Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:36 PM

Nintendo released Fire Emblem: Awakening to rave reviews and stellar sales (for the franchise) earlier this year on 3DS. Fans of the game have looked towards a potential Wii U Fire Emblem installment in the hopes of seeing the series jump into HD.

Nintendo is making the cross-over Fire Emblem x Shin Megami Tensei for Wii U and that will release next year. But what about a stand-alone Fire Emblem for their HD console? Intelligent Systems’s Hitoshi Yamagami says the game would have to sell 700k copies (at presumably at $60 price) for the game to make sense.

Awakening needed to sell 250k copies globally for Nintendo to be satisfied and they passed that mark, selling roughly that much in the first two months in America. Estimates put the game at over 900k globally. So do you think a Wii U Fire Emblem could hit 700k sales?

For reference the GameCube FE sold about 540k while the Wii version sold roughly 460k. If Nintendo sold the game for $60 and sold 700k copies it would generate roughly $42 million in revenue. That is without taking out retailer cuts and packaging costs, possibly leaving Nintendo with $30 million or so after expenses. I’d imagine the budget of the game would be lower than $30 million, possibly closer to $15-$20 million.

http://gimmegimmegam...fy-development/

Fire Emblem could definitely hit 700k easily on the Wii U. Especially after it seems like the fanbase increased with the release of Awakening. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:48 PM

This would happen easily. If Awakening sold about 900k, then one on a much more capable system will sell like hotcakes.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#3 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 01:57 PM

This game would be huge on wii U.

IF...

They made it right and didn't think of it as a bigger 3DS game.

On a console, people young and old alike want rip-snorting graphics, atmospheric, impressive audio, and the "wow" factor in any game.

ESP this one. Could be the new Final Fantasy 7 if they did it right.

I wish Nintendo would hire some young hot-shot developers with raw talent, crazy ideas, and have an old conservative manager over them just to keep them in check concerning budget and franchise integrity and watch them run with it on this particular franchise.  

Make the game as big and epic as possible.  It will sell itself.

The Last of Us cost money. Halo 4 cost ridiculous money. But both sold extremely well. Why? Because they were great games with the best graphics those systems can muster, great audio, epic scale, and great marketing.

Fire Emblem deserves that.

#4 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

This would happen easily. If Awakening sold about 900k, then one on a much more capable system will sell like hotcakes.

Remember though, there are only around 4 million Wii Us sold, and not everyone is going to buy it. But 700k is still possible, I guess.

#5 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

Honestly this trend of 'we won't develop games because they won't sell' is getting a bit annoying. One of the reasons the Wii U isn't selling is exactly because it's lacking games. Sometimes we need to invest and take a risk and maybe the profit won't be there right away but I do believe that with the success FE: Awakening had on the 3DS, now would be a great time to try and bring new people to the Wii U, lure them with an amazing FE game and make them stay for all the other amazing Nintendo first-party exclusives.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#6 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

I would love to promise a sale, or even multiple, on my end, but I barely snuck FE:A under my dad's nose. If FE:U is rated any higher, I won't get it, and downloading can't change anything either. I LIKED the language and suggestive themes Awakening brought because it worked really well. My parents think otherwise.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#7 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 09 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

Remember though, there are only around 4 million Wii Us sold, and not everyone is going to buy it. But 700k is still possible, I guess.

Also remember that Fire Emblem Awakening sold a lot of systems. A hardcore strategy game with lots of depth, yet still accessible to people wanting to get into the series, with HD graphics and mind-blowing cutscenes will sell loads of systems.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#8 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

If they need more sales that I'd go ahead and buy more copies. Fire Emblem is a god tier series.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#9 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

I think the Wii U could do with a bigger install base if they wanna sell that many games, don't forget the 3DS has Millions of users now, Wii U is still struggleing.

#10 lucario23

lucario23

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 380 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:26 PM

I think the Wii U could do with a bigger install base if they wanna sell that many games, don't forget the 3DS has Millions of users now, Wii U is still struggleing.

Yeah, I agree. Keep fire emblem on the 3DS where we know it will sell. Keep growing that install base while you slowly work o reinventing the series on the console.

I guess what I'm saying is I want to see another fire emblem on 3DS first. And some of the older games released on virtual console for both Wii u and 3DS. Localize some if the ones that never left Japan for the eshop ( both 3DS and Wii u)

Fire Emblem would make a fantastic game to close out the generation on Wii U (you know, once it has the install base to to generate these sales) especially if it is led up to by one or two more highly successful 3DS releases and virtual console stuff.

Edited by lucario23, 09 July 2013 - 06:37 PM.

#11 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

fire emblem will sell consuls, so it doesnt need to hit 700k to do the 50-400k sales bump from fire emblem fans, the sales bump would help make up the extra 700k sales regardless.

#12 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 09 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

I think after this year passes and more WiiUs are out there due to people buying the system because of Pikmin 3, SM3DW, WWHD, and whatever else is coming out they will be able to make the 700k easily. Especially after SMTXFE comes out people will be wanting a new normal FE game pretty badly. So what I am saying is by the time this game does get released they will probably make the amount of sales they are looking for very easily.

zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#13 EvilMoogle

EvilMoogle

Spiny

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 04:38 AM

JRPGs are instant buys for me. 

#14 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

Understandable.

Although the VGchartz.com figures for the Wii game are incomplete (missing the European data) truth is that this series was going downhill in recent years. If it wasn`t for the 3DS game to change things we would probably not see this series for a long time. Not only that, FE only did well in home consoles during the SNES days.

Also, with the increase in game production costs, it makes sense for Nintendo to see how this FExSMT thing will do before jumping on a main game for the series.

#15 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 10 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

Keep in mind that console exclusives will continue to sell over the system's lifecycle if it is a good product.  Even if they don't hit 700k instantly, they will eventually meet and surpass that.

#16 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:48 PM

Keep in mind that console exclusives will continue to sell over the system's lifecycle if it is a good product.  Even if they don't hit 700k instantly, they will eventually meet and surpass that.

Something they should have considered when discontinuing FE on Wii.  That game was going for $70 on ebay a couple years after release because it was gone from retail shelves.  The game could have sold for years but the plug was pulled far to quickly. 

Nintendo also needs to figure out a good way to market the Wii U to their 3DS userbase.  There is no reason that Nintendo shouldnt be able to strike a chord with the 30 million 3DS gamers out there.  So when a game like Fire Emblem does better than expected on the 3DS, then that should be an indication that the game might be something that could presuade 3DS gamers to buy a Wii U.  Its insane how well the 3DS is doing while the Wii U is barely staying afloat right now.  Why is nintendo unable to sell a Wii U to those who bought a 3DS?  The market should be theres for the taking. 

#17 umegames

umegames

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 651 posts
  • NNID:Donte2k
  • Fandom:
    Sonic and Megaman

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

They might as well start developing it now for a 2015 release. By then there will be more wiiu's sold, and hitting 700K would be easy, dare i say a million

#18 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 10 July 2013 - 01:03 PM

Something they should have considered when discontinuing FE on Wii.  That game was going for $70 on ebay a couple years after release because it was gone from retail shelves.  The game could have sold for years but the plug was pulled far to quickly. 

Nintendo also needs to figure out a good way to market the Wii U to their 3DS userbase.  There is no reason that Nintendo shouldnt be able to strike a chord with the 30 million 3DS gamers out there.  So when a game like Fire Emblem does better than expected on the 3DS, then that should be an indication that the game might be something that could presuade 3DS gamers to buy a Wii U.  Its insane how well the 3DS is doing while the Wii U is barely staying afloat right now.  Why is nintendo unable to sell a Wii U to those who bought a 3DS?  The market should be theres for the taking. 

^this

I've certainly done that: buying a console for a franchise that I'm a fan of in another system... and that new console ended up being one of my favorite gaming systems, and I invested on a lot more games for it.

Nintendo could really use the momento from FE's success on the 3DS to bring it to the Wii U and sell the console to 3DS owners.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#19 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:50 PM

I think another good way to get the 3DS users to buy FEU is if they made it a sequel to Awakening. Everyone is already in love with the characters, so having most of them come back in a direct sequel would help them surpass their quota.

zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#20 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:34 PM

Agreed, they need to push the Wii U hard to 3DS owners.  When kids start pestering their parents for the big screen version of mario kart or a potential FE:U, it would go nuts.

I think another good way to get the 3DS users to buy FEU is if they made it a sequel to Awakening. Everyone is already in love with the characters, so having most of them come back in a direct sequel would help them surpass their quota.

Well, we know that many of those characters are going to be on the Wii U with the crossover game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!