Photo

Nintendo considering mergers (Holy Moly!)

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Wolfers

Alex Wolfers

Thy Fur Consumed

• Members
  • 2,768 posts
  • NNID:AxGamer
  • Fandom:
    Furry Fandom,gaming,trolling

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

Mergers and Acquisitions Being Considered by Nintendo, Says Iwata PUBLISHED ON JANUARY 31, 2014, BY JOEL PALERMO 20POSTED IN NEWS,NINTENDO

311609-690x388.jpg

It has been a rather eventful news week for Nintendo, with talk of licensing its characters to outside partners and discussion of revamping Nintendo Network IDs in the form of a unified account system. Still, the question remains – what are Nintendo’s plans for the future? President Satoru Iwata may have the answer.

In lieu of facing a major pay cut due to this past year’s financial struggles, Iwata has informed Japanese Outlet The Nikkei that Nintendo is not ruling out the possibility of aligning with another company, stating “We should abandon old assumptions about our businesses. We are considering M&As as an option. For this reason, we’ll step up share buybacks.”

Nintendo recently made a $1.2 billion stock buyback, causing shares to rise by 8.2 percent.

When asked about Nintendo’s listing on the stock index, Iwata claimed that a quarterly system does not work well for Nintendo, stating “We don’t know in advance how much of a hit a product can be.” Still, he did admit that the stock market has been responsible for allowing Nintendo to reach its current state.

But it is thanks to the stock market that Nintendo has grown to what it is today. I don’t want to turn to a management buyout just because we are inconvenienced now.

Merge with Sega already :)

source:  http://www.gengame.n...ndo-says-iwata/

Signature_DK.png

#2 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:11 PM

No they are not.
They are not ruling out money from the stock buy-back to acquire businesses.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#3 Ninty64X

Ninty64X

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 255 posts
  • Fandom:
    MST3K, Animation, Metal Gear, OddWorld

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:13 PM

Wow, this sure has been one heck of a week for Nintendo news. Also strangely enough Nintendo merging with Sega doesn't seem that surprising anymore, with Bayonetta 2 being an exclusive, Sonic in Brawl, and the Olympic games series.

On the hunt for her dad's killer, she learns she needs to step up her game. It's time to unleash some superpowers. - Netflix's amazing Kill La Kill description

#4 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:20 PM

Not what I would like to hear. But I understand where they are coming from, nintendo is a company and they need to keep up growth. So that's that

#5 Lightning_Ninja

Lightning_Ninja

Dry Bones

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • NNID:Lightning_Ninja
  • Fandom:
    Monster Hunter, Zelda, Fire Emblem

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:24 PM

My understanding was that they might buy other companies.  Good news if you ask me.  The more exclusives and manpower they have, the better.

#6 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

Sega just for Atlus and Mega Man, Sonic is dead to me Sega butchered him and his games to death. Also someone please buy Capcom and kick out all the management so you can get some great IP's and the gamers can finally get a good resident evil and get rid of those terrible microtransactions and shady dlc 

#7 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts
  • NNID:Azure-X

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:27 PM

My understanding was that they might buy other companies.  Good news if you ask me.  The more exclusives and manpower they have, the better.

My thoughts exactly. From the way I see it this is the best way Nintendo could invest in their future. I say focus on grabbing Platinum, Capcom (if possible), and possibly Sega in the future.

Sega just for Atlus and Mega Man, Sonic is dead to me Sega butchered him and his games to death. Also someone please buy Capcom and kick out all the management so you can get some great IP's and the gamers can finally get a good resident evil and get rid of those terrible microtransactions and shady dlc 

Sega doesn't own Megaman. That's Capcom. 

pNgecl.gif

#8 nbond3040

nbond3040

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 285 posts
  • Fandom:
    Code Geass,Minecraft

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:36 PM

Sega doesn't own Megaman. That's Capcom. 

oops sorry

#9 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

oops sorry

No prob.

pNgecl.gif

#10 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:31 AM

Buy SEGA. Maybe we'll get a good Sonic game with Nintendo controlling things.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#11 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:40 AM

Buy Sega-Sammy and start using Sega and Atlus's dormant IP's.

#12 Rockodoodle

Rockodoodle

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 677 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Except you aren't growing your audience/demographic.....  

Buy SEGA. Maybe we'll get a good Sonic game with Nintendo controlling things.

#13 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Last 3 Sonic games been great get off the hate train people.

Except you aren't growing your audience/demographic.....  

Rock. Yakuza,Shenmue,Phantasy Star,After Burner,Beyond Oasis,Shining Force,Condemed,Daytona,SEGA Rally,Golden Axe,Streets of Rage,House of the Dead,Madworld,Bayonetta,Panzer Dragoon,Saukura Wars,Shinobi,Virtua Fighter and many more. Even if some are domrant now the potential is still there. Also Atlus with SMT series and Persona. If Nintendo did buy them not only would they expand the audience by a great margin and get many people to by Nintendo systems. Just for Phantasy Star Online alone and Atlus offerings.

#14 Auzzie Wingman

Auzzie Wingman

Mournblade

• Members
  • 4,346 posts
  • NNID:AuzzieWingman
  • Fandom:
    Not enough space here

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

As great as it would be for Nintendo, I don't think SEGA is gonna be that willing to submit to a former rival. And even if they did a large number of those IPs aren't gonna see fresh blood.

Trophy Cards are classy too! LOLZIGZAGOON

AuzzieWingman.png

#15 Azure-Edge

Azure-Edge

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

As great as it would be for Nintendo, I don't think SEGA is gonna be that willing to submit to a former rival. And even if they did a large number of those IPs aren't gonna see fresh blood.

I don't see them going for Sega anyways. At least not up front. There are better prospects. Sega unfortunately a shadow of its former self and they've only gone down hill since leaving the console market. Seriously, their best stuff since becoming a third party publisher was all of the Dreamcast ports on the Gamecube. 

pNgecl.gif

#16 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

i kind of have to agree. Sega seems to have lost whatever it was that made their games awesome.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#17 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:51 AM

Mergers usually are done with like companies. That would be Sega. And it's a perfect fit. They should also acquire Platinum already. Serious talent there.

But Nintendo also needs to recapture their old image-where they WERE gaming. People looked to Nintendo as a hardcore gaming company.

A merger and/or a series of acquisitions may be the shot across the bow that the world needs to reset their minds on the company.

The "blue Ocean" Nintendo speaks of is already I festered with bigger, better predators.

http://bits.blogs.ny...type=blogs&_r=0

http://www.fitbit.com

http://store.nike.co...nike fuelband 2

And health apps/games/etc are too many to list.

Can't see Nintendo competing here.

Wii fit started the craze. Wii u fit hardly seems a worthy upgrade and even xbox one has a worthy fitness game competitor.

Wish Nintendo would focus and what they are good at.

I'm seeing Iwata just not understanding why the Wii U has not picked up traction.

Seems like he's grasping.

Hopefully, he doesn't invest too much in this blue ocean health arena. Because Iwata may be colorblind. That ocean ain't blue, neither in software nor hardware.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 02 February 2014 - 02:05 AM.

#18 Nintyfan86

Nintyfan86

Bob-omb

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Mergers usually are done with like companies. That would be Sega. And it's a perfect fit. They should also acquire Platinum already. Serious talent there.

But Nintendo also needs to recapture their old image-where they WERE gaming. People looked to Nintendo as a hardcore gaming company.

A merger and/or a series of acquisitions may be the shot across the bow that the world needs to reset their minds on the company.

The "blue Ocean" Nintendo speaks of is already I festered with bigger, better predators.

http://bits.blogs.ny...type=blogs&_r=0

http://www.fitbit.com

http://store.nike.co...nike fuelband 2

And health apps/games/etc are too many to list.

Can't see Nintendo competing here.

Wii fit started the craze. Wii u fit hardly seems a worthy upgrade and even xbox one has a worthy fitness game competitor.

Wish Nintendo would focus and what they are good at.

I'm seeing Iwata just not understanding why the Wii U has not picked up traction.

Seems like he's grasping.

Hopefully, he doesn't invest too much in this blue ocean health arena. Because Iwata may be colorblind. That ocean ain't blue, neither in software nor hardware.

You are right. However, I am presuming the presentation was so general, and it covered a lot in scope, that the overall 'health' concept could be wrapped around something else. 

I am hoping that this meeting, and the reference to the Blue Ocean Strategy, was a mechanism to calm investors and throw off competition. 

I mean, share buy-backs can also give you more leverage in a proxy war. 

#19 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

Last 3 Sonic games been great get off the hate train people.

Rock. Yakuza,Shenmue,Phantasy Star,After Burner,Beyond Oasis,Shining Force,Condemed,Daytona,SEGA Rally,Golden Axe,Streets of Rage,House of the Dead,Madworld,Bayonetta,Panzer Dragoon,Saukura Wars,Shinobi,Virtua Fighter and many more. Even if some are domrant now the potential is still there. Also Atlus with SMT series and Persona. If Nintendo did buy them not only would they expand the audience by a great margin and get many people to by Nintendo systems. Just for Phantasy Star Online alone and Atlus offerings.

I concur, but you forgot Crazy Taxi. What. A. Game.

#20 Socalmuscle

Socalmuscle

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,677 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:37 PM

You are right. However, I am presuming the presentation was so general, and it covered a lot in scope, that the overall 'health' concept could be wrapped around something else.

I am hoping that this meeting, and the reference to the Blue Ocean Strategy, was a mechanism to calm investors and throw off competition.

I mean, share buy-backs can also give you more leverage in a proxy war.

The share buy backs simply allow Nintendo to be more at ease in calling all the shots without worrying about hostile takeovers, investor retaliation, etc.

No doubt they've heard of a guy named Carl Icahn who likes to sweep in, invest billions, profit from untimely share buybacks (which he pressures the board to do), and leave companies devastated in his wake -while he profits handsomely.

Much like EA profits from liquidizing game dev studios.

Nintendo IS hurting. They aren't going anywhere soon, but they are smarting from this generation console. They are erecting protective barriers now. Very smart.

Buying back the shares doesn't profit them financially until they sell them again. This is their second recent buy back and they are not doing it for money. It's for security.

This way they can still be allowed to take risks (necessary for any company worth existing) and not have to worry about short term knee-jerk reactions.

It's a reason to trust the company -even if they seem to be finding their way blindfolded (blue tinted of course)at the moment.

Edited by Socalmuscle, 02 February 2014 - 04:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!