• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:13 AM

Intel i5 3.4GHz quad core

8GB ram

1 TB hard drive

Windows 7 64 bit

GTX 660 or 760.

Trying to build a system that will run games on high for the next 3/4 years.

Edited by Leon1989, 17 August 2013 - 03:14 AM.

#2 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:41 AM

AMD-8350 or alternatively, i5 Haswell. 

Crucial Ballistix 8GB (4x2 or 8x1 if you wanna budget out) or AMD's branded gaming RAM. 

500GB Deskstar Hard Drive or any brand of your pick.

128 GB Samsung SSD (For the OS).

Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit or Windows 8 Pro 64.

ASUS DVD-R/W or DVD-R/W+BluRay (optional if you go mostly digital. I for one, prefer discs.)

ASUS WiFi Adapter (optional if you can't have any wires)

Haswell Socket Motherboard or AM3+ (?) Motherboard. 

600+ Watt Power Supply (forgive me, I forgot the decent brands)

For the Video Card, there are a plethora of choices. The GeForce 760 is shaping up to be the next 560 in terms of bang for buck. The ATI Radeon 7870 will keep you on par with the PS4 for cheap. The 7950/70 aren't too shabby either. I would still choose the 760 though.

Forgive me for any errors I made. English isn't my first language and I haven't been updated that well since I haven't read PC Mag for a few months. 

With this build, I think you may be able to surpass the PS4 by sheer power. The "Jaguar" cores inside the PS4 are simply low-end notebook and x86 tablet processors that are optimized to a certain extent. Although 8-core, the power level is still not up there compared to the i series and the AM3+ (?) processors. 

Edited by Stromdeath, 17 August 2013 - 03:45 AM.

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#3 SoldMyWiiU

SoldMyWiiU

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:50 AM

I was orginaly going to go with AMD but everyone I have spoken to says avoid it for gaming.

#4 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:02 AM

Funny. Everyone I've talked with says AMD for gaming, Intel for everything else.

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#5 stevenk

stevenk

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • NNID:stevenke1
  • Fandom:
    pokemon cod mario zelda metroid

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:06 AM

go with amd its made for gaming its really good but it gets hot

#6 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:02 AM

Get more RAM.
I'd say no less than 16GB for games coming up. More would be better though.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#7 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:56 AM

Get more RAM.
I'd say no less than 16GB for games coming up. More would be better though.

I would say 8 is pretty good. I haven't seen a game that needs more than 6, but more is always better. Anything above 16 is overkill though.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#8 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

I would say 8 is pretty good. I haven't seen a game that needs more than 6, but more is always better. Anything above 16 is overkill though.

She wants to run them on high.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#9 Ixchel

Ixchel

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

This site may help.

Posted Image

#10 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Id say use nvidia+ intel or all AMD those combos tend to work better. Also are building a full pc? Or just the tower?

8 gigs will work fine, update to 16 in a few years, most games dont use over 4 on max. I got a 660 ti(inbetween 660 and 670, also stronger than 760) that cpu should do good i7 is good but often overkill. I had to cut back on my first build specs because i needed to buy everything for my pc, wifi, monitor, speakers, ect. Second and later you can reuse those parts.

660ti is ruuffly 50% faster than 660 and it runs everything i played so far on max, framerate is stable for me, i only care if it falls below 15-10 were it brings me out of the game, most run between 20 and 100 depending on the game on max(20 was with 16qxaa on ultra everything)

Also use 650watt and dont do my dum mistake plug into a wall not a powerstrip,

Edited by tboss, 17 August 2013 - 09:03 AM.

#11 Occult Satanist

Occult Satanist

Tenzō of the Wood Release

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

what type of hard drive? you don't want one that runs on 5200rpm also get the Nvidia 770 

wjapt2.jpg

#12 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

I have a 660ti in my computer with an i7, 8 gb of ram,and intel SSD. works great, super fast and runs every game I have on ultra.

#13 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

Why Haswell? It's barely better than Ivy Bridge which is barely better than Sandy Bridge. But yeah I persoanlly believe Intel is better unless you will be overclocking or depending on built-in graphics.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#14 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:41 PM

you want it to run all the newest games on high for the next four years?!!!

http://www.nvidia.co...n-graphics-card

look my friend, upon the lord your God!!!!

#15 Ruuffur

Ruuffur

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:37 PM

This may be a bit shameless but I'll ask here for my build as well.
I'm not much on other forums so dunno where else to ask.
I'm new to PC gaming and I have made a list of parts I'm buying.
What I need to know is if everything will work together,

because I think I'll be happy with the performance of this rig if things are compatible. :)

Parts:

Intel Core i7-3770 Processor
Corsair H110 Hydro Series CPU cooler
MSI Z77 MPower, Socket-1155
Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16GB
Gainward GeForce GTX 770 2GB PhysX CUDA
Seagate Barracuda® 3TB
Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower
Corsair CX 500W PSU
ASUS Xonar DX

If things work together I'm open for suggestions regarding small tweaks to performance, but nothing more expensive than this.

Thank you all in advance, hopefully some help I get will help out the OP as well :)

#16 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 05:40 AM

Ruff, that motherboard and cpu may not be compatable, the cpu may have a different # of pins than the motherboard. Go to pcpartpicker.com(i cant put actual link from my phone) it will tell you if its compatable, both should end in a 5 or 0 as for the power id bunp it to 600w. I7 right now is future poofing for long term and for intensive aplications, usualy not gamming, you can still use it but if u need to cut, drop that to i5. The fan would be usefull if the pc gets cramped/bad airflow on heavy applications that need i7, stock works fine for gamming, for heaver applications use the fan, if you pc had terrable airflow then get it anyway, dont forget a heatsink jell if you buy that fan(assuming it dousnt come with it)

Does you case come with built in fans with good airflow? Are u overclocking the cpu, those should tell you if youneed a non stock cpu cooler

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM
Thats a example of a heatsink/ thermal compound, would draw the heat so your fan can get rid of it

Edited by tboss, 18 August 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#17 Ruuffur

Ruuffur

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:59 AM

Ruff, that motherboard and cpu may not be compatable, the cpu may have a different # of pins than the motherboard. Go to pcpartpicker.com(i cant put actual link from my phone) it will tell you if its compatable, both should end in a 5 or 0 as for the power id bunp it to 600w. I7 right now is future poofing for long term and for intensive aplications, usualy not gamming, you can still use it but if u need to cut, drop that to i5. The fan would be usefull if the pc gets cramped/bad airflow on heavy applications that need i7, stock works fine for gamming, for heaver applications use the fan, if you pc had terrable airflow then get it anyway, dont forget a heatsink jell if you buy that fan(assuming it dousnt come with it)

Does you case come with built in fans with good airflow? Are u overclocking the cpu, those should tell you if youneed a non stock cpu cooler

Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM
Thats a example of a heatsink/ thermal compound, would draw the heat so your fan can get rid of it

Thanks I'll definitely check if they're compatible :D at first I didn't understand half of what you said as I'm not that tech savy XD but I'm getting a hang of this PC gaming business :) Think I learned a thing or two from your post, thank you very much again for the help :D :D :D

#18 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 12:19 PM

One thing about pcpartpicker, its good to find compatable parts, thats it, desighn flaws, overheating, pcpicker. Wont tell you. Like a power pack should be capple of at least 50% more power. Also read the nooby guide to the actual construction, and the manuel, most is self explanitory, but some things arnt, my first pc made be rage because the it was plugged into a power strip that couldnt give enough, went to a friend to find out it worked fine.

#19 JoonKimDMD

JoonKimDMD

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:46 PM

Never get a regular HDD. Those are for noobs. Get SSD.

And I highly recommend intel over AMD.

#20 Ruuffur

Ruuffur

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 10:27 PM

Never get a regular HDD. Those are for noobs. Get SSD.

And I highly recommend intel over AMD.

But SSD is always so small on space and expansive.. I do plan to get one though to have programs on, and use the HDD for games. 

Tboss, the parts were compatible at a least :D so I'll go on a head and order the parts, hoping it'll work fine ^^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!