• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 01 September 2013 - 03:58 PM

Nintendo TVii for Europe maybe?

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#62 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 01 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Don't worry, we'll probably get it in 2017. Probably.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#63 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 01 September 2013 - 11:07 PM

Nintendo TVii for Europe maybe?

I doubt it, TVii is all cloud-based, anyway. It wouldn't need to come with the Summer/fall update, no update would be required at all.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#64 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 September 2013 - 08:52 AM

I doubt it, TVii is all cloud-based, anyway. It wouldn't need to come with the Summer/fall update, no update would be required at all.

Most of it is cloud-based, but you still need to have the base code on every Wii U.

Posted Image

#65 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:05 AM

Most of it is cloud-based, but you still need to have the base code on every Wii U.

It's a website.
There was no update for the US Wii U's when it launched either.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#66 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:35 AM

It's a website.
There was no update for the US Wii U's when it launched either.

There was.

Version 2.1.0, which was 593 MB in size, launched on December 4 to prepare the system for Nintendo TVii.

Nintendo TVii launched on December 20 when everything was ready on their web/cloud side of things.

Edited by Arkhandar, 02 September 2013 - 11:35 AM.

Posted Image

#67 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:02 PM

There was.

Version 2.1.0, which was 593 MB in size, launched on December 4 to prepare the system for Nintendo TVii.
Nintendo TVii launched on December 20 when everything was ready on their web/cloud side of things.

Which was also released in every other region, not bringing any tvii with it.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#68 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Maybe its locked until Nintendo activates the servers to public use.

Posted Image

#69 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:44 PM

Confirming no update required.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#70 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, I guess you're pretty much right :D

Posted Image

#71 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

Yeah, I guess you're pretty much right :D

There was.

Yeah, basically what I was saying. :)

bi5tzqg.gif

#72 Uldkraemmeren

Uldkraemmeren

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

The average read speed for USB 2.0 disc drive drive is about 28 MB/s and the Wii U's disc drive is 22.5 MB/S. I don't think loading times would be substantially dropped with this setting. Xbox 360 is a different case because its HDD is connected through SATA, not USB 2.0.

I really doubt that, as the top speed for USB 2.0 is 480mb/s.

#73 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:53 AM

I really doubt that, as the top speed for USB 2.0 is 480mb/s.

USB 2.0 clock speed is 480 megabits per second. That's 60 megabytes per second. Given the protocol overhead and the fact that USB 2.0 is half-duplex, the maximum data rate will be 30-40 megabytes per second at best. The 480 megabits per second limit applies to the USB controller and is shared between the ports attached to it. The number of USB controllers per motherboard will vary, but we know that the Wii U has two, which would roughly give us 25-30 megabytes per second, ceteris paribus. 

Edited by Arkhandar, 03 September 2013 - 08:54 AM.

Posted Image

#74 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

USB 2.0 clock speed is 480 megabits per second. That's 60 megabytes per second. Given the protocol overhead and the fact that USB 2.0 is half-duplex, the maximum data rate will be 30-40 megabytes per second at best. The 480 megabits per second limit applies to the USB controller and is shared between the ports attached to it. The number of USB controllers per motherboard will vary, but we know that the Wii U has two, which would roughly give us 25-30 megabytes per second, ceteris paribus. 

Someone should make a USB attachment for USB 3.0 that splits the data through more than one USB 2.0 port to double (or triple, or quadriple) the speed of the USB 2.0 ports.

bi5tzqg.gif

#75 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:18 PM

Someone should make a USB attachment for USB 3.0 that splits the data through more than one USB 2.0 port to double (or triple, or quadriple) the speed of the USB 2.0 ports.

You'd need to open up the console, and also install new drivers into it to do that.
It'd be easier to exchange the usb 2 controllers for 3, and add the drivers too.

Either way, not probable.

If a Wii U game disc is being read at 22 MB/s ...
and a USB drive containing the same game is on a USB hard drive ...
Why would half duplex matter?
Is my Wii U re-writing my Discs all the time?! OH MY GOOOODDDDDDD

Edited by Nollog, 03 September 2013 - 04:20 PM.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#76 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:24 PM

If a Wii U game disc is being read at 22 MB/s ...
and a USB drive containing the same game is on a USB hard drive ...
Why would half duplex matter?
Is my Wii U re-writing my Discs all the time?! OH MY GOOOODDDDDDD

Either way, on average, USB HDD have a 30 MB/s read spead, while SATA II gives 60 MB/s.

30 to 22.5 MB/s is too close to even bother to install the game in the first place.

Posted Image

#77 namkotje

namkotje

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

So about that summer/fall update... still no news... :o

Why Nintendo?!

Edited by namkotje, 22 September 2013 - 07:52 AM.

needsthisfinal2_zps12b5fb7d.gif

#78 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:25 AM

So about that summer/fall update... still no news... :o

Why Nintendo?!

Nope, we're still in the dark. Knowing Nintendo as well as we do, it will probably be delayed again.

Posted Image

#79 Uldkraemmeren

Uldkraemmeren

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 03:26 AM

Either way, on average, USB HDD have a 30 MB/s read spead, while SATA II gives 60 MB/s.

30 to 22.5 MB/s is too close to even bother to install the game in the first place.

I would say a 33 % increase in speed is well worth it, considering the other benefits it brings, like less noise and not having to change discs. 

In a game like ZombiU which has horrible loading times it is pretty significant.

Edited by Uldkraemmeren, 23 September 2013 - 03:27 AM.

#80 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 07:26 AM

The average read speed for USB 2.0 disc drive drive is about 28 MB/s and the Wii U's disc drive is 22.5 MB/S. I don't think loading times would be substantially dropped with this setting. Xbox 360 is a different case because its HDD is connected through SATA, not USB 2.0.

However, by all accounts it seems that the speed the Xbox 360/PS3 read from their HDDs is very similar to USB 2.0.  I haven't found a single game which loads any slower from a good USB 2.0 memory stick than the Xbox 360 HDD, in fact some load faster due to the lower latency.

On PS3 this is thought to be due to real-time encryption of the data (why it takes 24 hours to backup a 500GB HDD to a USB 2.0 HDD when it should take about 6 hours), not sure what is the cause on Xbox 360.

So overall, all three consoles have poor load speed compared to Xbox One (which has SATA 2) or PS4 (probably the same).  Especially when you consider that being based on PC hardware and offloading a lot of stuff onto dedicated hardware, these consoles should actually be able to actually reach proper SATA 2 speeds (up to 358 MB/s) unlike the previous consoles which were well short of SATA speed (179 MB/s).  Although only with an SSD will you actually get near either of those numbers and I doubt they will bother to properly support SSDs due to the cost/size ratio still being prohibitive.

I fear the Wii U will always be the weakest console for load speed, because it doesn't have a HDD cache like the PS360.  Its also already been demonstrated that Wii U games running off an external HDD aren't really much faster than from disc, sometimes are actually slower.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 23 September 2013 - 07:56 AM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii U, Summer, Update, Fall, System update

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!