• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:17 AM

We told you not too long ago that both Sony and Microsoft had officially priced their respective PS4 and Xbox One games at $60, the same retail price as current software titles for the PS3 and Xbox One. At the time, doubts started to appear after first-party, not third-party games were only mentioned frequently. Now we know the real reason for this, as EA has now confirmed their PS4 and Xbox One prices and it looks like you are going to have to pay more for their games.

As far as we’re aware, EA hasn’t made a big statement about this (why would they?) but it looks like the information has been inadvertently revealed thanks to a retailer FAQ from GAME in the UK. Consumers are usually used to paying around £40-45 for a new game after a general retail price of £50, but we can tell you that EA are set to raise their prices in the transition to next-gen.

GAME has confirmed that EA has already set their PS4 and Xbox One RRP price with them, as their games will have a full retail price of £54.99. This means that you could be paying £55 for the likes of Battlefield 4 and FIFA 14 when the consoles launch, which is obviously a price that many of you will feel is simply too high in today’s economic climate.

Also bear in mind that if EA are increasing their retail prices in the UK, it also means that they are almost certain to do it in the US as well. £55 translates to around $80, but it is slightly ridiculous to think that EA would have the guts to charge consumers $80 for PS4 and Xbox One games in the US when Sony and Microsoft will be charging $60 for their first-party games.

It’s also worth pointing out that EA is the only third-party publisher so far to confirm prices, we haven’t seen what the likes of Bethesda, Ubisoft and Capcom plan to do with their own games yet. You should also take into consideration that actual street prices can differ, so we may still see prices on EA games lower than the full £55 tag.

Source: http://www.product-r...-with-warning/?

It actually won't affect my buying decisions if I have to pay an extra $10-$20 US to buy a game, if I want it. What about you?

#2 Gruff

Gruff

Jigglypuff

• Members
  • 1,179 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Animal Crossing, SSB, Nintendo

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:21 AM

If you're going to pay several hundred dollars for the game system then you don't need to spend nearly a hundred for each game.

Edited by Villager, 12 July 2013 - 05:22 AM.

Villager.jpgBleh eh eh.

#3 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:36 AM

Yeah that would sink the gaming business.

#4 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:42 AM

I aint spending £55 for no game! I've never spent over £40 on a game in my life. I always buy them for £35 or lower. £55 is asking for too much, EA if you want to stop being hated, stop being so freaking greedy!

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#5 Portal

Portal

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,075 posts
  • NNID:AwewomeMii
  • Fandom:
    StarWars and Korra

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:46 AM

Even though this is gaming at it's cheapest, $60 a game is really pushing it. If it's some rare game on eBay or something, I'm willing to fork over a bit more. I'm hardly about to do this for EA's yearly releases. Freaking greedy over there.

Some people always have a cellphone on them. I'm so awesome I always have a 3DS.
Signature_Portal1.png
Check out my blog! Portal's Portal

#6 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:59 AM

I would go into some huge rant about how this would kill the game industry, but I'm not. The game industry has survived and thrived before when games were WAY more expensive than they are now. If I recall, some N64/SNES games could reach upwards of...oh, $80.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#7 BanjoKazooie

BanjoKazooie

Witch Slayer

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Fandom:
    LOZ, Mario, Elder Scrolls

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:47 AM

Me, possibly others will not buy those games.

post-1466-0-36015200-1348103349.png

I was once known here as KillerMario, but since I really like Banjo-Kazooie, I changed my display name to show them my respect :)

#8 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:10 AM

Well considering I'm still a student and finding a job is nearly impossible in my country right now, I really can't spend all the money my mom manages to give me as my allowance in videogames. Yes, I've bought games on release day for $60 before, but I quickly realized that I rarely needed to play the game right away and after only a few weeks I'd find the game at $40 or even $30 and I'd be kinda pissed at myself.

So raising the price, especially on EA games which are mostly all the same and just lazy 'milking' of the same franchises, will probably put me off of buying their games and since not all games lower their prices son, sometimes I even forget about them and move on to other games I want to play more.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#9 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

The reason that this is dumb is that so far, they are the only company doing this. Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, CoD Ghosts, MGSV, etc. are all $60. Why would they make themselves higher than the competition?

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#10 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

As long as COD is still a $60 release, I can continue to stay away from all EA games.

The reason that this is dumb is that so far, they are the only company doing this. Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, CoD Ghosts, MGSV, etc. are all $60. Why would they make themselves higher than the competition?

Titanfall is an EA game. Look for it to increase.

#11 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 12 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

As long as COD is still a $60 release, I can continue to stay away from all EA games.

Titanfall is an EA game. Look for it to increase.

You understand my point though; they are the only 3rd Party developer looking to increase prices.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#12 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:01 AM

The more expensive they become, less games will be sold in general.

Games here come out at 65-69 euros. If they are going to increase i`ll probably spend less in games or at least, i`ll buy less retail games and more eshop and VC games.

#13 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

What will happen is Indy developers will really start to shine, and that's fine with me. Learn how to make a game for less big developers!

#14 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

Just join the PC mater race and wait for Steam sales?

#15 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

Complain like a mo fo.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#16 Gamejunkie

Gamejunkie

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 07:01 AM

You understand my point though; they are the only 3rd Party developer looking to increase prices.

How do you know that they are the only third party publisher looking to charge that much. We haven't heard officially about any of the other publishers and they may well all choose to charge the same.

On a general note those are just the MSRP prices and games can typically be found for less online at least here in the UK. I buy most of my games from the likes of Shop To, Amazon, Simply Games and others online and always pay less then MSRP.

#17 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:32 PM

Just join the PC mater race and wait for Steam sales?

A Wii U and PlayStation 4 combined cost less than a good gaming PC, even if you build one yourself; if your okay with a crappy computer than it may be worth it. 

#18 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 10:51 PM

Ah, but if you take advantage of Steam Saled you save a LOT on games, possibly even enough to offset the price difference ( like $60 games on sale for $30 or less, and many really fun games for $5 or less. )

Off hand I can say my Wii game collection cost me $600, while my steam game collection cost me under $100 for more games. I'll have to look up the specifics when I get home next week though.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#19 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 14 July 2013 - 01:58 AM

If you can afford the console, then you can afford the games, and the games have been proved here in aus they are about the same amount as ps3/360 games were around launch.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#20 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

This industry is getting completely stupid, it was expensive before, this will just make things even worse.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!