do this.example :

Family playing super mario 3D land.

Kids go to bed in advert

Adults playing Zombiu , COD , Batman Arkham city , Darksiders II ect....

Fade to black

"Nintendo Wiiu - A console for everyone"

or something. As even now on other sites xbox 360 + ps3 fans laugh at the wiiu as been the "kiddy" console. It needs to break this by pushing it's adult content as much as it's family content.

now there is more but I think these 5 combined are hurting the console + the third party support.

#15 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 02:22 PM

It's easier to support a console that hasn't been released than support one that has flopped so-to-speak.

#16 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 03:00 PM

I know everyone can have an opinion, but mine is fact! (lol jk).

Seriously, though, you are right that once the install base grows developers won't magically come back. Their budgets are set. Ubisoft might make an exclusive again, but don't expect EA, Activision, or others to change their mind.

Nintendo made a mistake trusting third parties to sell their system. They should of had DK, Mario or Pikman 3 AT LAUNCH. Just one of those games would have boosted sales. Then in Jan 2013 they should of had ANOTHER big name to continue sales. Then start to cool down before E3.

However, sales isn't the only reason for people to stop working for Wii U. EA PULLED A FINISHED game. They lost more money not selling it. That was a bad call and it was done because of another, unknown reason.

Nintendo needs to work with third parties, like they did with Boyannetta 2, Lego City, Sonic. They need to help make a Rayman. A Skylanders game. Maybe make a Mario Sports game with EA. This will help third parties make money and help Nintendo.

Why would 3rd parties develop for a console that simply isn't selling? Put yourself in the developer's shoes for just one minute and stop with the insane conspiracies.
This fear of a console not selling at launch is exactly why Microsoft did a complete reversal of their Xbox One's policies for used games, DRM, and always online. Developers and consumers were already running to Sony because of all the doom and gloom surrounding the Xbox One.

In this day and age you cannot have afford to have a poor launch. Nintendo messed up, seriously people this is coming from the words of the CEO himself.

http://www.nbcnews.c...ales-6C10378098

Poor marketing, poor name choice, lack of games at launch, and I think the Basic was a terrible idea and should have never been made to begin with.

With all of this said, I still bought a Wii U just to play Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate. Once games like Sonic, X, DK, Mario 3D World, Smash Bros., Mario Kart 8, Pikman 3, Bayonetta 2 come out we should see more Wii U sales assuming these games are actually really good.

We still have games like Watchdogs, Assassins Creed: Black Flag, and Splinter Cell Blacklist coming to the Wii U which is a clear sign that at least the Wii U can run some great-looking games.

tl;dr This is a Nintendo problem, and it is Nintendo's fault alone. They have nobody but themselves to blame for the lack of 3rd party support and poor sales. And last time I checked Activision's Black Ops 2 is on the Wii U and EA would like to return to the Wii U.

http://www.techradar...atform--1159381

I don't care what EA says. They cancelled Crisis 3 even though it was almost done. It was a month or two from being released. THEY SPENT MONEY all ready developing it. Then they cancelled it.

That isn't a choice made by someone who cares about "Sales of a system".
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#17 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 08:26 PM

The equation is

n / g - p = x

n = number of consoles

Fantastic work. I cannot see a publisher hoping to eliminate a platform that generates free cash flows. Further, why let Sony and Microsoft control it? Obvious competition factors come into play here, but, as you said, the ROI must be there.

#18 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

I doubt these companies would make their money back from porting games/DLC to the Wii U. That's why they don't do it, there's no bias, just business. 

#19 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 09:40 PM

Is powerful enough to keep up with the PS4/XB1

Errrrrrr unfortunatly in a few years when Devs start using up all 8GB of RAM on the PS4 Wii U probably will fall behind, heck even the Xbox One might start falling behind with it's slower RAM and it's Operating System using up 3GB of it, unfortunatly if you have be brutaly honest I really don't think Wii U was very well futureproofed :(

#20 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 June 2013 - 10:06 PM

I don't care what EA says. They cancelled Crisis 3 even though it was almost done. It was a month or two from being released. THEY SPENT MONEY all ready developing it. Then they cancelled it.

That isn't a choice made by someone who cares about "Sales of a system".

Crytek explains word for word why they dropped support for the Wii U...

http://www.gamespot....-to-die-6404763

Edited by EvilMoogle, 20 June 2013 - 10:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!