Photo

What is your take on buying and using official game guides? Are they worth it?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 K-Dawg

K-Dawg

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 01:59 AM

So I'm thinking of buying my first official game guide for Assassins Creed 4 Black Flag. Do game guides really help or are they just more of a collector piece? I know you can go online if you get stuck but I felt that opening a book for quick reference might be handier. Are the easy to understand or instead rather confusing. What say you?

#2 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:04 AM

Depends on game complexities and games subject to change through online updates or newer editions. Games that are simple and remain static aren't really gonna need them, but collectathons are tend to be untasteful ass nowadays.

Edited by Auzzie Wingman, 17 January 2014 - 02:05 AM.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#3 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:06 AM

Strat guides used to be one of those things that might be needed. I think they always had a collecting appeal to them in the past for artwork. In some cases the Guides themselves were as much a treasure as the games. EarthBoud guide for example. Now they are irrelevent in the era of YouTube,Online walkthroughs. Why you see many more collectors editions guides now. That is all they really are. Collectors pieces. That said they to me are not much of CP's for yearly released games. Ni no Kuni. Yes. AC ehhhh.... CoD HA No.

If you want one get one. Just know they run like 25-30 dollars these days. Also as a collectors note most SG's even to very loved classics most are never worth much. Few times they are. usually on hard to find games themselves. So if making a future investment. Not worth it.

Last when I used to get guides on a regular basis. I always liked Prima. they were nicely organizd where Brady was often a mess. Versus books had nice posters. Don't even know if Versus is still around.

Edited by Ryudo, 17 January 2014 - 02:10 AM.

#4 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:13 AM

yeah, mostly for collecting.

I've never bought one, but I am thinking of the Zelda collection. it'd be fun to just read the entire book (after beating the game), to see what you missed or other trivia that's not in the game itself. But there's already a lot of online strategy guides or walkthroughs, and sometimes a quick google search will give you the answer to something you're stuck on without spoiling something else for you.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#5 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:16 AM

Depends what game. Some games have complex strategies (Black Flag online is complex enough I guess) that you just need the strategy guide for (W101). Any games that aren't that complex you can probably just use Miiverse for. I mean, that's what Miiverse is for, right?

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#6 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:30 AM

Anyone ever draw up thier own maps as a kid? Used to do tis in the 80's and 90's. (esp for Zelda NES if you didn't have the POWER) Most kids did. I still have my OoT paper I wrote all the songs on before I had the guide. Some games like the SEGA Master System game Miracle Warriors came with a large map. Not as some bonus no. They didn't do that then. The map was needed to play the game. MW might be best described but still a crude comparison,the Skyrim of its day. The map was so massive and came with a figure. It was so as you played the game you move your figure to where you are in the game so you know where you are. No pressing B for map then :P. Game is probably more well know for it's nude green demon woman artwok in Japan. Game was out in the US but had typical SMS art.

#7 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 02:35 AM

Anyone ever draw up thier own maps as a kid? Used to do tis in the 80's and 90's. (esp for Zelda NES if you didn't have the POWER) Most kids did.

I for sure didn't do this. Not even for Phantom Hourglass when the frog island tried to force mt to. I just walked around until i could visualize the shape of the island.

I'd imagine my cartography skills would be really terrible.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#8 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 17 January 2014 - 06:44 AM

Anyone ever draw up thier own maps as a kid? Used to do tis in the 80's and 90's. (esp for Zelda NES if you didn't have the POWER) Most kids did. I still have my OoT paper I wrote all the songs on before I had the guide. Some games like the SEGA Master System game Miracle Warriors came with a large map. Not as some bonus no. They didn't do that then. The map was needed to play the game. MW might be best described but still a crude comparison,the Skyrim of its day. The map was so massive and came with a figure. It was so as you played the game you move your figure to where you are in the game so you know where you are. No pressing B for map then :P. Game is probably more well know for it's nude green demon woman artwok in Japan. Game was out in the US but had typical SMS art.

I still do this when playing old games that don't automatically map for you. The most recent example is Mother 1.

#9 Hank Hill

Hank Hill

Propaniac

• Moderators
  • 2,203 posts
  • NNID:GameCollector
  • Fandom:
    Professor Layton, inFAMOUS

Posted 17 January 2014 - 07:02 AM

The only strategy guides I feel are worth getting are Pokemon guides or guides to the Elder Scrolls games, mostly because with the revelation of the internet, game guides have become mostly unnecessary. Why pay $20-30 for something I can easily figure out on my own, or look up online?

GameZombie44.png

The post above was certified to be simply smashing by the Wii U Forum Staff.

http://www.ebay.com/...mecollector1982

#10 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

I for sure didn't do this. Not even for Phantom Hourglass when the frog island tried to force mt to. I just walked around until i could visualize the shape of the island.

I'd imagine my cartography skills would be really terrible.

Whale... It was a Whale shaped island... :P

I have never felt strategy guides were worthhile.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#11 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:41 AM

Long time ago I use to buy and use them. But it seems like it takes from the game so I stop buying them.

If I get stuck on a game for a while (some hrs) then I'll hit online and look for help just on that part then I'm back to the game.

I got ac4 and I know there is tons of hidden stuff, but I feel that I should find them on my own or not at all.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#12 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 17 January 2014 - 09:56 AM

it really depends on the game and how much complexity/secrets are within the game. I had to use guides going in to the Disgaea series because for starters I wasn't familiar with tactical RPGs and there's also just so many tricks in that game that having a guide just makes the process that much more enjoyable. 

For something like AC? Psshh, no. In fact I'd it's pointless to use a guide on the majority of modern games these days. Unless of course there's something really F'd up in the game that you could never know about without prior knowledge (looking at you Zodiac Lance from FFXII).

pNgecl.gif

#13 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:50 AM

Whale... It was a Whale shaped island... :P

I have never felt strategy guides were worthhile.

i know that. It's the frog where the king island lives and i didn't want to spoil the puzzle.

#14 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 11:43 AM

I'm tempted to get Super Mario 3d World and Wind Waker......

#15 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 04:22 PM

I'm tempted to get Super Mario 3d World and Wind Waker......

Wind waker first.

#16 K-Dawg

K-Dawg

Goomba

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 January 2014 - 05:23 PM

I ordered AC III & IV in the hardback editions. Found good prices on Amazon. May get 3D WORLD also. Not a fan of Windwaker. It looks too old school. That may change when the new Zelda comes out. If I don't use them I will just collect them for fun.

#17 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 17 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

If I were to buy a guide it would probably for collecting purposes. If I want help I'll look to the internet

#18 DanJiblets

DanJiblets

Bullet Bill

• Members
  • 357 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo, Halo

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:23 AM

Draw maps as a kid lol, I'm 29 and was drawing maps and game notes with Wind Waker HD. My girlfriend was concerned.

#19 Guy Fieri

Guy Fieri

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:58 AM

I do have some game guides (Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Batman, Mario Kart Wii, NSMB Wii, and Bowser's Inside Story). But I really don't see the need for official guides when I can just look up one online, unless you're collecting them, which I don't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!