5 replies to this topic

#1 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

So, I recently picked up Super Paper Mario, a game which I had experienced before through a YouTube Let's Play, but wanted to try for myself. I played through, and it just didn't do it for me. It just couldn't keep me playing for very long before I would just quit playing because I'd rather be doing something else.

Anyways, whenever I redeem my Club Nintendo codes, I write a semi-lenghty-ish review for the post-play survey, because I don't just want to give them some useless one-sentence review, even though nobody will probably ever read it. :P That being said, I thought I'd post my opinions on the game here for kicks. Enjoy, I guess. xD

Super Paper Mario is a good-looking game. It's humor and art style are, I believe, the main draws of it. And while those things are very good, they weren't enough to hold up the game by themselves. The level design was decent, but the difficulty was often either so easy that it just didn't provide enough of a challenge, or so difficult and un-intuitive I just got stuck and didn't want to play anymore. There were some puzzles with the perfect amount of difficulty, but they were few and far between. That said, Super Paper Mario is by no means a BAD game, it's just less than what I expected.

I rated the game 65 out of 100 .

So, yeah. I guess that's my review or whatever. Bai.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

#2 TriplePower

TriplePower

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • NNID:TriplePower
  • Fandom:
    Mario, The Legend of Zelda, Kid Icarus

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

For some reason, I really like this game. It's in my TOP 2 Wii games beaten only by Super Mario Galaxy. Don't ask me why, you'll probably not going to be satisfied with my explanation. I just like everything in it - the style, the music, the story (Bowser is the good guy this time!) and of course the gameplay. It's a game that makes me replay it over and over again.

Visit my Youtube Channel to hear my opinion on various Nintendo games!

#3 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:02 AM

the wii version id give roufly a 70. one of the sub mario franchises that abanonded some of what made it great (and got worse with the 3ds version).  id give the original a 85 and thousand year door 95. also i was wondering if 'paper mario' was just a excuse to use sprites in a mario RPG.

#4 person1

person1

Goomba

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:53 AM

I personally love the game and dont understand the widespread dislike... IMO it has one of the best Nintendo storylines of all time! Rivaled only by Mother 3 and maybe one or two others... Your telling me Dimentio is not the most badass characters/plot-twists you have ever seen? You probably didn't finish the game...

#5 tboss

tboss

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,242 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 06:22 PM

I personally love the game and dont understand the widespread dislike... IMO it has one of the best Nintendo storylines of all time! Rivaled only by Mother 3 and maybe one or two others... Your telling me Dimentio is not the most badass characters/plot-twists you have ever seen? You probably didn't finish the game...

it was brought down mostly by the gameplay and the comparitivly lackluster envronments, it overall took a step back from many of the aspects that made  the papermario series great. then sticker star came and abondoned the other half. I will admit it had a better story than most but it also didnt have to much going for it. I do hope they make a new papermario but keep to what made the first 2 great, but also do more proper changes, like the enemies and powerups not repeating the last to games too greatly.

#6 MatrixChicken

MatrixChicken

Knock knock, Scootaloo...

• Members
  • 869 posts
  • NNID:MatrixChicken
  • Fandom:
    MLP:FiM, Mario, Star Wars... And more...

Posted 26 October 2013 - 05:13 PM

I personally love the game and dont understand the widespread dislike... IMO it has one of the best Nintendo storylines of all time! Rivaled only by Mother 3 and maybe one or two others... Your telling me Dimentio is not the most awesome characters/plot-twists you have ever seen? You probably didn't finish the game...

No, I finished the game. It definitely had a great story. Very fun to see it unfold. The problem, for me, was gameplay. It was too easy most of the time, while at others, being far too punishingly difficult. It was also an extremely short game, though, as I said, that's kinda to be expected. So yeah, the story is great, the humour is great, the game looks pretty good, but even all that can't carry the quite meh gameplay. Just my opinion, and I thought I'd share it. :)

Edited by MatrixChicken, 26 October 2013 - 05:14 PM.

splatoonmcsig2_zps010eb482.png

Deviantart: MatrixChicken | Youtube: ThunderFilmStudios | Twitter: @JohnAlBerge

Twitch.tv: ThunderFilms | Soundcloud: ScootriX

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: REVIEW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!