• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Nintendo.fan

Nintendo.fan

Goomba

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

One of the main problems for me on the wii is the region lock, its so annoying u cant play games that u bought in a trip to other continent. Do you think that the wii U needs to be region free?

#2 Brian6330

Brian6330

Piano playing Gamer

• Members
  • 1,533 posts
  • Fandom:
    Kingdom Hearts Bastion BioShock

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:10 PM

I'd like it to be region free, but with Nintendo's history it's highly unlikely...

Reason that video game systems/consoles aren't region free:
The reason is that a game costs more in one continent or even country than another. e.g. A DS game in the US is around 39.99US$ (or less) in Switzerland it's 69.99 CHF which is around 50US$

The same is with Mexico and the US... do you know how much money a person could save if video games weren't region locked? The problem is that then Nintendo Of Wherever you're buying the game will earn less money, which is not what they want.

#3 BazzDropperz

BazzDropperz

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 688 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

-

Edited by BassDropper, 05 September 2013 - 01:51 AM.

#4 Bill Cipher

Bill Cipher

IT WAS ME BARRY!

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  • NNID:LordOfGrapeJuice
  • Fandom:
    RPGs

Posted 12 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

The majority of modern consoles aren't region locked though, Nintendo are just being greedy.

XBOX and PS3 are region locked, if I recall correctly.
Plus, this isn't Nintendo being greedy. My uncle reminded me that they had region locking back in the days of the SNES, and their minds were blown when they realized they had missed out on 3 final fantasy's

Games that refuse to use Gameplay effectively to do anything are like films that refuse to use cinematography in film to do anything.

NNID: Lord of Grape Juice /PSN: Nderbert/Steam: Harmonius EX

Games/Animation/Film/Comics/Literature/Fantasy/Sci-fi.

#5 Caius Casshern Sins

Caius Casshern Sins

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,263 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Megaman, more.

Posted 12 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

XBOX and PS3 are region locked, if I recall correctly.
Plus, this isn't Nintendo being greedy. My uncle reminded me that they had region locking back in the days of the SNES, and their minds were blown when they realized they had missed out on 3 final fantasy's

Actually the PS3 isn't region locked.

I do not think Nintendo will make the Wii U region free. SInce the Nintendo's history has always been region locked. The Nintendo 3DS is the first Nintendo handheld to become region locked so the chances are slim for them not to do it on the console.
Posted Image
Co-Leader of the A.D.P.F
Lose yourself in battle, and rejoice
After War there is Death ~ Goddess Palutena, victory is ours
Yeah, you've done a great job so far, letting the Metal Heads destroy the palace.

#6 Ponkotsu

Ponkotsu

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • Fandom:
    Opoona, Mother, Dragon Quest

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

Third parties have actually complained about losing money over a lack of region-lock in the past too. These days, I tend to look at region lock - and its introduction in the 3DS, as disappointing as that was - as a matter of appeasing third parties. I can live with it if it means more support, and the 3DS is definitely seeing a fantastic rush of that at every turn these days, especially compared to the region-free Vita, which shares most of its library with the PS3 and has virtually no exclusives that will move hardware. I pretty much look at it as something of a somewhat-necessary evil these days, and I'm expecting the trend to continue with the Wii U, as much as I'd love region-free Nintendo systems.

In the end, if I want to import games, I'll just have to import a system, and I can live with that if anything comes out that misses North America that I can't stand the idea of missing. If anything, I'd just like to see their upcoming online network integrated in all regions, with North American, European, Japanese, Australian, and all other regions' players' profiles, stats, and so forth shared on a common network. And more quirky WiiWare/Wii U Ware/DSiWare/3DSWare titles from Japan making it west - along with, ideally, more import Virtual Console releases, and a general revival of the VC with more regular releases (Which I don't expect to see much of until after the Wii U launches), with more work put into getting a lot more of the smaller name and niche NES, SNES, Master System, Genesis, Neo Geo, Turbo CD, arcade, and N64 games on the platform, considering how many hundreds of worthwhile games those systems are still missing. I'm hoping to see the likes of the Sega CD, Saturn, and Dreamcast on the VC - I'd love to finally have another shot at buying and playing Shenmue after missing out back in the day, if not outright Wii U or 3DS rereleases of the first two games and a final game to end the series from Yu Suzuki on either platform - and expecting we'll see the Gamecube on there too. (Just as I'm looking forward to the Game Gear and Turbografx 3DS VC support and I'm hoping to see Neo Geo Pocket Color and Virtual Boy support in time.) I'm just hoping the new Virtual Console platforms don't drown out or otherwise stymie a new flow of games to the Wii VC's platforms still missing huge numbers of good and great games.

#7 AMAC

AMAC

Pegasus

• Members
  • 1,055 posts
  • Fandom:
    Yoshi, Ponies, Mario, Professor Layton

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:28 AM

Although I'd rather not have a region locked Wii U, I think it will be region locked. With the 3DS having it, I think that region lock is here to stay, in Nintendo consoles at least.

#8 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:46 PM

Long Post

You made a long post. YOU GET A LIKE!

Person: "Did you even read the post properly?"
Auzzie: "I got lost halfway through."

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#9 Jonke

Jonke

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • NNID:Jonke5
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Pony, Anime

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:05 PM

As many have said before.. It will probably be region locked( we know Nintendo by now :P) but i honestly hope they change their minds before the release of the WiiU.

#10 StreetPassWanter

StreetPassWanter

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,517 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

Sorry man, but I'm 90% positive: No
Posted Image

^CLICK RIGHT NOW TO FACE PURE AWESOMENESS (MAYBE)
@SSB4News <- Pure awesomeness is now on Twitter!

#11 Merchiodos

Merchiodos

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Fandom:
    LINK <3

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:58 AM

YES!

Edited by Merchiodos, 24 October 2011 - 12:59 AM.

Posted Image

If only Link was real <3

#12 martoparto

martoparto

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 29 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, SMT and Pokemon

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

I think it will be locked, but I'm not sure. It's 60-40.
They could make it region-free, because more people will buy it.

Posted Image

No! I didn't know the results!! Oh well...

#13 Zuperman

Zuperman

Spear Guy

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

I've never been bothered to buy a game or system from another country in the first place.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!