Photo

The Wii U Game Pad, The Logical Choice ...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 08 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

I really do not know about the rest of you, but I am very happy with the Wii U Game Pad.

One of the first things I felt when first had it in my hands was "a return to tradition, but done right"

The Pad just feels great in my hands ... it has all the buttons in all the right places ... it feels traditional to me, unlike how I felt when I first picked up a Wiimote and Nunchuck.  It felt like a return to common sense to me ... a staple ... but with a twist ... it has added functions as well ...

So when people talk about how far out an idea it was, that just seems crazy to me.  It functions as a standard controller to me ... at its very basic level, it is a traditional style controller ... it has two analog sticks positioned in the best position in my opinion .... hated the idea of the placement of the 360 sticks ... it has an excellent, not wishy washy D Pad ... 4 action buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, and start, select, and home buttons.

This configuration (with the exception of the lack of analog shoulder buttons - like the GC) can be used to play any game that came out since the days of the NES ... in its simplicity, it is versatile.  When you picked up a Wii, you got a Wiimote but if you wanted to play a lot of virtual console games, you needed a classic controller.  Now, the Wii U Game Pad is a classic controller ... you just have to wait until they release the old virtual console games for the Wii U ... but in essence, it serves that purpose.

But the pad adds enough new twists to make it modern as well ...... gyroscope, speakers, headphone jack, microphone,  Near Contact Reader, a camera, and of course, the THE TOUCH SCREEN and its Streaming Ability, Asymmetrical Gameplay, Off TV Gameplay for Wii & Wii U Games.

Because there are 100 Million Wii Systems already in homes, it makes sense not to pack a Wiimote in with the system .... people already have one!

It is backwards compatible right now ... the PS4 and XBOX 1 are not at this point.

To me, it seems like the most logical approach Nintendo could have made ... It is innovative, yet more firmly rooted in tradition than the Wii was in my opinion.  

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#2 Blake

Blake

Lakitu

• Banned
  • 2,197 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

I love the GamePad and I think it opens up plenty of gameplay opportunities, but the one problem I have with it is the triggers... I have a hard time keeping fingers on all the triggers at once, so I usually play with my fingers on 1 or 2 of the triggers. I feel like these triggers should've been designed better, but I agree with all the other design choices they made.

#3 RETROBLAST

RETROBLAST

Spiny

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • NNID:RetroBlast
  • Fandom:
    Super Mario, Zelda, Ricochet Infinity

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:10 PM

I'm glad you mention that ... I can honestly say, I never feel comfortable with 4 fingers on 4 shoulder buttons at the same time on any controller.  I believe the reason for this is that the lower triggers feel more natural than the upper triggers on all the controllers out there.  So according to my theory, there should be nothing where the upper triggers are, the lower triggers should be the upper triggers and then below them should be the lower triggers.   

The design of the Pad is so traditional, that it inherits the flaws of traditional controllers as well !!

Now that we are on the topic of the triggers, one design flaw I have noticed with the Pad is the the lower triggers are too easily triggered if the pad is resting on your leg or placed down for sec ... the lip just below them should have been extended beyond the bottom of the lip of the trigger to prevent this.

I'v Been Playing Video Games Since The Days Of Pong & It Looks Like I'll Be Playing Them 'Till The Day I'm Gone !!!

#4 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:23 PM

I like having instant access to my items without having to pause or anything.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#5 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:42 AM

I like options, and the Wii U gamepad provides those options (so long as the software does too).

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#6 Aplg8

Aplg8

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:13 AM

I love the GamePad and I think it opens up plenty of gameplay opportunities, but the one problem I have with it is the triggers... I have a hard time keeping fingers on all the triggers at once, so I usually play with my fingers on 1 or 2 of the triggers. I feel like these triggers should've been designed better, but I agree with all the other design choices they made.

this

#7 Aiddon

Aiddon

Blooper

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 09:09 PM

it's the most logical route because they already did something like it: the DS line. It just amazes me at how people, despite having lived in nearly a DECADE of dual-screen gaming, can't think up even the most BASIC things for it

#8 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 10 October 2013 - 02:25 AM

People just need to realise what the GamePad is all about, people need to play it, have it in their homes for a while, then they would understand how wonderful a second screen is for gaming.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!