• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lukeloop

lukeloop

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:47 AM

After correctly manually configuring the Wii U using Nintendo's directions and ensuring all is correct in terms of router settings, channels etc etc, what would be an accurate speed test on the Wii U given that it is not flash based? I am in Australia using BigPond 100 Megabit cable internet connection. My ipad 2 gets about 35Megabit/sec using speedtest.net and using other identical html based speed tests gives me a variety of speeds. However, the ipad is always considerably faster than the Wii U.

Why is this?

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

Flash is a plugin, a browser is not 'based on' a plugin.

The answer though is that there are no really reliable speed tests for any network, speedtest.net is fantastic because it has nodes everywhere, not because it's (as a website) based on the flash browser plugin. All it ever measures is your speed to a certain data centre.

As for why the iPad's faster, the Wii U is a game console, while the iPad is a consumer device specifically designed to make browsing and using (apps) the internet easier.

Edited by Nollog, 31 October 2013 - 06:38 AM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 lukeloop

lukeloop

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:59 PM

So how are people quoting download speeds then? Many forums have people quoting speeds. Also, are you saying that the wifi ability in the Wii U which is a next gen console will be inferior to an ipad 2. Regardless of any speed test done on any site  the Wii U is much slower than the ipad. There should be a way of measuring the speed and reliability of this device in a scientific manner otherwise how can Nintendo even guarantee the performance of the console or have some sort of quality assurance process. I would like to see a speed test ability from Nintendo in the near future so people can have some idea of the speed of data transfer.

#4 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

The WiFi in the Wii U is definitely inferior to the iPad (at least some versions) as it doen't support 5Ghz. 

Then again, neither does the PS4 and its unclear if Xbox One does as it may only use 5Ghz for the controller, like Wii U does.

My own speed tests were performed by downloading games on the Wii U and monitoring the speed on my router.

I can confirm, in my experience, there is NO speed test remotely accurate that doesn't use FLASH.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 31 October 2013 - 02:12 PM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#5 lukeloop

lukeloop

Goomba

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

So if I download something a game from Nintendo using my Wii U I should be able to check this information in my router or computer somewhere. Can you tell me how you did yours? I am guessing I need to log into my router or somethig like that or check somewhere on my computer. Can you point me in the roght direction please. Thanks

I downloaded a few demos and viewed the download rate on the Wiiu , I am getting about 1.5-2.0 Megabits a second. I think that is bearable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!