Photo

I think people are overestimating the PS4.

PS4

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:25 PM

This isn't a hate thread, the PS4 actually looks really good.

Well, the PS4 was revealed a while ago, and I think it's time to look over the reveal without hype obscuring what it actually was like.

Lots of people saw the PS4 reveal and thought: "Wow, this system looks incredible!" and this was emphasised even further because the Xbox One reveal was, in many people's opinions, really horrible.

But now that Microsoft has gone back on many of the things that made people hate the Xbox One, people still hate it and think the PS4 will be astronomically better and it seems almost illogical to me, sure the Xbox One reveal was botched and the console still costs more money, and it might be used to spy on you, but other than that and a few smaller things, it's pretty much the same thing as the PS4.

Now, let's talk about the PS4 again, wow, it looks great, but I don't expect things to work as well as everyone else seems to think they will.

It's got this feature of playing games while you download them. What a great feature, right? Using the cloud (or whatever Sony's calling it) to stream the video of a game running on a server to your console because your console doesn't have the game yet and it's still downloading, what a cool idea. But will anybody have fast enough internet to run it? I know most people in Australia, my country, won't. Will Sony actually have the infrastructure ready at launch to run and stream these games to your console fast enough as to not have lag? And, with so many people expecting the PS4 to run games in 4k (I'm pretty sure it won't, though), will your internet be fast enough not only for cloud gaming, but for cloud gaming in 4k WHILE downloading the game in the background. Remember, these games could be as much as 60 gig, too.

The above brings me onto the 4k thing. Do people really expect games to run in 4k? I know that many of you people on the Wii U forums have your head screwed on right and know that it won't, but you guys aren't the problem here, it's the gaming community in general that seem to think it will be able to do this. 3Dude might need to clarify this for me, but will it even be able to run more than perhaps a retro sidescroller in 4k? I know it'll be able to run videos in 4k, but with nothing else being possible on the hardware, it seems pretty wasteful to build in 4k capability if you can only watch videos in 4k and maybe go thought some menus.

Also, if the PS4 can do 4k in games (which I don't think it can), who actually has a 4k TV? Hell, I don't even have an HD TV hooked up to my Wii U. And is 4k even necessary? I've seen 100 inch 1080p TV's in stores and you STILL can't see many jaggies, on a TV that big. Unless in the next 8-10 years of the PS4's lifetime people suddenly make the jump to 4k 150-200 inch TV's I don't see the point of even allowing the PS4 to play videos and menus in 4k.

And last, but not least, will the games on the PS4 actually look better than those on the Xbox One and Wii U? They may look better than the Wii U by a slight margin, I suspect that it'll be the 360 vs PS3 all over again for Sony and Microsoft's consoles. Sure, the PS4 will probably have a bit more power, but will the devs actually use it?

Thanks for reading, post your comments if you agree, or if you think that I am a complete imbecile that obviously need to be whacked with a large rubber chicken.

tr;dr: PS4 streaming won't work that well, graphics won't be that good, 4k isn't gonna happen in games, nor is it needed.

Edited by R00bot, 17 July 2013 - 10:42 PM.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#2 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:37 PM

Continuing on to another feature that people seem to think is incredible, the Vita's remote play. This one's really cool, you can play your PS4 games on the go! Imagine playing Knack on the train! Cool! 

I'm not even sure if I understand this one right, your PS4 either streams the games into the cloud, and onto your PSVITA, or your VITA is able to play all the games on your PS4 automagically. I reckon it's the first one, but I don't think they've clarified so it could be the second one.

You can use your PSVITA as another controller to the PS4, but you can only play outside with PS3 games using the internet.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#3 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 17 July 2013 - 10:42 PM

You can use your PSVITA as another controller to the PS4, but you can only play outside with PS3 games using the internet.

Huh, thanks. I'll edit it.

bi5tzqg.gif

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:00 AM

It'll be able to do 4k by leveraging the cloud (gaikai) later on as the console gets older.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

It'll be able to do 4k by leveraging the cloud (gaikai) later on as the console gets older.

Maybe, but you'd need really fast internet for that, and that's something most Australians don't have.

bi5tzqg.gif

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:35 AM

Maybe, but you'd need really fast internet for that, and that's something most Australians don't have.

You'll be fine if they have aus servers.

I thought the issue you had was just the download, your upload is good, right?

And don't you have adsl2 and i assume decent cable going into the 100mbish range?

Probably the biggest issue with aus internet would be that your cables go into the ocean 9001 miles.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 02:39 AM

You'll be fine if they have aus servers.

I thought the issue you had was just the download, your upload is good, right?

And don't you have adsl2 and i assume decent cable going into the 100mbish range?

Probably the biggest issue with aus internet would be that your cables go into the ocean 9001 miles.

megabyte or megabit?

If it's megabyte, then my internet download ATM is about 0.1 megabytes per second, upload is a little less.

If it's megabit then it's 0.81 per second with 0.7 upload.

bi5tzqg.gif

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:10 AM

Internet speeds are measured in mebabits per second, downloads usually in megabytes.

Usually if you have 100 mbit you should get around 11 or 12 MB/s on downloads.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:43 AM

Internet speeds are measured in mebabits per second, downloads usually in megabytes.

Usually if you have 100 mbit you should get around 11 or 12 MB/s on downloads.

Yeaaaaaah, I don't even get one megabit per second.....

bi5tzqg.gif

#10 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:08 AM

Yeaaaaaah, I don't even get one megabit per second.....

Try downloading from http://mirror.eftel.com/ubuntu-dvd/ it's located inside Australia, so you'd be getting about the best speeds you can from your line.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#11 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:16 AM

Try downloading from http://mirror.eftel.com/ubuntu-dvd/ it's located inside Australia, so you'd be getting about the best speeds you can from your line.

I was using speedtest.net, using their Australian server, so wouldn't it be the same?

bi5tzqg.gif

#12 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:19 AM

I was using speedtest.net, using their Australian server, so wouldn't it be the same?

Depends.

My isp here has trouble with speedtest.net because they use weird routes, and don't often peer with the same people who provide servers to speedtest.net

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#13 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:42 AM

Will see on launch day, I have 120gb fibre jobbie and our PS3 takes hours to download a game....
Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

#14 IvyT

IvyT

Blooper

• Members
  • 155 posts
  • NNID:IvyTamwood
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:56 AM

Will see on launch day, I have 120gb fibre jobbie and our PS3 takes hours to download a game....

Yeah but that's more of a problem with the Sony servers than anyone's internet connection. I have a great internet connection too and it takes me hours too.

978478ba3d3649b2a57100410081a33a-d3aghdp

Now Playing: Super Mario Galaxy (Wii), The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)

NNID: IvyTamwood PSN: Regithiel

#15 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:12 AM

This isn't a hate thread, the PS4 actually looks really good.

Well, the PS4 was revealed a while ago, and I think it's time to look over the reveal without hype obscuring what it actually was like.

Lots of people saw the PS4 reveal and thought: "Wow, this system looks incredible!" and this was emphasised even further because the Xbox One reveal was, in many people's opinions, really horrible.

But now that Microsoft has gone back on many of the things that made people hate the Xbox One, people still hate it and think the PS4 will be astronomically better and it seems almost illogical to me, sure the Xbox One reveal was botched and the console still costs more money, and it might be used to spy on you, but other than that and a few smaller things, it's pretty much the same thing as the PS4. Except the PS4 has games I actually want to play in franchises I love.

Now, let's talk about the PS4 again, wow, it looks great, but I don't expect things to work as well as everyone else seems to think they will. It probably won't due to Murphy's law of "If anything can go wrong, it will go wrong"

It's got this feature of playing games while you download them. What a great feature, right? Using the cloud (or whatever Sony's calling it) to stream the video of a game running on a server to your console because your console doesn't have the game yet and it's still downloading, what a cool idea. But will anybody have fast enough internet to run it? I know most people in Australia, my country, won't. Will Sony actually have the infrastructure ready at launch to run and stream these games to your console fast enough as to not have lag? And, with so many people expecting the PS4 to run games in 4k (I'm pretty sure it won't, though), will your internet be fast enough not only for cloud gaming, but for cloud gaming in 4k WHILE downloading the game in the background. Remember, these games could be as much as 60 gig, too. Then wait for the game to finish downloading, or buy it physically. Not exactly a pressing dilemma. The exact same could be said for Xbox One.

The above brings me onto the 4k thing. Do people really expect games to run in 4k? I know that many of you people on the Wii U forums have your head screwed on right and know that it won't, but you guys aren't the problem here, it's the gaming community in general that seem to think it will be able to do this. 3Dude might need to clarify this for me, but will it even be able to run more than perhaps a retro sidescroller in 4k? I know it'll be able to run videos in 4k, but with nothing else being possible on the hardware, it seems pretty wasteful to build in 4k capability if you can only watch videos in 4k and maybe go thought some menus. It's already been confirmed that the PS4 cannot play games in 4K resolution. http://www.engadget....station-4-4ktv/

Also, if the PS4 can do 4k in games (which I don't think it can), who actually has a 4k TV? Hell, I don't even have an HD TV hooked up to my Wii U. And is 4k even necessary? I've seen 100 inch 1080p TV's in stores and you STILL can't see many jaggies, on a TV that big. Unless in the next 8-10 years of the PS4's lifetime people suddenly make the jump to 4k 150-200 inch TV's I don't see the point of even allowing the PS4 to play videos and menus in 4k. I...honestly don't think there's any room in our house for a 150-200 inch TV lol

And last, but not least, will the games on the PS4 actually look better than those on the Xbox One and Wii U? They may look better than the Wii U by a slight margin, I suspect that it'll be the 360 vs PS3 all over again for Sony and Microsoft's consoles. Sure, the PS4 will probably have a bit more power, but will the devs actually use it? It's probably going to be another Xbox/GCN/PS2 era with the PS4 = Xbox, Xbox Uno = GCN, and Wii U = PS2. But I don't buy a system for its power anyway, so...

Thanks for reading, post your comments if you agree, or if you think that I am a complete imbecile that obviously need to be whacked with a large rubber chicken.

tr;dr: PS4 streaming won't work that well, graphics won't be that good, 4k isn't gonna happen in games, nor is it needed. That's a lot to assume (minus the 4K games part) whenever the system isn't even out yet, and nothing about the online functions has been tested.

Answers in bold.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#16 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:14 AM

Don't hold your breath for that.

#17 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:57 AM

Don't hold your breath for that.

Why not?

microsoft are going to use their clouds from day 1.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#18 routerbad

routerbad

Lakitu

• Section Mods
  • 2,013 posts
  • NNID:routerbad
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Mario, Halo, Star Trek

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:03 AM

Why not?

microsoft are going to use their clouds from day 1.

Think about how much bandwidth (not just local bandwidth, but dedicated bandwidth from point to point) it would take to provide a 4k stream with lagless input response.  Most people can barely stream 1080p, and bluray streams are laggy even over home wireless networks.  It takes a buttwad of b/w to make that happen.  I don't even think gaikai will be decent quality for 720p or lower PS3 games, based on experience with several VDI technologies.

#19 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

the average 1080p stream is only around 2mB/s

Because they're in bad quality.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#20 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

huh? I download ps3 games at like 2 - 3 megs a second, doesn't take more than an hour for most games (under 10 gigs or so) and I don't have great internet at all.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PS4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!