• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

The PS4 will in no way share the struggles of the Wii U launch.

Sure, there aren't enough great games at launch, but that wasn't quite the Wii U's struggle.

When a NEXT GEN console launches, it's supposed to do so with NEXT GEN games. This is in terms of gameplay, but most especially in terms of the most obvious: graphics.

The Wii U did not do that. did it add a second screen, which is next-gen-ish. But the launch games (and launch window games) were nothing that couldn't be seen last gen.  We had a Wii level 2D mario game, an xbox 360 alien game that got ported to Wii U, then became a zombi game exclusive at the last minute and looked like it, some third party ports of last gen games that looked like last gen games, and a minigame bundle called NintendoLand.

Nintendo didn't have the resources to get its big games out in time and third parties were content to forgo learning the new hardware and just port nasty old gen code to it.

Though things are changing now, that's how it was at launch.

The PS4 doesn't have that problem at launch. It is coming with games that have been developed for the ground up specifically for its hardware spec.  It also has the benefit of third parties enthusiastically developing for it properly (made easier by its architectural similarity with one of its competitors, the X1). 

Killzone looks fantastic and is an obvious NEXT GEN game when you see it. Drive Club has some kinks to work out, but it still looks like a proper next gen game. Destiny won't launch, but we've seen it and it is amazing on PS4.  We didn't even have a glimpse into X, Mario 3DW, Mario Kart 8, etc. when Wii U launched.

And most third party games look pretty exciting and "next gen" on PS4.

So there won't be the "underpowered" misnomer confusion suffered by wii u. and there will be games actually meant for the ps4 specifically - something the wii u didn't have.

The PS4 won't suffer that fate.  but there may be other challenges ahead.

The Wii U is getting stronger now that actual next gen games built for it specifically are out and coming out.

the wii U had a rough launch. but it recovered well and if current trends are any indication, the thing will sell like gangbusters with every major game release.

it takes Nintendo a little longer to get moving, but when they do, they are a force.

#22 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

It sold 3.5 million units during the holiday season. Sure it had little buzz, but how is that not a hit?

Now, let's talk about the so called "dust collector".
In its six year life cycle the Wii sold around 100 million units and around 900 million software units, which equates into approximately 9 games per system adoption rate, or 1.5 games per year.
In its seven year life cycle the PS3 sold around 80 million units and around 754 million software units, which equates into approximately 9.4 games per system adoption rate or 1.3 games per year.
In its eight year life cycle the Xbox 360 sold around 80 million units and around 829 million software units, which equates into approximately 10.4 games per system adoption rate or 1.3 games per year.

You could argue that the Wii didn't bring much interest to you in terms of its software library, but if you call that a dust collector, you're just being dumb.

And no third-party support? I suggest you take a good look at this: http://www.gengame.n...mproved-on-wii/

It's funny how the media can simply destroy the image of a console by making bold assumptions out of thin air, with no factual evidence supporting such claims. The Wii died prematurely compered to the HD twins because the media destroyed its image. Soon enough, publisher trust went down and so did support, sales and popularity. Nintendo just gave it the final blow in 2011 by just having Skyward Sword in the pipeline. They abandoned the system, which they had no other option but to do so in order to support the 3DS and prepare for the Wii U. Understaffed Nintendo is understaffed x)

Exactly. Launch sales are all fun and games until you realize there's little to no quality games in the short-term pipeline. It's always been like this, except this generation it feels that the gap between launch and the arrival of great quality games is even bigger. Maybe it's because there are less and less publishers in the industry, or maybe its because games take too much time to make right now, I don't know. Nevertheless, truth be said that the real test for a system is whether it can regain momentum or not, once the must-haves start flooding in (in which the Vita failed miserably and the Wii U is currently in purgatory).

Your Wii software figures are skewed off the bat due to the Wii Sports which came with each system, so you can take off 100 MILLION right there. And you called me dumb?

But nice try.

If we look at just the top 30 games sold about 2/3 are Nintendo games. And count for about 325 million of your 900 million number. And I just went to 30.

Hell, 9 of the top 10 are Nintendo with Just dance 3 being in at 10.

This is why no one is putting much effort into Wii U.

Edited by Dharmanator, 08 November 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#23 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:34 PM

Your Wii software figures are skewed off the bat due to the Wii Sports which came with each system, so you can take off 100 MILLION right there. And you called me dumb?

But nice try.

If we look at just the top 30 games sold about 2/3 are Nintendo games. And count for about 325 million of your 900 million number. And I just went to 30.

if I recall correctly the PS3 and the Xbox 360 also came in some bundles. Shortly after launch they discontinued the no-bundle version and I remember bundles with more than one game. And remember that stupid game that came with the Kinect Xbox bundle? In fact, currently the Xbox 360 comes in two bundles, each with two games. if we assume that both the Xbox 360 and PS3 had on average one game bundled for each console sold (which I suspect is on the low side, maybe 1.5 or so), then that makes a dent in your argument

Edited by grahamf, 08 November 2013 - 10:39 PM.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#24 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

if I recall correctly the PS3 and the Xbox 360 also came in some bundles. Shortly after launch they discontinued the no-bundle version and I remember bundles with more than one game. And remember that stupid game that came with the Kinect Xbox bundle? In fact, currently the Xbox 360 comes in two bundles, each with two games. if we assume that both the Xbox 360 and PS3 had on average one game bundled for each console sold (which I suspect is on the low side, maybe 1.5 or so), then that makes a dent in your argument

I will not assume that. You pulled that directly from your bottom.

#25 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 08 November 2013 - 11:36 PM

I will not assume that. You pulled that directly from your bottom.

You assumed that no PS3s or Xbox 360s come with games.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#26 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:04 AM

On July 9, 2007, Sony announced the 80 GB PlayStation 3 model for North America, bundled with MotorStorm,[4] to be available beginning August 6, 2007.[5][6][7] In addition, Sony announced a price drop in which the 60 GB model would sell for US$499.[4]

On July 12, 2007, SCEE announced a Starter Pack bundle in Europe, including a second SIXAXIS controller and two first-party titles from a given selection, to sell at the same price as the standalone model.

On October 10, 2007, the 40 GB PlayStation 3 model was released in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. In Europe, the 40 GB model had a price of €399.99. The 60 GB Starter Pack received a reduction in price to €499[13] except in Britain, where the Starter Pack will be replaced by a £349 Value Pack with two first party games (Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man) and one SIXAXIS controller

On November 2, 2007, the 40 GB model was released in North America for US$399/CAD$399, with Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray as a pack-in.[16]

On February 26, 2008, Sony announced at Destination PlayStation, during a retailers conference, that they will be releasing a 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle PS3 that includes the 80GB PS3, a copy of MGS4, and a DualShock 3 controller.

On June 12, 2008, Sony released a 80GB PS3 Bundle which has Metal Gear Solid 4, along with a DualShock 3 controller, and a voucher for a free download of the PlayStation Network game, Pain.

n August 20, 2008, Sony announced at the Leipzig Games Convention that they will be releasing a 160GB PS3 bundle which includes Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, along with a DualShock 3 controller, and a voucher for a free download of the PlayStation Network game, Pain.

In July 2009, in North America, Sony released a PS3 bundle with Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, and a DualShock 3 controller.[19]

n August 17, 2010, the 160GB PS3 slim previously released in Japan was announced for North America during Gamescom 2010. The 320GB model was also announced to be headed for NA, but it will come with Move and Sports Champion.

Am I going to have to post the 360 sku timeline as well?

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#27 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 09 November 2013 - 06:26 AM

the PS4 is going to sell as many units in the holiday season as Wii U sold in its whole first year.  There's no denying that and it's okay.  Nintendo needs to get their act together and unrealistic/antagonistic predictions about the other consoles aren't going to help.  It just makes Wii U owners look desperate 

No it isn't.

It'll probably sell 900k on launch day, and then within 6 months approach the 3.9 million wii u has.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#28 Dharmanator

Dharmanator

Thwomp

• Members
  • 336 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 07:01 AM

On July 9, 2007, Sony announced the 80 GB PlayStation 3 model for North America, bundled with MotorStorm,[4] to be available beginning August 6, 2007.[5][6][7] In addition, Sony announced a price drop in which the 60 GB model would sell for US$499.[4]

On July 12, 2007, SCEE announced a Starter Pack bundle in Europe, including a second SIXAXIS controller and two first-party titles from a given selection, to sell at the same price as the standalone model.

On October 10, 2007, the 40 GB PlayStation 3 model was released in Europe, the Middle East, and Africa. In Europe, the 40 GB model had a price of €399.99. The 60 GB Starter Pack received a reduction in price to €499[13] except in Britain, where the Starter Pack will be replaced by a £349 Value Pack with two first party games (Motorstorm and Resistance: Fall of Man) and one SIXAXIS controller

On November 2, 2007, the 40 GB model was released in North America for US$399/CAD$399, with Spider-Man 3 on Blu-ray as a pack-in.[16]

On February 26, 2008, Sony announced at Destination PlayStation, during a retailers conference, that they will be releasing a 80GB Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle PS3 that includes the 80GB PS3, a copy of MGS4, and a DualShock 3 controller.

On June 12, 2008, Sony released a 80GB PS3 Bundle which has Metal Gear Solid 4, along with a DualShock 3 controller, and a voucher for a free download of the PlayStation Network game, Pain.

n August 20, 2008, Sony announced at the Leipzig Games Convention that they will be releasing a 160GB PS3 bundle which includes Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, along with a DualShock 3 controller, and a voucher for a free download of the PlayStation Network game, Pain.

In July 2009, in North America, Sony released a PS3 bundle with Metal Gear Solid 4, Killzone 2, and a DualShock 3 controller.[19]

n August 17, 2010, the 160GB PS3 slim previously released in Japan was announced for North America during Gamescom 2010. The 320GB model was also announced to be headed for NA, but it will come with Move and Sports Champion.

Am I going to have to post the 360 sku timeline as well?

You did not pull that from your bottom.

But, let's not include downloads and movies. I doubt the numbers will be close to the 100 million of Wii sports pack in. Plus you could still get the PS3 with no game.

Point is I am not going to allow a 1.5 games per system modifier. I would think more like .5.

Edited by Dharmanator, 09 November 2013 - 07:05 AM.

#29 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:48 AM

But nice try.

If I remember correctly, Wii Sports is still considered a game. Am I wrong?

Nintendo games don't count as games? Where did you pull that from? Your bottom?

Point is I am not going to allow a 1.5 games per system modifier. I would think more like .5.

1.5 games per year per system.

Just because you don't agree with something it doesn't make it any less true.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#30 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

But, let's not include downloads and movies. I doubt the numbers will be close to the 100 million of Wii sports pack in. Plus you could still get the PS3 with no game.

There are so many fallacies in the logic of this reasoning i cant even count them.

1. Wii sports wasnt a pack in in all territories.

2. Wii sports was only a pack in for a limited time.

3. Just because Mintendo made a far more popular game a pack in doesnt mean you get to ignore other systems pack ins. In fact, both the ps3 and 360 had faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar more pack in deals than the wi, including pack ins meant to discredit the wii, such as ones that emphasized the ps3 could play blue ray movies. Nintendo just made a game more people wanted, and held its value for far longer. Its what nintendo does best.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#31 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 11:03 AM

I never said to assume 1.5. I said to assume 1.0, but I suspect it may have been closer to 1.5.

And why not include downloads? It's the same game, just on a different media. Shortly after the Wii U's launch the Deluxe's NintendoLand game stopped being a disk and became an activation key to download NintendoLand off of the eShop. Does that mean it no longer counts as a bundled game?

And 1 out of 3Dude's bundles come with a movie. Woo.

Also, Wii Sports was discontinued as a pack-in halfway through the Wii's lifespan. I'm not sure when, but iirc it was sometime after the red Mario bros bundle came out.

Edited by grahamf, 09 November 2013 - 11:04 AM.

#32 Arkhandar

Arkhandar

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Metroid, Mario, Kirby, DK

Posted 09 November 2013 - 02:09 PM

I never said to assume 1.5. I said to assume 1.0, but I suspect it may have been closer to 1.5.

Remember, it's 9 games per system, which in a 6 year lifespan equates into 1.5 games per year (per system).

Edited by Arkhandar, 09 November 2013 - 02:09 PM.

If you try to fail and succeed, which have you done?

Posted Image

#33 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

Remember, it's 9 games per system, which in a 6 year lifespan equates into 1.5 games per year (per system).

I was referring to average bundled games per console

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!