Photo

Why do all the new members leave after a while?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:43 AM

From my short stay here in WUF, my observation is that new members leave after the first few days or don't post after they register. 1 out of 10 become regular posters here. I dunno why but it kinda bothers me.

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#2 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:37 AM

I've noticed that there are forum members who make a big fuss over something they disagree with and maybe that's putting people off, maybe they're just afraid to share their opinion.

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:59 AM

Nothing interests them long enough to stay and contribute.
That's usually what it is.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

It's kinda weird that the most online on WUF was 700+ compared to PSNProflies 365 but PSNProfiles is still active. I think it's mostly due to the stale activity. We probably need to make this place more user interactive.  

Edited by Ben Affleck, 07 September 2013 - 05:25 AM.

#5 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:47 AM

It's a lot of work contributing to a forum.

It really isn't, but it does take effort to reply to posts and make threads. Either that, or there's just not enough enticing things that happen here to stay.

Happens to all forums, really.

#6 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:18 AM

Because most of the threads recently have been nothing but news articles, questions, and complaints.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#7 Xiombarg

Xiombarg

[Sample Text]

• Administrators
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:56 AM

It has happened to all the forums I have been on, except forums like MLP, which just are a cluster of nonsense without much structure...

#8 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:57 AM

They just forget to check it often enough.

You've really got to get into a habit of checking it every now and then if you don't want to forget about something like this.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#9 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

Because nobody posts topics except me. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#10 Sage

Sage

Chronicler

• Members
  • 752 posts
  • NNID:ViralLight
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda, Splatushi

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

It's very common actually as has been stated. I have been on many forums and after awhile you notice that it's only a dedicated core of the members that actually post. It's that small dedicated core that keeps the forums going. I've seen some big forums dye because the core dwindled. Forums require actual thought in your posting unlike Facebook (or if it's a forum that doesn't give a crap) where you can post whatever you want with no quality control or filtering. People also seem to rather just talk in the comment sections on blog or news site articles than go through the commitment of joining a dedicated forum.

#11 CFCrusader

CFCrusader

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:07 AM

Ehh, I forget about lots of forums when I start to prefer one or two. I'll come over sporadically and post, but seeing as how I'm still in the phase of dreaming about getting a Wii U, I have other forum priorities.

#12 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

Because our milkshakes aren't bringing them to the yard.

#13 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

It's kinda weird that the most online on WUF was 700+ compared to PSNProflies 365 but PSNProfiles is still active. I think it's mostly due to the stale activity. We probably need to make this place more user interactive.  

Any suggestions?

Signature_DK.png

#14 Blasty

Blasty

Spiny

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waaay to many to list.

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:12 PM

It's because the forum could be better.

Posted Image

#15 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:47 PM

Any suggestions?

Chatroom (But heavy moderated this time), Link to desktop games (Like Mofunzone), Overhaul design(Something cleaner and more presentable. I have no problem with the forums look but others may have different opinions.), Members need to be more realistic and not fanboy at certain things(This applies to everyone including me  :ph34r: ) , Spreading the word around other websites and a game directory of the current Wii U games with gamer's feedback(maybe).

One thing I think which would have brought people in is Trophies/Achievements or Accomplishment.

#16 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 07 September 2013 - 03:59 PM

Maybe there's a mod for the forum's recent threads list that makes it so you need more than 1 post or have to be a member for a day before your thread shows up in the list, so the spam bots don't scare people off.
I know if I'm on a forum's page and see a list of recent threads filled with obvious spam bot thread titles, I'll think it's super-inactive.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#17 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

It has happened to all the forums I have been on, except forums like MLP, which just are a cluster of nonsense without much structure...

I have to agree. A couple sites I visited had basically died because no one posted there (one did have a revival but it's minor) and a third is getting pretty slow, holding on solely due to emotionally charged arguments.

it seem that forums are becoming unpopular to newer people, and with less interest in older forums that don't have much content.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#18 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:30 PM

Chatroom (But heavy moderated this time), Link to desktop games (Like Mofunzone), Overhaul design(Something cleaner and more presentable. I have no problem with the forums look but others may have different opinions.), Members need to be more realistic and not fanboy at certain things(This applies to everyone including me  :ph34r: ) , Spreading the word around other websites and a game directory of the current Wii U games with gamer's feedback(maybe).

One thing I think which would have brought people in is Trophies/Achievements or Accomplishment.

They should make you admin. Great idea.

I have to agree. A couple sites I visited had basically died because no one posted there (one did have a revival but it's minor) and a third is getting pretty slow, holding on solely due to emotionally charged arguments.

it seem that forums are becoming unpopular to newer people, and with less interest in older forums that don't have much content.

We need a mass recruitment after we get crap straightened out.

Signature_DK.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!