Photo

PS3 Last of US ending - Am i the only 1?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:46 PM

NO SPOILERS for those who haven't played, but i need to know is there anyone else out there that didn't like the ending?

apparently at work I'm the only one...

#2 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:52 PM

no you arent the only one. I myself didnt like the ending, it felt kind of rushed. 

#3 Mignaga

Mignaga

JOO TAKE MAH EMMERROWDS?!

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zero Escape Metroid Madoka

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:57 PM

POPULAR

I thought the ending was great. It rang true with the world that we were experiencing through Joel's, and Ellie's eyes, and it showed how much both of them had changed of the course of the game, as characters. While it doesn't have that satisfying happy ending, it really shouldn't have, simply because that's not what the game was like, and as such, the ending shouldn't be like that either.

My two cents anyways, take that as you will.

Mig_Sig.png

Be wary, the suck is coming.

#4 BnB

BnB

Shoto Killer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Fandom:
    Fighting Game Junkie

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:07 PM

I thought it was good because it wasn't what I expected. The message the ending conveyed was well thought out.

tumblr_mr2nvhlPCe1s1terdo1_500_zpsc92fde

PSN: Kallusiive // NNIDEX_NewEra

#5 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:08 PM

I thought the ending was great. It rang true with the world that we were experiencing through Joel's, and Ellie's eyes, and it showed how much both of them had changed of the course of the game, as characters. While it doesn't have that satisfying happy ending, it really shouldn't have, simply because that's not what the game was like, and as such, the ending shouldn't be like that either.

My two cents anyways, take that as you will.

hmm. I didn't really want a happy ending, 

SPOILERS

i just wish Joel didn't lie to elle. He had no right to make that choice to save her, she wanted to be used for a cure, now whether she was willing to die for that is up in the air, but she didn't even get to make that choice. It does seem though, based on the end conversation, that she would have been willing. Just wasn't cool to me. from the start of the game I figured okay, someone is going to die...instead they don't, rather they doom the human race by not using her as a cure.

#6 dante👌

dante👌

Special Product

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:13 PM

SPOILERS

i just wish Joel didn't lie to elle. He had no right to make that choice to save her, she wanted to be used for a cure, now whether she was willing to die for that is up in the air, but she didn't even get to make that choice. It does seem though, based on the end conversation, that she would have been willing. Just wasn't cool to me. from the start of the game I figured okay, someone is going to die...instead they don't, rather they doom the human race by not using her as a cure.

Spoiler

#7 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Ya i wasn't so fond of the ending either, i thought it would have been better (high expectations).

POSSIBLE SPOILERS 

Spoiler

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#8 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 01:47 PM

SPOILERS

Im pretty sure she saw through his transparant lie... And was ok with it.

The one thing I really, REALLY didnt like about the ending was

Spoiler

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#9 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:30 PM

I liked the ending, it's one of 2 endings that made me feel like something wasn't rignt. The other being Mass Effect 3 but I know I'm in the minority on that one.

#10 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:00 PM

It sucked.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#11 Mignaga

Mignaga

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 05 July 2013 - 04:44 PM

SPOILERS

Spoiler

Ya i wasn't so fond of the ending either, i thought it would have been better (high expectations).

POSSIBLE SPOILERS 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Im pretty sure she saw through his transparant lie... And was ok with it.

The one thing I really, REALLY didnt like about the ending was

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mig_Sig.png

#12 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Spoiler

i 100% understand Joels feeling, however that doesn't make it right, elle is not his daughter and she deserves to make her own choice. NOW if Joel wanted to break her out of there, explain to her that yeah you're gonna have to die for them to use you BING! i like that better. 

I think the game was good and the story telling was on key, i just don't like the ending. Were it a movie (which you could argue it was) I'd still say the same thing. Joel was selfish in the end, from the killing the fireflies, the surgeon, marlene and lying to elle twice.

#13 dante👌

dante👌

Special Product

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:27 PM

i 100% understand Joels feeling, however that doesn't make it right, elle is not his daughter and she deserves to make her own choice. NOW if Joel wanted to break her out of there, explain to her that yeah you're gonna have to die for them to use you BING! i like that better. 

I think the game was good and the story telling was on key, i just don't like the ending. Were it a movie (which you could argue it was) I'd still say the same thing. Joel was selfish in the end, from the killing the fireflies, the surgeon, marlene and lying to elle twice.

Dude, ever hear of spoilers?

Spoiler

#14 BnB

BnB

Shoto Killer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Fandom:
    Fighting Game Junkie

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Spoiler

tumblr_mr2nvhlPCe1s1terdo1_500_zpsc92fde

PSN: Kallusiive // NNIDEX_NewEra

#15 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

Spoiler

The problem with this line of thought is that the logic behind it just doesnt pan out. Throughout the entirety of the game the player is given the freedom of making joels choices, from whether to start a firefight, stealth kill everyone, or just sneak past them. You can choose to let people who you feel arent bad go, or eliminate those who you think are, the choice is all yours.

To search for and collect comic books for Elly, whether or not to engage Elly in conversation when shes feeling down, or is confused, or interested in something from the past. Whenever the player is in control, ie, its not a cutscene, they are offered complete control. Except there.

Spoiler

And thats not my only gripe with the game, while most of the storytelling is great, parts of it are extremely hamfisted, like the incident with the soldier at the beginning.

But just because there are parts of the game that could be done better, or have mistakes dont mean I think it has a bad ending, or that it wasnt a fantastic game.

And even if someone did think such, so what? Just because you really enjoyed the game doesnt mean you should rationalize excuses for any of its shortcomings people may or may not think it has, it doesnt need it, it can stand just fine on its own.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#16 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 06 July 2013 - 08:50 AM

I've seen so many people criticize the ending but to be honest what did you want instead?

Joel grew to care about Ellie, it wasn't about what was morally right... if you were in the same situation as him, caring for someone so much like Joel does for Ellie, would you have let them go for the sake of something you didn't know wasn't 100% guaranteed? The vaccine wasn't a sure thing.

Besides Ellie had a bad case of survivor's guilt. Here's a really good quote on Tumblr that explains that issue a little bit better.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#17 Mignaga

Mignaga

• Members
  • 1,504 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:13 PM

The problem with this line of thought is that the logic behind it just doesnt pan out. Throughout the entirety of the game the player is given the freedom of making joels choices, from whether to start a firefight, stealth kill everyone, or just sneak past them. You can choose to let people who you feel arent bad go, or eliminate those who you think are, the choice is all yours.

To search for and collect comic books for Elly, whether or not to engage Elly in conversation when shes feeling down, or is confused, or interested in something from the past. Whenever the player is in control, ie, its not a cutscene, they are offered complete control. Except there.

Spoiler

And thats not my only gripe with the game, while most of the storytelling is great, parts of it are extremely hamfisted, like the incident with the soldier at the beginning.

But just because there are parts of the game that could be done better, or have mistakes dont mean I think it has a bad ending, or that it wasnt a fantastic game.

And even if someone did think such, so what? Just because you really enjoyed the game doesnt mean you should rationalize excuses for any of its shortcomings people may or may not think it has, it doesnt need it, it can stand just fine on its own.

I think the distinction is that none of these are really moral choices, so much as they are gameplay choices. If you were given the ability to make decisions like say now to handle a situation, outside of combat, I would be more than willing to agree with you.

Also, to touch on the spoiler

Spoiler

Mig_Sig.png

#18 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

I liked the ending.

It made Left 4 Dead possible

eb50e60b5019d8504b0c3789417a2749-the-las

794144.png?13383682

#19 SleepingWolf

SleepingWolf

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 12:28 PM

I actually liked the ending.

Joel lying to Ellie was a great way to show how selfish humans can be with something or someone they love, I think it

was a great ending that ended with the main character being a bad guy and a liar.

Edited by SleepingWolf, 06 July 2013 - 12:29 PM.

Zzzzzzz

#20 ZombiCarolyn

ZombiCarolyn

Boo

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

I liked the ending.

It made Left 4 Dead possible

eb50e60b5019d8504b0c3789417a2749-the-las

Exactly my thoughts/hopes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic