Photo

Retro Studios are working on a Wii U game

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#121 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:49 PM

Very Nice Deductions Domini N Unova, though i do believe that we'll at least hear something at this e3

oh, and

I call your bet, and raise you a piece of a pizza.

what kind of Pizza?
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#122 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:50 PM

I don't what kind of pizza it is yet.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 29 January 2012 - 05:51 PM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#123 o51enough

o51enough

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:44 AM

I was actually discussing what Retro was working on the other day and I reached a conclusion with the help of some friends. For those of you who don't know, Retro studios recently went on a massive hiring spree where they got talent from studio's like Naughty Dog. This in itself doesn't sound that wierd, as it's obvious that Retro is 100% focused on WiiU and could use the staff with experience in HD. No, what does sound off are the following lines, taken from one of the new employees twitter.

Alas I am going to shelve it for a little while as I am going to work on another project that I am super excited about. I can't talk about it too much but if all goes well it might just be one of my crowning achievements as an artist....
Add this line to one of his tweets
Posted Image

With these two pieces of evidence, we can deduce a fair amount of whatever Retro is currently working on. The first thing that we can deduce is that Retro is NOT working on a new IP. The reasons for this are long and complicated, but the main supporting evidence lay in the fact that what besides reinventing an IP of Nintendo, one that is supposedly big enough to for him to consider it a crowning point of his career, could they be working on? I can certainly tell you that I clearly believe that a new IP, regardless of how new it may be, would not be enough to mark as a crowning achievement. No, whatever this achievement is, it has to be something being transformed for the WiiU.

From the second quote, we can deduce that Retro is clearly beginning to put full steam ahead on their project. In fact, it is during crunch time when many new employees join a company. We can also most likely deduce that this project is not gearing up for a demo for an event like E3, but it is instead the stages of a game. Most often, game demos do not begin to be made using the engine until roughly 1-2 months before E3. So all in all, we can assume that this crunch time is the final parts of the game.

A 3rd piece of evidence that we can use to determine what the new project Retro is working on is that they stated(Source needed) that they were working on a project everyone wants them to do. Let's take a look at the facts so far, shall we?

• Retro has hired a bunch of new staff on a project that is clearly something big
  • Retro is entering crunch time earlier then a company would if they were pumping out a demo for E3
  • Retro is working on a project that everyone wants them to do.
For their current project, it seems likely that they are doing one of the big three Nintendo titles, which are Metroid, Zelda, and Mario. But using the process of elimination, we can determine what they are truly working on. Metroid, after the sales/reviews of Other M, seems to have been shelved. Zelda games sell for a long time, so why would Nintendo jepoardize one of their potential big sellers by releasing another game in the series? The other thing that disproves these titles being Retro's next project is that Nintendo has already made a Tech Demo for an HD Zelda and would most likely do Zelda's development in house. As for Metroid, I do believe Retro stated that they were done with Metroid after they finished Prime 3. This means that the only logical choice for their project is........

MARIO

I basically proven the point as to why it's Mario above, but the final nail in the coffin is that no one has really given any thought into what an HD Mario would look like. To make the world's most recognizable video game mascot HD would certainly be a crowning achievement for any artist, would it not? Also, the crunch time would make sense, as it's a proven fact that Mario can sell a console and Iwata seemed certain that the WiiU would not lose money in it's first year.

Nice post but I can't see it being Mario.

#124 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:00 AM

I have, for a while, been thinking Retro will be working on a new StarFox, and I have to say I hope that they are. After I heard this: (http://mynintendonew...-fox-for-wii-u/) I feel certain Retro is working on StarFox. But I also think StarFox isn't the only project they are working on. I have a feeling, especially since they have hired a lot of new people, that they are working on more than one game. Retro does a good job making games, so I wouldn't doubt if they have multiple projects to work on. We will find out soon enough, maybe at this years E3 we will get an announcement telling us the game(s) that they working on.

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#125 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

I have, for a while, been thinking Retro will be working on a new StarFox, and I have to say I hope that they are. After I heard this: (http://mynintendonew...-fox-for-wii-u/) I feel certain Retro is working on StarFox. But I also think StarFox isn't the only project they are working on. I have a feeling, especially since they have hired a lot of new people, that they are working on more than one game. Retro does a good job making games, so I wouldn't doubt if they have multiple projects to work on. We will find out soon enough, maybe at this years E3 we will get an announcement telling us the game(s) that they working on.

I doubt it's star fox. Miyamoto went out stating Star Fox 64 3D would be the test of interest for Star Fox. There is no way that Retro could be entering crunch time after close to 4-6 months after the initial release of SF643D.

Nice post but I can't see it being Mario.

Why can't you? It's more likely then a Zelda or a Metroid, as Nintendo would want it at launch for the WiiU. Their Mario teamd are either working on 2D Mario 3DS or Starting new mario game development. Mario sells consoles. That's just logic in my book, and it's more likely it's mario then anything else IMO

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#126 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:38 AM

“While some suggest this new project is likely to be a return to the Metroid franchise, we’d love to see another Nintendo hero get the retro stamp of excellence. After all, having rolled out the barrels for Donkey Kong, perhaps it’s time Retro pulled off a barrel roll of a different kind.”

'a barrel roll of a different kind?' To me... that sounds like Starfox.

#127 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:50 AM

“While some suggest this new project is likely to be a return to the Metroid franchise, we’d love to see another Nintendo hero get the retro stamp of excellence. After all, having rolled out the barrels for Donkey Kong, perhaps it’s time Retro pulled off a barrel roll of a different kind.”

'a barrel roll of a different kind?' To me... that sounds like Starfox.

That's still Speculation, not fact. I still can't see it being Star Fox after Miyamoto's remarks

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

#128 dagwood dang

dagwood dang

Thwomp

• Members
  • 343 posts
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Elder Scrolls, LoZ

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

That's still Speculation, not fact. I still can't see it being Star Fox after Miyamoto's remarks

True, still speculation, and I'm well aware of Miyamoto San's statement... but we'll see.
Could be just wishful thinking on my part.

#129 Bane

Bane

Spiny

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

I agree with Domini about it possibly being Mario but at the same time there is a 2D Mario coming out for 3DS that will be out by March 31, 2013. Then again, if we can have 2 Kirbys in 1 year, we can have 2 Marios in 1 year as well.

#130 Lain

Lain

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:48 PM

Personally, I can't think of it being Mario because that franchise usually sticks to Nintendo EAD.

#131 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:54 PM

Personally, I can't think of it being Mario because that franchise usually sticks to Nintendo EAD.

Ussually, it does. But i'm leaning towards it being Mario because
  • Both Mario teams either just finished or are working on 3DS titles, the turnaround would be next to impossible to do such a thing for the WiiU's launch
  • Retro has proven they can theoretically do any genre that Nintendo wants them to do
  • Mario sells a system
  • Retro's been working on something since DKCR
  • Making Mario HD would count as a major achievement, would it not?

#132 Shokio

Shokio

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Starfox, F-Zero, SSB

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

Nice post man. But it simply CAN'T be a Mario game.

Retro said last year that they're working on a project "that everyone wants us to do." Nobody has been asking Retro to make a Mario game, therefor, it can't be Mario.

Now, people HAVE been asking for them to make a Starfox or an F-Zero game. Starfox is likely, since it's actually been more requested than F-Zero, but at the same time, F-Zero was actually mentioned in some of the Wii U patents, so it's just as likely as Starfox is.

I would say that 100%, without a doubt, Retro is working on a Starfox or an F-Zero.
Posted Image

#133 Marc

Marc

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 102 posts
  • Fandom:
    Resident Evil, Zelda, Metroid, Mario

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:08 PM

Starfox. Makes sense because it is a series that needs a new lease of life...I haven't read any of the above lol, but its what I know makes sense. Retro now feel like they'll sort out anything handed to them. Retro gooooood.
BANGIN!

My body is ready. ^_^

#134 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

Shokio makes a point. I don't think I've heard of Retro being widely asked to do Mario, heck, I don't think anyone has.

They've been asked to do Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, heck, even F-Zero, but Mario. I can't think of a case, and I lurk GameFAQs a lot. I'm pretty sure I would've read something along the lines of Mario there in all those flamebait topics.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#135 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:23 PM

Nice post man. But it simply CAN'T be a Mario game.

Retro said last year that they're working on a project "that everyone wants us to do." Nobody has been asking Retro to make a Mario game, therefor, it can't be Mario.

Now, people HAVE been asking for them to make a Starfox or an F-Zero game. Starfox is likely, since it's actually been more requested than F-Zero, but at the same time, F-Zero was actually mentioned in some of the Wii U patents, so it's just as likely as Starfox is.

I would say that 100%, without a doubt, Retro is working on a Starfox or an F-Zero.

Starfox. Makes sense because it is a series that needs a new lease of life...I haven't read any of the above lol, but its what I know makes sense. Retro now feel like they'll sort out anything handed to them. Retro gooooood.

It can not be Star fox, as I've said before, MIYAMOTO SAID THE FUTURE RESTED ON SF643D!!!! HOW CAN A GAME BE IN DEVELOPMENT WHEN THE GAME THAT WILL DETERMINE THE FRANCHISE'S FUTURE ISN'T OUT YET?
As for it Being F-zero, I doubt that as well, as Miyamoto said that while they were looking into a few months ago. I have my doubts that it's F-Zero, simply because Nintendo needs a big launch. Neither F-Zero or Starfox could provide a big launch. It's obvious that neither Star-fox or F-zero would count as a major deal on one's career as an artist. The only things that would count would be Kid Icarus style reboot or a Mario game. Heck, maybe they are doing Star-Tropics for all I care.

Edited by Domini N Unova, 30 January 2012 - 04:25 PM.

#136 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:25 PM

I could see it being starfox, but I think it's metroid. Metroid is due for another release soon considering it had its 25th this past year that was largely overlooked. As much as I loved the Zelda stuff, I do feel a little cheated we didn't get anything but a few eshop games.

#137 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

I could see it being starfox, but I think it's metroid. Metroid is due for another release soon considering it had its 25th this past year that was largely overlooked. As much as I loved the Zelda stuff, I do feel a little cheated we didn't get anything but a few eshop games.

Retro stated they were done with Metroid after Prime 3

#138 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

As for Metroid, I do believe Retro stated that they were done with Metroid after they finished Prime 3. This means that the only logical choice for their project is........

MARIO

Using this and someone elses comment about how it would look great in Space(Something about Star Fox Space Aspects i think?) it is obvious that they r working on...

SMG3!

Still havent figured it out?

Super Mario Galaxy 3!
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#139 Shokio

Shokio

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid, Starfox, F-Zero, SSB

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:23 PM

Retro stated they were done with Metroid after Prime 3

If I remember correctly, Retro said that they're done with the PRIME series, not Metroid in-general.

I may be wrong though. Correct me if I am.
Posted Image

#140 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

If I remember correctly, Retro said that they're done with the PRIME series, not Metroid in-general.

I may be wrong though. Correct me if I am.

According to wikitroid, they stated they are taking a break from Metroid. But my point of Mario selling a system still stands. Metroid wasn't a system seller.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!