#1 Kirby

Kirby

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:
    Minecraft Nintendo

Posted 07 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Well I was reading some of the comments on some fake, stupid, site about the reasons why the Wii U will fail (http://nintendo.abou...U-Will-Fail.htm) I saw this comment and I want to know what you guys think of it.

Get the facts please....

The Wii has sold 97 million units worldwide. That places it as the 5th best-selling console of all time. The PS3 has sold 70.2 million and the 360 70 million. There is no way, shape, or form that the Wii was a failure to any line of reason, common sense, or fact. Sony CEO Kaz Harai has already stated than the PS4 will not be much more powerful than the PS3. Sony cannot afford to make a system much more powerful than the Wii U because they are losing billions of dollars in every single division they have. In fact, right now Nintendo actually has a higher market cap than Sony (Nintendo 15 billion, Sony 11 billion.) The dev kit for the PS4 have already gone out to developers and based on the information that has come back they are only slightly more powerful than the dev kits for the Wii U. Its not all doom and gloom for Sony as a I mentioned earlier the PS3 is now at 70.2 million and it has leapfrogged the 360 in total system sales. Consider all the success Microsoft has had the past two years that is a good sign for Sony. I'm sure a lot of these bundles have help kick up PS3 sales. Just for the record I would like to explain that having the most powerful system NEVER WORKS in a console battle. Every console that has won a console war has either been weaker or the weakest of the bunch. The most powerful have always LOST. Least powerful or close to least powerful Atari 2600 NES SNES PS1 PS2 Wii all won their console race. SG 1000 Atari 7800 NEO GEO N64 PS3 all lost or are losing their console race. Had the Dreamcast no been so easy to hack and had a DVD player it probably would have won it's console war too. However because it was easy to mod and it did lack DVD, the next system up the ran away with it which was the PS2. It had a year start and even though the GameCube and XBOX were more powerful, their total system sales of around 35 million don't come anywhere close to the sales of the PS2 which are 154 million as the best-selling console of all time. So unless the 720 and PS4 offering something the the CASUAL consumer will want that the Wii U doesn't offer, it's going to be an uphill battle for those two systems. The core audience is smaller than people think. The reason why the 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, and PS2, and Wii won their battle is because the casual market got behind them. The Atari 2600 was a household name. Everyone had one. Then the NES took that to a higher level. The SNES didn't do as well as the NES but because it was the best deal for a 16bit system at the time it beat out the Genesis, TurboGrapx and NEO-GEO. The PlayStation came out just around the time CDs became really popular and gave casuals a nice CD player/video game system. With Sony known for their quality sound, it was a no brainer. Then the PlayStation 2 came around when DVD players were still quite expensive. Again, it gave casuals a inexpensive DVD player/CD player/video game system. With the Wii, it introduced motion-control to the causal market. With it being as inexpensive as it was compared to the $499 and $599 360 and PS3, it became an "and" rather than an "or." In addition to the casuals flocking to go buy it, core gamers either had a Wii and 360, a Wii and PS3, or all three. So, based on history the Wii U has a bright future ahead of it. I'm not happy about the storage limitations myself, but it is far from a deal breaker. I don't need to be convinced about the power because their already sufficient evidence to draw a intelligent conclusion on that. People still asking questions at this point either are trolls or idiots. A GPGPU (with a custom CPU based on the Power7 architecture, and a ATI E6760 GPU running Direct X 11 and on-board memory,) plus, 2GB of system RAM is enough specs for me. The graphics shown for the Zelda HD and Japanese Garden Tech demo (which were both confirmed to not only have been whipped together in 3 weeks, but only used 10% of the systems power) was enough for me to see what this system is capable of doing. Competition makes gaming more exciting and fulfilling for all of us. I WANT Microsoft and Sony to come out swinging with their next-gen consoles. That'll force Nintendo to up the ante, which will force THEM to up the ante, etc, etc. Wishing for a company to 'lose' is pretty selfish and stupid. People are going to hate Nintendo no matter what they do. I say to everyone hear whom has a brain to just sit back, and enjoy the ride.

Edited by Kirby, 08 October 2013 - 10:22 AM.

kirby_a_GIFSoupcom.gif

#2 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

POPULAR

WALL_OF_TEXT.jpg

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#3 Doc

Doc

Action Puzzle gamer ftw

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario,Sonic,Pokémon,Puzzle League.

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:58 AM

Dude use paragraphs, that doesn't looks aesthetically appealing to look at. I read it all and yes I agree with you. Though no one can be for certain who will win the console war this generation...

(You gotta love it when people reply to long posts with one sentence or a picture as if it makes them look cool)

Edited by Doc, 07 October 2013 - 11:59 AM.

If you're too lazy to click on my profile, I am Pikmin Pie/Typical.

#4 krizzx

krizzx

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:05 PM

A lot of people seem to have forgotten that Nintendo opted out of the console war long ago. They keep pitting them against Sony and Microsoft anyway, though,

Nintendo is trying to focus on games and people still want to fight about high/low specs.

#5 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:17 PM

seems exagerated but bets are still on the PS4 winning the race, and microsoft eventualyl dropping out after they are done throwing money around.

#6 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

I read it too, but wowzers...  :laugh:

My two cents, it's a pretty good post but nothing that hasn't be argued or discussed before. Nintendo is able to keep a uniqueness to their games and consoles while MS and SONY fight it out to win over fans.

I agree the garden demo and the zelda demo showed the Wii U is more then capable, there is just a lot of positioning and elbowing rubbing currently with the upcoming release of the PS4 and Xbone.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#7 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

A lot of people seem to have forgotten that Nintendo opted out of the console war long ago. They keep pitting them against Sony and Microsoft anyway, though,

Nintendo is trying to focus on games and people still want to fight about high/low specs.

Did they actually come out and say this? Lol I kind of like that but I like them competeing so they feel the need to make better and better consoles.

#8 krizzx

krizzx

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:39 PM

Did they actually come out and say this? Lol I kind of like that but I like them competeing so they feel the need to make better and better consoles.

Yes.

I remember the earliest such statement was either before the release of the GC or Wii, where the head said they were targeting a second place position, or someting of the like, with their stategy. They were going to focus more on  simple game machine. It was years and years ago so good luck finding the actual quote.

Of course, before the Wii U launched there were numerous statements, the biggest of which was that they didn't care what type of "more beef" hardware the others made. http://www.nintendol...ed_our_strategy

There have been many comments over the last 10 years that pretty much amount to, we are focusing on making affordable, unique game machines and don't really care what Sony and Microsoft plan to do.

It worked with the Wii.

Edited by krizzx, 07 October 2013 - 12:42 PM.

#9 Cozmo

Cozmo

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

Yes.

I remember the earliest such statement was either before the release of the GC or Wii, where the head said they were targeting a second place position, or someting of the like, with their stategy. They were going to focus more on  simple game machine. It was years and years ago so good luck finding the actual quote.

Of course, before the Wii U launched there were numerous statements, the biggest of which was that they didn't care what type of "more beef" hardware the others made. http://www.nintendol...ed_our_strategy

There have been many comments over the last 10 years that pretty much amount to, we are focusing on making affordable, unique game machines and don't really care what Sony and Microsoft plan to do.

It worked with the Wii.

They should care a little. Lol and I'm sure they do, but I kind of like this.

Yes.

It worked with the Wii.

They should care a little. Lol and I'm sure they do, but I kind of like this.

#10 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

There is a problem with people claiming "the most powerful console as NEVER won", the most powerful console in the past was ALWAYS the most complicated to write for.

The difference today is that the PS4 is actually the EASIEST console to write for, and the cheapest of the main two.  So the reasons the most powerful consoles in the past may not have been number one, no longer apply.

That said I still think Nintendo will be fine.  The Gamecube was considered a flop by the industry as a whole but Nintendo made profit on it.  The sheer fact even I bough the Wii U purely for the exclusives shows that the still have the pull for those who want those games.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 07 October 2013 - 03:51 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#11 krizzx

krizzx

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 07 October 2013 - 07:08 PM

There is a problem with people claiming "the most powerful console as NEVER won", the most powerful console in the past was ALWAYS the most complicated to write for.

The difference today is that the PS4 is actually the EASIEST console to write for, and the cheapest of the main two.  So the reasons the most powerful consoles in the past may not have been number one, no longer apply.

That said I still think Nintendo will be fine.  The Gamecube was considered a flop by the industry as a whole but Nintendo made profit on it.  The sheer fact even I bough the Wii U purely for the exclusives shows that the still have the pull for those who want those games.

Cheapest? Main "two"?

The stronger the hardware, the more man hours it takes to utilize that strength. The cost of development will be relative to the scale of the game moreso than the difficulty in using the console.

Most game engines mitigate problems from complexity in the console hardware. That is why game engines exist. The PS4 being easy to develop for does not equate to it being the cheapest. Utizling that power is still going to require huge teams and lots of man hours. 

Also, what do you mean by main "two"? There are.

#12 Kirby

Kirby

Blooper

• Members
  • 170 posts
  • Fandom:
    Minecraft Nintendo

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

Nintendo sold 35 mil on the Gamecube. Its not that big of a fail to my eyes.

I mean... Think of the dreamcast.

Edited by Kirby, 08 October 2013 - 10:12 AM.

kirby_a_GIFSoupcom.gif

#13 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

Good point about the exclusives- I'm not even a huge fan of Mario Bros., but I have to have it on my system.  It's just something I like to pick up and play every now and then.  That, and there's something cool about breaking in a new system by playing Mario Bros.  

#14 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:36 PM

If the Wii U fails, its because the gaming community has lost their marbles ... the Wii U is excellent, there is no doubt about that in my mind, the problem is people are being brainwashed not to like it ... people dont like it who have never tried it... I hate to say this but its like TV ... some excellent shows dont make it because the viewing audience has brainwashed itself into thinking idiotic reality shows are the best thing since sliced bread ... its a manality im talking about.

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#15 backudog

backudog

Spiny

• Members
  • 243 posts
  • NNID:backudog

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

The Wii has sold 97 million units worldwide. That places it as the 5th best-selling console of all time. The PS3 has sold 70.2 million and the 360 70 million. There is no way, shape, or form that the Wii was a failure to any line of reason, common sense, or fact. Sony CEO Kaz Harai has already stated than the PS4 will not be much more powerful than the PS3Sony cannot afford to make a system much more powerful than the Wii U because they are losing billions of dollars in every single division they have. In fact, right now Nintendo actually has a higher market cap than Sony (Nintendo 15 billion, Sony 11 billion.) The dev kit for the PS4 have already gone out to developers and based on the information that has come back they are only slightly more powerful than the dev kits for the Wii U.

Its not all doom and gloom for Sony as a I mentioned earlier the PS3 is now at 70.2 million and it has leapfrogged the 360 in total system sales. Consider all the success Microsoft has had the past two years that is a good sign for Sony. I'm sure a lot of these bundles have help kick up PS3 sales. Just for the record I would like to explain that having the most powerful system NEVER WORKS in a console battle. Every console that has won a console war has either been weaker or the weakest of the bunch. The most powerful have always LOST. Least powerful or close to least powerful Atari 2600NES SNES PS1 PS2 Wii all won their console race. SG 1000 Atari 7800 NEO GEO N64 PS3 all lost or are losing their console race. Had the Dreamcast no been so easy to hack and had a DVD player it probably would have won it's console war too.

However because it was easy to mod and it did lack DVD, the next system up the ran away with it which was the PS2. It had a year start and even though the GameCube and XBOX were more powerful, their total system sales of around 35 million don't come anywhere close to the sales of the PS2 which are 154 million as the best-selling console of all time. So unless the 720 and PS4 offering something the the CASUAL consumer will want that theWii U doesn't offer, it's going to be an uphill battle for those two systems. The core audience is smaller than people think.

The reason why the 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, and PS2, and Wii won their battle is because the casual market got behind them. The Atari 2600 was a household name. Everyone had one. Then the NES took that to a higher level. The SNES didn't do as well as the NES but because it was the best deal for a 16bit system at the time it beat out the Genesis, TurboGrapx and NEO-GEO. The PlayStation came out just around the time CDs became really popular and gave casuals a nice CD player/video game system. With Sony known for their quality sound, it was a no brainer. Then thePlayStation 2 came around when DVD players were still quite expensive. Again, it gave casuals a inexpensive DVD player/CD player/video game system.

With the Wii, it introduced motion-control to the causal market. With it being as inexpensive as it was compared to the $499 and $599 360 and PS3, it became an "and" rather than an "or." In addition to the casuals flocking to go buy it, core gamers either had a Wii and 360, a Wii and PS3, or all three. So, based on history the Wii U has a bright future ahead of it. I'm not happy about the storage limitations myself, but it is far from a deal breaker. I don't need to be convinced about the power because their already sufficient evidence to draw a intelligent conclusion on that. People still asking questions at this point either are trolls or idiots. A GPGPU (with a custom CPU based on the Power7 architecture, and a ATI E6760 GPU running Direct X 11 and on-board memory,) plus, 2GB of system RAM is enough specs for me. The graphics shown for the Zelda HD and Japanese Garden Tech demo (which were both confirmed to not only have been whipped together in 3 weeks, but only used 10% of the systems power) was enough for me to see what this system is capable of doing.

Competition makes gaming more exciting and fulfilling for all of us. I WANT Microsoft and Sony to come out swinging with their next-gen consoles. That'll force Nintendo to up the ante, which will force THEM to up the ante, etc, etc. Wishing for a company to 'lose' is pretty selfish and stupid. People are going to hate Nintendo no matter what they do. I say to everyone hear whom has a brain to just sit back, and enjoy the ride.

not sure if i've seperated them into paragraphs correctly but hopefully its easier to read now.   :)  hope thats ok?

Edited by backudog, 08 October 2013 - 08:21 PM.

I hear voices in my head all the time, telling me what to do. But I just ignore them and carry on killing.

#16 Kokirii

Kokirii

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,269 posts
  • NNID:sixty4bit
  • Fandom:
    The Legend of Zelda, Mario

Posted 10 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

not sure if i've seperated them into paragraphs correctly but hopefully its easier to read now.   :)  hope thats ok?

haha now just need to have a mod copy that into the  OP

Edited by kokirii, 10 October 2013 - 08:06 AM.

Games of The Moment

New Super Mario Bros. 2

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door

#17 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:48 PM

Nintendo sold 35 mil on the Gamecube. Its not that big of a fail to my eyes.

I mean... Think of the dreamcast.

Heck, I owned Sega Saturn, Dreamcast and Gamecube and none of them were a lot to me.  They all had fantastic games I loved.

However the important point is that the former two WERE a flop to SEGA, causing them to drop out of the hardware business.  I do not see that as likely for Nintendo as they are far more careful with their finances.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 11 October 2013 - 03:52 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#18 TheDoritoKing

TheDoritoKing

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • NNID:Sir-Homsar

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:03 PM

seems exagerated but bets are still on the PS4 winning the race, and microsoft eventualyl dropping out after they are done throwing money around.

I'm thinking a repeat of the 6th generation: PlayStation will completely dominate the gaming scene; Xbox will have a respectable showing, but wind up on life support in Japan; and Nintendo's offering will have slow sales but be full of cult classics. But I do see Valve playing a part with their new Steam Machine. 

#19 Klobb

Klobb

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 134 posts
  • Fandom:
    Waluigi and Durant

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

tl;dr

If you think Smogon ban stuff

"Just because they can't beat it"

You clearly don't play OU

You clearly have no knowledge of the metagame

And you clearly don't deserve to have an opinion.

#20 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:05 AM

If the Wii U fails, its because the gaming community has lost their marbles ... the Wii U is excellent, there is no doubt about that in my mind, the problem is people are being brainwashed not to like it ... people dont like it who have never tried it... I hate to say this but its like TV ... some excellent shows dont make it because the viewing audience has brainwashed itself into thinking idiotic reality shows are the best thing since sliced bread ... its a manality im talking about.

i think that tv show analogy is a great way of describing the situation with wii u.

if it only gets gamecube sales then it may be a failure for Nintendo since its being sold at a loss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!