Photo

How do you feel about the Wii U gamepad?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Julio93

Julio93

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,564 posts
  • NNID:Julio93
  • Fandom:
    All Nintendo & Capcom franchises.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 06:54 PM

The main controller for the Wii U, many of my friends and youtubers who I am subscribed to HAAAAAAATE the gamepad, they like the system but the controller isn't a controller for gaming in their eyes. I personally have mixed feelings with it, I keep thinking it should have been a separate thing like the rumored PS4 + Vita bundle, having a choice to use off TV play with your kids or something, not the main controller, the only thing I like about it is the off TV play and art academy, everything else just doesn't seem right with the controller, like playing action games or fighting games. Also Nintendo's developers don't utilize the gamepad in any unique way, Smash Bros isn't doing anything gimmicky with it like Brawl, X is definitely not using anything unique with it, they'll probably bundle the game with Wii U pro controllers like Xenoblade. Its a 50/50 for me it just bugs me that this gamegear looking controller is their main controller.

kingdom-hearts-3-final-fantasy-15-slice.

#2 AdmiralClassy

AdmiralClassy

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 807 posts
  • NNID:AdmiralClassy
  • Fandom:
    Dragon ball Z, Nintendo, One Piece

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:03 PM

I don't mind it.
I like the way it's more like an actual controller than the wii remote.

But I would prefer they innovate a bit more than just a screen, if you're gonna attempt something different go all the way with it.

Shing Shong For Smash 4!

Honk For Ponk!

NNid AdmiralClassy
Psn AdmiralClassy

Steam AdmiralClassy

#3 Chrop

Chrop

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,291 posts
  • NNID:ChropUk
  • Fandom:
    Starfox, Legend of Zelda, Mario,

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:04 PM

POPULAR

I get to play console games in bed...

I get to watch netflix on the toilet on very disruptive days...

I get to read miiverse while getting a tan in the garden...

I get to use the Wii U without a single TV in a house...

every argument against the gamepad is invalid.

lhKtSmX.png?2 Well, I've finally found my Starfox, and I love it.

#4 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

I like it certain situations but I would rather the WiiU be bundled with a pro controller and take off $100 from the thing

#5 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:14 PM

I use it. It's fun when properly planned for, and can be slightly annoying when a developer just shoves things onto it willy knilly.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#6 Ecorsbie

Ecorsbie

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:54 PM

I too actually like the gamepad.  I think developers are going to start to see its potential.  I also think that Nintendo will come out with new games that will utilize the gamepad's function.  It will just take time.  The Wii took some time for developers from both nintendo and third party to finally realize the ability. 

#7 itsdavebaby

itsdavebaby

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:
    Futurama

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:16 PM

I get to play console games in bed...

I get to watch netflix on the toilet on very disruptive days...

I get to read miiverse while getting a tan in the garden...

I get to use the Wii U without a single TV in a house...

every argument against the gamepad is invalid.

Everything stated above. Plus if you don't really like the feel just grab a pro controller. I play Black Ops with the pad and I really don't see the issue.

#8 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:39 PM

My question with the game pad is why even have it? Why would I want to play on a small screen when I have my 60" hd tv right in front of me? I would really want Nintendo to prove me wrong here but it seems like even they dont know how to implement it in a game outside of maps, inventory systems. I see the potential here but no one is doing it so to me its a controller with a screen on it.

Still there are positives on it but not enough to warrant praise from all corners. I like being able to browse online and miiverse is brilliance waiting to happen. I have hope that Nintendo will nail the gamepad in particular Metriod I can definitely see that game utilizing the pad perfectly.

Edited by LinkKennedy, 13 August 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:41 PM

POPULAR

It's the best controller I've ever used.

Change scares idiots.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:12 PM

My question with the game pad is why even have it? Why would I want to play on a small screen when I have my 60" hd tv right in front of me? I would really want Nintendo to prove me wrong here but it seems like even they dont know how to implement it in a game outside of maps, inventory systems. I see the potential here but no one is doing it so to me its a controller with a screen on it.

Still there are positives on it but not enough to warrant praise from all corners. I like being able to browse online and miiverse is brilliance waiting to happen. I have hope that Nintendo will nail the gamepad in particular Metriod I can definitely see that game utilizing the pad perfectly.

Have you played Lego City: undercover? Or how about the Batman game? the dark one, not the lego one.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#11 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:17 PM

btw, in brawl, the wiimote's motion control was barely used. Oh and pretty much no one uses it. (the motion controls)

I like the gamepad because i'm so lazy to plug it into a tv and it feels like a pretty good controller, in my opinion. it's very comfortable and the buttons are well arranged. the controller itself looks a bit weird when you first see/use it.

Wouldn't call it my favourite, that would go to the gamecube controller.

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

#12 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 02:05 AM

Love the gamepad.

My favorite controller of any console now.

Your hands to exactly where they should and its comfortable and ergonomic.
And it looks dang cool.

The only trouble I've had with the gamepad is the battery life.

If apple can put a betters in a MacBook Air that makes it run for 12 hours doing waaaay more than the gamepad does, it stands to reason that battery tech for the gamepad is available to allow an 8-10 hour usage time.

The analog sticks, dpad, buttons, triggers, and screen all work very nicely.

Nintendo did right when they made this controller.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 14 August 2013 - 02:07 AM.

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:02 AM

I too actually like the gamepad.  I think developers are going to start to see its potential.  I also think that Nintendo will come out with new games that will utilize the gamepad's function.  It will just take time.  The Wii took some time for developers from both nintendo and third party to finally realize the ability.

The wii never realized its ability. There were 2 games from the entire library, that were not minigame collections that began to realize the wiimotes potential. And they both came out at the back end of the consoles life.

Anyways, I actually use the gamepad a lot.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:56 AM

I think the Wiimote (+nunchuk) was such a great controller, that they should have started with that and evolved it further instead. It's great for such differently controlled games as Metroid prime, Red Steel 2, No More Heroes and Pikmin. Sure, the gamepad is nice, but it's a step back in my opinon. And a quite expensive one at that, money that could have been used to lower the price of the console (or put in some more juice if they would have wanted that - raw power is certainly a sales argument when it comes to consoles).

So: It's a great controller, but... there were better options.

#15 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:49 AM

Have you played Lego City: undercover? Or how about the Batman game? the dark one, not the lego one.

Zombiu used it good to.

#16 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

It's the best controller I've ever used.

Change scares idiots.

exactly it feels to me like a normal controller. it sad all the excuses ive heard from developers on how to use the gamepad. nintendo gave them a give me for great support. its all excuses and just a reason to not support Nintendo. playing pikmin at bed at 3 in the morning or letting my daughter watch disney will i get some pikmin or w101 in is  PRICELESS!

#17 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:07 PM

The wii never realized its ability. There were 2 games from the entire library, that were not minigame collections that began to realize the wiimotes potential. And they both came out at the back end of the consoles life.

Anyways, I actually use the gamepad a lot.

I'm guessing that by the 2 games thing, one of them was The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, but what was the other one? I'd like to know so I can possibly add it to my collection :P

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#18 Colinx

Colinx

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,301 posts
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing & SeaWorld

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

I feel its a little big, I think they could have kept the concept and made it a bit smaller. But it is still pretty comfy. My only real complaint with the layout is that the shoulder buttons are too far away from the triggers.

2lvmghw.png

#19 stevenk

stevenk

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • NNID:stevenke1
  • Fandom:
    pokemon cod mario zelda metroid

Posted 16 August 2013 - 05:54 AM

i personly love the gamepad

#20 Aplg8

Aplg8

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:03 AM

Like gamepad but would have preferred it had a better battery life and felt a bit more sturdy.

I must say I'm still struggling to get use to my pro controller when the battery dies on the gamepad. Compared to the Xbox controller it's very light and the analog to button distance is different than the game pad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!