Photo

Can something be done about all the damn spambots?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 McMurphy

McMurphy

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • NNID:McMurphy
  • Fandom:
    Mario Kart, Dragon Quest

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

I don't know. Every time I visit here, I haven't actually come across spambots. They seem to be wrangled rather quickly, and, as it has been suggested prior in this discussion, a few spambots sneaking their way in not a big deal.

I think people are not taking in account that there is no lasting defense against spambots. Forum administrators are forced to continuously update their defenses. What was once a perfect solution one year is cracked the following. For example, my community had its six year anniversary last June. To celebrate, I thought it would be fun to return the forums to how they appeared years ago for a weekend. With the first half of an hour of the rollback, I had fifty spambots flood the forum...and that isn't even counting the ones that simply registered an account and hadn't responded to the verifying email. Naturally, I scrapped that idea!

In other words, it seems like the spam counter-measures here are up to date, and the staff is doing an excellent job removing the handful of knuckleheads that slip through the cracks in a reasonable span of time.

gunslinger_nintendowiiu_banner2.png

#22 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

I just got off hiatus so I didn't notice. I hate those damn spambots. Thats why the sign up process needs changed.

Signature_DK.png

#23 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:07 PM

Feld0 is too lazy to come on here and actually do something about it. So he leaves Mournblade to fend for himself and fed him to the pack of wolves. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#24 Klobb

Klobb

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi and Durant

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

Feld0 is too lazy to come on here and actually do something about it. So he leaves Mournblade to fend for himself and fed him to the pack of wolves. 

Feld0 isn't lazy. Just negligent. :/

If you think Smogon ban stuff

"Just because they can't beat it"

You clearly don't play OU

You clearly have no knowledge of the metagame

And you clearly don't deserve to have an opinion.

#25 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

I think that the registration form should ask a couple questions that any Wii U owner would know, this being a Wii U forum. t might help. Don't know which questions off hand though.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#26 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:38 AM

How about a Spam-O-Matic mod for the forums? Could help, at least a bit.

http://www.vbulletin...ad.php?t=248042

Think you could add this, admins?

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#27 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:43 AM

I think that the registration form should ask a couple questions that any Wii U owner would know, this being a Wii U forum. t might help. Don't know which questions off hand though.

I'm considering editing that.  Do you or anyone else have any suggestions?

How about a Spam-O-Matic mod for the forums? Could help, at least a bit.

http://www.vbulletin...ad.php?t=248042

Think you could add this, admins?

We actually have that tool, or another version of that.  Currently it has stopped around 6000 something bots just this month alone.

#28 dante👌

dante👌

Special Product

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:28 AM

I don't know why everyone is getting so pissy about it. When a mod signs on they can get rid of them quickly.

#29 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:41 PM

We actually have that tool, or another version of that.  Currently it has stopped around 6000 something bots just this month alone.

Good, I can't imagine the forums having that many spambots.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#30 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:28 AM

We do.
It's a small pool though, only 3 answers I believe.
It was brought up in an earlier thread about this.

I'm considering editing that.  Do you or anyone else have any suggestions?

You need a larger pool of questions/answers, or a straight-up proper capcha.
Also, make sure it's not skipable. either whoever wants the bots here knows all the answers to the questions at registration or can just ignore the question and register anyway.

Edited by Nollog, 30 July 2013 - 04:29 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!