Photo

When Do You Think Nintendo Will Announce Their Next Handheld Console?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 DéliopT

DéliopT

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  • NNID:DelioPT
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:47 AM

It depends.

If they go with their usual style, they announce in 2015 and release in 2016.

But, considering, that Sony and MS did well with announcing and releasing the same year, we might see everything just in 2016.

Like someone said, it comes down to how software sells. That being, if software sales really start falling this year and, given Nintendo`s plans of preparation for the next generation of handhelds (now in HD), it wouldn`t be surprising to see a release late next year or early 2016.

#22 Envy

Envy

Thwomp

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • NNID:WoodwindsRock
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Pokemon, Paper Mario, SSB

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:00 AM

It's hard to say. The system is a massive success, and that leads me to believe it will be here a while longer. Especially considering that the DS lasted a long time, like seven years. It was so long, I felt that it definitely overstayed its welcome. I do not yet feel that with the 3DS at all.

Still, I'm wondering exactly what all Nintendo's going to have software-wise for the 3DS beyond here. It was odd, because the 3DS started with such a long drought, but then Nintendo released a ton of their big franchise releases in just two years time. Practically all of Mario's main and spinoff series are present now, as are Nintendo's heaviest hitting handheld series like Pokemon and Animal Crossing. Of course, more could still come out of Pokemon, but outside of that and maybe a surprise Metroid or Star Fox title (if it's even realistic to expect either, I wouldn't know, just throwing it out there), it doesn't seem like Nintendo has much more big releases they can throw to keep the 3DS from going back into drought territory before too long.

Maybe I'm thinking too narrowly here, and Nintendo still has plenty left they could release, but I'm not seeing it. I think they jammed far too many of their titles into a very short span. While it has been great for us having so many games to buy, it looks like it could be a different story going forward. I mean all of the 3DS games I've had to look forward to are now released, aside from maybe SSB4, but I'm more excited for the Wii U version of it, anyway.

It will be interesting to see what they do, if they keep pushing the 3DS on for a couple of more years. I just hope we don't go back into "no games" territory. It's been a feeling that has been far too familiar as a Nintendo fan in the last several years.

Edited by Envy, 13 January 2014 - 09:01 AM.

-

woodwinds3.jpg

#23 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:30 AM

So then how come the S-Pen is so popular right now? And the reason why Note users look down upon other phones? Because the pen will always be more acurate. I know I'm compaing apps vs games here, but the point remains the same. Pushmo controlled by fingers? That seems like a gimmich. Even as smartphone games get more advanced, their still kinda gimicky and not as put together as Pokemon, or Zelda. And if finger controll is so popular, wheres the Vita's popularity?

Its popular because hipster scum don't know how to move on. Lets be seriously though, one device in a market which is primary capacitive isn't impressive at all. Capacitive's issues are being worked out at a rapid pace. While with resistive since its dying, its problems won't be solve.  GIMMICKY? LOL Are you seriously? ROB, the Power Glove,  the Virtual Boy, the Pikachu Microphone, Motion Controls, 3D, a Giant Freakin Tablet'! Nintendo has always relied on gimmicks.  Pushmo using your fingers would work so well. Hence the name "Push", you could push objects with your fingers and the casuals will go crazy for it. More developers like Capcom, SE, and Sega are slowly shifting to the smartphone market instead of handhelds, you can't deny this. 

Miyamoto was interviewed in 2012, and he said that the 3DS had already was the winner of this gen and that they were focusing on transitioning into the developement of the successor to the 3DS. We'll definitely see it in 2015 and a Spring 2016 launch. 

You people are insane if you think Nintendo can continue to release low specs systems and hope for the best. 

Edited by Zinix, 13 January 2014 - 09:34 AM.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#24 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

Once the 3DS has 80 - 100 million sold.

I don't think they look for numbers. I doubt theyd release a new system when it reached those sales if they were still selling quickly, because then theyd just be competing against themselves (I mean seriously, its not like the vita is competition anymore)

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#25 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:23 AM

3DS just a gimmick! Tablets and Phones will take over! Fire Emblem? Zelda? Mario?

Princess Crown? PFFT!

X3WqpIx.gif

BEHOLD OUR POWER YOU OUTDATED NINTENDO THING!

3DS WATCH OUT YOU SILLY GIMMICK MACHINE! WE BE COMIN BIZNITS!

Edited by Ryudo, 13 January 2014 - 10:25 AM.

#26 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:26 AM

3DS just a gimmick! Tablets and Phones will take over! Fire Emblem? Zelda? Mario?

Princess Crown? PFFT!

X3WqpIx.gif

Ugh you sound like iJustine...

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#27 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:27 AM

Ugh you sound like iJustine...

I be mocking naysayers like Zin and everyone else saying the same tripe about tablets taking over and more powerful crud. Also I'd pork her.

Edited by Ryudo, 13 January 2014 - 10:29 AM.

#28 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

I be mocking naysayers like Zin and everyone else saying the same tripe about tablets taking over and more powerful crud. Also I'd pork her.

LOL I know what youre doing. I mentioned iJustine cause she said something similar in her 3DS review. Seriously, have you seen that thing? It should be illegal to pork"anything that stupid...

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#29 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:46 AM

Not seen anything of hers since the whole Revision 3 2008 christmas song debacle.

#30 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 13 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

2017 or 2018 will probably bring us the successor if you ask me.

Edited by Alex Wolfers, 13 January 2014 - 11:30 AM.

Signature_DK.png

#31 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 13 January 2014 - 12:08 PM

It'll either launch or be shown at e3 next year, 2015.

The patent royalty is not something Nintendo will enjoy, while they shift focus away from 3D in the 2DS.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#32 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:11 PM

Part of me hopes they don't get rid of 3D. I'll admit it's annoying in some games, but others (like LBW and Adventure Time). it's noce and actually is useful.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#33 Lupaie

Lupaie

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,045 posts
  • NNID:Lupaie
  • Fandom:
    Banjo, F-Zero, Gears, Bioshock and Zelda

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

The 3DS does have a library, but you can support a system for so long until the audience gets sick of the aging tech and gimmick that isn't even used anymore

I used to think so, some games added a bit with 3d but I think A link between Worlds shows that the 3d is not a gimmick. Never before have I played a 3ds game with 3d function switched to max all the time. It gives the game more character and some puzzles and effects just need the 3d.

Edited by Lupaie, 13 January 2014 - 02:25 PM.

What the world needs is more geniuses with humility, there are so few of us left

#34 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:56 PM

Part of me hopes they don't get rid of 3D. I'll admit it's annoying in some games, but others (like LBW and Adventure Time). it's noce and actually is useful.

Wait is i just nice, or is it

L1LRnMO.gif

Not seen anything of hers since the whole Revision 3 2008 christmas song debacle.

What's that? O_o

Anyway, this is what made m hate her. Prepare for brain cell loss :3

Edited by BlackWydrA, 13 January 2014 - 02:29 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#35 Gnomishek

Gnomishek

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 03:09 PM

I would go with Summer 2015 announcement, followed by Spring 2016 release.

Молоту войн и рокоту гроз вольные рати верны, где ветром могучим из братины звёзд рунные стяги пьяны.

#36 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:32 PM

Princess Crown? PFFT!

X3WqpIx.gif

4003_2.jpg

lmfao calibration issues. 

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#37 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

Seems like hardware is cycling faster than it used to.  While I love my 3ds- and feel that it has a few years left in it- it does feel dated in some ways.  Given how hardware struggles in the beginning anyway, I think they should release a more powerful version with a better screen- but not really unlock the extra power to developers for a year or so and do it gradually.

You know it's funny. Every time the smartphone argument gets brought up Nintendo just proves them wrong. I think the 3DS will last at least as long as the DS because the DS created a genuine market for games where the Wii was more of a gimmick. The 3DS is selling like hot cakes because this market wants the next gen of the DS stuff. I'd say 2018 will be around the time we get a new console. We got the 3DS in 2011 so that's a 7 year lifespan. The Library is all you need to look at to know the 3DS has a lot of life in it. The second wave of games were just released this past year. We've got at least 2 more big waves of games before the 3DS shows age and 3 before we get to its successor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!