31 replies to this topic

#1 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:13 PM

http://mynintendonew...this-christmas/

I saw this article and they will be assessing how much support they will be giving the Wii U this fall. They say that they will figure out future plans in January.

My question is, how many Wii U's will have to be sold? Additionally, how many Ubisoft games will need to be sold on the Wii U to convince Ubi to stay?

10 million Wii Us? 1 million game sales?

#2 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:17 PM

Don't know bit I'm pretty sure it will be OK. There are a lot of games coming out for wiiu from now till then so the console sales should rise quite a bit.

Edited by Cozmo, 27 June 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#3 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:25 PM

Your guess is as good as any. Probably more like the number of consoles sold, the number of various software genres being sold in relation to the other types.

If Watchdogs and AC IV do poorly, but Rayman and Just Dance are high performers, they will reevaluate their strategy.

Alternatively, they have internal return rates set for each project, which translates to a set number of systems and overall attach rate. It must not be that drastic for the multi platform ports, seeings as how they are still supporting the platform this year.

But, the answers you seek coincide with forecasting GDP growth in 16 months along with the Fed's policy changes at the corresponding FOMC meeting.

#4 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

Your guess is as good as any. Probably more like the number of consoles sold, the number of various software genres being sold in relation to the other types.

If Watchdogs and AC IV do poorly, but Rayman and Just Dance are high performers, they will reevaluate their strategy.

Alternatively, they have internal return rates set for each project, which translates to a set number of systems and overall attach rate. It must not be that drastic for the multi platform ports, seeings as how they are still supporting the platform this year.

But, the answers you seek coincide with forecasting GDP growth in 16 months along with the Fed's policy changes at the corresponding FOMC meeting.

Well Ubi said that it takes about 1 million euros to port a title. Each game makes the publisher 10 euros (i think, could be 15) per sale. So to make their money back they would need 100k sales per title minimum. 

I wish I knew how well their launch titles on the Wii U did.

#5 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:38 PM

Seems smart I guess, most companies are. But with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World I'm sure we'll be getting Wii U's off the shelf. If Nintendo does this right including Marketing.

Hopefully not to late for The Crew to make it.

Stupid Snowmads!

#6 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:53 PM

They will probably look at both. Specially, the tie ratio for their games.

#7 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:54 PM

Well damn, they are seriously not giving up on the Wii U i see. All I have in my head is doom for Nintendo because its games that were on Wii and 3DS but with HD visuals. I still don't think they're system sellers, they should have been new and origional, I wouldn't even mind if it was Galaxy 3 cause it was so damn creative, 3D land was good but does it really need a Wii U port?

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#8 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:56 PM

Seems smart I guess, most companies are. But with Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Super Mario 3D World I'm sure we'll be getting Wii U's off the shelf. If Nintendo does this right including Marketing.

Possibly the Division too, if the rumor about them bringing it to current gen is true. I think a lot of publishers are going to cling to current gen for some time. They're used to large install bases and if they go "Next Gen" exclusively, they wont hit 10 million + in sales like they're used to. 

#9 ChrizAkaTheMole

ChrizAkaTheMole

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Sonic, Star wars, WWE , DBZ

Posted 27 June 2013 - 03:58 PM

I'm not enterly sure about this. NSMBU + Nintendo Land + Lego City didn't sell the system.  DKC TF and SM3DW  vs Ps4 , Xbox one , GTAV , COD ghosts and more big , big names is going to be hard. Now christmas 2014 with Smash bros + mario kart? yes. But now? not so much in my opinion though hopefully i'm wrong as I want a Zombiu2 (insert living dead bono joke) and will be getting Mario day one.

#10 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:04 PM

Well damn, they are seriously not giving up on the Wii U i see. All I have in my head is doom for Nintendo because its games that were on Wii and 3DS but with HD visuals. I still don't think they're system sellers, they should have been new and original  I wouldn't even mind if it was Galaxy 3 cause it was so damn creative, 3D land was good but does it really need a Wii U port?

The Wii U isn't doomed. It has a lot of 3rd party support aside from EA. They just know there isn't  lot of Wii U's out there so their games probably wont make money if they're released within the first year. Also I think 3d World will be a good game. They probably wanted a safe bet on the Wii U. Same with Mario Kart 8 and Donkey Kong TF. They just need sure fire sellers right now so the Wii U can become a viable platform. Then comes the Bayonettas, X games, Original Mario titles, and original games in general. 

They will probably look at both. Specially, the tie ratio for their games.

Yeah, they probably want both. If there's millions of Wii Us, but there games don't sell, then it wont matter. 

I'm not enterly sure about this. NSMBU + Nintendo Land + Lego City didn't sell the system.  DKC TF and SM3DW  vs Ps4 , Xbox one , GTAV , COD ghosts and more big , big names is going to be hard. Now christmas 2014 with Smash bros + mario kart? yes. But now? not so much in my opinion though hopefully i'm wrong as I want a Zombiu2 (insert living dead bono joke) and will be getting Mario day one.

they're 2 new IPs at or near launch, plus an HD version of NSMB Wii. In my opinion the titles coming out this holiday are safe, strong titles that will sell a lot of systems. Plus the other strong titles coming out in 2014 (Smash, Kart, X, Bayonetta) Also Kart is early 2014 I believe. I think they pushed it back because there are plenty of titles this fall. 

#11 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:05 PM

Yeah but don't give me a sloppy port with graphics on par with ps360 and expect me to shell out 60 for it. Platnium has shown that a 3rd party game can show improve visuals that ps360 cant handle. Don't F us over Ubi... I want an amazing version of watchdogs closet thing Wii U users will get to GTA.

Edited by GAMER1984, 27 June 2013 - 06:04 PM.

#12 TheDoctor_13

TheDoctor_13

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 728 posts
  • Fandom:
    Doctor Who

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:08 PM

Ok true its going against some hard hitting titles, but the people who dont like those titles and want those DK and Mario games will be all over. Marios always a must buy.

Stupid Snowmads!

#13 ChrizAkaTheMole

ChrizAkaTheMole

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Sonic, Star wars, WWE , DBZ

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

they're 2 new IPs at or near launch, plus an HD version of NSMB Wii. In my opinion the titles coming out this holiday are safe, strong titles that will sell a lot of systems. Plus the other strong titles coming out in 2014 (Smash, Kart, X, Bayonetta) Also Kart is early 2014 I believe. I think they pushed it back because there are plenty of titles this fall. 

I will agree to disagree. To me Mario + DK are strong but with mainly Nintendo die hards who will already own a WiiU. (Though if NSMBU is just HD wii game how is DKC not?) Also Mario 3D World I want it, however the general thoughts i saw online A LOT after it was revealed was "Meh it's a 3ds game sequel. I'll wait for nexrt galaxy before I buy wiiu"

2 exlusive games on WiiU (or even more) does not compaire either to the sheer amount of PS4 launch games + announced games http://www.ibtimes.c...ames-price.htm  that is pretty huge.

Add GTA V as a competitor (this years biggest sellier I predict, and I want saints row IV more) and I dont see Wiiu competing to much. I mean even the parent factor. Wiiu $300 very few games Ps4 $399 a lot of games + will be heavily advertised in stores. $99 is not too big a diffrence and most will go with PS4. even now ps4 preorders http://www.digitaltr...ords-during-e3/ and I quote "n total, PS4 and Xbox One orders during the week of E3 beat console orders from the same period in 2012 by 4,000 percent.

I'm not saying nintendo is doomed but I think 2014 = Nintendo's year. This year is not good for it.

I will agree to disagree. To me Mario + DK are strong but with mainly Nintendo die hards who will already own a WiiU. (Though if NSMBU is just HD wii game how is DKC not?) Also Mario 3D World I want it, however the general thoughts i saw online A LOT after it was revealed was "Meh it's a 3ds game sequel. I'll wait for nexrt galaxy before I buy wiiu"

2 exlusive games on WiiU (or even more) does not compaire either to the sheer amount of PS4 launch games + announced games http://www.ibtimes.c...ames-price.htm  that is pretty huge.

Add GTA V as a competitor (this years biggest sellier I predict, and I want saints row IV more) and I dont see Wiiu competing to much. I mean even the parent factor. Wiiu $300 very few games Ps4 $399 a lot of games + will be heavily advertised in stores. $99 is not too big a diffrence and most will go with PS4. even now ps4 preorders http://www.digitaltr...ords-during-e3/ and I quote "n total, PS4 and Xbox One orders during the week of E3 beat console orders from the same period in 2012 by 4,000 percent.

I'm not saying nintendo is doomed but I think 2014 = Nintendo's year. This year is not good for it.

Ok true its going against some hard hitting titles, but the people who dont like those titles and want those DK and Mario games will be all over. Marios always a must buy.

Yes but the people who want DK and Mario over those is ... us! the nintendo fans. We already own WiiU. Companies like EA + Ubisoft are looking for more consoles to sell to have bigger chance their games will sell

#14 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 27 June 2013 - 04:38 PM

I still don't think they're system sellers, they should have been new and origional, I wouldn't even mind if it was Galaxy 3 cause it was so damn creative, 3D land was good but does it really need a Wii U port?

pikmin 3 isn't casual, wii fit u is casual, wii u party is casual, sonic isn't casual.
They've got a good mix of games you can't get on other devices coming this year.
That's what a system seller is.

Yea, battlefield 3 and 4 are ports of battlefield [that vietnam year].
That's pretty much what you're saying by calling 3dworld a port of 3dland, as they only share graphical similarities and the 3d in the name.

If watch dogs isn't a sloppy port I'll support ubisoft on the wii u, that's all I can do. Not going to reward laziness though.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#15 Goose

Goose

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 07:33 PM

Add GTA V as a competitor (this years biggest sellier I predict, and I want saints row IV more) and I don't see Wiiu competing to much. I mean even the parent factor. Wiiu $300 very few games Ps4 $399 a lot of games + will be heavily advertised in stores. $99 is not too big a difference and most will go with PS4. even now ps4 preorders http://www.digitaltr...ords-during-e3/ and I quote "n total, PS4 and Xbox One orders during the week of E3 beat console orders from the same period in 2012 by 4,000 percent.

Here's what I think though. Look at the PS4 and Xbone launch titles. Aside from first party games, everything is also coming to current gen. I think this might be the case next holiday as well. The last gen consoles might canabilize the next gen. Just like how the PSP kept people from buying the Vita. I forget who release the numbers, but for all the hoopla the preorders were only like 75k for the ps4 and 35k for xbone (pre 180 on drm). I have a PS3 and every PS4 game I saw is coming to current gen, except maybe Second Son and Final Fantasy 15. 

#16 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:19 AM

Yeah, they probably want both. If there's millions of Wii Us, but there games don't sell, then it wont matter. 

Exactly!

On the other hand, they don`t mind selling millions and Wii Us not selling! :D

#17 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 28 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

While some of the X1 and PS4 games do look good, they really don't have anything too amazing that is exclusively for the platform. Practically all the indie games and third party titles were already available on other platforms or were coming to other platforms.

Im considering preordering the Watch_Dogs for the awesome mask but as others have said, i won't shell out on a sloppy port. If i am to expect the quality that went in to the AC3 port than im out.

Posted Image

This is where it ends

#18 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:32 AM

Another thing is Ubi isn't promoting Wii U versions of their games. Why wasn't there a demo of Wii U watchdogs at E3. They have a LOT to prove from my standpoint

#19 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:58 AM

There's something very wrong here.

Not only is your logic flawed in that the games that the WiiU is missing out on aren't exactly family friendly parent-approved titles.  Wii U will have a much stronger and deeper lineup this Christmas than both of the other consoles as well.  The lineup this fall for both of the other ones is (quite literally) shooters, sports, and cars.

#20 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:07 AM

There's 30m 3DS owners.....  Friend of mine's son is far more into video games than I am- Loves Wii titles but hasn't gotten one yet, but probably will for Christmas.  I think there's a lot of nintendo fans out there who haven't taken the plunge just yet.

Yes but the people who want DK and Mario over those is ... us! the nintendo fans. We already own WiiU. Companies like EA + Ubisoft are looking for more consoles to sell to have bigger chance their games will sell

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!