74 replies to this topic

#21 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

people confuse me on here lol "oh i like that game...but its cr*p" lmao

You're confused because you didn't understand what I meant. It's more like "Wow, I had a blast playing this game! But it has a ton of flaws, bugs, etc and has many issues that help me understand why the game received low ratings. Despite my enjoyment, I also agree with the mediocre scores."

#22 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:12 PM

I have to disagree. Its better then many recent platform/adventure games. Its far better then what the critics say and nothing like the Lego games. The Lego games are not as good as Knack and unlike the latter they are actually quite boring and a chore to play.

IDK, I've only played a few of the earlier levels. Maybe it get more interesting later on, but what I played definitely wasn't engaging. At least, not engaging enough to warrant a purchase.

I wasn't bashing you or anything for you liking the game. You're the one that replied to my first post saying that Knack wasn't meh. You tried to change my opinion on it, but you should have known that trying to change my opinion wasn't gonna work.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#23 dark_rabbid

dark_rabbid

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 397 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, tales, and online games.

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:10 AM

The ps3 version of skyrim stinks but I love it. It's a glitchy nightmare deserving of terrible scores, but for some reason I love it.

#24 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:15 AM

I believe what he's saying is that there shouldn't be this kind of 'standard' for how good a game is.

If you enjoy it then it's not bad. So Knack is however good you think it is. There is a set quality of Knack or anything else, it just depends on whether you enjoy it and that's all that matters.

#25 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 02:40 PM

Is Warframe out on PS4? Anyone played it?

#26 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

yep its free to download,i havnt bothered though as it dosnt look like my type of game,i downloaded war thunder and resogun instead,also theres a fps free to download now,cant remember the name but im going to give it a go :)

#27 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:11 PM

I've played knack. If you ask me, it was as bad or worse than what the reviewers were saying about it. As TheUltimateWaddleDee said, it feels a lot like the earlier licensed Lego games (I wasn't a fan of them, either).

That is very interesting as I first got into the LEGO games when I played the Star Wars demo but never got round to buying it.  I don't think I actually played one properly until Harry Potter and those LEGO games were fantastic.  Then LEGO City Undercover took it to a new level.  I recently tried to finally play LEGO Star Wars and it really does feel bad, they have improved A LOT over the years.  Its why when anyone hurls abuse at LEGO games I get quite annoyed, as they really are much better.  Sure the mechanics are ultimately the same with every game, but then 99% of games are like that.

Anyway, on topic.

Resogun like most other people I was pleasantly surprised with.  A LOT of people have given this game abuse without playing it, because its too "old school" like somehow that makes it inherently bad.  In reality, its no more old fashioned than any other game - its just people dismiss shooters without question for some reason.

Assassins Creed 4, nothing I can say that hasn't already.  This game is amazing and much more fun to play than the older games.  I have only played about an hour in the first two games and even less in the third, but I found myself get into the fourth MUCH quicker and think the super smooth 30fps frame rate, excellent drawing distance and just overall beautiful game is a lot of it.  I still end up fighting with the controls quite a lot, but not as much as the first two games.  The only negative I would give is that the islands are too similar in appearance to each other, especially the smaller ones with just a chest on them where they clearly are copy/paste jobs.  Considering they are all within a relative small map (in geographical terms, in game play terms its a very good size) its probably realistic to just see the same foliage over and over, so I can't really call it a fault. 

It proves a quote I read that I think was from Rockstar (but it might have been another dev talking about GTA).  To make a large map is easy, to make a large map with diverse scenery and things to do so that its actually FUN to play, is very very hard, and sometimes you have to throw away realism to do it.  AC4 sticks more with realism than the GTA route where rivers and mountains do not really make geographical sense, and it pays off.  It only really gets tedious if you let it, like when I end up chasing down collectibles for too long, you then have to go back do some more missions.  That is whats so great about the game, when you bored of being a pirate you go inland, when you are bored of land missions you set sail, its a great combination and I have already spent over 24 hours in the game with about 33% completion.

Contrast sadly lives up to the reviews, its pretty bad.  It had the potential to be a good game, but the mechanics do not live up to the premise and ultimately its a very simplistic platform/adventure game.

Killzone I am having a hard time getting into sadly.  After seeing the tutorial level I had high hopes, but I am having issues with the game not really directing you to what you need to do next and the controls feel kinda clunky to me.  Perhaps I just need to spend more time with it but with how easy AC4 was to get into I am not in a forgiving mood.  This also kinda puts me off trying any other FPS right now.

Need for Speed: Rivals, I was originally planning to buy it but have held off after watching people on Twitch and reading about how so much of the single player experience seems to have been thrown away compared to Hot Pursuit/Most Wanted, in order to make it always online.  I never found always online added anything to Test Drive Unlimited, if anything it was just annoying as when my friends were online it wouldn't always bring them into my game world straight away.  Now starting from scratch as I haven't played online in AGES and that was on Xbox, any game that relies on playing with people online has me very cautious.  That also has delayed me trying the free to play games which are all on my HDD, but AC4 keeps calling.

Overall though I am very pleased with the PS4.  I find the controller the most comfortable I have used to date, possibly behind the Gamecube controller but the extra functionality causes it to pull ahead.  The only real problem is that being used to playing with the left analog up top I find when I think I am pushing left, its at an angle.  It doesn't make a huge impact when gaming as you correct yourself, but its noticeable.  I'm just disappointed it doesn't work on GTA V on PS3 as apparently it does work in many other PS3 games when plugged in via USB and the new triggers would make things much better.  Speaking of, I had doubts about the triggers from the look of them but actually I find them the most comfortable yet. 

I'm curious to know what the Xbox One controller feels like as I was considering getting one for PC to replace the Xbox 360 controller, but now I have my doubts if I should bother.  The triggers being shaped should be more comfortable, as they were on the original Xbox controller, but they really are not a problem on dual-shock 4 and I suspect that will eventually be hacked into working perfectly on PC.  People are already complaining about the gap between the triggers and bumpers being too small on One, not a problem on PS4.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#28 syks-1

syks-1

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 479 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 02:24 AM

That is very interesting as I first got into the LEGO games when I played the Star Wars demo but never got round to buying it.  I don't think I actually played one properly until Harry Potter and those LEGO games were fantastic.  Then LEGO City Undercover took it to a new level.  I recently tried to finally play LEGO Star Wars and it really does feel bad, they have improved A LOT over the years.  Its why when anyone hurls abuse at LEGO games I get quite annoyed, as they really are much better.  Sure the mechanics are ultimately the same with every game, but then 99% of games are like that.

Anyway, on topic.

Resogun like most other people I was pleasantly surprised with.  A LOT of people have given this game abuse without playing it, because its too "old school" like somehow that makes it inherently bad.  In reality, its no more old fashioned than any other game - its just people dismiss shooters without question for some reason.

Assassins Creed 4, nothing I can say that hasn't already.  This game is amazing and much more fun to play than the older games.  I have only played about an hour in the first two games and even less in the third, but I found myself get into the fourth MUCH quicker and think the super smooth 30fps frame rate, excellent drawing distance and just overall beautiful game is a lot of it.  I still end up fighting with the controls quite a lot, but not as much as the first two games.  The only negative I would give is that the islands are too similar in appearance to each other, especially the smaller ones with just a chest on them where they clearly are copy/paste jobs.  Considering they are all within a relative small map (in geographical terms, in game play terms its a very good size) its probably realistic to just see the same foliage over and over, so I can't really call it a fault. 

It proves a quote I read that I think was from Rockstar (but it might have been another dev talking about GTA).  To make a large map is easy, to make a large map with diverse scenery and things to do so that its actually FUN to play, is very very hard, and sometimes you have to throw away realism to do it.  AC4 sticks more with realism than the GTA route where rivers and mountains do not really make geographical sense, and it pays off.  It only really gets tedious if you let it, like when I end up chasing down collectibles for too long, you then have to go back do some more missions.  That is whats so great about the game, when you bored of being a pirate you go inland, when you are bored of land missions you set sail, its a great combination and I have already spent over 24 hours in the game with about 33% completion.

Contrast sadly lives up to the reviews, its pretty bad.  It had the potential to be a good game, but the mechanics do not live up to the premise and ultimately its a very simplistic platform/adventure game.

Killzone I am having a hard time getting into sadly.  After seeing the tutorial level I had high hopes, but I am having issues with the game not really directing you to what you need to do next and the controls feel kinda clunky to me.  Perhaps I just need to spend more time with it but with how easy AC4 was to get into I am not in a forgiving mood.  This also kinda puts me off trying any other FPS right now.

Need for Speed: Rivals, I was originally planning to buy it but have held off after watching people on Twitch and reading about how so much of the single player experience seems to have been thrown away compared to Hot Pursuit/Most Wanted, in order to make it always online.  I never found always online added anything to Test Drive Unlimited, if anything it was just annoying as when my friends were online it wouldn't always bring them into my game world straight away.  Now starting from scratch as I haven't played online in AGES and that was on Xbox, any game that relies on playing with people online has me very cautious.  That also has delayed me trying the free to play games which are all on my HDD, but AC4 keeps calling.

Overall though I am very pleased with the PS4.  I find the controller the most comfortable I have used to date, possibly behind the Gamecube controller but the extra functionality causes it to pull ahead.  The only real problem is that being used to playing with the left analog up top I find when I think I am pushing left, its at an angle.  It doesn't make a huge impact when gaming as you correct yourself, but its noticeable.  I'm just disappointed it doesn't work on GTA V on PS3 as apparently it does work in many other PS3 games when plugged in via USB and the new triggers would make things much better.  Speaking of, I had doubts about the triggers from the look of them but actually I find them the most comfortable yet. 

I'm curious to know what the Xbox One controller feels like as I was considering getting one for PC to replace the Xbox 360 controller, but now I have my doubts if I should bother.  The triggers being shaped should be more comfortable, as they were on the original Xbox controller, but they really are not a problem on dual-shock 4 and I suspect that will eventually be hacked into working perfectly on PC.  People are already complaining about the gap between the triggers and bumpers being too small on One, not a problem on PS4.

In killzone if you hold up on the dpad it tells you what your mission is and if you tap up (instead of holding it) it will show your next objective on the game,a small orange circle will appear on the screen telling you where to go.

I love killzone although spend more time playing it online,its not as good as battlefield though and i suggest you give that  a try :) its AMAZING playing with 64 players with all the tanks,planes,helecopters etc all around you at the same time with buildings collapsing left right and center...i LOVE it

#29 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 03:30 PM

I know exactly what you mean about Assassins Creed 4. I'm really trying to just mess about in the world for once, as I never feel like I can do anything, I constantly feel like I always need to so the next objective when I play open world games.

Yesterday I played for 2 hours and only did one mission as I was just sailing about for ages battling ships and taking their cargo, and reducing my wanted level. It's just such an interesting game, and it makes me even more excited for Watch Dogs.

I've played several launch games now aside from AC4, and had quite a good time with them.

Love Zoo Tycoon, and can't imagine how tiny the zoo would have to be on the 360 version. The kinect stuff is quite cool, and it's good to see them launch with a more family friendly game.

I hate Dead Rising, as the controls felt horrible to me, and the first boss was so annoying I immediately gave up on it.

Ryse is better in my opinion, and the best graphics I've seen so far. Gameplay is pretty fun but hugely repetitive.

Killer Instinct is good but I'm terrible at it.

And finally Forza 5, which I'm kind of torn on. It's really great for actual racing but it takes ages to level up and gain money for cars, and there's the oh so convenient 'pay really money for everything' button in so many places. It's really utter BS and makes the game feel more like a free to play game you had to pay loads of money for.

Really good so far though, and it's definitely good to be a Wii U owner and not have to worry about 3rd party stuff anymore.

#30 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 08:20 PM

I know exactly what you mean about Assassins Creed 4. I'm really trying to just mess about in the world for once, as I never feel like I can do anything, I constantly feel like I always need to so the next objective when I play open world games.

Yesterday I played for 2 hours and only did one mission as I was just sailing about for ages battling ships and taking their cargo, and reducing my wanted level. It's just such an interesting game, and it makes me even more excited for Watch Dogs.

I've played several launch games now aside from AC4, and had quite a good time with them.

Love Zoo Tycoon, and can't imagine how tiny the zoo would have to be on the 360 version. The kinect stuff is quite cool, and it's good to see them launch with a more family friendly game.

I hate Dead Rising, as the controls felt horrible to me, and the first boss was so annoying I immediately gave up on it.

Ryse is better in my opinion, and the best graphics I've seen so far. Gameplay is pretty fun but hugely repetitive.

Killer Instinct is good but I'm terrible at it.

And finally Forza 5, which I'm kind of torn on. It's really great for actual racing but it takes ages to level up and gain money for cars, and there's the oh so convenient 'pay really money for everything' button in so many places. It's really utter BS and makes the game feel more like a free to play game you had to pay loads of money for.

Really good so far though, and it's definitely good to be a Wii U owner and not have to worry about 3rd party stuff anymore.

Really? Dead Rising is no good? I watched a bit of a guy streaming and it looks like they finally took the chains off the player and allow us to roam around freely without time limits. I was actually considering getting an Xbone because of it lol.

#31 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:02 PM

yeah... tried knack again at a demostation... And, i just cant get over the 90's crash bandicoot game design... My 4 year old actually got bored with it after taking out the 3 grape jelly squirting guards 30 seconds in the demo...

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#32 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 03:44 AM

yeah... tried knack again at a demostation... And, i just cant get over the 90's crash bandicoot game design... My 4 year old actually got bored with it after taking out the 3 grape jelly squirting guards 30 seconds in the demo...

Where the hell have all the decent 3d platformers went? Obviously Nintendo does it best but I remember back in the N64, PS1, PS2 and gamecube days when 3d platforming was all the rage.Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo, Vexx etc.

Last gen apart from Mario Galaxy and maybe Kameo on 360 (which I liked) that's all I can think of. Knack just doesn't cut it.

#33 ThePopiPenguin

ThePopiPenguin

Little Blue Penguin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • NNID:PowpiPenguin
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo and Valve

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:04 AM

yep its free to download,i havnt bothered though as it dosnt look like my type of game,i downloaded war thunder and resogun instead,also theres a fps free to download now,cant remember the name but im going to give it a go :)

Both of those started on PC and are better with Mouse + KB.

NintNetwork: PowpiPenguin | Steam: PopiPenguin| LoL Philippines: PCD.Fencing.Cat |Guild Wars 2: Argath Stormseeker

"And on the first day, GabeN, our lord and saviour said: There shall be games!"

#34 Poptartboy

Poptartboy

Spiny

• Members
  • 249 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:04 AM

Really? Dead Rising is no good? I watched a bit of a guy streaming and it looks like they finally took the chains off the player and allow us to roam around freely without time limits. I was actually considering getting an Xbone because of it lol.

I just didn't like how awkward weapon switching and stuff is. If you think it looks good and you liked the last ones then you'll probably like it. It's not my thing though.

Also the amount of zombies onscreen is truly amazing.

#35 DoubleDragon101

DoubleDragon101

Goomba

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:49 AM

Well i wanted to like kill zone could not get into it all the buttons on the controller are a night mare confusing wasn't for me nice looking game been done before thou nothing new i actually got motion sickness playing this i had to switch it off, Assassins creed enjoyed that  only game i liked,  Knack didn;t really like that  at  all, ALL  games looked great on new tv ,

I'm on with lego marvel at moment  {wii u} looks amazing great game enjoying it no regrets selling my PS4 at all 

#36 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:13 AM

Where the hell have all the decent 3d platformers went? Obviously Nintendo does it best but I remember back in the N64, PS1, PS2 and gamecube days when 3d platforming was all the rage.Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, Banjo, Vexx etc.

Last gen apart from Mario Galaxy and maybe Kameo on 360 (which I liked) that's all I can think of. Knack just doesn't cut it.

A lot of the creators went mobile. And are doing f2p garbage and shouting about how its the future and nintendo better get with it.

Of course... I never really thought any of those were worth a bean... Except maybe the first spyro. Two beans.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#37 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:55 PM

Good to know the PS4 and Xbox One version of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will both be 1080p.

http://www.videogame...ve_edition.html

I think all this talk of Xbone being underpowered is not true, maybe slightly but the gap won't be significant in later games I think. Those 720p games on Xbone are just a case of late dev kits and rushed launch cross platform guess work of final specs in my opinion.

#38 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

Good to know the PS4 and Xbox One version of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition will both be 1080p.

http://www.videogame...ve_edition.html

I think all this talk of Xbone being underpowered is not true, maybe slightly but the gap won't be significant in later games I think. Those 720p games on Xbone are just a case of late dev kits and rushed launch cross platform guess work of final specs in my opinion.

Xbone has 16 rops compared to ps4's 32 rops. While 16 rops is more than enough fillrate for 1080p (wii u only has 8 rops, and it has some 1080p games) other things require fillrate as well, such as post op filtering like aa and af, post op effects, multipass rendering.... and is also lacking half the gcn shader cores. For a machine that is so much more expensive, it is woefully underpowered for what its been designed for.

The gap will only widen with later exclusive games. The question is, will the ridiculous budget required to make use of the power difference be worthwhile, or will most people not really be able to notice, or if they do notice... Will they really even care...

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#39 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:27 PM

Xbone has 16 rops compared to ps4's 32 rops. While 16 rops is more than enough fillrate for 1080p (wii u only has 8 rops, and it has some 1080p games) other things require fillrate as well, such as post op filtering like aa and af, post op effects, multipass rendering.... and is also lacking half the gcn shader cores. For a machine that is so much more expensive, it is woefully underpowered for what its been designed for.

The gap will only widen with later exclusive games. The question is, will the ridiculous budget required to make use of the power difference be worthwhile, or will most people not really be able to notice, or if they do notice... Will they really even care...

Well, I can imagine sony owned studios would be the only ones that would bother, xbox one will be popular enough that most games will want to be on the system, and downgrading would take more time.

#40 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 10 December 2013 - 02:58 AM

Sorry but the Ps4 isn't some beast compared to Xbone. The 32 rops in PS4 is considered overkill, as far as I know rops comee in 16,32, and 64 variations etc so while PS4 plan to use more than 16 rops they are not using anywhere near 32. The GPU isn't powerful enough to use that much. PS4 is capable of much closer to 16 rops than 32.

Not saying Xbone is more powerful but it does have aspects where it beats PS4. Latency, clock speed, 512mb more ram for games, esram on die, four move engines, much more powerful audio chip which frees up CPU cores etc.

Microsoft should free up that 10% of the GPU asap they are reserving for Kinect.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!