• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Distractionwolf

Distractionwolf

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:52 PM

Just as the subject line says. The thought just occured to me, why not make the wii u gamepad a 3d screen with the same tech as the 3DS? Did the idea, to anyone's knowledge, come up and got shot down for some specific reason? Would you have liked this? And do you think a 3d version might be a future add on?

#2 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:55 PM

Pretty sure the screen is too large to hold to gamepad at a comfortable distance and still get the desired effect.

#3 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

It kinda makes the 3ds not as appealing and it would make you sick to play it all the time on such a big screen plus you have to tilt the screen a lot.

#4 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 23 June 2013 - 05:59 PM

Each Nintendo console needs to have its own unique innovation...at least until competitors do the same. The 3DS has 3D, and the Wii U has Asymmetric gameplay. They're polar opposites that don't need to be merged. 3D should remain a 3ds highlight, while the wii u's case is its own.
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#5 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:03 PM

The same reason why they didn't make the gamepad HD: it will be too expensive to mass produce.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:07 PM

POPULAR

The reason's probably the same as to why the bottom screen of the 3DS isn't 3D, touch sensitive screens and 3D don't mix very well when your finger or stylus is constantly obscuring the effect.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Distractionwolf

Distractionwolf

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:10 PM

all valid points, the last of which was so obvious I should have thought about it first and not even created the thread, lol.

#8 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

No, it's a gimmick and wouldn't be used for anything...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#9 My Body is Ready

My Body is Ready

Red Koopa Troopa

• Banned
  • 65 posts
  • Fandom:
    Ready Bodies

Posted 23 June 2013 - 06:58 PM

Why not have a $400 console

1017467_139128322956272_1698619176_n.jpg

#10 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:46 PM

Very doubtful.

Especially since Nintendo really isn't paying attention to the 3D feature in the 3DS itself. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#11 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 07:48 PM

The 3D in the 3DS is such a gimmick, and honestly the GamePad is turning out to be a gimmick as well. So I'd definitely say that would be a horrid idea.  

#12 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:15 PM

The 3D in the 3DS is such a gimmick, and honestly the GamePad is turning out to be a gimmick as well. So I'd definitely say that would be a horrid idea.  

the gamepad is not a gimmick, its sound technology and has been utilised as such. And as a game dev myself there is no way i can call it a gimmick.

#13 itsdavebaby

itsdavebaby

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:
    Futurama

Posted 23 June 2013 - 08:28 PM

I read this and then read what everyone else had to say and realized, yea that would be a horrible idea. 

#14 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 June 2013 - 10:01 PM

the gamepad is not a gimmick, its sound technology and has been utilised as such. And as a game dev myself there is no way i can call it a gimmick.

That is exactly why Nintendo showed absolutely nothing regarding the GamePad at E3 right? It's just that good. Maybe in the future we'll see what Nintendo does with but let's face it not even Nintendo knows what to do with it anymore.

#15 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 24 June 2013 - 05:52 AM

Ey', look! It's people throwing around the word "gimmick" like it means something negative! Just let me consult my friend Webster's book of magical words and amazing definitions...

gim·mick  
/ˈgimik/

Noun
A trick or device intended to attract attention, publicity, or business.

So yeah, of course 3D/GamePad is a gimmick. Just like super-amazing graphics are gimmicks, they're all merely things to get you interested in buying the product, also known as the very first step in Marketing 101.

So uh, yeah. "It's just a gimmick so itz horrible" is probably one of the worst reasons I can think of to say an idea/system is awful. Do I agree that a game fully utilizing their respective gimmicks hasn't been fully realized? Sure. But really, why does it matter? If the games are there, and they're fun, I know I don't give a crap.

EDIT: Getting on topic because this topic is getting very close to being derailed...

No, they shouldn't have a 3D gamepad. If you want a reason why, basically, flip open your 3DS (assuming you have one) turn the 3D on full-blast and then put your finger/stylus over the top screen while trying to play a game. That should give you all the answers you need.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#16 Distractionwolf

Distractionwolf

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:12 AM

The gamepad is why I bought the console. Its possible I'm a minority here, but I doubt it. Most wii u owners seem to like it. Those that don't might get a PS4 and move on. That's fine.

• Doc likes this

#17 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 24 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

Anything can be a gimmick if promoted as one, for example back in the N64 days, the Analog stick was a gimmick.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#18 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 12:48 PM

Anything can be a gimmick if promoted as one, for example back in the N64 days, the Analog stick was a gimmick.

accually no, a gimmick has little to no use. Except to make something  stand out or look better. "Blast Processing" is a gimmick because it had little to no actual effect on games. But the gamepad has many possibilities that can be explored. Nintendo is atm putting out games that  dont work well with the idea of the pad or are competitive so giving the gamepad an advantage is a no no

#19 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 03:47 PM

Ey', look! It's people throwing around the word "gimmick" like it means something negative! Just let me consult my friend Webster's book of magical words and amazing definitions...

So yeah, of course 3D/GamePad is a gimmick. Just like super-amazing graphics are gimmicks, they're all merely things to get you interested in buying the product, also known as the very first step in Marketing 101.

So uh, yeah. "It's just a gimmick so itz horrible" is probably one of the worst reasons I can think of to say an idea/system is awful. Do I agree that a game fully utilizing their respective gimmicks hasn't been fully realized? Sure. But really, why does it matter? If the games are there, and they're fun, I know I don't give a crap.

EDIT: Getting on topic because this topic is getting very close to being derailed...

No, they shouldn't have a 3D gamepad. If you want a reason why, basically, flip open your 3DS (assuming you have one) turn the 3D on full-blast and then put your finger/stylus over the top screen while trying to play a game. That should give you all the answers you need.

An example of gimmick in sentences. 

http://www.merriam-w...tionary/gimmick

The proposal to cut taxes was just an election gimmick to win votes.

That free magazine subscription they offer is just a sales gimmick to get you to buy their product.

And multiple definitions that clearly define it as something negative.

a trick or device used to attract business or attention <a marketing gimmick>

an important feature that is not immediately apparent

http://dictionary.re.../browse/gimmick

a concealed, usually devious aspect or feature of something, as a plan or deal: An offer that good musthave a gimmick in it somewhere.

http://www.wordrefer...inition/gimmick

any clever device, gadget, or stratagem, esp one used to deceive

I appreciate the effort to lecture me on English. 

The Wii U's GamePad was used to attract gamers at launch but it became quickly apparent to Nintendo that the GamePad's features aren't immediately noticed and therefore Nintendo has stopped talking about the GamePad all-together and instead focuses on gameplay therefore it's a gimmick in this case that failed to attract buyers. 

I bought a Wii U but I didn't buy one because of the GamePad at all. I have Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, New Super Mario Bros. U, Resident Evil: Revelations and none of these games actually use the GamePad all that much except for a few gimmicky features that are hardly worth writing home about. 

The only game that will maybe make the GamePad seem remotely more than just a gimmick is Watchdogs because Ubisoft has said it is more than just a second screen, but until then the GamePad is a gimmick sorry. 

#20 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 24 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

An example of gimmick in sentences. 

http://www.merriam-w...tionary/gimmick

And multiple definitions that clearly define it as something negative.

http://dictionary.re.../browse/gimmick

http://www.wordrefer...inition/gimmick

I appreciate the effort to lecture me on English. 

The Wii U's GamePad was used to attract gamers at launch but it became quickly apparent to Nintendo that the GamePad's features aren't immediately noticed and therefore Nintendo has stopped talking about the GamePad all-together and instead focuses on gameplay therefore it's a gimmick in this case that failed to attract buyers. 

I bought a Wii U but I didn't buy one because of the GamePad at all. I have Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, New Super Mario Bros. U, Resident Evil: Revelations and none of these games actually use the GamePad all that much except for a few gimmicky features that are hardly worth writing home about. 

The only game that will maybe make the GamePad seem remotely more than just a gimmick is Watchdogs because Ubisoft has said it is more than just a second screen, but until then the GamePad is a gimmick sorry. 

that is not how it works man.

but i guess  off screen play is a gimmick?

what about Zombi U? that makes  a large use of the gamepad .

what about the asymatry is has given?

what about the  nintendo land games? they show many great uses.

what about the precision input that you get from a resistive screen? because of it you can put MMO's and RTS games on the system!

im sorry man you are totally off base. It is not a gimmick and you just want it to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!