#1 thomasb

thomasb

Goomba

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:27 PM

Hello,

I am a WII U BASIC USER.

Since WII U O/S took 5 GB from last update, I am kind of worrying about the upcoming system/firmware update.

In future, what if update will be bigger than 8GB, should I just throw away my basic WII U ?

I am serious that this could be happened in one day and think there will be some reason NINTENDO stopped selling BASIC UNIT.

Even though I connect an external hard drive , firmware update will only be able to be updated via internal flash memory ? isn't it ?

Can the system update be thru external storage as well ?

I hope NINTENDO consider the user of WII U BASIC further when they update !

#2 YoshiGamer9

YoshiGamer9

Wii U Forums Yoshi

• Members
  • 2,302 posts
  • NNID:YoshiWiiUGamer9
  • Fandom:
    Mario, Zelda, anything fun!

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:55 PM

If that's the case, it may not be worth updating, but you kind of have to if you want to use Miiverse or eShop, it usually restricts you from using that until you update it.

sfOI1m6.jpg

Add me on Wii U if you want to settle it in Smash

#3 Kiki Neko-Chan

Kiki Neko-Chan

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 399 posts
  • Fandom:
    Wii/U, The Sims

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

Hello,

I am a WII U BASIC USER.

Since WII U O/S took 5 GB from last update, I am kind of worrying about the upcoming system/firmware update.

In future, what if update will be bigger than 8GB, should I just throw away my basic WII U ?

I am serious that this could be happened in one day and think there will be some reason NINTENDO stopped selling BASIC UNIT.

Even though I connect an external hard drive , firmware update will only be able to be updated via internal flash memory ? isn't it ?

Can the system update be thru external storage as well ?

I hope NINTENDO consider the user of WII U BASIC further when they update !

The initial update wasn't 5 but actually around 1 GB. I doubt Nintendo would push out an update bigger than 2 GB, so you should be good. And besides, after the update is finished downloading and installing, the space that it took up will be cleared again.

Add Mii on miiverse:

thewiiuguy

^ dayum what a creative name

#4 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

4.0 was 700mb
So was the one in April.

One of them in between was only around 300mb or something.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#5 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:44 PM

The OS is probably only 1 gig, the rest is taken up from formatting i guess.

And 8gb os? No OS has ever been 8gb lol. Even windows 8 is about 4gb I think.

794144.png?13383682

#6 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

Not to mention how long that would take to download. People would be super annoyed.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#7 cannonshane

cannonshane

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 925 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:18 AM

Nintendo will always have to consider the basic users when creating any kind of download, In a way i wish i got the basic, I ended up getting an external HDD for my Wii u anyway.

Staff Writer at http://www.allagegaming.com/

Strayaaaaaaaaaa Mate

#8 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:39 AM

The OS is probably only 1 gig, the rest is taken up from formatting i guess.

And 8gb os? No OS has ever been 8gb lol. Even windows 8 is about 4gb I think.

I just downloaded OSX Mavericks and it was a little hefty at a bit over 5 gig.

No videogame console has come close to that.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#9 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

Nintendo will always have to consider the basic users when creating any kind of download, In a way i wish i got the basic, I ended up getting an external HDD for my Wii u anyway.

At the start I just wanted the black colour, but now that I've spent enough to get €5 (used on MSF) I'm super-happy I prefer black.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#10 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:17 AM

I just downloaded OSX Mavericks and it was a little hefty at a bit over 5 gig.

No videogame console has come close to that.

yea mac os has always been big tho.

i do doubt the wii u will see anything over 2gb tho.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#11 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 31 October 2013 - 01:15 PM

No modern OS uses more than 8GB of space. Don't expect it to change much on Nintendo's side.

Edited by Arkhandar, 31 October 2013 - 01:16 PM.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#12 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

I remember hearing about the OS taking 5GB before with the day one update.  I suspect what REALLY happened is the initial OS update "reserved" 5GB for OS use.  There is no reason to believe this will get any bigger, if anything I would expect them to shrink it down once they are done adding OS features.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#13 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

No modern OS uses more than 8GB of space. Don't expect it to change much on Nintendo's side.

Mac OSX used to. OS 10.5 Leopard shipped on a Dual-layer DVD and was 7.4GB (just for the installation files). mavericks did bring it down, though.

I remember hearing about the OS taking 5GB before with the day one update.  I suspect what REALLY happened is the initial OS update "reserved" 5GB for OS use.  There is no reason to believe this will get any bigger, if anything I would expect them to shrink it down once they are done adding OS features.

That makes sense... i think the OS is due for a major overhaul and this would allow them to gaurentee that users will have room to install it.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#14 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 01 November 2013 - 07:57 AM

Even if it got to a point that the OS would absolutely require to be bigger than 8 GB, I think there would be a lot of areas where Nintendo could cut some corners. 

Asset reutilization is an example on how to free up some space, which Nintendo simply ignored by making a ton different button images with the exact same pupose for every single system app they've developed. Having two friend lists is also something that goes beyond common sense.

Then again, the OS is a complete mess, so no wonder it occupies 5 GB of space.

Edited by Arkhandar, 03 November 2013 - 08:38 AM.

Posted Image

#15 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02 November 2013 - 10:13 PM

The os updates in the future should actually decrease the storage footprint once installed. You just need enough space for the initial download.

Hopefully they have a fresh ui with some clean design and visual consistency.

#16 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

I just don't understand why they code everything to be little self contained "takes ages to load" applications.  It makes the OS bigger and the experience painfully slugglish.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#17 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:54 AM

I just don't understand why they code everything to be little self contained "takes ages to load" applications.  It makes the OS bigger and the experience painfully slugglish.

Security measures, which often fail miserably. That and the fact that the OS and system apps had at least a dozen different teams, some time thousands of miles apart.

Nintendo thinks that making a modern OS is mainly duct taping a couple of apps together and voila. Which is sad btw, because it has so much potential.

Posted Image

#18 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:07 AM

Security measures, which often fail miserably. That and the fact that the OS and system apps had at least a dozen different teams, some time thousands of miles apart.

Nintendo thinks that making a modern OS is mainly duct taping a couple of apps together and voila. Which is sad btw, because it has so much potential.

I'm just hoping that now that they have the console out the door, the software devs can now take time to rebuild the OS and do it right.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#19 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:11 PM

I'm just hoping that now that they have the console out the door, the software devs can now take time to rebuild the OS and do it right.

Optimizations, sure (but nothing too major). But I doubt Nintendo will bring any UI changes at all. Something tells me that Nintendo's happy with the current UI, and by Nintendo I mean the big-guys which include Iwata.

Edited by Arkhandar, 09 November 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Posted Image

#20 Lebon14

Lebon14

Blooper

• Members
  • 183 posts
  • Fandom:
    Golden Sun and Touhou universe

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:57 AM

Although Windows 7 (not sure about Win8) install DVD is single layer, once installed, weights about ~28 GB (64-bit)...

Edited by Lebon14, 10 November 2013 - 09:58 AM.

WiiU NNID : Lebon14, Friend invites will be ignored. I must know you first.
Rocketman, your rocketman
Fly with me, to the moon, to the stars my heart
Rocketman, your rocketman
Take you higher
♫ - "Rocketman" by Mega NRG Man (Super Eurobeat 217)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: firmware, update, 8 GB, BASIC, INTERNAL FLASH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!