Photo

What type of storage media will Wii 2 games come on?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: What type of storage media will Wii 2 games come on? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

What type of storage media will Wii 2 games come on?

1. DVD's (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

2. HD-DVD's (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Blu-ray discs (10 votes [66.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

4. Holographic discs (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

5. Cartridges (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

6. Other (please explain in your post) (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 25 April 2011 - 04:35 PM

Here's a question that will probably spawn some interesting discussion. Nintendo have told us that retail games aren't going anywhere, so it's safe to assume that we'll be buying our Wii 2 games in stores just like we're used to.

However, what exactly will we be buying? In the poll, I've included the most obvious options.

Personally, I'm ruling out holographic discs because they're simply too expensive and unnecessarily large for the current generation. Some earlier joint patents between Nintendo and InPhase suggested that they're working on something in that direction, but it's probably for the Wii 3.

DVD's are probably out, too - 8.5 GB simply isn't enough for many developers. Wii games usually fit nicely into 4.7 GB discs, but that's only because developers don't need to include highly detailed textures and models in them. By comparison, I've heard many complaints about developers trying to squeeze Xbox 360 games designed for HD into DVD's, with some games being forced to use multiple discs.

This leaves us with three more options. Blu-ray and HD-DVD are, for all intents and purposes, equal for a gaming application. They both offer around 50 GB of capacity, and could be licensed out by Nintendo for use in the Wii 2. Between those two, I think Nintendo's more likely to choose HD-DVD, simply because it would probably be cheaper to license an abandoned technology like it. Then again, if they go with Blu-ray, Nintendo would be able to add a Blu-ray player to the system, which would increase its value significantly.

Lastly, we've got good ol' cartridges. Their most significant advantages over discs are their lack of loading times, and their general robustness - carts don't exactly stop working if they get scratched. Modern cartridges also do not share the capacity issue with older ones - electronic memory has advanced to the point where they are able to produce a 2-terabyte SD card. It seems like the way to go, but I've got doubts about how much cartridges cost to manufacture, whereas discs can easily be stamped by the million for a relatively low price. Again, perhaps the return of cartridges is something we'll see in the Wii's successor's successor, but I'm ruling it out for now.

With all that said, I'm placing my money on Blu-ray, simply because it would make sense to include a Blu-ray player in a console that will be marketed as a truly next-generation HD device.

#2 Wertville

Wertville

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Fandom:
    Umineko, Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime

Posted 25 April 2011 - 05:27 PM

My answer completely depends on one thing... What is the Holographic scanner backwards compatible with? If its only DVDs, then I'm going with HD-DVD... But if it could potentially read HD-DVD or blu-ray as well... I'm going to bet that they'll make the console compatible with Holodisks but not make them mandatory.

That way the new Harvest Moon game can launch on HD-DVD without having to lose a huge amount per disk sold, while Smash Bros. Barfight can have 200+ characters and levels, with over 9000 trophies and a 100 hour adventure mode... Without taking half an hour to load.

Ya, I'm probably either wrong or dreaming, but I could see Nintendo doing this. It would give them a HUUUGE edge next-gen if they had 20x the storage space of a blu-ray, while taking less than half the time to load. And you have to admit, Holographic anything would be a huge selling point :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

Character's I am a fanboy of:
Spoiler

3DS Game List:
Spoiler

#3 Guest

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Okami, Metroid, Mega Man X

Posted 25 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

Cartridges. I just happen to like them :P

I don't know how high the manufacturing costs are, but Nintendo already used/uses cartridges for the DS and the 3DS, and they have been using them for all consoles until the GameCube, which had some kind of small DVD's. They gotta have some experience with cartridges.

I'm not sure, but aren't holographic discs completely different from usual ones? I once read something about them and I remember that the viewing angle is also very important... but I'm no expert concerning these things.

Posted Image

#4 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:09 AM

If Nintendo uses cartridges, they might as well forget about getting better third party support.

Edited by Play4Fun, 26 April 2011 - 03:09 AM.

You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#5 Guest

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, Okami, Metroid, Mega Man X

Posted 26 April 2011 - 03:29 AM

If Nintendo uses cartridges, they might as well forget about getting better third party support.

True. The last time they did that, they lost Square. But back then, everybody (besides Ninty) thought that CDs/DVDs are the storage media of the future. If Stream's/Café's cartridges are good enough and the manufacturing costs low enough, there's the possibility that third party support won't cease as it did for the N64.

Posted Image

#6 CaptainFalco311

CaptainFalco311

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Fandom:
    Earthbound/Mother, Metroid, Zelda

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:12 PM

Other. As always, Ninty will make some weird proprietary format because they'd never use a Sony-endorsed and Sony-pioneered format.

#7 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:21 PM

I expect Nintendo will use discs over cartridges, although I don't know what type of disc they would use. I don't know much about the different types of discs, but Blu-ray seems likely.

I wouldn't mind cartridges, as long as they aren't too big. I don't want half a cartridge sticking out of a shiny Wii 2.

#8 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

I expect Nintendo will use discs over cartridges, although I don't know what type of disc they would use. I don't know much about the different types of discs, but Blu-ray seems likely.

I wouldn't mind cartridges, as long as they aren't too big. I don't want half a cartridge sticking out of a shiny Wii 2.

broken cartridge.jpg
Well, I wouldn't want half a cartridge sticking out of it, either. It wouldn't work. :P

#9 Elric

Elric

The Golden Wizard

• Section Mods
  • 1,599 posts
  • Fandom:
    John mayer, Umineko

Posted 26 April 2011 - 04:37 PM

Bluray disc, because hopefully the wii 2 can play blu ray movies along with it. It would only make sense that they came on a blu ray disc.

OkamiSignature_zps2bbbe0da.png

fox.gif

#10 Play4Fun

Play4Fun

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Fandom:
    legend of Zelda

Posted 26 April 2011 - 05:31 PM

Bluray disc, because hopefully the wii 2 can play blu ray movies along with it. It would only make sense that they came on a blu ray disc.

Does it need to play movies when they'll have Netflix though?
We know how Nintendo are with these things.
You know what guys?
It's amazing how the the human mind does not process the the fact I used the word "the" twice in a row in this sentence.

#11 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:15 PM

As great as Netflix is, its library leaves something to be desired (especially up here in Canada), and the quality will never match that of a good Blu-ray. I remember being literally disgusted when I tried watching an "HD" Netflix movie, actually.

#12 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 26 April 2011 - 07:54 PM

As great as Netflix is, its library leaves something to be desired (especially up here in Canada), and the quality will never match that of a good Blu-ray. I remember being literally disgusted when I tried watching an "HD" Netflix movie, actually.

I can agree about Lackluster Netflix in Canada.

OT: I can see it going with Bluray or even Cartidges.

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#13 Waller

Waller

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nothing

Posted 30 April 2011 - 10:15 AM

Is Netflix available to the whole world? I don't think so, Netflix is available to Canada and the USA, but what about Mexican people like me?

ezgif_com_gif_maker.gif

#14 0003mg

0003mg

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 78 posts
  • Fandom:
    Way too many to list

Posted 30 April 2011 - 11:30 AM

I think it will be on Double Layer DVDs like on the Xbox 360 because I don't know if Nintendo would want to pay the Blu-Ray group (which is led by Sony) the money for the license to have a Blu-Ray player. HD-DVD has been dead for a couple years so I highly doubt that they will use that.

Edited by 0003mg, 30 April 2011 - 11:31 AM.

#15 Turbo Tails 8027

Turbo Tails 8027

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Fandom:
    Sonic, racing games and Yoshi

Posted 30 April 2011 - 01:39 PM

broken cartridge.jpg
Well, I wouldn't want half a cartridge sticking out of it, either. It wouldn't work. :P

Well, to be honest, I can see a reason to carts with a bit out. If Nintendo creates a two-part game cart, even ONE, they can have WIDESPREAD opportunities, much like Sonic and Knuckles did for SEGA. *Dalanalanalanalanaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa*
Posted Image
Image by MLDragoMaster, with text from AudiYoshi on YAF

#16 Shane74340

Shane74340

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:51 PM

I think it will be on Double Layer DVDs like on the Xbox 360 because I don't know if Nintendo would want to pay the Blu-Ray group (which is led by Sony) the money for the license to have a Blu-Ray player. HD-DVD has been dead for a couple years so I highly doubt that they will use that.

You kidding me? I think Nintendo would jump HD-DVD because it's "dead". The reason? It will be so cheap to license.

I think that's why Nintendo stuck with carts, instead of going with discs, with N64; licensing costs.

#17 Ostro

Ostro

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Fandom:
    Dreamcast, Shmups

Posted 18 May 2011 - 02:23 AM

I'd love cartridges ... they could simply use flash cards. 16GB or something, not that expensive anymore and as small as your fingertip.
But backwards compatibility wouldn't work ^^

Edited by Ostro, 18 May 2011 - 02:24 AM.

#18 Feld0

Feld0

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 09:52 AM

You kidding me? I think Nintendo would jump HD-DVD because it's "dead". The reason? It will be so cheap to license.

I think that's why Nintendo stuck with carts, instead of going with discs, with N64; licensing costs.

Actually, the reason Nintendo stuck with carts with the N64 was because they wanted to avoid the lengthy loading times CD's had at the time. Try playing the average PlayStation game, and you'll notice the many loading screens. Then try a Nintendo 64 game, and you'll see how quickly and smoothly you can go from level to level.

I'd love cartridges ... they could simply use flash cards. 16GB or something, not that expensive anymore and as small as your fingertip.
But backwards compatibility wouldn't work ^^

On the other hand...what if Nintendo wants an excuse to sell Wii and GameCube games on the Virtual Console?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!