Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

She said it was "too early" to draw conclusions from early stats, that suggest many gamers are taking full advantage of the game's library of free-to-play demos, and are not upgrading to full versions.

"To say developers can't make money on Ouya, I take offense to that," she said. "The console has only been out for a month, and developers have only had access to the hardware for about six months. We really like what we see so far, and so do developers and gamers."

http://www.polygon.c...t-to-buy-a-game

Well this thing is destined to fail. I see it being discontinued by next year, March 2014. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 08:25 AM

The free-to-try game service means that people shouldn't have to buy games to try them. The results don't surprise me, lol.

#3 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

Wait, this lady is saying that it's okay that barely ANYONE has spent any money on a game?

#4 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

This is a fantastic example of how market speculation can lead to a complete waste of venture capital (they received $15 million or so. Luckily this should be a rather small part of the firm's portfolio). How these games were not ad supported from day one is beyond me. Let me put it another way:

My business model involves 3rd parties, a platform that has already proven, with millions of examples, that there is a low conversion rate to sales. I conclude that my dependence on ports from this market without support from key players in this new market will be enough to change the conversion rate. I have effectively set myself, and my partners, up for failure. 

But wait, I have this 'rebel marketing' plan to sell customers. 

This is too funny. I think I should set up a Kickstarter to 'free our pizza', and offer to to giver all membership to the restaurant. I will force all of the pizza makers to give out 1 piece to each member, and no one has to buy anything after buying their $50.00 membership. Oh, and no limits, make the rounds once, and you can go again and again.

I know this is not a good comparison, but it illustrates the point.  A great idea plus horrific execution never works out. At least this lady got some press and the CEO title. Without drastic change, her shot in the business world is, well, shot. 

• Doc likes this

#5 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

lol, "real" gaming dying my a$$. I'm so glad this is going to burn in a very very small fire. (note: I wish the best for the employees of the company ^^)

#6 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:06 AM

I really don't think this is gonna work out.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#7 magiciandude

magiciandude

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 759 posts
  • NNID:magiciandude
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, PlayStation

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:10 AM

LOL Flop.

Of Nelson and Murdock. Avocados at law.

Attorney at day, vigilante by night. 

#8 Ninty64X

Ninty64X

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Fandom:
    MST3K, Animation, Metal Gear, OddWorld

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

This is becoming a train wreck. I doubt it'll last a year on the market.

On the hunt for her dad's killer, she learns she needs to step up her game. It's time to unleash some superpowers. - Netflix's amazing Kill La Kill description

#9 Zok

Zok

Spiny

• Members
  • 248 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

I think the Ouya would do fantastic if something like the Free-to-Play title Team Fortress 2 came along. Then this console that's heavily focused on free-to-try and play would make it.

But no, they just want to provide free stuff

#10 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 27 July 2013 - 10:46 AM

I'm lost.
I thought free to play was free to play.
Only paying for upgrades.
Also thought alot of free to play have ads and that's how they made there money
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#11 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'm lost.
I thought free to play was free to play.
Only paying for upgrades.
Also thought alot of free to play have ads and that's how they made there money

Not in Ouya land. They were counting on a demographic being ticked off at the way things are and then switching. Sounds good in theory until you realize that you are ditching the IPs you love for indie games available elsewhere (outside of a handful). 

I like the premise, but the business end was not really thought out. The model crumbles without a 'rebel' fanbase supporting it. In short, it is not mass market. The initial funding, and a hopeful snowballing after would be the goal with their strategy. 

Edited by Nintyfan86, 27 July 2013 - 11:30 AM.

#12 Alph

Alph

Koppai's Best

• Members
  • 1,246 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:44 AM

So, only 73% of Ouya customers haven't bought a game on the system? I wonder why.........

Hi, my name is Alph. I live on a planet named Koppai. I am famous for saving my planet from starvation. My best friends are Brittany and Captain Olimar, NOT Captain Charlie. I like surfing the KopNet and playing Kopetball.

#13 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:03 PM

And yet you'd be hard pressed to find a Nintendo fan that has not paid over $40 for games.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#14 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

This thing is pointless in my opinion, I can play these casual side-scrollers on my tablet (if I had one).

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#15 Desert Punk

Desert Punk

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 656 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:03 PM

There are a huge number of consoles with far better games at a fraction of the price. This just seems to be a console for hobbyist developers and its really a very limited market. No one in the right mind is going to buy one who isn't a small scale developer as the games are generally awful and don't even compete with old consoles like Dreamcast for example. If you ar a developer though what is the point without customers to sell games too? Some of the Ouya games are soo awful on a technical level, nothing more than high res versions of poor ps1 games sometimes. Incredibly limited by low cpu resources, weak polygon output, small scale developers and small game size. 

#16 Goodtwin

Goodtwin

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

The free-to-try game service means that people shouldn't have to buy games to try them. The results don't surprise me, lol.

Exactly, unfortunately for the majority of games developed, demo's will likely cause more people to pass on their game than to buy it.  Ouya was always going to be full of shovelware, a free demo probably ensures than most of them sell practically no units.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!