RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

If you are anything like me, you really enjoy video games and chances are you have more than one video game system, console or handheld.

As the Next Generation Of Gaming came upon us, my question was not which system will I buy, it was which one will I buy first.

The Wii had already been out for about 6 months and I was highly anticipating watching videos on the net about the PS4.  After watching everything I could on the PS4 I looked at Nintendo Direct and said damn!  There's a new Zelda game for the 3DS based on my favorite Zelda game of all time, A Link To The Past, then wham, I saw Mario World 3D.  Suddenly my focus shifted and I went into a GameStop and got to play MarIo Brothers Wii U ... and I loved it ... it had been far too long since I enjoyed a good old Mario Game, I missed the top quality gameplay Nintendo offers.

I decided to get both the 3DS XL and Nintedo Wii U ... I have to say that I am very happy I did!  Do I still want the PS4?  Yes, but the Nintendo Wii U and the 3DS will help me to become a LATE ADOPTER to the PS4.

My reasoning was simple.  Nintendo games hold their value for so long, being a late adopter to a Nintendo System might save you a few bucks when it comes to Hardware but it really doesn't save you too much money when it comes to software.  This is because Nintendo Software holds its value for so long used or new.

So by getting Nintendo Systems now and enjoying their games, It will hold me over until the PS4 comes out with their slim model.  By the time the PS4 comes out with a slim model, all the top notch games that came out for the system in its first year will be drastically reduced in price and so will the hardware.

Typically it only a few months until a game gets a lower price when it come to the Playstation.  It moves from 59.99 down to 49.99 in a short amount of time, then down to 39.99, then down to 20.00 then to 50% off via Playstation Plus.  This does not happen to Nintendo Software.

One other factor that came to mind is that Nintendo does not release a rash of games ... they are slow to come.  This gives me the opportunity to completely finish a Nintendo game ... to find all the secret items, exits, and such.  For some reason, Nintendo games are the only games I do that for and generally its either a Zelda or Mario game.  I have played Uncharted 1, 2, and 3 on the PS3 and I never had any intention of finding all the hidden items, nor do I wish to go back and replay them to find them.  Yet in Mario and Zelda games, I feel compelled to find all the goodies and they are games which are so well made, you do not mind going back in and replaying a particular area.

So as the Microsoft Xbox One and PS4 system release frenzy kicks in, I will just sit back and try to find that third golden coin in a Mario Game!  I will wait until the dust settles and Sony comes out with a PS4 Slim Bundle, by that time, I will know what the good games are and will be able to pick up 2 to 4 top notch games for price of one ($60).  And at that time, I bet you that the Mario Wii U game I got when I picked up my Wii U will still cost $60.00 new and not much less for a used copy.

It just makes more sense to be a LATE ADOPTER to either the PS4 or XBox One then it does to be one for the Nintendo Wii U.  So if you don't have a Wii U, Pick one up and join the next generation, enjoy it and savor the great games it has and will have soon, be a completionist and enjoy each and every nook and cranny in the games ... hold off on the PS4 / XBox One ... in the long run that will save you a lot of money. 

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:22 PM

I thought it made more sense to buy the consoles you wanted and the games you want for them as they come out.

At least, that's what I'm doing. inFAMOUS: Second Son and Destiny certainly won't be on the Wii U.

What you're saying also works both ways. I could wait on a Wii U, buy a PS4 at launch, and buy a Wii U once it's gotten a price cut and most of its games are $30 or less through eBay/Amazon/etc.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

I have over 120 games for the PS3, if I had bought them all new, I would be broke, completely broke.  I was a very late adopter to the PS3 and was able to pick up games that used to cost $60 for $10, you just can't do that with Nintendo.  Nintendo games keep their value too long.   Super Mario Brothers Wii is still selling for $40.00.  By always staying a year or two or more behind with the other systems, you save a lot more than if you are a year or two behind with a Nintendo System.  Look at Uncharted 3, its free now for PS3.  Do you really think Nintendo will give you a top notch Mario Game released  2011 for Free?  Never!  Yes I want Killzone that is never coming to the Wii U but when I get it, as a late adopter, I may either get it free or at a 1/4 of its original price.  But while I am waiting for that price drop to happen, I will be enjoying some great Nintendo games that will never really be that much cheaper a year from now.  Just look up how much Super Mario Galaxy 2 still costs ... about $40 then look at Battlefield Bad Company 2 ... $10 and both were released in 2010.

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#4 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:04 PM

Why are we still calling it the Xbone.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#5 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:08 PM

its just abbriviated, like PS4 .... it is called thr XBox One, Not 1

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:20 PM

I suppose I agree with this article but in a way with Nintendo's game prices I just feel they are bieng greedy, I mean Pokemon Daimond is still £25-£30 new and look how long it's been out :( PS4 Slim?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Soooooooooooo PancakeStation 4 then??? I already thought the PS4 was small enough.

#7 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:43 PM

Haha, its not that I'm interested in it being slim, its that when the production costs come down and technology allows them to make it smaller and cheaper for them and us, by that time games will be nice and cheap.

Even used Nintendo games are not cheap ... I just picked up a used copy of SMB Wii and it was $40.00 ... And that game is a generation behind !!! Price gouging even on old used Nintendo games ... You only find cheap Nintendo games if they are at least 2 generations behind.

#8 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 17 July 2013 - 09:57 PM

Very well reasoned.  

Are you mostly interested in single-player games?  I ask because the only issue one could run into with your strategy is that hit multiplayer games from the beginning of the PS4 era might not have active communities by the time the slim hardware comes out and the earlier games have dropped in price.  For example, Destiny really interests me and it's coming out next year.  If I buy a PS4 in 2015 or 2016, will I have missed out on that game?

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#9 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:06 PM

your points make complete sense but I am impatient and want the games NOWWWWWW which is weird because I usually go with the logical answer but when it comes to games I just can't wait to get my hands on them and the same goes for new consoles when they first come out because I bought the 3ds launch day which worked out really because of ambassador but usually it won't work out like that soooooo yeah

#10 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:30 PM

I want everything now too, but I decided I need to hold off on something so holding off on the PS4 seemed more logical. I don't really like online multiplayer games, especially shooters. I like single player campaigns for shooters. The one game I loved playing online co op for was Lara Croft Guardian of Light - that was awesome. Believe it or not, out of all the upcoming games, the one I am most excited about is Zelda, A Link Between Worlds and next is Mario World 3d. Then comes Knack then Killzone.

Edited by RETROBLAST, 17 July 2013 - 10:31 PM.

#11 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:28 AM

I was a very late adopter to the PS3 (only got mine last year) and I don't feel like I missed out on anything from the experience. Multiplayer communities from older games are still somewhat relatively active, especially if the MP is good. Still have lots of benefits from PS+, I barely have to buy new games, really. And the games are pretty cheap right now, so I can afford a couple of them every now and then.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#12 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:30 AM

I also picked up my PS3 very late in the game, Christmas, 2011, and it was so awesome to be able to pick up so many games so cheap, and add the free games and discounts with PlayStation Plus on top of that and my system was loaded with games.

One of the things I really want to wait for as well is to see how games you purchased digitally on PSN on the PS3 will be handled once cloud gaming kicks in ... Will they be free since you bought them already? How will the service run .... Smoothly?

#13 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:15 AM

I thought it made more sense to buy the consoles you wanted and the games you want for them as they come out.

At least, that's what I'm doing. inFAMOUS: Second Son and Destiny certainly won't be on the Wii U.

What you're saying also works both ways. I could wait on a Wii U, buy a PS4 at launch, and buy a Wii U once it's gotten a price cut and most of its games are $30 or less through eBay/Amazon/etc.

I don't think that makes more sense. You can buy more games if you wait until they're cheaper instead of buying them right away. Also Sony's games tend to lower in price a lot quicker than Nintendo's.

I also picked up my PS3 very late in the game, Christmas, 2011, and it was so awesome to be able to pick up so many games so cheap, and add the free games and discounts with PlayStation Plus on top of that and my system was loaded with games.

One of the things I really want to wait for as well is to see how games you purchased digitally on PSN on the PS3 will be handled once cloud gaming kicks in ... Will they be free since you bought them already? How will the service run .... Smoothly?

Yeah I got mine in February of 2012 I believe. Really nice cheap games that I'd never played before. Nothing lost by getting them later. In fact PS3 games tend to get better versions if you buy them later.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#14 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:58 AM

It won't be getting a price cut any time soon.  

#15 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:51 AM

I don't think that makes more sense. You can buy more games if you wait until they're cheaper instead of buying them right away. Also Sony's games tend to lower in price a lot quicker than Nintendo's.

I'll rephrase. It makes more sense to spend your money as you see fit, buying games when you want them. I could wait to buy the next Batman game, sure, but do I feel like waiting a year or more just to get a better deal while everybody around me spoils the story? Uh...no.

It won't be getting a price cut any time soon.  

Hence why I said one could wait to buy one.

Although, I already own a Wii U, so the statement was more rhetorical than anything.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#16 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:57 AM

Hence why I said I could wait. 

Although, I already own a Wii U, so the statement was more rhetorical than anything.

There's no point in waiting for a price cut when there isn't one coming.  Wii U first makes more sense, because the PS4 games landscape is going to be sparse for a while after launch.  Meanwhile many of Nintendo's biggest titles are coming out before, during, and after both of the other consoles launch

I'll rephrase. It makes more sense to spend your money as you see fit, buying games when you want them. I could wait to buy the next Batman game, sure, but do I feel like waiting a year or more just to get a better deal while everybody around me spoils the story? Uh...no.

For sure.

#17 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:01 AM

Why are we still calling it the Xbone.

it's a "witty" way of insulting it as well as talking about it at the same time!!

#18 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:54 PM

i got a 3DS & WiiU both at launch & regret it, instead of spending money on a WiiU, better to out it towards a PS4, it's only $50/£50 more for a PS4 over a WiiU.

i am sorry to say i cannot recommend buying a WiiU :(

#19 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:40 PM

Alan, why are you always so damn negative about the Wii U? Dude, it's not like it did anything to you. A LOT of games are already coming out and you still whine about these games without even horsing trying them.

(Sorry guys, needed to vent out.)

i got a 3DS & WiiU both at launch & regret it, instead of spending money on a WiiU, better to out it towards a PS4, it's only $50/£50 more for a PS4 over a WiiU.

i am sorry to say i cannot recommend buying a WiiU :(

Edited by PopiPenguin, 18 July 2013 - 02:40 PM.

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#20 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:37 PM

The ultimate situation is to buy all the next gen systems and handhelds too and buy what ever games you want for each of them on release day, unfortunately my last name doesnt even sound anything like Trump.

So what I was saying is, if you can only afford one conole at the moment ... one that you will be buying games for on or close to the release date, the Wii U is the one to go with because:

1 - Nintendo games do not drop in price for a very long time.

2 - Other consoles games drop in price quickly and continue to do so steadily - so buying them on release day or very close to it is a waste.

3 - Nintendo releases less games but more games that are of such high quality and enjoyment, they have greater replay value - You almost feel compelled to keep replaying a level in a Mario Game to find all three Star Coins ... but here's the kicker, you enjoy doing it.

4 - By having a Wii U and buying games for it, you are enjoying being a part of the Next Generation of Gaming and are paticipating in the excitement of buying newly released games.

Edited by RETROBLAST, 18 July 2013 - 03:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!