Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:33 PM

Is it possible to increase the size limit for avatars? It would help those who want to use gifs for their avatars without compressing it to the point where you can't tell what it is. I do know that doing this would probably cause lag on the site, especially if everyone is using a gif. I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem. I don't know, I guess this is just a suggestion for the future.

#2 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:34 PM

I think its possible. All Mourn would have to increase the set avatar size limit. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#3 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

This would be very helpful, yes it can have a large impact but really what is 100kb more going to do

wjapt2.jpg

#4 SolxBurst

SolxBurst

Okami Amaterasu

• Writers
  • 630 posts
  • NNID:SolxBurst
  • Fandom:
    Okami, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

If you upload using gravatar you don't really have that problem, or at least I never have.

2jd1178.jpg

"...A well written villain is a hero in his/her own world..."

#5 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:39 PM

I enforce this. The limit can be annoying.

#6 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:43 PM

If you upload using gravatar you don't really have that problem, or at least I never have.

I have no idea how to use the gravatar thing

#7 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:47 PM

Make a wordpress/Gravatar account, upload it from your computer/or a link on the internet, and it uploads your image on a gallery. You then copy and paste the link, and you should be able to whatever you want. I'm not too keen on Gravitar, my avatar gets cut off, you can't see the the full image.I'm for the avatar size being increased here. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#8 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 17 July 2013 - 06:54 PM

1 GB please

#9 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

Make a wordpress/Gravatar account, upload it from your computer/or a link on the internet, and it uploads your image on a gallery. You then copy and paste the link, and you should be able to whatever you want. I'm not too keen on Gravitar, my avatar gets cut off, you can't see the the full image.I'm for the avatar size being increased here. 

Yeah, I think increasing avatar size would be easier than that.

#10 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

I was able to figure out how to change the file size limit, however, I'm not exactly sure what a good number would be.  Typically, I saved my avatars from resized PNGs into JPEGS to get away with it.

#11 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

maybe 200kbs max? 300? I don't know how much too much would be, but what we have now is kind of small.

Edited by Chaos, 17 July 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#12 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

Thank the lord, do you know how annoyingly hard it is to find a picture that works on these forums?

#13 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:10 AM

I enforce this. The limit can be annoying.

:o

100kB is too much imo.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#14 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:21 PM

Does anyone else have any more input on the suggested file size?

#15 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

300kb should suffice right? i mean that is triple what was previously available, or even 200kb even that is much better then 100kb

however i really dont think it should be necessary to make the new limit over 300kb 

wjapt2.jpg

#16 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 19 July 2013 - 09:16 AM

250KB sounds reasonable imo. 300 sounds overkill.

#17 SolxBurst

SolxBurst

Okami Amaterasu

• Writers
  • 630 posts
  • NNID:SolxBurst
  • Fandom:
    Okami, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda

Posted 19 July 2013 - 10:02 AM

I have no idea how to use the gravatar thing

Its pretty easy actually, you just sign up for the site and you can upload pics to crop and use on a lot of websites.

Edited by SolxBurst, 19 July 2013 - 10:02 AM.

2jd1178.jpg

"...A well written villain is a hero in his/her own world..."

#18 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:58 PM

Learn to compress your images, they're not 5 million pixels wide, they're around 80x80 or 100x100, it shouldn't result in sizes over 100KB unless you have no idea what you're doing.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#19 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:13 PM

Learn to compress your images, they're not 5 million pixels wide, they're around 80x80 or 100x100, it shouldn't result in sizes over 100KB unless you have no idea what you're doing.

I know how to compress pictures, but compressing gifs makes them look awful.

#20 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 21 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

I know how to compress pictures, but compressing gifs makes them look awful.

Then don't use a gif as your avatar.

You don't need to put a big movie under your name but if you must, 3 or 4 frames would work if you're smart about it.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: file, upload, size, avatars, extra, tags

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!