Photo

Nintendo takes story mode and cutscenes out of SSB4 (Petition time!)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:24 PM

Hey, remember Super Smash Bros. Brawl? Remember the Subspace Emissary adventure mode? Did you see the CG cutscenes? Well, thanks to spoilers, you won't have any of those in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U and 3DS.

In his bi-weekly column in Weekly FamitsuSuper Smash Bros. creator Masahiro Sakurai revealed some new details about the upcoming game. One major detail he covered was the exclusion of a story mode and CG cutscenes and his reasons behind it.

In the previous game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, the development team took advantage of the rare occasion of having multiple different series' characters all appear in the same game, so they painstakingly created a special story called the Subspace Emissary, complete with cutscenes for players to enjoy. It was a project that obviously took a lot of thought, time, and energy. And then, the obvious happened...

"Unfortunately, the movie scenes we worked hard to create were uploaded onto the internet." Sakurai lamented. "You can only truly wow a player the first time he sees [a cutscene]. I felt if players saw the cutscenes outside of the game, they would no longer serve as rewards for playing the game, so I've decided against having them."

Rather than letting a setback ruin things completely, Sakurai has focused on having video sequences that would instead potentially benefit by being spread around. This has led to the new character intro video sequences for the Villager, Mega Man, and the Wii Fit Trainer. Sakurai expressed a desire to make similar videos for all subsequent new characters.

While there will be no story mode, Sakurai assured that the 3DS version would include a feature that would "act as a separate mode from the standard versus play."

In terms of features that will be added instead of taken away, Sakurai revealed that the 3DS and Wii U versions would have different stages. The 3DS version will have more portable game-themed stages while the Wii U version will have more home console game-themed stages. Sakurai did not specify whether all the stages would be different.

Finally, Sakurai noted that there will be some form of character customizability in the game. This customization will alter character performance, though in what way is still unclear. Sakurai is also considering a way to allow players to use customizations from their 3DS versions in their Wii U versions of the game.

Sadly, there was not enough space in Sakurai's column to allow him to talk about online play. Another topic for another time, I guess.

Petition: https://www.change.o...mash-bros-games

Article: http://kotaku.com/th...dium=Socialflow

We can't have Nintendo getting butthurt and screwing us over on content. No matter if you were a huge subspace fan or not this is a dumb move. Make this petition viral and share it with your friends!

Signature_DK.png

#2 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:27 PM

POPULAR

Tbh honest I didn't like subspace that much and would rather they focus on other more important aspects of the game.

So sorry but I won't be sharing this nor will I be signing.

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#3 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

How about an animated prequel movie instead of a story mode.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#4 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:30 PM

Being honest, Subspace is something that next to no one mentions about Brawl, but the moment when someone mentions that it's not being included, people go nuts. Brawl is a party fighter. A story mode would be nice, but it's not something to write a petition for, especially since nearly none of these petitions work with Nintendo.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#5 AndyG

AndyG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 610 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Monster Hunter, Super Meat Boy

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:37 PM

I would love to see at least a few CG cutscenes but i don't really care otherwise. As long as it's fun and refreshing than i will be happy.

Posted Image

This is where it ends

#6 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:48 PM

I liked subspace emissary but to do all of the animation it would push the game back by a couple of months and when I weigh which I would want more the game coming out earlier or subspace emissary mode I choose it coming out earlier and this doesn't mean there won't be a single player mode it mean it just won't be animated like subspace emissary it will probably be more like melee's adventure mode which I prefer to emissary anyways so I win in this situation getting the mode I want along with it coming out earlier with no delays plus if theres enough fan outcry after the game comes out they can just do dlc 

#7 Viridi

Viridi

Goddess of Nature

• Members
  • 85 posts
  • Fandom:
    Metroid

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:51 PM

POPULAR

These online petitions for every little thing really need to stop, but anyway...

The CG cutscenes were nice, but if they detract from development time that could be used for other assets in the game then I'd rather them out altogether. Adventure mode was just fine in Melee.

5pjF3yM.png?1?7338

"Nice shot if I do say so myself! Good riddance, human scum! The world's better off without you!"

#8 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

A petition would probably do nothing as they have plans and if they want to release it next year, which they need to, would eat up time.

2lvmghw.png

#9 Fiery

Fiery

Wingus

• Members
  • 917 posts
  • NNID:Fieryguns

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

This is kinda pointless as the story mode takes up development time which could be utilized for the combat. Also, you usually only play the story mode once or twice and a story mode would take up a lot of budget and extend development.

Edited by Reggie Fils-Aime, 28 July 2013 - 06:40 PM.

#10 Big Boss

Big Boss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:14 PM

Petitions werk.

#11 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:17 PM

POPULAR

The story mode was nothing but awful platforming and dull boring combat...

It shall not be missed

Edited by Mitch13pavel, 28 July 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#12 BnB

BnB

Shoto Killer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Fandom:
    Fighting Game Junkie

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

Hopefully they add something else to compensate for the lack of "CG CUTSCENES".

Their reasoning for taking subspace emissary out is dumb to me.

tumblr_mr2nvhlPCe1s1terdo1_500_zpsc92fde

PSN: Kallusiive // NNIDEX_NewEra

#13 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:01 PM

Did the lack of cutscenes  in Super Smash Bros 64 and Melee drive you to start up a petition? I thought we were paying for the fighting content, not to watch a movie. 

Edited by Y2Kev, 28 July 2013 - 07:01 PM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#14 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:09 PM

How about no.  If Sakurai has gotten Smash Bros right for 3 games, what makes you think that he suddenly doesn't know what he's doing?

#15 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:20 PM

Subspace emissary sucks and I think that it is barely memorable and it'd be a wiser move if they didn't send money and time for something that is barely important and not really needed. This is my opinion by the way. Balanced cast>pointless "story mode" any day.

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

#16 BnB

BnB

Shoto Killer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Fandom:
    Fighting Game Junkie

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:22 PM

Did the lack of cutscenes  in Super Smash Bros 64 and Melee drive you to start up a petition? I thought we were paying for the fighting content, not to watch a movie. 

I honestly don't care...

but that doesn't take away from the fact that his excuse for taking them out is lame.

#17 White Trite Chronicles

White Trite Chronicles

Freelance Police

• Members
  • 301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Just give me a fun fighting experience and better netcode and I'll be happy. Don't need some stupid story mode bogging the game down.

ecmB6v9.gif

PSN ID: TranceKujo. 

#18 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

I honestly don't care...

but that doesn't take away from the fact that his excuse for taking them out is lame.

They were more of an eyesore and just plain bad. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#19 BnB

BnB

Shoto Killer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Fandom:
    Fighting Game Junkie

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

They were more of an eyesore and just plain bad. 

Better.

#20 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:27 PM

I didn't much care for SSE. I mean, I didn't hate it, but considering how I felt the rest of the game suffered, I don't need it. And I don't want time wasted spent on it for SSB4.

This game already has enough going against it (from what Sakurai has said), I don't want anything more.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!