Photo

Gamespot DKTF Preview.... Nintendo take notice!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • NNID:gamer1984
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

What have we been hearing for years now.... Nintendo needs to make new IP's that cater to modern gaming. I know most fans(especially on this site) have dismissed this saying Nintendo is fine doing what they do. I feel Nintendo has the best developers in the world(Personal opinion) but i dont think they are challenging themselves enough. They do awesome with the IP's they have(Mario3Dworld) and always come out with amazing content and gameplay experiences. It just feels like we know what they are going to do we know whats coming. I am going to post a link to the gamespot preview and i hope you guys take the time to read it. He basically says the game is amazing but he cant shake the feeling that Retro is wasting their time working on a 2d platformer they should be doing more. here is one qoute from the article.

"Tropical Freeze isn't doing anything that we haven't seen in dozens of similar platformers, so its fun is fleeting. Shouldn't Retro be crafting something that resonates throughout the industry, whose ripples transcend genres and inspire designers? Aren't they ignoring their potential to work on just another Donkey Kong?"

here is link to preview   http://www.gamespot....e/1100-6416779/

thoughts?

#2 meitantei_conan

meitantei_conan

Boo

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • NNID:qublin_triforce

Posted 18 December 2013 - 11:02 PM

nintendo is fo  babiez 

hurp

#3 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 12:26 AM

I agree that Nintendo should make some new ips, and im sure they will this gen. I'm just so sick of people criticising DK just because they wanted Retro to make another Metroid, its getting very old now. People need to stop being babies and realise that the Wii U has only been out for a year so we have plenty of time for new ips.

Anyway, DKC games are 1000x better than any other 2D platformers out there right now.

#4 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:16 AM

Anyway, DKC games are 1000x better than any other 2D platformers out there right now.

DKC is not 1000x better than Rayman Origins or Legends. 

#5 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 19 December 2013 - 01:35 AM

I agree that Nintendo should make some new ips, and im sure they will this gen. I'm just so sick of people criticising DK just because they wanted Retro to make another Metroid, its getting very old now. People need to stop being babies and realise that the Wii U has only been out for a year so we have plenty of time for new ips.

It wasnt just Metroid. People hqad such big expectations for Retro first game on Wii U knowing what the hardware is capable of. Most people see Retro studios for Nintendo the same as Naughty Dog for Sony. Look at what Naughty dog did on ps3 and they are already teasing what is coming for ps4. I just think any of the other development studios Nintendo has could have pulled this game off its a 2d sidescroller... seriously. Retro BETTER have another portion of their studio working on something that will be revealed before this year is out... I mean if you look at the staff they recently hired coming into this gen and around the time the Wii u was announced making another 2d donkey kong doesnt make sense. The guy they hired from Naughty Dog said the game he was working on for Wii U for retro would be the Biggest for his development career. Things arent adding up!

#6 Hunter

Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:57 AM

Donkey Kong Country Returns was by far the best 2D platformer of gen 7.

Plus the original Rayman games don't even come close to the original DKC games. It's only the more recent titles that have been amazing imo.

#7 Fig

Fig

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 418 posts
  • Fandom:
    Miyamoto franchises

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:10 AM

There's no such thing as "just another" Donkey Kong. It's the next Donkey Kong and it's quality and success are important. The game, overall, has a lot to live up to. Nintendo put one of their best developers on it. There is nothing wrong with that.

This game series has fans that have high expectations. I, for one, am glad that Nintendo is taking DKC:TF seriously. People saying Retro was wasted on this game is blatantly disrespectful to the DK series and it's fans. It is also a blatantly selfish statement.

Does Nintendo need more modern gaming franchises? Perhaps, but not at the expense of their most successful and cherished franchises.

Edited by Fig, 19 December 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#8 Gaymer

Gaymer

Xbox Fanboy?

• Members
  • 906 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:21 AM

In my opinion, DKCR was better than both of them combined.

#9 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:24 AM

The game looks amazing but new IP is always better and I look at how Sony brings new IP every console generation and those titles become flagship titles. I feel Nintendo should do that or try to do that, just expand the teams something so people can work on something new (that's not mini games aka all the wii sport, music, etc.)

Seriously you have no idea how much Xenoblade surprised me when I found out it was a Nintendo exclusive but that's pretty much the only new title Nintendo has produce the past idk 6 years that interest me. Again we all know Mario,Zelda, Metroid(hopefully something is made on wii u) are quality games for the most part at least(other M is horribly) but new titles should be welcomed by the community more so than just relying on franchises of old.

Edited by LinkKennedy, 19 December 2013 - 04:25 AM.

#10 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:26 AM

There's no such thing as "just another" Donkey Kong. It's the next Donkey Kong and it's quality and success are important. The game, overall, has a lot to live up to. Nintendo put one of their best developers on it. There is nothing wrong with that.

This game series has fans that have high expectations. I, for one, am glad that Nintendo is taking DKC:TF seriously. People saying Retro was wasted on this game is blatantly disrespectful to the DK series and it's fans. It is also a blatantly selfish statement.

Does Nintendo need more modern gaming franchises? Perhaps, but not at the expense of their most successful and cherished franchises.

We can agree to disagree but i am 100% sure any one of Nintendo other in house devs could create a great DK game. Retro is probably Nintendo's best western developer with the need to create something modern that EVERYONE was expecting they gave them this. i just hope all their devs arent developing this i hope they are working on another WiiU title at the same time that we can get a reveal before 2014 is out maybe even E3.

Edited by GAMER1984, 19 December 2013 - 04:26 AM.

#11 GCD

GCD

Red Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:39 AM

^^^You worry too much, play more games and have some fun, you know....fun, the thing you do with games.lol

#12 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:47 AM

And thats my main problem. Platformers are fun, bit instantly forgettable. They dont have anuthing 'more', and whats more, what makes them fun is absolutely NOT mutually exclusive to being simplistic. You can take the core mechanics of ANY style game and turn it into a deep adventure game that is far more intruiging and mentally stimulating.... AND has the excellent gameplay mechanics, its not an either or situation at all.

Its like Contra as opposed to metroid. Contra 3 was awesome fun. Super metroid was all that and MORE. It was an adventure.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#13 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:39 AM

In my opinion the creativity of the Rayman games blow Donkey Kong out of the water, but if your looking for difficulty then go Donkey Kong.

#14 Thrash13

Thrash13

Green Koopa Troopa

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Fandom:
    Mario Kart, Donkey Kong

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:46 AM

First off, it's Gamespot.  That makes the article "blah" as far as I'm concerned.  They pick every opportunity they have to trash what Nintendo is doing with the Wii U.  Just go over to IGN and see how they feel about DKC: TF.  It's quite the opposite reaction.  Anyone who has watched videos of this game can tell it's going to be another great game in the series.  Retro did what they did, and it's in the past.  And on top of that, they did a damn good job from what I've seen so far.  And besides, Nintendo would get bashed endlessly if there wasn't a Donkey Kong game for the Wii U.  It goes both ways people.  SMH.

#15 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:50 AM

First off, it's Gamespot.  That makes the article "blah" as far as I'm concerned.  They pick every opportunity they have to trash what Nintendo is doing with the Wii U.  Just go over to IGN and see how they feel about DKC: TF.  It's quite the opposite reaction.  Anyone who has watched videos of this game can tell it's going to be another great game in the series.  Retro did what they did, and it's in the past.  And on top of that, they did a damn good job from what I've seen so far.  And besides, Nintendo would get bashed endlessly if there wasn't a Donkey Kong game for the Wii U.  It goes both ways people.  SMH.

Read the actual article, its making you look really stupid.

And game spot just awarded link between worlds game of the year. No, not 3ds game of the year, not portable game of the year. Game of the year.

If you just make thoughtless braindead knee jerk reactions without actually knowing what you are talking about, you are no better than they are.

Its best to take a case by case approach, as wll as considering who wrote what, because as soon as you complacantly make assumptions, youve become what you were complaining about.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#16 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:17 AM

And game spot just awarded link between worlds game of the year. No, not 3ds game of the year, not portable game of the year. Game of the year.

If you just make thoughtless braindead knee jerk reactions without actually knowing what you are talking about, you are no better than they are.

To be fair, he just said they are trashing what Nintendo is doing with the Wii U, not what they are doing with the 3DS. So your argument is not really valid here, right?

Donkey Kong Country Returns was by far the best 2D platformer of gen 7.

Plus the original Rayman games don't even come close to the original DKC games. It's only the more recent titles that have been amazing imo.

In my opinion, DKCR was better than both of them combined.

Sure, maybe DKCR could be considered better (not by me though, I like Rayman better, even though DKCR is a great game too), but certainly not 1000x better.

#17 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:19 AM

POPULAR

Read the actual article, its making you look really stupid.

Honestly, I'm sorta with Thrash.

What this is sounding like to me is another person whining that Retro isn't making Metroid or another dudebro shooter, and taking it out on DKC:TF.

Not to mention this wonderful quote coming from the same person who lists NBA 2K14 as one of his favorite games of 2013: "I want the innovators to take charge, the people who won't play by the rules, who would rather die with ambition than thrive playing it safe."

As well as this brilliant quote: "In my hour with Tropical Freeze, I just don't see anything that makes this game special. Sometimes fun just isn't enough for me." Really? Having fun with a game isn't the most important part in wanting to buy it? It has to innovate in a thousand different ways too? I guess all sequels are in trouble then.

I've pretty much learned to disregard GameSpot when it comes to Nintendo reviews/articles/etc because usually, they're crap. Who can forget when they gave Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (A rather easy game...only died once or twice) a 6.5 because it was "too challenging," or when they gave Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy a 7 because "it refuses to step outside of its comfort zone," then turns around and slaps a 8/10 on Call of Duty and Battlefield 4 for sticking to its yearly churned-out formula with loads of bugs and godawful campaigns?

gaemz juranlism at itz fienst

And as for them giving Link Between Worlds their "favorite game of 2013"...well, a broken clock is right twice a day.

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#18 Happy Monk

Happy Monk

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • NNID:Happy_Monk
  • Fandom:
    Kirby + Dragonball mostly.

Posted 19 December 2013 - 07:25 AM

The game looks amazing but new IP is always better and I look at how Sony brings new IP every console generation and those titles become flagship titles. I feel Nintendo should do that or try to do that, just expand the teams something so people can work on something new (that's not mini games aka all the wii sport, music, etc.)

Seriously you have no idea how much Xenoblade surprised me when I found out it was a Nintendo exclusive but that's pretty much the only new title Nintendo has produce the past idk 6 years that interest me. Again we all know Mario,Zelda, Metroid(hopefully something is made on wii u) are quality games for the most part at least(other M is horribly) but new titles should be welcomed by the community more so than just relying on franchises of old.

Look at what you said. You said the only new title that has interested you. I've actually been very surprised to see the amount of new IPs from Nintendo over the past few years - yes, I know most of them have been download but still - the problem with new IPs is that they are that, new, which also means it is not known to the public, therefore it is much more of a gamble to pump a lot of money into a new IP that nobody has heard of. Nintendo have a whole wide range of notable franchises that people know and love, why not use them? This is why most of the new IPs Nintendo have released in the past couple of years (barring Xenoblade and Pandora's Tower and The Last story in Europe) has been a download game, they can test the waters, Look at Freakyforms, it was released as a download, it sold well and they pumped more money into making a fully fledged release and it came out with little to no fanfare, Steel Diver also a new IP came out to a very "meh" reaction.

As far as Donkey Kong goes, it is just as worthy as any other Nintendo game, the Wii U has only just been out for a year, it's not going to have Zelda or Metroid yet, just wait. Also, 3Dude, most of my most beloved memories of games come from platformers, I don't know why you'd buy into Nintendo if you disliked them as much as you do (except for Zelda). If you don't want Donkey Kong don't buy it, don't go around belittling the game, or the people making it. Just accept it and move on.

Bring the noise.

#19 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:21 AM

but uncharted 4 is okay, right? RIGHT?!

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#20 GAMER1984

GAMER1984

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,036 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:45 AM

but uncharted 4 is okay, right? RIGHT?!

Yeah after the last of us and I can guarantee they will make another new ip for ps4. I know sony is willing to put more money in than Nintendo but anyone that accepts retro working on a 2d platformer really I just disagree with them. That's like lebron james saying I am done with NBA let me go and try out for a college team...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!