Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:55 PM

Um, I'm not sure where to put it but I guess its related to games so I'll go with that.

Ive been thinking about managing my money when I came home from work and my mom gasped the fact that I bought Pikmin 3, and Tales of Xillia Collector's Edition in roughly under $200 and I still have my savings, and then someone got me thinking about the topic last night. (Blake) What do you do while trying to manage your money? Here's my questions:

1. What do you purchase on day 1?
  2. What do you do when you're on the fence on a game you think you would or would not enjoy.
  3. What do you normally skip on release?

I buy major 1st party Nintendo games on release, buy 1st party Rated M Sony games (I really don't enjoy Sony kid games) big 3rd party RPG games that are loved by a lot of reviewers, Sonic games, Tales games, Capcom fighting games. Sometimes Ubisoft games.

I always have these kinds of moments, like next week Mario & Luigi Dream team comes out and I really don't know if I'll enjoy it or not, so is Rayman Legends, and Hatsune Miku Project Diva F are roughly close, I think it through and I just tell myself 'It'll be there for a good 3 months.' (If its games like Xenoblade well then you're boned.)

I skip shooters that are destined to fail, like Fuse, Bullestorm, all these other shovel wear. Heavily underrated games nobody talks about or even cares like Remember Me and Lost Planet 3.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#2 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:11 PM

1. Any good game which i have the money for, "good" is implying games which got a good review score AND i am interested in it. (although i never seem to have the money for a day 1 purchase) 

2. I would wait until i see the reviews, internet reactions etc and think about stuff like "would I keep the game or sell it after I play it, replay value?".

3. Any game I'm not interested in (mostly generic FPS games (although bioshock is a exception) and anything that looks very pooly made). Also games made by EA.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#3 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 01:35 PM

I only buy games on day 1 if I know they will be good.  The only games I am preordering on amazon will be Sonic, Windwaker HD, and Rayman Legends.

If I'm not sure, I skip that game until I hear good things about it.  If I can get it at a cheap price on amazon or steam, I will probably think about getting it (likely months and months after release).  I'm not a big gamer, but I do like good games.

#4 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:21 PM

I'll buy a game day 1 if it's a franchise I enjoy, a game I think I'd enjoy based on the gameplay footage I've seen, etc.

The tricky part comes in paying for it all, but it seems that no matter what happens, I always wind up having just enough to get my preordered games on day one.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#5 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

I will buy a game from a franchise I like day 1. 

When I'm on a fence about a game I'll tell myself just to wait it out. But usually a few of my friends buy the game at launch and then I say  "forget this rainbow, I'm buying this game now."

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#6 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 06 August 2013 - 03:13 PM

get gamefly it may sound expensive but overtime it is well worth the money because of the amount of games you will rent from it ,like instead of buying animal crossing I rented it for like a month sent it back and got shin megami(which is IMO the best game on 3ds I LOVE IT). I was on the fence about Monster Hunter for WiiU so I rented it on Gamefly, and usually now the only games that I buy are games that I know I will constantly play for more than a year like GTA which is a day one purchase for me, and I'm on the fence on Saints row so I'll rent it and for games that are really expensive like Xenoblade I just rented it instead of buying it for like $100. 

#7 GreenPenInk

GreenPenInk

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

I have a credit card so Wii patience.  I never need real money anymore.  That's for suckers. 

zeldasig.jpg

#8 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:38 PM

I opened a line of credit specifically for my hobbies, including gaming.  :wacko:

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#9 BnB

BnB

Shoto Killer

• Members
  • 282 posts
  • Fandom:
    Fighting Game Junkie

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

I opened a line of credit specifically for my hobbies, including gaming.  :wacko:

Wow, actually sounds like a really good idea.
Especially for someone whose looking to rebuild their credit.

tumblr_mr2nvhlPCe1s1terdo1_500_zpsc92fde

PSN: Kallusiive // NNIDEX_NewEra

#10 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 04:58 PM

Well, I plan out my purchases, and rule out the games I don't want or don't have the money for.

#11 GreenPenInk

GreenPenInk

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 103 posts
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:25 PM

Dangerous! But must be oh so satisfying.

zeldasig.jpg

#12 Mitch

Mitch

Dingus

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • NNID:Mitch13pavel
  • Fandom:
    Mitch :3

Posted 06 August 2013 - 07:36 PM

1. If the game is something that I know will be top notch quality that also has the content to justify the cost of the full retail price (such as Zelda, Guild Wars 2, Mario platformers, Mario Kart, Smash bros. ect.) then I will purchase it day one.

However if it is top quality but lacks the content to justify the full price (Pikmin 3) then I will wait until I find it on sale

2.  If I am on the fence about a game I normally just go buy the dang game instead and tell myself that I shouldn't deprive myself of a gaming experience** :P  But in the event that I overcome my impulse buy I will just tell myself that it will be onsale eventually and I can go get it then 

**WARNING: Tending to just impulse buy instead of following the thought process of it will be on sale eventually will result in a hefty backlog

3. Games I normally skip on release are any game that I feel Steam will completely destroy in the steam sale 6 months after launch (Anything by Square Enix :P)

#13 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:09 PM

If it's a franchise I like I'll buy it shortly after it hits stores. Or when I have money in the budget, whichever comes first.

(my budget method is: if I have money, and I have some left over after upcoming expenses, then I have money for games)

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#14 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:28 AM

I think my answers will be skewed because I have such a huge backlog I wait for almost everything to go on sale nowadays. I make exceptions for familiar franchises that have almost no chance of me regretting, or if I get the console day 1 then I usually buy at least one or two games. It's also easier to wait for games to drop in price if they're less social based. Animal Crossing in particular would be a little less fun if I weren't able to talk about it and visit other towns.

Posted Image

#15 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

Good post- and raises somewhat of a conundrum.  We bought the Wii U for Nintendo titles, but at the same time want 3rd part titles too.  If Rayman, Sonic, X and Bayonetta are good, I might get them before any pure nintendo plays... or at least two.... 

#16 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:43 PM

I dont manage it, I buy what I want when I want. I suppose the perks of having a pretty decent job. But when I was younger I would write out a list and just elimate down to the ones I really wanted to play and then wait until the others dropped in price.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#17 Aplg8

Aplg8

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:48 PM

Games don't really make an impact on my budget so I buy if I want on day 1.  That being said I realize how much time I actually have to game so I tend to have a larger backlog.  I had a backlog on my 360 even when I bought my WII U and the 360 hasn't been turned on since.  I bought 5 or 6 games when I bought the WII U a month ago.  So now it's difficult for me to justify a day 1 purchase, mostly becuase the titles have not appealed  to me that much (and general lack of) and they would take over games I'm working on.   So now I wait though I will buy the Mario Kart and Mario 3d game 1st day.  That Zelda game does nothing for me as it's a bit dissappointing that it's just a remake of a gamecube game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!