Photo

What if in a few years Nintendo made a Wii U RAM Expansion Pak?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 BlueBlur

BlueBlur

Code Breaker!

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • NNID:Pokemaster94
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon, Mario, and Sonic the Hedgehog

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

While the Wii U in reality is powerful enough to hold it's own against the Xbone and PS4, Everyone outside these forums from non-MS/Sony fanboy to developers have the common believe that the Wii U is only slightly more powerful than the PS360, Would it be best for Nintendo to release a ram expansion for the Wii U like they done for the N64 or better yet a more powerful model of the Wii U that's as powerful as the PS4?

Edited by VGCrasher, 25 June 2013 - 01:19 PM.

#2 Jeremygts

Jeremygts

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

While the Wii U in reality is powerful enough to hold it's own against the Xbone and PS4, Everyone outside these forums from non-MS/Sony fanboy to developers have the common believe that the Wii U is only meagerly more powerful than the PS360, Would it be best for Nintendo to release a ram expansion for the Wii U like they done for the N64 or better yet a more powerful model of the Wii U that's as powerful as the PS4?

As much as Id like for this to happen it just wouldnt work. They would have to have this idea in mind before making the console so they could design a way any average Joe could pop in a new/additional memoy module without damaging the console. USB RAM would not work either. As of right now you would have to pop open the console, voiding any warranty you may have.

#3 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:23 PM

It would make the original Wii U obsolete and honestly dont think many developers or publishers would even bother with it. Would be like the CD attachments for the SNES or N64. Useless.

Edited by Colinx, 25 June 2013 - 01:23 PM.

2lvmghw.png

#4 Jeremygts

Jeremygts

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:30 PM

It would make the original Wii U obsolete and honestly dont think many developers or publishers would even bother with it. Would be like the CD attachments for the SNES or N64. Useless.

The CD attachment for the N64 would of helped wonders if it came out along side the console... I dont even think it hit North America. If the CD attachment was out for N64 Square would of kept FF7 on Nintendo IMO.

#5 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:37 PM

Contrary to popular belief, the Wii U does not necessarily need more RAM. It has 2GB, and many games won't use 8GB unless they are designed to be bloated. An extra 2GB attachment could help, but the problem right now we are having is devs being too lazy to optimize for the new architecture, not the 1-2GB RAM the system uses.

So my answer? Seems impractical.

Edited by Amnesia, 25 June 2013 - 01:37 PM.

• Doc likes this

#6 bornsupercharged

bornsupercharged

Blooper

• Members
  • 197 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Forza, Gears of War

Posted 25 June 2013 - 01:47 PM

2GB DDR3 is plenty for Wii U games - Nintendo would have put more if it required more. Consider this, the PS3 only has 512MB. The Wii U has 4 times the amount as the PS3. How much better graphics than the PS3 do we really even need? Fun games > amazing graphics that are crap to play. 

Posted Image

#7 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

It'd be cool but how can you use an expansion pack in a closed system? The N64 had a designed placed for an expansion pack. Nice idea though!

#8 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:18 PM

The WiiU has 1GB for games & the other 1GB is for the OS, so it has twice the amount as the PS3, which is not a lot, the laptop i am using which was £400 has 8GB or GDDR3 & is twelve months old.

The WiiU should of had 5GB, that's 1GB for the OS & 4GB for games, both the PS4 & X1 are said to use a lot of RAM for the OS & other things like Kinect & the game/video streaming, so even if they use half of their 8GB they have 4GB left for games where the WiiU only has 1GB.

Developers & programmers have always wanted more RAM, they always have & always will.

The only way a RAM pack could work is if Nintendo gave everyone the sticks of RAM & had them install it as it's very easy & simple to do, this is for everyone that already has a WiiU & then on a set day release a update that recognises the updated RAM & new WiiU units already have the more RAM installed.

#9 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:32 PM

The WiiU has 1GB for games & the other 1GB is for the OS, so it has twice the amount as the PS3, which is not a lot, the laptop i am using which was £400 has 8GB or GDDR3 & is twelve months old.

The WiiU should of had 5GB, that's 1GB for the OS & 4GB for games, both the PS4 & X1 are said to use a lot of RAM for the OS & other things like Kinect & the game/video streaming, so even if they use half of their 8GB they have 4GB left for games where the WiiU only has 1GB.

Developers & programmers have always wanted more RAM, they always have & always will.

The only way a RAM pack could work is if Nintendo gave everyone the sticks of RAM & had them install it as it's very easy & simple to do, this is for everyone that already has a WiiU & then on a set day release a update that recognises the updated RAM & new WiiU units already have the more RAM installed.

Um no.

Wii U has 4x as much RAM than PS3 and 360 whatever way you look at it.

1GB as of now is fully usable for games, keep in mind Nintendo can optimize it's Operating System in future updates and make more RAM available. Something you need to realise is that PS360 didn't even have the full 512MB for games.

We are talking only 300-400MB for PS360 games as the rest are used for their Operating Systems.

One important factor for creating "next gen" visuals in Wii U is the CPU's cache memory, GPGPU functions and the large amount of on die 32mb eDram. 360 only had 10mb.

As it stands Wii U has 4x as much RAM, over 3x as much eDram, much more modern GPU, lots of cache memory in the CPU plus hidden custom features all bundled on one MCM.

When developers get to grips with the console we will see visuals that make PS360 games look dated and "last gen".

Edited by Forza Juventus, 25 June 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#10 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:41 PM

While the Wii U in reality is powerful enough to hold it's own against the Xbone and PS4, Everyone outside these forums from non-MS/Sony fanboy to developers have the common believe that the Wii U is only slightly more powerful than the PS360, Would it be best for Nintendo to release a ram expansion for the Wii U like they done for the N64 or better yet a more powerful model of the Wii U that's as powerful as the PS4?

Not going to happen. But the reason Nintendo hasn't done that since is because the RAM didn't improve graphics then, and it won't do now. It allows for more stuff to happen ... But 1GB of RAM is plenty of ram.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#11 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 02:44 PM

Um no.

1GB as of now is fully usable for games, keep in mind Nintendo can optimize it's Operating System in future updates and make more RAM available. Something you need to realise is that PS360 didn't even have the full 512MB for games.

We are talking only 300-400MB for PS360 games as the rest are used for their Operating Systems.

One important factor for creating "next gen" visuals in Wii U is the CPU's cache memory, GPGPU functions and the large amount of on die 32mb eDram. 360 only had 10mb.

As it stands Wii U has 4x as much RAM, over 3x as much eDram, much more modern GPU, lots of cache memory in the CPU plus hidden custom features all bundled on one MCM.

When developers get to grips with the console we will see visuals that make PS360 games look dated and "last gen".

The X360 & PS3 are irrelevant, it's the X1 & PS4 that the WiiU needs to compete with & they have at least 4GB of RAM for games !

My gaming PC is not the highest spec but has 4GB RAM & a 1GB GPU & my cheapo Laptop as i say has onboard graphics but has 8GB RAM, the fact is that Nintendo skimped on one of the cheapest component which is RAM, the amount of units Nintendo could of placed orders for would of been small, small enough for them to absorb the costs, i doubt it would've cost more than $10 per console to have 5GB RAM (1GB dedicated for OS), thats just a extra 3GB RAM on what the WiiU has now & it would've made all the difference.

Hidden custom features are pointless if nobody knows what they are let alone how to use them, also the developers won't bother because they have plenty of excuses already not to support the WiiU.

We can keep going around in circles debating amongst ourselves & arguing with each other, at the end of the day nothing is going to change, the developers & publishers are not go to bother supporting the WiiU & once the PS4 & X1 come along in the shops the WiiU will just get left behind, all it has had third party wise so far if ports of old X360 & PS4 games, what games is the WiiU getting that the PS4 & X1 are getting apart from WatchDogs ?

Edited by alan666, 25 June 2013 - 02:49 PM.

#12 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:10 PM

Um no.

Best post ever. Amen!

The X360 & PS3 are irrelevant, it's the X1 & PS4 that the WiiU needs to compete with & they have at least 4GB of RAM for games !

My gaming PC is not the highest spec but has 4GB RAM & a 1GB GPU & my cheapo Laptop as i say has onboard graphics but has 8GB RAM, the fact is that Nintendo skimped on one of the cheapest component which is RAM, the amount of units Nintendo could of placed orders for would of been small, small enough for them to absorb the costs, i doubt it would've cost more than $10 per console to have 5GB RAM (1GB dedicated for OS), thats just a extra 3GB RAM on what the WiiU has now & it would've made all the difference.

Hidden custom features are pointless if nobody knows what they are let alone how to use them, also the developers won't bother because they have plenty of excuses already not to support the WiiU.

We can keep going around in circles debating amongst ourselves & arguing with each other, at the end of the day nothing is going to change, the developers & publishers are not go to bother supporting the WiiU & once the PS4 & X1 come along in the shops the WiiU will just get left behind, all it has had third party wise so far if ports of old X360 & PS4 games, what games is the WiiU getting that the PS4 & X1 are getting apart from WatchDogs ?

Look, most PC games don't even use 3GB of RAM. RAM does not make better graphics. It does, however, allow for more freedom in the game. Developers always want more but than again so do I and I have 16GB of RAM. Wii U having a FULL GIG of RAM for games -- along with all the other memory it has that has been described before -- is MORE THAN ENOUGH to produce visuals beyond old Gen, and will be able to keep up with X1 and PS4. And again, RAM does not make better graphics. Google it. Learn what RAM does.

In the end, you won't be able to tell the difference between multiplats and between exclusives... I just don't know yet. I can't imagine graphics better than X right now.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#13 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:11 PM

Yes, we totally need a new 32X to keep up with the "big boys" *sarcasm*. Anyway, I can't see the big N doing something so controversial and saying "The Wii U is weaker than a starving cat, so we're shoving this thing up its backside!". 

#14 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 25 June 2013 - 05:21 PM

This reminds me of when I purchased a simm expander for the ram on my Macintosh Performa 600 . RAM isn't the problem, and won't be the problem. Quality and innovative software is the key to this console's life.

I've said this before and I will say it again, the Xbox 1 and PS4 most likely would not have gone with 8 gigs of RAM if the machines themselves were not doing so many different tasks, running multiple OS's, streaming, multi-tasking etc. If all of those services and such were not there, they probably would of ended up with 4 gigs.

Edited by Sorceror12, 25 June 2013 - 05:24 PM.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#15 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:00 PM

Nintendo has always been able to get the best out of such little, they'll pull through with what they have.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#16 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 07:24 PM

Nintendo should have stuck more RAM in the thing, too late now unfortunatly.

#17 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 08:12 PM

This is all fun to discuss, and I am certainly no expert, but I will parrot what will be said when the forum mods come in:

• You cannot compare consoles to Windows PC's. 
  • Laws of diminishing returns are in effect, even if you you could. The same 7990 with 6gb of vram is not meant for 1080p, but multi-monitor. Heck, crossfire is not really meant for 1080p. Take an old 5870 with 1gb of vram, and you will still get great results at a true 720p. Making the jump to 1080p takes, for some games, more than a 5870, with more memory.
  • If you increase the target resolution, you dramatically increase the required resources.
  • Speaking of which, the vast majority of PS360 games are not 720p, but lower rez and upscaled. 
  • The Wii U currently has 1 Gig for games, the HD Twins have 512mb for EVERYTHING. PS3 even has split pools. That is 4x the ram for a target rez of 720p (true 720p). 

Now, let's look at the ram and specs for the PS4 exclusively for games (from what I have read on the netz, don't crucify me if this is off with ram and core usage).

7 gigs available, 6 cores @ 1.6ghz based off of a bulldozer (Trinity based?) mobile variant, and a custom AMD GCN chip, supposedly on par with a 7850. 

So, 1 gig and 2 cores are available for the OS. 

Now, knowing that we need vram, and a good bit of it for 1080p + (don't get your hopes up for resolutions higher than that, think of 4k as this gens 1080p), you can factor in as much as required for devs to get wherever they are going outside of a Windows environment. 

You guys really only need to look at Watchdogs, and its' graphical downgrades to sort of see what to expect. Then factor in the state of Wii U dev tools at launch. Think NFSMW U, X, Mario Kart, and the other upcoming games to see that the gap will be close enough, as long as the Wii U starts selling and software goes with it. 

I still say get both;). Stay away from the VCR though. Even if it tells you it has changed its quality to reflect Betamax standards, it has still revealed the true integrity of the medium:P

I welcome corrections. 

#18 Ace

Ace

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:00 PM

2 gigs of RAM is more than enough. No game is going to use 8 gigs of RAM.

#19 GreenPenInk

GreenPenInk

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:12 PM

In America first you get the RAM. Then you get the power.  Then you get the women.

zeldasig.jpg

#20 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 25 June 2013 - 10:31 PM

Pure capitalism for you, getting flopped:).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!