Photo

Amazing marketing idea for Wii U to fight off Next Gen this holiday and beyond

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Foot

Foot

The most badass sociopath to ever exist.

• Members
  • 1,038 posts
  • NNID:DPapcinEVO
  • Fandom:
    Sock Wars, Shoehorn Leghorn

Posted 05 September 2013 - 02:53 PM

Online Multiplayer

Xbox Live- $59.99 per year
PSN- $49.99 per year
Nintendo Network- Free per year :3

Next gen has switched to subscription based online multiplayer, Nintendo still remains free. That can attract more core gamers, despite how lacking their online infrastructure still is.

Just one of the aspects that Nintendo should focus on considering this opportunity.
I am the foot. I do not like you. You smother me with socks and shoes, then step on me thousands of times a day.

We foot will rebel one day.

#2 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:16 PM

You're forgetting that PSN (or PS Plus as it's actually called) also gives you a ton of discounts/free games each year.

But whatever, that's kinda catchy...ish. It's a marketing point, at least.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#3 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Maybe.

Most people won't be able to wrap their head around that you CAN play online games on the Wii U. There's also the issue of third parties making half-assed ports for the thing. The lack of DLC on BLOPS2 is a deal breaker for most CoD players.

That being said, Nintendo should capitalize on it. It's a major advantage the Wii U has, no doubt.

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

You're forgetting that PSN (or PS Plus as it's actually called) also gives you a ton of discounts/subsidised games each year.

But whatever, that's kinda catchy...ish. It's a marketing point, at least.

Indeed.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:12 PM

Pssh why should Nintendo have to tell people about the Wii U? They should already know about it!   :laugh:

#NintendoLogic

Edited by Koopaman the Dovahkiin, 05 September 2013 - 06:13 PM.

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#6 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:03 PM

Yeah Nintendo has a long ways to go to catch up to Xbox live and Sonys PSplus. Still I think miiverse has huge and I mean huge potential to explode and make the WiiUs online a real solid online experience.

#7 itsdavebaby

itsdavebaby

Blooper

• Members
  • 191 posts
  • Fandom:
    Futurama

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

They'll be fine. Nintendo has already begun: 

1st the price drop with the limited edition zelda bundle

2nd the lineup of games to come are going to be pretty steady starting now (Rayma Legends, until about 2014. We'll see what's planned from there on out)

3rd more limited edition 3DS's and a new "child friendly" 2ds which also got a price drop (with games like Mario kart 8 and smash bros, it'll be good to see what becomes of that)

Edited by itsdavebaby, 05 September 2013 - 07:14 PM.

#8 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:40 PM

Doesnt matter if its free if the online sucks it sucks and so far my wii u online experience has been pretty bad not PS3 bad but preeeetty bad

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 05 September 2013 - 07:46 PM

Yeah Nintendo has a long ways to go to catch up to Xbox live and Sonys PSplus. Still I think miiverse has huge and I mean huge potential to explode and make the WiiUs online a real solid online experience.

Doesnt matter if its free if the online sucks it sucks and so far my wii u online experience has been pretty bad not PS3 bad but preeeetty bad

I've played xbox live and psn and wii u online, they're the same experience to me.
there's fewer people on wii u since it's got 96% less people, but the quality of servers and such is the same.
It surprised me since xbox live costs money.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 nintendofreak247

nintendofreak247

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario Bros.

Posted 05 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Nintendo needs to go back to the days when they made commercials like this:

Posted Image

#11 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:45 PM

Nintendo doesn't need any marketing advice, they know exactly what they are doing. You have to remember that they have been in this business for 30 years.

#12 Klobb

Klobb

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi and Durant

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:55 PM

Nintendo doesn't need any marketing advice, they know exactly what they are doing. You have to remember that they have been in this business for 30 years.

Are you sure? Plenty of people still think the Wii U is a Wii add-on. Kind of pathetic, but it wouldn't be a problem if Nintendo marketed their console better.

If you think Smogon ban stuff

"Just because they can't beat it"

You clearly don't play OU

You clearly have no knowledge of the metagame

And you clearly don't deserve to have an opinion.

#13 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 05 September 2013 - 10:59 PM

Are you sure? Plenty of people still think the Wii U is a Wii add-on. Kind of pathetic, but it wouldn't be a problem if Nintendo marketed their console better.

I'm not saying they haven't made any mistakes, I'm saying they know what they need to do to get the Wii U back on it's feet just like they did with the 3DS. Even experienced companies make mistakes.

Edited by Hunter, 05 September 2013 - 10:59 PM.

#14 Klobb

Klobb

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi and Durant

Posted 05 September 2013 - 11:02 PM

I'm not saying they haven't made any mistakes, I'm saying they know what they need to do to get the Wii U back on it's feet just like they did with the 3DS. Even experienced companies make mistakes.

Fair enough.

If you think Smogon ban stuff

"Just because they can't beat it"

You clearly don't play OU

You clearly have no knowledge of the metagame

And you clearly don't deserve to have an opinion.

#15 kokkeman

kokkeman

Spiked Goomba

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 12:24 AM

Misstakes? If i didnt know any better i would fhink they outcast their own offspring. They actually said that they wont make the same misstake as 3ds. They did worse !! They neglected the Wii U. The had a year to market it and grow a large installbase and they sat and did nothing. No adds no commercials no hypes no defense to downtalk wiiu got, nothing. And here i am, checking wii u news every day, still hoping Nintendo make a jawdropping announcement. I love my wii u. I wish N gave it the attention any offspring deserves.

#16 Charlymike101

Charlymike101

Goomba

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 03:12 AM

I love Nintendo, I think they're here to stay and they will make the gaming experience jaw dropping, and I'm sure it's coming soon.

#17 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 06 September 2013 - 07:52 AM

If i`m not mistaken, the games offered on both services are games that have been out for some time now.

Nintendo could do better!

Subscribe and get:

A discount on online games (even Indie games);

GBA/GC/Saturn/Dreamcast games one month (or more time) in advance;

Retail games in advance (2 weeks or more).

That way you are luring not just those who have bought a Wii U recently, but all those who are interested in VC games and downloading titles.

#18 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 10:32 PM

First off, paying $50 a year isn't really anything. If you can't pay that you probably shouldn't be buying video games. People pay $1200 a year for their "smart phones" but cringe at $50. Very funny actually.

Also Nintendo cannot fight off these next gen systems. They are about to get run over by a freight train. PS4 will be in more homes then Wii U in under 6 months.

But guess what? Nintendo does not care. All they care about is selling enough systems to sell the 1st party games in the millions. They know we will buy them.

They do not care if your Wii U can play GTA or whatever. They want to sell 10 million Mario Karts. End of story. Put a fork in any dreams of strong third party support. That is done.

Buy a PS4/Xbox one of you want the third party stuff. The Wii U is for jumping up and down in overalls.

#19 JaylisJayP

JaylisJayP

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:47 AM

It wouldn't do anything.  Gamers are already completely cultured not to care about nintento's online network at all because of how irrelevant it is compared to the other 2.

First off, paying $50 a year isn't really anything. If you can't pay that you probably shouldn't be buying video games. People pay $1200 a year for their "smart phones" but cringe at $50. Very funny actually.

Also Nintendo cannot fight off these next gen systems. They are about to get run over by a freight train. PS4 will be in more homes then Wii U in under 6 months.

But guess what? Nintendo does not care. All they care about is selling enough systems to sell the 1st party games in the millions. They know we will buy them.

They do not care if your Wii U can play GTA or whatever. They want to sell 10 million Mario Karts. End of story. Put a fork in any dreams of strong third party support. That is done.

Buy a PS4/Xbox one of you want the third party stuff. The Wii U is for jumping up and down in overalls.

Here's the thing also with your Nintendo first-party games logic...they can only sell as many games are there are systems.  You don't think they know this?  If people aren't buying systems, there won't be enough people to buy those Mario games.  They might sell a million, but they won't sell 10 million. 

Hell I have stuck with Wii U since launch and even I wouldn't dump $50 or $60 on a first-party game with the real next-gen systems coming out (of which I am getting both).  I'd rather put my money toward those and wait until a B2G1 at Gamestop or something for 1st party Nintendo titles.

Edited by JaylisJayP, 07 September 2013 - 03:47 AM.

#20 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:45 AM

Oh cool, Nintendo are going to sell another 6 million consoles by spring according to you?
But you say P4 and x1 will sell more than 10 million in 5 months?
Can't wait to see you proven wrong.

$50 is more than 0, simple maths right there.
Their level of service is utter rainbow compared with the PC, if the two wannabe PC's want to play catch up on the PC they should start with not closing their online service and making them as cheap(in the sense that the servers are rainbow, and the services they offer are rainbow, and are being charged for access to) and rainbow as they have been.

Edited by Nollog, 07 September 2013 - 04:47 AM.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!