#1 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

I saw a topic by retro blast and in it he stated his opinion on what makes a hardcore gamer and it got me thinking what really makes a hardcore gamer and I think that you're a hardcore gamer if gaming is apart of your life such as being on a forum, watching trailers, buying games on release day, talking to other gamers about what games you're excited for and looking up news about gaming. I also think that there is no such thing as a hardcore game or a casual game because I'm a hardcore gamer and I play animal crossing and mario kart and those games are usually laughed at by the "hardcore gamers" that only play call of duty and madden so I'm curious about what you guys think and also heres a link to retro blasts topic its a really good read you should check it out http://thewiiu.com/t...ps/#entry231908

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:21 PM

Exercise.

You want a hard core, you gotta exercise. You want those abs to be rock hard, you gotta exercise. You want those muscles solid, you gotta exercise.

If you can do that on top of being a gamer, you're a hardcore gamer.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

Exercise.

You want a hard core, you gotta exercise. You want those abs to be rock hard, you gotta exercise. You want those muscles solid, you gotta exercise.

If you can do that on top of being a gamer, you're a hardcore gamer.

you have 100% change my opinion I agree with you now

#4 ChrisD

ChrisD

Nyah, see! Nyah!

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Fandom:
    PCSoTendo. Because fanboyism is dumb.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:35 PM

Someone with no life.

Or one who wants needless attention. 

Hardcore gamer is just about the dumbest thing I've heard on the internet. And I've been on the internet for a while.

#5 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:45 PM

you have 100% change my opinion I agree with you now

I just realised you are new here and probably don't understand I often make joke posts.

AuzzieWingman.png

#6 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:48 PM

I just realised you are new here and probably don't understand I often make joke posts.

oh it was a joke because I was serious

#7 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Usually the term 'hardcore' refers to really being into an activity. So hardcore gaming would essentially mean gaming enthusiasts. In fact, you probably don't even need to play all that much to begin with; having intimate knowledge on games and understanding what others talk about could count as sufficient.

AuzzieWingman.png

#8 Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 636 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dat Mario Kart Life.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:59 PM

Ohhhh noooo one of these topics.
I think hardcore is how a person plays a game. Let's use Mario Kart for example like I usually do.

Lots of people play Mario Kart casually and just play races to have a little fun by themselves or with friends in person or online. Casual is fine no one should knock it because it's just for fun and that's what games are for.

Now a hardcore Mario Kart player will learn all the tricks in gameplay mechanics, get 3 stars on all cups, beat all the staff ghosts and try and set good records. It is all about how the player plays the game that defines it in my eyes.

Both casual and hardcore are just fine and I do both for certain games. No one should be ridiculed for being a casual gamer or need to feel like the only way they will be considered a gamer is to be hardcore. We all do it to escape and have fun. It doesn't matter.
zZJ9pHB.png
Special thanks to Horchata. I appreciate it so much.

#9 BnB

BnB

Shoto Killer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Fandom:
    Fighting Game Junkie

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hardcore gamer is someone who accepts video games as a hobby and doesn't discriminate between games, genres, consoles, or developers.

tumblr_mr2nvhlPCe1s1terdo1_500_zpsc92fde

PSN: Kallusiive // NNIDEX_NewEra

#10 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:57 PM

Hardcore gamer is someone who accepts video games as a hobby and doesn't discriminate between games, genres, consoles, or developers.

Hahahahaha no, CoD players aren't hardcore...

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#11 BnB

BnB

Shoto Killer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Fandom:
    Fighting Game Junkie

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:00 PM

Yes, because that's obviously what I said.

Edited by BnB, 15 July 2013 - 08:01 PM.

tumblr_mr2nvhlPCe1s1terdo1_500_zpsc92fde

PSN: Kallusiive // NNIDEX_NewEra

#12 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

According to the industry it was traditional to call the gamer casual or hardcore, now it is customary to call the game casual or hardcore.

Because, gamers never accually fit into  certain roles easily. Hardcore (sometimes called core) games are things like Xenoblade (suprise)  hardcore games refer to games that is designed for a player to immerse themselves in a game for hours upon hours even weeks thanks to   social interaction (COD) , detailed sorylines (Xenoblade) or complex character development (The last of us... i think..).

gennerally Hard core games are designed to have bad UI.. that is just how hardcore games are, its near impossible to make a good UI for a hardcore game Talking from a design standpoint that is.

Casual games on the other had are designed to be played and stopped  quickly such as  angry birds. Games that are easy to learn and entertaining ways to pass  small amounts of time. Mario pokemon and even Phoenix Wright do not fit into these demographics. 

currently only those looking for excuses or to brad like to call themselves hardcore since the industry has accually moved on from that since all players fir into both camps in some way.

source: Im a game dev :P

#13 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:14 PM

I have to disagree with you because if call of duty is casual so is smash bros and neither of them are casual they can be played casually but there are tournaments and people winning large amounts of money from mastering both of these games

#14 Garolymar

Garolymar

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 253 posts
  • NNID:Garolymar
  • Fandom:
    Pikmin/ Anything else Nintendo.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:31 PM

I liked being ignorant of the online gaming community. So many pointless labels. Golden days are behind me I suppose.

Posted Image

#15 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:49 PM

I liked being ignorant of the online gaming community. So many pointless labels. Golden days are behind me I suppose.

the funny thing is The industry used those pointless titles  in the more golden age of gaming and  not anymore.

#16 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

A hardcore gamer is judged on how passionate they are to gaming, not the games they play.

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#17 Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cloud Windfoot Omega

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:14 PM

Guys, everyone has their own definition of what hardcore means, therefore   there is no set definition making it unicorn tongue.

#18 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

Mostly when a moment in a game that can make you go "OOOOOOOOOO!"

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#19 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:23 PM

I think hardcore is how a person plays a game. Let's use Mario Kart for example like I usually do.

Lots of people play Mario Kart casually and just play races to have a little fun by themselves or with friends in person or online. Casual is fine no one should knock it because it's just for fun and that's what games are for.

Now a hardcore Mario Kart player will learn all the tricks in gameplay mechanics, get 3 stars on all cups, beat all the staff ghosts and try and set good records. It is all about how the player plays the game that defines it in my eyes.

Both casual and hardcore are just fine and I do both for certain games. No one should be ridiculed for being a casual gamer or need to feel like the only way they will be considered a gamer is to be hardcore. We all do it to escape and have fun. It doesn't matter.

I think these two posts pretty much sum it up. Nevertheless I think labels are just about the dumbest thing people need in a society and they only serve to create conflicts and discriminate and rarely do any good. When people say "labels are a necessity in a society" I just have to cringe.

I can be a "casual gamer" and still play hardcore one or two games. Does that make me any less casual? Does that make me completely hardcore? I don't know, probably none of you do either, and that's the beauty of not having labels, we're just gamers regardless if we're playing 12 hours a day and going on competitions or if we just enjoy to sit down for a while whenever we have free time and have a little fun.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#20 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 16 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

If all you play is CoD and Madden (Or Fifa in UK) you are not a gamer in my book, never mind a hardcore gamer

A hardcore gamer is a gamer who plays a WIDE WIDE Variety of games, ranging from retro to modern and plays as one of his main hobbies. 

A hardcore gamer in my book is someone who plays ANY type of game. Doesn't have to have gore and blood in it. People who play animal crossing can be a hardcore gamer if they play a ton of other games with it. If all you play is First Person Shooters or sports games, you are not a hardcore gamer, you are a First person shooter fanatic or sports fanatic.

While casual gamers are gamers who only play casual games, candy crush, animal crossing, farmville, puzzle games etc. Just games that everyone can play.

My sister is a casual gamer, plays no games but stuff like puzzle games, candy crush, farmville, angry birds etc, but she goes for highscores and stuff, beats staff ghosts, 3 starts etc, that doesn't make her a hardcore gamer, she bearly plays games to begin with. Just makes her a completionist 

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!