Photo

UnchainedGoku has a serious loss of value problem!

Wii U Depreciate Pokemon X and Y UnchainedGoku GAME CEX Trade In

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:01 AM

Hi guys UnchainedGoku here! Nice to see you all again! I just thought I'd pop back to share quite a major frustration. Well I was going to sell my Wii U today, I know I'm naughty but I just haven't been playing it much and I've never missed a GTA game before and with GTA V coming soon I thought that I would pick up a second hand PS3 and a few games Including GTA V boy was I In for a shock MY WII U IS LITERALLY WORTHLESS!!!! Here let me explain, in the UK we have two shops well the only two near me anyway and they are called GAME and CEX (Computer EXchange) in both places I was gonna sell Assassin's Creed 3, Batman Arkham City Armored Edition, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Darksiders 2, Sonic And All Stars Racing Transformed and My Premium 32GB Wii U ZombiU Bundle. Guess how much............................. ok I'll spill, £157 in GAME and £150 in CEX!!!!!!!!! What are you kidding me! I paid over £500 for all of this less than a year ago! I got more than this for my Slim Xbox and that was nearly 2 years old!!!!!!!! My ZombiU Wii U Premium 32GB was only worth £100 - £101 I paid £350 for it! I HAVE NEVER EVER EVER seen a console depreciate and lose it's value so quick I can't even get half my money back. You know what the funny thing is though? I get £157 for all my stuff and the cheapest second hand PS3 is £149!!!!!!! And it's not like I can just take my money elsewhere either that £157 was for trade in value not cash, cash was even less! Well that's it MY WII U IS LITERALLY F***ING WORTHLESS!!! I am literally shocked, anyway guy's I'll be answering tho this thread only, I'll be back fully for a few weeks around the Pokemon X and Y launch. What are you're opinions on this amazingly obsurd situation, even cars don't depreciate this quick!

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:09 AM

don't trade the games.
Just trade the console, then use the games to pre-order gta.

game should be doing the trade in 3 games from a list get gta5 for £1 deal.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:11 AM

That's why I keep all my games, etc. they don't give you near what there worth once it's opened. Heck I still have most of my nes games. Can't wait for x-y will be using my 3ds a bunch soon.

Edited by dark_rabbid, 13 September 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#4 TheUltimateWaddleDee

TheUltimateWaddleDee

That Guy

• Members
  • 2,077 posts
  • NNID:UltimateWaddleD
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Metal Gear, and WADDLE DEE!

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:12 AM

Usually I would say that's what game retailers will do to you, but that's actually ridiculous. If you still want to sell it (please don't cause I'm getting one soon and I want you as my friend), go for eBay.

KtOSpy7.jpg
I will not die until I achieve something. Even though the ordeal is high, I never give in. Therefore, I die with no regrets~Ikaruga Prologue
http://fc05.devianta...ask-d5k49sd.jpg

#5 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:16 AM

Like WaddleDee said, this is just the game retail market and also why I never trade anything in. 90% of the time, it's not worthwhile.

I also wouldn't sell the Wii U right now given that a lot of the games worth having are coming out relatively soon.

If you're hell-bent on selling it though, just sell it on Craigslist/eBay. You'll get way more monies out of it.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#6 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:21 AM

The one thing that I'm trying to get at though guys is the fact that yes game retailers rip you off but never this much just look how much value it's lost, surly this is unusual, as I've been saying I've never seen a console or any other product to be fair depreciate so much.

#7 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:26 AM

just sell it on Craigslist/eBay. You'll get way more monies out of it.

Yeah I would sell it on ebay, i saw bundles with only the console and 2 games going for about £150-£200 so you would definitely get a bit more on there.

The only thing is that it may take a few weeks to get the price you want depending on your starting bid or buy it now price.

But yeah I'm shocked at how much the value has depreciated. I guess even used Wii Us aren't selling very well.

Edited by Hunter, 13 September 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#8 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:30 AM

The one thing that I'm trying to get at though guys is the fact that yes game retailers rip you off but never this much just look how much value it's lost, surly this is unusual, as I've been saying I've never seen a console or any other product to be fair depreciate so much.

Well, there's a lot of things that go into that.

The console isn't selling well, so that makes the retailer want to pay less.

The games you had aren't worth much more than $20 a piece, save for MonHunTriG, so the retailers can probably only give you $7-9ish store credit each for them.

And the Wii U also got a price cut.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#9 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:35 AM

Just wait for the PC port, Pete.

Hi guys UnchainedGoku here! Nice to see you all again! I just thought I'd pop back to share quite a major frustration. Well I was going to sell my Wii U today, I know I'm naughty but I just haven't been playing it much and I've never missed a GTA game before and with GTA V coming soon I thought that I would pick up a second hand PS3 and a few games Including GTA V boy was I In for a shock MY WII U IS LITERALLY WORTHLESS!!!! Here let me explain, in the UK we have two shops well the only two near me anyway and they are called GAME and CEX (Computer EXchange) in both places I was gonna sell Assassin's Creed 3, Batman Arkham City Armored Edition, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Darksiders 2, Sonic And All Stars Racing Transformed and My Premium 32GB Wii U ZombiU Bundle. Guess how much............................. ok I'll spill, £157 in GAME and £150 in CEX!!!!!!!!! What are you kidding me! I paid over £500 for all of this less than a year ago! I got more than this for my Slim Xbox and that was nearly 2 years old!!!!!!!! My ZombiU Wii U Premium 32GB was only worth £100 - £101 I paid £350 for it! I HAVE NEVER EVER EVER seen a console depreciate and lose it's value so quick I can't even get half my money back. You know what the funny thing is though? I get £157 for all my stuff and the cheapest second hand PS3 is £149!!!!!!! And it's not like I can just take my money elsewhere either that £157 was for trade in value not cash, cash was even less! Well that's it MY WII U IS LITERALLY F***ING WORTHLESS!!! I am literally shocked, anyway guy's I'll be answering tho this thread only, I'll be back fully for a few weeks around the Pokemon X and Y launch. What are you're opinions on this amazingly obsurd situation, even cars don't depreciate this quick!

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#10 SoldMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Pokémon Trainer

• Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:42 AM

Just wait for the PC port, Pete.

I wish I could but my computer is broken and it's nowhere near powerful enough to play the latest games.

Yeah I would sell it on ebay, i saw bundles with only the console and 2 games going for about £150-£200 so you would definitely get a bit more on there.

The only thing is that it may take a few weeks to get the price you want depending on your starting bid or buy it now price.

But yeah I'm shocked at how much the value has depreciated. I guess even used Wii Us aren't selling very well.

To be fair I might just keep my Wii U now, I really do not think it's worth selling now, I'm not prepared to take that much of a hit to my pocket as a matter of fact I don't think any sane person is.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 08:47 AM

Ha, I could sell my sealed copy of xenoblade on ebay for more than that!

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:02 AM

I'd say your better off keepin it and just slowly save in for it. One thing about that game I'm sure it'll be around a while. Plus lots of stuff for the u is about to launch. Deffinetly agree though, trading games is worse than used cars.

#13 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 12:05 PM

Wow, that sucks. I just got $150 for my 250gb 360 at Gamestop.

I did have a 50% bonus coupon 8). $266 worth of trade in was upped to $400.

Point is sometimes you need to wait for deals.

Now just do the currency exchange rate 8).

Edited by Dharmanator, 13 September 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#14 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 02:37 PM

The problem is that with the very limited selection of Wii U games almost everyone who bought one got ZombiU and so its lost a lot of value.  Although its kinda weird that CEX value Nintendo Land higher than ZombiU.

Most places seem to be selling the 32GB model for £250 now and CEX wisely sell it for £200 (rather than the silly thing they did in the past of selling for the same price).

It is crazy its lost so much value, but there have been so few games it makes sense that a lot of people have sold theirs on so the second hand market is pretty saturated with them right now.  Hopefully that will change once Mario Kart 8 comes out.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#15 alan123

alan123

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 889 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 03:11 PM

nobody wants to buy a WiiU because there are no games for it that's why, why would people spend £200+ on a WiiU when the PS4 & X1 is out in a few weeks, i was going to sell my WiiU a few months ago but didn't bother as i knew i wouldn't get any money back for it, just take the hit & put it down to experience & use it as a lesson, i'll never ever buy a Nintendo console again in the first year, if at all.

#16 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

Sounds like typical game retailers, buy a game for $80aud and trade it back in less than a month later for like $30, just the way it works.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#17 Tom

Tom

The Unicorn

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • NNID:IAmTom
  • Fandom:
    Animal Crossing

Posted 13 September 2013 - 06:34 PM

One time GameStop wanted me to pay them to get rid of a game.

"I'M NOT BEING PESSIMISTIC, I'M BEING REALISTIC." - EVERY PESSIMIST EVER.

#18 Goom

Goom

The Happyman Thief

• Members
  • 930 posts
  • NNID:SpikedGoomba
  • Fandom:
    pingas

Posted 13 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

Story time! When I was young, 5 years ago to be exact. I sold GS my pokemon Diamond and Platinum for a grand total of..... $8! They then placed a nice $29.99 pre owned price tag on it. The moral of the story is never sell your old video games. 

Posted Image

I am the hero this forum needs, but not the one it deserves.

#19 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 September 2013 - 10:12 PM

One time GameStop wanted me to pay them to get rid of a game.

Haha. That happened to me once. Wish i remembered the game. Guitar hero for the ds or something.

Edited by Dharmanator, 13 September 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#20 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 14 September 2013 - 09:34 AM

nobody wants to buy a WiiU because there are no games for it that's why, why would people spend £200+ on a WiiU when the PS4 & X1 is out in a few weeks, i was going to sell my WiiU a few months ago but didn't bother as i knew i wouldn't get any money back for it, just take the hit & put it down to experience & use it as a lesson, i'll never ever buy a Nintendo console again in the first year, if at all.

Nobody wants to buy a Wii U because people don't believe in the value proposition that Nintendo gave to the consumer.

The PS4 and Xbox One will also have a limited library of games available at launch, with most of them becoming available on last generation systems too. The difference here is that the consumer believes that the value of these systems, with more games coming in the near future. The Wii U on the other hand, no matter how you price it at, will be viewed as an anemic system to the consumer.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wii U, Depreciate, Pokemon X and Y, UnchainedGoku, GAME, CEX, Trade In

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!