Hunter

Cheetah

• Members
  • 1,664 posts
  • NNID:Mr.Orange
  • Fandom:
    spyro, crash bandicoot, prince of persia

Posted 19 January 2014 - 11:40 AM

Xenoblade is easily on that level. Although it doesnt help you much since you cant stand jrpg's (which are actually traditional Wrpg's, since they are all inspired by, and styled precisely in accordance to ultima, specifically ultima 3. RIP Orion, burn in hell EA).

But I definately see where you are coming from. Aside from X, and bayo 2, I have practically nothing on wii u, Zilch. And being that you cant play jrpg's for whatever reason, you have 50% less than that.

I just don't enjoy RPGs in general really. I don't hate them or anything, I would just rather play other genres.

I know that Xenoblade is apparently amazing for people who do enjoy RPGs and that's great. unfortunately as you pointed out, for those of us who don't enjoy those sort of games there are no new Wii U titles this year, only additions to franchises that have been going for years.

#42 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:51 PM

I don't see why Iwata needs to resign, I just think Nintendo needs to look around at the market and what others are doing.  Oh, and obviously they should have advertised more in their one year lead. 

#43 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:36 PM

I don't see why Iwata needs to resign, I just think Nintendo needs to look around at the market and what others are doing.  Oh, and obviously they should have advertised more in their one year lead. 

They also need to build stronger ties with third party developers.

#44 Kyle1503

Kyle1503

Cheep-Cheep

• Members
  • 124 posts
  • NNID:Kyle1503
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo

Posted 19 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

Iwata should stay with the company but not be the CEO! They need someone who knows what the fan base want!

#45 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:47 AM

I could see lack of third party support (although, who buys Nintendo for third party games?) and the 32GB of storage (which can be expanded easily and cheaply) but I have never in my life heard anyone who say that They don't want a Wii U because of the controller. I mean, never in my life. Please, send a link of a review who says that. Or a forum of multiple people saying that. There might be a few, just like a few who don't like motion controllers. But a few isn't the majority of people. Or a lot.

Also, lighting didn't strike once with the Wii. Nintendo did their research and created the DS as a test for the casual market. They even had an HD system waiting to be released and probably a Game Boy Advanced 2 ready to ship if the DS failed. The reason? They didn't know if the DS would succeed (remember the DS being the "third arm" of Nintendo, and the Game Boy brand isn't going away? Hmmm). But it did. So Nintendo moved forward with the GCN 2.0 (Wii) and put a stop on the GCN HD (which probably was the Wii U). They then created a market for casual gamers, or rather discovered it.

Problem is, the true test of that market is whether or nit Nintendo can convince casuals to buy Wii U. Right now, they have failed at that because they haven't tried. I mean they don't even advertise it had Netflix or Amazon or TVii. Stuff casual gamers would like.

And there lies the marketing problem. Not the name. I mean come on, the forth and fifth iPad us called iPad. If that isn't confusing, how is the Wii U name confusing? No, the problem with marketing is they don't have a clear message. They need one.

But the biggest problem is software. They don't have it yet, but games are coming.

The issue surrounding a lack of third party support is really hurting Nintendo. It puts extra strain on Nintendo's development teams to get games out onto the systems because if they don't, then droughts like the one in 2013 happen. If your SKU's are sat on the shelves of shops for months or in the stock rooms that costs a company money. Third party support is vital and Nintendo seriously needs to get more third party developers on board. Sony and Microsoft have the right balance between exclusive first and third party titles and multiplatform games and that's why their consoles will appeal to a wider audience of gamers than the Wii U ever will.

The 32Gb storage can be easily sorted out and while it is cheap, Nintendo should have included a much larger harddrive in the console. When your competitors are throwing in 500gb HD's into the console, you need to match them and sorry but 32gb just isn't enough, especially when Nintendo are really pushing digital downloading.

Also if you go onto multiple forums, lots of gamers when discussing the Wii U point out the tablet controller, the lack of storage, the lack of third party software and the weaker CPU/GPU combo as reasons why they won't touch the console. You say Nintendo did their research with the Wii and that may well be entirely true, it's just a shame they didn't do the same level of research with the Wii U because those casual gamers Nintendo targeted with the Wii are no longer a viable market for Nintendo to attract. Wii Party U, Wii U Fit and any other casual remake from the Wii days won't bring those gamers back on board, they're long gone.

Why pay £250 for a console and £39.99-£45.99 for a game when you get a smartphone on a contract and then buy games for £0.99 in the application store? Or you just keep the Wii and pick up loads of cheap games for it.

As for the message, it's too little, too late, sometimes your first impression is your last impression and many of the ignorant stereotypes about the Wii U are here to stay and no amount of marketing will alter the widespread impressions and attitudes surrounding the Wii U.

As you say the last line of defence are the games and while I'm overally excited about the upcoming Wii U games will gamers who haven't bought a Wii U or have no real intention of purchasing a Wii U buy one? I hope so, but there is a real possibility that the Wii U will sell less units than the Gamecube (another brilliant console).

#46 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:03 AM

The issue surrounding a lack of third party support is really hurting Nintendo. It puts extra strain on Nintendo's development teams to get games out onto the systems because if they don't, then droughts like the one in 2013 happen. If your SKU's are sat on the shelves of shops for months or in the stock rooms that costs a company money. Third party support is vital and Nintendo seriously needs to get more third party developers on board. Sony and Microsoft have the right balance between exclusive first and third party titles and multiplatform games and that's why their consoles will appeal to a wider audience of gamers than the Wii U ever will.

The 32Gb storage can be easily sorted out and while it is cheap, Nintendo should have included a much larger harddrive in the console. When your competitors are throwing in 500gb HD's into the console, you need to match them and sorry but 32gb just isn't enough, especially when Nintendo are really pushing digital downloading.

Also if you go onto multiple forums, lots of gamers when discussing the Wii U point out the tablet controller, the lack of storage, the lack of third party software and the weaker CPU/GPU combo as reasons why they won't touch the console. You say Nintendo did their research with the Wii and that may well be entirely true, it's just a shame they didn't do the same level of research with the Wii U because those casual gamers Nintendo targeted with the Wii are no longer a viable market for Nintendo to attract. Wii Party U, Wii U Fit and any other casual remake from the Wii days won't bring those gamers back on board, they're long gone.

Why pay £250 for a console and £39.99-£45.99 for a game when you get a smartphone on a contract and then buy games for £0.99 in the application store? Or you just keep the Wii and pick up loads of cheap games for it.

As for the message, it's too little, too late, sometimes your first impression is your last impression and many of the ignorant stereotypes about the Wii U are here to stay and no amount of marketing will alter the widespread impressions and attitudes surrounding the Wii U.

As you say the last line of defence are the games and while I'm overally excited about the upcoming Wii U games will gamers who haven't bought a Wii U or have no real intention of purchasing a Wii U buy one? I hope so, but there is a real possibility that the Wii U will sell less units than the Gamecube (another brilliant console).

I won't sit here and tell you third party games wouldn't help Nintendo. I don't believe multiplats will help Nintendo, but exclusive third party games would be nice.

However, Nintendo tried that. Twice now. They launched the 3DS and Wii U with little first party support, and mostly third party support. Guess what? People complained WHERE are your games? They didn't care about the third party titles. It wasn't like those third party titles were crap. Assassin Creed 3 and CoD were some of the titles released. And guess what? The only Mario game out there - which was 2D - outsold them.

It's clear to third parties that people buy Nintendo for Nintendo. Look at the past. GCN? The biggest selling games was first or second party. Same for the DS. Wii. 3DS and same for the Wii U. There isn't anything Nintendo can do besides give them their IP and let them make a game for them. They could also try what they are doing with Bayanotta and what they did with Lego City Undercover. But, that can only be done on limited basis.

Here is the thing. Lets just say your right and people say they won't buy the Wii U JUST because of the tablet controller. You liken that to Xbox One's Kinnect, which by the way I heard people say they don't like the Kinnect. Um, how well did the Xbox One sell? Pretty bad right? Didn't even sell one million units!!!! Wait ... No, that didn't happen. It sold very well.

So wait, you're telling me people didn't want the Kinnect, but still bought an Xbox One? Why would they do that?

Games. That's why. Once again, we come back to GAMES. Nintendo needs GAMES. They have GAMES coming. They just need MORE GAMES coming. Which, I am sure they do.

Nintendo has been in those spot before. The 3DS went from being a flop to being the best selling console of 2013. Two years after it was released. What changed? Nintendo was able to release THEIR games.

Final point. Nintendo doesn't need to attract only Xbox and PS gamers. They need to mainly attract ppl who bought a 3DS. 30 million plus 3DS sold in two years. What if every 3DS owner bought a Wii U? It would then out sell the GCN. They need to attract the Nintendo fans who buy multiple consoles. The same gamers who bought a Wii360 or a PS3Wii. If they do that, then they can easily sell 70 million plus units. Easily.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#47 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:39 AM

I won't sit here and tell you third party games wouldn't help Nintendo. I don't believe multiplats will help Nintendo, but exclusive third party games would be nice.

However, Nintendo tried that. Twice now. They launched the 3DS and Wii U with little first party support, and mostly third party support. Guess what? People complained WHERE are your games? They didn't care about the third party titles. It wasn't like those third party titles were crap. Assassin Creed 3 and CoD were some of the titles released. And guess what? The only Mario game out there - which was 2D - outsold them.

It's clear to third parties that people buy Nintendo for Nintendo. Look at the past. GCN? The biggest selling games was first or second party. Same for the DS. Wii. 3DS and same for the Wii U. There isn't anything Nintendo can do besides give them their IP and let them make a game for them. They could also try what they are doing with Bayanotta and what they did with Lego City Undercover. But, that can only be done on limited basis.

Here is the thing. Lets just say your right and people say they won't buy the Wii U JUST because of the tablet controller. You liken that to Xbox One's Kinnect, which by the way I heard people say they don't like the Kinnect. Um, how well did the Xbox One sell? Pretty bad right? Didn't even sell one million units!!!! Wait ... No, that didn't happen. It sold very well.

So wait, you're telling me people didn't want the Kinnect, but still bought an Xbox One? Why would they do that?

Games. That's why. Once again, we come back to GAMES. Nintendo needs GAMES. They have GAMES coming. They just need MORE GAMES coming. Which, I am sure they do.

Nintendo has been in those spot before. The 3DS went from being a flop to being the best selling console of 2013. Two years after it was released. What changed? Nintendo was able to release THEIR games.

Final point. Nintendo doesn't need to attract only Xbox and PS gamers. They need to mainly attract ppl who bought a 3DS. 30 million plus 3DS sold in two years. What if every 3DS owner bought a Wii U? It would then out sell the GCN. They need to attract the Nintendo fans who buy multiple consoles. The same gamers who bought a Wii360 or a PS3Wii. If they do that, then they can easily sell 70 million plus units. Easily.

You're right Nintendo games outsell third party titles on Nintendo systems and this is one of the reasons third party developers abstain from Nintendo systems. However you're forgetting that AC III and Black Ops II were available on the 360 and PS3, therefore there wasn't really any incentive for people who owned those systems to go out and pick up a Wii U. Now had Mario Kart 8 and Zelda U been released alongside them, some of those gamers may well have gone out and bought a Wii U for the Nintendo first party games and then may have added AC III and Black Ops II to their collection.

People care more about first party titles, you're right, but they also care about third party games, both are important.

Games are important, but give it a few years and the PS4 will have outsold the Xbox One substantially. It's going to be a white wash, the reason the PS4 hasn't beaten the Xbox One to a pulp already is because they have spread themselves too thinly across the globe. Walk into most shops and you'll see a plethora of Xbox One's, now ask the customer service assistant for a PS4. It's akin to finding a needle in a haystack. People don't want devices like the Kinect and tablet controller forced onto them.

Also I hope you're right and I hope the Wii U does become another 3DS and makes Nintendo an overall net profit. I want Nintendo to be successful, but the fact is a company with their experience in the market they're in shouldn't be making these mistakes. The fact that they messed up with the 3DS and the Wii U should set alarm bells ringing.

If Nintendo feel their current approach and the approach they have taken for the best part of two decades is working for them, then so be it, but I don't think it's working very well anymore and I'm delighted to hear Iwata come out and say that Nintendo wants to change course. I hope they do change course and come back hungerier, more ambitious and competitive than ever before and because this industry would be poorer without Nintendo's presence.

You just cannot replace Nintendo's franchises, they are irreplaceable and priceless.

#48 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 05:24 AM

You're right Nintendo games outsell third party titles on Nintendo systems and this is one of the reasons third party developers abstain from Nintendo systems. However you're forgetting that AC III and Black Ops II were available on the 360 and PS3, therefore there wasn't really any incentive for people who owned those systems to go out and pick up a Wii U. Now had Mario Kart 8 and Zelda U been released alongside them, some of those gamers may well have gone out and bought a Wii U for the Nintendo first party games and then may have added AC III and Black Ops II to their collection.

People care more about first party titles, you're right, but they also care about third party games, both are important.

Games are important, but give it a few years and the PS4 will have outsold the Xbox One substantially. It's going to be a white wash, the reason the PS4 hasn't beaten the Xbox One to a pulp already is because they have spread themselves too thinly across the globe. Walk into most shops and you'll see a plethora of Xbox One's, now ask the customer service assistant for a PS4. It's akin to finding a needle in a haystack. People don't want devices like the Kinect and tablet controller forced onto them.

Also I hope you're right and I hope the Wii U does become another 3DS and makes Nintendo an overall net profit. I want Nintendo to be successful, but the fact is a company with their experience in the market they're in shouldn't be making these mistakes. The fact that they messed up with the 3DS and the Wii U should set alarm bells ringing.

If Nintendo feel their current approach and the approach they have taken for the best part of two decades is working for them, then so be it, but I don't think it's working very well anymore and I'm delighted to hear Iwata come out and say that Nintendo wants to change course. I hope they do change course and come back hungerier, more ambitious and competitive than ever before and because this industry would be poorer without Nintendo's presence.

You just cannot replace Nintendo's franchises, they are irreplaceable and priceless.

Actually, I am not forgetting that those games were on other platforms. In fact, I believe earlier I said multiplats don't help Nintendo for that exact reason. However, ZombiU did not come out on any other platform, and still Mario (2D) outsold it. And that was Nintendo's big game they pushed at E3 2012.

I don't know who is going to win this generation or not. I'm nit speculating on that. However, people who did not like the Kinnect have bought the Xbox One. Over three million people so far. So, it's obvious to Microsoft and third party developers that MS made the right choice putting the Kinnect built into the console.

Finally, every company makes mistakes. In fact, the problem is pretty simple here. They learned there mistake in 2011 with the 3DS. However, they didn't anticipate making high quality HD games would take as long as it did. Which put them behind. Maybe they should have pushed the launch back, but that would have hurt third party developers because they were gearing up for a 2012 launch.

However, now they should be able to get more games. Mario Kart 8 will sell Wii U's. Super Smash Bros will sell Wii U's. I'm not sure about Bayanatta. And X will help sell units in Japan.

To end, yes it is good Iwata realizes his company needs to change. I just want to know more details on how he plans on changing.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#49 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 21 January 2014 - 07:46 AM

Frankly I'd say you're both right. The Wii U didn't have the compelling software from neither first nor third party. Third party support is important, but it's also important to question what 'kind' of third party support is important? Frankly in terms of 'big' titles I'd say the Wii U did alright in its first year. It got 2 CoDs, 2 ACs, and Batman. On the other systems those are known as 'AAA system sellers' but they aren't on the Wii U, why? 

1) Demographics. Sure, Nintendo was able to woo over a few third parties for this first year, but the problem is they went after the wrong third parties. CoD and AC are huge games to be sure, but the problem is that the majority of the demographic that those games appeal to are already perfectly content with their PS3/4 and 360/Bone. They have zero interest nor desire to move to another piece of hardware. Sony and Microsoft have the bro gamer demographics in their palms and they aren't going anywhere. Nintendo was stupid to think those games would bring more people in. Don't get me wrong, it's good those games are on the system but there are others Nintendo should have been shooting for. People who are interested in those types of games typically aren't interested in Nintendo at all and people who love Nintendo typically don't care for those types of games. (I know I'm generalizing but for the most part it's true.)

2) 'Definitive Edition'. This one is self-explanatory, and it has to do with Wii U versions of games either missing out on content or being gimped. We've seen this a lot the past year and honestly Nintendo should have never let it happen. Third parties releasing crap or incomplete versions of their games on this system is, for most people, the same as them not being on the system at all. Nintendo could have all the third party games they want but if they're widely considered as 'inferior' then it doesn't matter. 

Nintendo needs good third party support, but it needs the kind that will resonate with people who like their games to begin with. Dark Souls, Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid, etc. These are the kinds of games that I think would make a real difference on the system because they're popular with more oldschool styled gamers who also seem to like Nintendo's software more. 

pNgecl.gif

#50 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 21 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

I think now it has come to a point where if he cannot boost Sales figures in comparison with last years sales then he should appoint someone with fresh new ideas, with a hard business nose and step down gracefully. I think by Dec 31st 2014 he needs to have sold 9.6 million Wii Us making a total of 14.4 million SKUs which is an average of 171, 428  SKUs a week which if you look at other consoles still isn't great, but it's a start to building a solid foundation for the console and would put my faith back in Iwata

#51 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:02 AM

Actually, I am not forgetting that those games were on other platforms. In fact, I believe earlier I said multiplats don't help Nintendo for that exact reason. However, ZombiU did not come out on any other platform, and still Mario (2D) outsold it. And that was Nintendo's big game they pushed at E3 2012.

I don't know who is going to win this generation or not. I'm nit speculating on that. However, people who did not like the Kinnect have bought the Xbox One. Over three million people so far. So, it's obvious to Microsoft and third party developers that MS made the right choice putting the Kinnect built into the console.

Finally, every company makes mistakes. In fact, the problem is pretty simple here. They learned there mistake in 2011 with the 3DS. However, they didn't anticipate making high quality HD games would take as long as it did. Which put them behind. Maybe they should have pushed the launch back, but that would have hurt third party developers because they were gearing up for a 2012 launch.

However, now they should be able to get more games. Mario Kart 8 will sell Wii U's. Super Smash Bros will sell Wii U's. I'm not sure about Bayanatta. And X will help sell units in Japan.

To end, yes it is good Iwata realizes his company needs to change. I just want to know more details on how he plans on changing.

Multiplatform games do help console gamers make a final decision of which console that they'll purchase unless they are passionate fans of a particular brand. Gamers want great first and second party games, great exclusive games and great multiplatform games, they want a wide range of choice, more so now then ever before.

Some people who dislike the Kinect 2.0, but who are brand loyal to the Xbox brand have indeed or will indeed purchase an Xbox One, but there will be many gamers who will switch sides. Microsoft will lose a percentage of market share to Sony because of the Kinect, because of the whole 'multi-media' stuff.

Sony is the only company this generation that has really listened to what gamers want and the response is 4.2 million sales within five weeks and that's without a wide variety of exclusive first party games, exclusive third party games. Microsoft is doing well with all things considered, but once the PS4 becomes widely available I expect the lead between the PS4 and the Xbox One to only expand further.

Whether you'll agree with me or not, I think Nintendo is suffering from a lack of first party games, but also a lack of third party games. Some of the most anticipated third party games are not coming to the Wii U at all and this will impact sales and only enhance the sales of the other two consoles.

While I don't disagree with your point that Nintendo's first party games will increase sales, I wonder just how big their impact is. I really thought Super Mario 3D World would have a massive impact on sales of the Wii U and while it has improved sales, the impact has been minimal at best and quite underwhelming. I hope Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros and Zelda U will make more of an impact, but as you say only time will tell.

Lastly Nintendo have made a complete hash of the 3DS and then the Wii U launch and when it comes to learning from their mistakes, Nintendo hasn't shown that it has learned. I hope Iwata will recognise that it is Nintendo's hardware that is a major problem, especially when the specification is sacrificed for gimmicky controllers, their marketing is a massive problem and they lack the infrastructure in place to develop for both their handheld consoles and their home consoles.

Nintendo has the money, the reputation and the acumen to change their fortunes around, but I really don't think Iwata is the man to lead Nintendo into the future.

Nintendo needs good third party support, but it needs the kind that will resonate with people who like their games to begin with. Dark Souls, Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate, Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Metal Gear Solid, etc. These are the kinds of games that I think would make a real difference on the system because they're popular with more oldschool styled gamers who also seem to like Nintendo's software more. 

I agree with this part, but I think Nintendo should be looking at getting as much third party support on board and yes I agree that Nintendo shouldn't allow inferior versions of third party games on the Wii U. However Nintendo isn't really in a position to play hard ball with third party developers. If Ubisoft and Activision pull away from the Wii U then there's going to be even less games coming out onto the Wii U.

#52 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:29 AM

Im hoping Iwata has learned, as he admitted he 'misread the market' and 'needs to pay better attention to foreign trends'.

I dont like Nintendo screwing the pooch like they have, like for example, spend not good amounts of resources on an audience that no longer exists (how many damn 2d platformers and wii style games er there? Like you said, those people have no intention whatsoever of upgrading to a wii u, and without them, the saturation point for all those samey type games is much lower).

But, and this is important, Iwata is not a businessman. He is a game developer, which is why I find it absolutely imperative that he stays, mistakes and all. He is Honest ands transparent, to a fault, and he must show, that his way can succeed, that honestly great games, cans stand on their own merits, and make money, because they are damn good.

He is probably the only thing standing between Nintendo and becoming just another disgusting sleazy cog in the crap wheel if say, a businesman took over as ceo.

As of right now, Nintendo doesnt buy reviews, black ball reviewers, or offer 'assignments' for illegal stalth advertising via Ronku. He actually talks DIRECTLY to the consumer base, Nintendo directs have become the DE FACTO release points for new games, no exclusives from media outlets, they dont find out about it until we do. Which means Nintendo doesnt use information to leverage media perception to its advantadge. Which is something ALL of the third parties you are mentioning do, heavily. Its disgusting, and come to think of it, is probably yet another peice to the huge pile on why most third parties arent touching the system, nintendo, Iwata said 'NO' to their underhanded practices like Ronku assignemnts for wii u versions of games.

Remember, Nintendo DID have HUGE third party backing, 'UNPRECEDENTED PARTNERSHIPS' That dissolved before the system ever even released and sales became a factor.

In the current disgusting state they are in. I dont WANT most third party multiplat games on my wii u. They are bad games, that are fraudulantly advertised as functional by paid off, literally MILLIONS of shills who dont state they are shills, as bound by their contract to the third parties, and praised by bought, or bullied press, resulting in millions of people unsuspectingly buying unfinished, broken products, and turning them into huge 'hits'.

No. Going that way is the end. Even if sales improve its a hollow victory.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#53 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:40 AM

Well Nintendo needs to do something because they're fast becoming irrelevant in the home console market.

The fact remains the Wii U's tablet controller and lower specifications is not what a majority of consumers appear to want.

The fact remains that gamers want a wide variety of games and the Wii U doesn't offer them the wide variety they want.

Nintendo hasn't marketed the system well enough, hasn't educated the consumer on why they should go out and buy one and hasn't put up a single argument as to why the Wii U would be a better choice for the consumer then either the Xbox One or the PS4.

Nintendo has done virtually nothing to change the fortunes of the Wii U. Yes, they've released an AAA title, but unfortunately that hasn't had a massive impact on sales of the Wii U. It's selling well and sales of SKU's have increased, but it's very minimal compared to sales of its competitors consoles which are soon to pass the Wii U sales total (if they haven't already).

If Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros fail to bring in the gamers this year and sales don't improve drastically then that should tell Nintendo everything they need to know, because if sales of the Wii U don't pick up this year then it could be a real possibility that the Wii U will sell less units than the Gamecube.

I hope Iwata is able to adapt, change and get Nintendo back competiting.

Edited by SailtheSeas, 22 January 2014 - 05:41 AM.

#54 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 05:55 AM

Well Nintendo needs to do something because they're fast becoming irrelevant in the home console market.

The fact remains the Wii U's tablet controller and lower specifications is not what a majority of consumers appear to want.

The fact remains that gamers want a wide variety of games and the Wii U doesn't offer them the wide variety they want.

Nintendo hasn't marketed the system well enough, hasn't educated the consumer on why they should go out and buy one and hasn't put up a single argument as to why the Wii U would be a better choice for the consumer then either the Xbox One or the PS4.

Nintendo has done virtually nothing to change the fortunes of the Wii U. Yes, they've released an AAA title, but unfortunately that hasn't had a massive impact on sales of the Wii U. It's selling well and sales of SKU's have increased, but it's very minimal compared to sales of its competitors consoles which are soon to pass the Wii U sales total (if they haven't already).

If Mario Kart 8 and Super Smash Bros fail to bring in the gamers this year and sales don't improve drastically then that should tell Nintendo everything they need to know, because if sales of the Wii U don't pick up this year then it could be a real possibility that the Wii U will sell less units than the Gamecube.

I hope Iwata is able to adapt, change and get Nintendo back competiting.

That response didnt even have anything to do with what I said, at all. Its like you are just constantly reiterating a pre concocted narrative. If I didnt know this site was too small, id believe you were an astro turfer.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#55 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 22 January 2014 - 06:42 AM

[...]

No. Going that way is the end. Even if sales improve its a hollow victory.

I liked your post so much I had to not only press "like" but also quote it. Thanks. 

#56 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

That response didnt even have anything to do with what I said, at all. Its like you are just constantly reiterating a pre concocted narrative. If I didnt know this site was too small, id believe you were an astro turfer.

I'm frustrated that's all. I invested a lot of money in the Wii U and I've been left feeling bitterly disappointed. I think I have every right to air my opinions irrespective of what you may or may not feel about those opinions. It's all subjective really.

As I say I want to proven wrong as I want Nintendo to be successful and I want the Wii U to be successful, but the fact remains the majority of the games industry and consumers don't want anything to do with Nintendo or their hardware and that should send alarm bells ringing in Nintendo HQ.

I liked your post so much I had to not only press "like" but also quote it. Thanks. 

I like his post too, but the fact is the Nintendo way isn't working and unless Nintendo adapt and change they'll be left behind.

This isn't the 1980's/1990's anymore, it's not 2006 either, it's 2014 and the majority of consumers have spoken, they don't want what Nintendo is offering with the Wii U.

It also doesn't help that Nintendo hasn't even got behind their product and really promoted it. The Wii U is like a fish out of water, flapping around on the deck. Mario Kart 8 is due out in Spring, but there's no set date for it. There's no marketing of the product, there's nothing, no information, just the odd snippet every few months. The only information about Super Smash Bros released is that this character or that character is being added.

X? Is that even still in development? One trailer at E3 and fast forward six/seven months and nothing, no information. What about SMTXFE? No information. Zelda U? No information.

£309.99 spent just to be told "Please, understand". As much as I like the Wii U, it's just wasn't worth me paying £309.99 for it, especially when Argos and Amazon now have the same bundle I bought at £179.99, £130 cheaper, that's a real kicker.

#57 Gimbal

Gimbal

Abscond

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • NNID:Savoir
  • Fandom:
    School Rumble

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:28 AM

You guys are right. They should get rid of Iwata so that a new CEO can do some of the things he's foolishly refusing to do. Things like laying off 10% of the staff, making games for mobile, dropping Wii U entirely, and becoming third party.

"So if Zero Suit Samus is fanbait for guys, where is the fanbait for girls? Why isn’t Captain Falcon wearing a thong or sporting a chest twice the size of his last model? Why doesn’t Mario have an absurd crotch buldge holding in his 10 inch slice of manhood? Why doesn’t Yoshi look like a Fist of the North Starcharacter.

That, my friends, is why the design is sexist."~Angelo M. D'Argenio-4/17/2014

"Yes, because owning only 1 game in this series makes you qualified to have an opinion on it"~PyroKinesis-5/7/2014

"He is a game dev, critic, games media writer, and candidate for a phd by the way. So, LMFAO."~3Dude 9/4/2014

#58 storabajskorven

storabajskorven

Boo

• Members
  • 572 posts
  • NNID:Stranders

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:28 AM

I like his post too, but the fact is the Nintendo way isn't working and unless Nintendo adapt and change they'll be left behind.

This isn't the 1980's/1990's anymore, it's not 2006 either, it's 2014 and the majority of consumers have spoken, they don't want what Nintendo is offering with the Wii U.

It also doesn't help that Nintendo hasn't even got behind their product and really promoted it. The Wii U is like a fish out of water, flapping around on the deck. Mario Kart 8 is due out in Spring, but there's no set date for it. There's no marketing of the product, there's nothing, no information, just the odd snippet every few months. The only information about Super Smash Bros released is that this character or that character is being added.

X? Is that even still in development? One trailer at E3 and fast forward six/seven months and nothing, no information. What about SMTXFE? No information. Zelda U? No information.

£309.99 spent just to be told "Please, understand". As much as I like the Wii U, it's just wasn't worth me paying £309.99 for it, especially when Argos and Amazon now have the same bundle I bought at £179.99, £130 cheaper, that's a real kicker.

Of course you have the right to be disappointed. I also agree with a lot of what you're saying. But you probably also agree that replacing Iwata with a businessman would make Nintendo producing another Playstation, turning Nintendo irrelevant. 

#59 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:38 AM

Of course you have the right to be disappointed. I also agree with a lot of what you're saying. But you probably also agree that replacing Iwata with a businessman would make Nintendo producing another Playstation, turning Nintendo irrelevant. 

Nintendo is becoming irrelevant anyway, you can't see it.

It's relying on its old franchises to save its home console, now tell me if that fails then what has Nintendo got in its arsenal to salvage the Wii U?

Nobody is saying that Nintendo should become like Sony or Microsoft, but it needs to change. Releasing underpowerd hardware with gimmicky controllers is not what gamers want, this is evident, just look at the sales figures of the Wii U.

Having a lack of third party support puts even more pressure on Nintendo studios to get games on the system and when there are delays it hurts Nintendo.

Where's the marketing?

Nintendo need to face facts, either improve, become better and start becoming a serious competitor in the home console market or leave it altogether and just focus on the handheld market because they're just losing money in the home console market with the Wii U.

#60 Pjsprojects

Pjsprojects

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 681 posts
  • Fandom:
    BF4-pc,GTA-360,Splinter cell-pc

Posted 22 January 2014 - 07:52 AM

This weeks Media create sales are 11k and will drop again next week so let's hope Nintendo has a plan.
Posted Image

Add me on Miiverse !! I'm from England but the world is a lot smaller online!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!