Photo

Steam Machine questions and are you getting one?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:58 PM

I am considering buying a Steam box but I am still looking into them and fear they might flop. Don't see any reason for PC gamers to buy one at all. I've never owned a gaming PC so this could be ideal since they can connect straight to the TV without taking up much space.

These are my questions/concerns on the Steam Machine's and if anyone could answer them or give your opinion that would be great.

1) The included controller doesn't look good, can you connect DS4 or Xbox controller like on PC?

2) Price ranges from around £350 - £2000. Will the cheaper versions be as powerful as PS4?

3) They run on Steam OS. Is there achievements, online subscriptions or free games etc on Steam?

4) Will they connect to HDTV with HDMI?

5) Why are the some of the box's so small, do they stream only or have full CPU/GPU chips inside?

6) Will all mahine's be upgradable?

7) Are you getting one?

#2 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:12 PM

1) Yes

2) Some will

3) Yes

4) Yes

5) Full GPU/CPU chips, and they can also stream games that don't come on Steam

6) No word on this yet, I assume most will be upgradeable

7) I doubt it, no money :)

Edited by R00bot, 31 January 2014 - 04:14 PM.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#3 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:19 PM

I'd love to buy one, but I don't have the money for it.

I'll probably just buy the controller.

794144.png?13383682

#4 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:58 PM

I think i'd prefer a Windows based alternative. It would be my most powerful pc so streaming incompatible games is a no-go.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#5 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

I am considering buying a Steam box but I am still looking into them and fear they might flop. Don't see any reason for PC gamers to buy one at all. I've never owned a gaming PC so this could be ideal since they can connect straight to the TV without taking up much space.

These are my questions/concerns on the Steam Machine's and if anyone could answer them or give your opinion that would be great.

1) The included controller doesn't look good, can you connect DS4 or Xbox controller like on PC?
2) Price ranges from around £350 - £2000. Will the cheaper versions be as powerful as PS4?
3) They run on Steam OS. Is there achievements, online subscriptions or free games etc on Steam?
4) Will they connect to HDTV with HDMI?
5) Why are the some of the box's so small, do they stream only or have full CPU/GPU chips inside?
6) Will all mahine's be upgradable?
7) Are you getting one?

The controller is actually being changed to d-pad buttons and whatnot last I heard.
Of course, the ps4 is a piece of carp.
There is everything on Steam, silly goose.
Obv.
They all have full computer parts inside them, the cheaper ones are better for streaming from a real gaming PC on your home network or are entry-level, but fully upgradable later.
Ya.
No, I have a PC.

and they can also stream games that don't come on Steam

what?
UR SILLY
Game streaming is on your local network only, from your real gaming PC to your low-power, low-noise peasant box in your TV room.
All through Steam.

I think i'd prefer a Windows based alternative. It would be my most powerful pc so streaming incompatible games is a no-go.

Is this your personal situation? That'd make sense.

Steam box is a PC with a linux distro designed to play games on installed inside it.
That's the OS, which is a far better OS than Windows is.
If it's your most powerful box then you wouldn't be able to stream the better games from your better PC to it, though.

Edited by Nollog, 31 January 2014 - 05:09 PM.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#6 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:32 PM

1)You can, along with keyboard and mouse

2)The cheapest version is $499 and it is more powerful than PS4

3)steam is free so no subscriptions, steam games have achievements and badges there are free to play games and insane sells on steam

4)yes

5)Same as R00bot said

6)They can all be upgraded but be careful and look up reviews to make sure that it is easy to upgrade because alienware has stated that you can but it will be hard to upgrade theirs

7)I am getting the cyberpower steam machine if all goes well review wise here are the specs and a picture of the box http://www.tomshardw...wer,25633.html 

#7 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

1)You can, along with keyboard and mouse

2)The cheapest version is $499 and it is more powerful than PS4

3)steam is free so no subscriptions, steam games have achievements and badges there are free to play games and insane sells on steam

4)yes

5)Same as R00bot said

6)They can all be upgraded but be careful and look up reviews to make sure that it is easy to upgrade because alienware has stated that you can but it will be hard to upgrade theirs

7)I am getting the cyberpower steam machine if all goes well review wise here are the specs and a picture of the box http://www.tomshardw...wer,25633.html 

The link doesn't work but that Cyberpower Steam Machine is the exact one I had my eye on!

They will be coming in 2 versions though, cheaper one has the faster AMD processor and more expensive has the Intel i3 with a more powerful GPU.

#8 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

what?
UR SILLY
Game streaming is on your local network only, from your real gaming PC to your low-power, low-noise peasant box in your TV room.
All through Steam.

I meant to say "that don't come on Linux".

http://www.theverge....ingbox-for-your

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#9 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:01 PM

Got a ps4 so no, but never been into pc gaming tho.

youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#10 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

The link doesn't work but that Cyberpower Steam Machine is the exact one I had my eye on!

They will be coming in 2 versions though, cheaper one has the faster AMD processor and more expensive has the Intel i3 with a more powerful GPU.

I'm getting the cheaper one but that's because I'm not going to be playing anything too intense and because I'm also buying windows 7 for it too

#11 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:02 PM

One thing to say to you OP. The Steambox that is around the same price as the PS4/Xbox one will NOT perform better than the consoles for more than a couple of years. If you plan on getting a new steam box every 2 or 3 years? Sure! go for it. Devs will NOT be designing games to play at 60 fps on your system for 7 years in the future. If you don't play AAA graphic intensive games, then a cheap steambox might totally be your thing. However, if you want to only pay around $400 and play all the newest games at decent fps, the steambox will disappoint in a couple of years.

edit: didn't answer the questions ^^

1) Yes, and you're right. It looks like ass.

2) Technically? Yes. Practically? Not when devs are optimizing for PS4 and Xbox One and NOT your cheap steambox. 

3) Of course!

4) That's kind of the point ^^

5) Dat heat.

6) All? unlikely. ram maybe? Otherwise you'd be talking bigger power source, motherboard, cooler, etc.

7) God no. I already bought my PC for $1400 :( (but it's AWESOME)

Edited by DexterousGecko, 31 January 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#12 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:28 PM

I may get a budget gaming PC. Way better deal than a box that can only play steam.

Signature_DK.png

#13 Chaos

Chaos

Red Train Hero

• Members
  • 954 posts
  • NNID:ChaoticPikachu
  • Fandom:
    Anime

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:37 PM

Might get one eventually... after the price drops hard.

#14 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:38 PM

Got a ps4 so no, but never been into pc gaming tho.

You can get a rig for $500 but they dont sell dedicated rigs at walmarts and stuff so you have to go online and it becomes a pain in the butt. Im thinking of just buying a cheapo PC and then by a graphics and ram expansion. A pain in the butt IMO but im still considering.

Exactly.

PCs>Steam Machines

Signature_DK.png

#15 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:53 PM

At least it is affordable. And the graphics are just fine quit being so picky

It's a weak PC.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#16 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • Fandom:

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:57 PM

It's a weak PC.

A weak PC lags games. The PS4 doesnt lag. Trust me I own one and its pretty ;)

Edited by Alex Wolfers, 31 January 2014 - 06:59 PM.

Signature_DK.png

#17 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:12 PM

A weak PC lags games. The PS4 doesnt lag. Trust me I own one and its pretty ;)

You own a weak PC or a weak PC P4?
Sounds boring.

\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#18 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:40 PM

off topic but I just finished Kore wa Zombie Desu ka or is this a zombie and finally figured out what your avatar is 

#19 Gnomishek

Gnomishek

Spiny

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:51 PM

7) Are you getting one?

No.

And yes, it will flop.

Молоту войн и рокоту гроз вольные рати верны, где ветром могучим из братины звёзд рунные стяги пьяны.

#20 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:10 PM

)7 no I spent 1400 on a PC in late 2012 and have a bunch of consoles over the years. Well unless I see one in Thrift Town in 20 years for 4$

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!