Photo

Can something be done about all the damn spambots?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

Every day I log onto these forums, and being the idiot I click a topic by one of them. This has been an ongoing problem for months now, something needs to be done. All they do is link to malware/spyware and quite frankly it makes the forums look bad. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:14 PM

For now, we're just doing what we can.  It could be worse, but I would say that 2 or so spam threads a day aren't too bad, as it is very easy to get rid of a bot.

#3 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:15 PM

There was like five earlier. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#4 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:24 PM

I know, right? I click the thread, expecting an entertaining read and see that it's just a bunch of gibberish. Always putting my hopes down. :'(

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:32 PM

http://www.spamhelp....harvesterkiller

Take an offensive approach.

There's plenty of other similar things like that you can do that will pro-actively make it less profitable for the person profiting from the bots.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:40 PM

I don't get it, who or what are causing these spambots? a virus? 

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

#7 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:59 PM

I don't get it, who or what are causing these spambots? a virus?

Companies program bots to travel the internet signing up for forums and making these posts.

#8 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:44 PM

I don't know how much I can actually do, as feldo is using a separate spam service (not the default).  I could bug him, but I don't know how willing he would be to change it or whatever.  I could also change or add more registering questions.

http://www.spamhelp....harvesterkiller

Take an offensive approach.

There's plenty of other similar things like that you can do that will pro-actively make it less profitable for the person profiting from the bots.

I'll implement that.

#9 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

I demand Captcha after every posted

And after the Captcha, a 2-3 day mod approval waiting period.... because I simply cant stand having to look at spam threads when im browsing the forums at 5am and the mods are asleep

#10 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

Yeah, the bot problem is starting to get frustrating........

#11 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:53 AM

This is getting out of hand. 

164241_483475091735879_851629046_n.jpg

• Doc likes this

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#12 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:05 AM

POPULAR

This is getting out of hand. 

164241_483475091735879_851629046_n.jpg

Looking back at the reports, this was handled quick and was under control.  You guys need to realize we aren't robots and cannot ban a spambot a second after it registers.

#13 PyroKinesis

PyroKinesis

Boo

• Members
  • 534 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Party, Animal Crossing

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:45 AM

I don't think anyone is asking for instant removal, but they are asking for the prevention of these bots from joining in the first place.

#14 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

Looking back at the reports, this was handled quick and was under control.  You guys need to realize we aren't robots and cannot ban a spambot a second after it registers.

Why not?

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#15 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:57 AM

Why not?

Are you asking why aren't they robots? 

Point is, if Feld0 was here to install a few mods here and there, we wouldn't these bots everyday. 

Edited by Y2Kev, 18 July 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#16 Tim

Tim

Hylian

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Fandom:
    Funky Kong, Link, Mario Kart

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:18 PM

Funny, having joined yesterday, I've not yet had the "pleasure" of running in to one of these spam topics yet. Well, it can only be a matter of time.

28rl4di.png

I think everyone who has a signature picture should shrink it a little. Easier on the eyes.

The way I see it, flying is simple.  You just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

#17 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 23 July 2013 - 12:21 AM

First bot Ive seen since the new anti spambot thing was added came on tonight....

The bots are learning our tactics...

They've adapted

We need to adapt faster than they do...before its too late

:P  Better hurry and kill it Mourn before Zinix has another fit 

#18 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

I say once a month we sacrifice a member of the forums to the spambots. It's a win win situation, we're happy they're happy. How could it possibly go wrong? There is of course the sacrifice....any nominations? I was thinking Firejonie for our sacrifice. Any objections? no? ok.

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#19 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

That's fine.

#20 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:55 AM

What if they're not bots, and their actually people hired by the movie companies to spam people to watch their movies?

I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!