Photo

Titanfall Digital Foundry beta analysis (792p, ~60fps)

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

We're currently hard at work on a detailed tech analysis based on our gameplay experience and these captures, but what we can provide now is some insight on Xbox One's native rendering resolution. It's been something of a hot topic in recent months, due to a number of factors. First up, Respawn told us that it would prioritise frame-rate over resolution when we interviewed producer Drew McCoy at Gamescom last year, with little in the way of official comment since then. Secondly, the whole Resolutiongate issue has put the GPU capabilities and memory bandwidth of the Xbox One under the microscope after a number of high-profile titles - including first-party exclusives - ran at sub-native pixel counts. Finally, rumours online have continued to suggest that Titanfall runs at 720p.

Well, even with access to direct captures, the issue isn't quite as cut and dried as you may think. The usual pixel-counting techniques involve capturing long horizontal and vertical edges, then comparing the number of actual rendered pixels with the output of the console. So, for example a 4:5 ratio on the vertical on a 720p output gives 576p. The ratios aren't quite so clear on the preview build of Titanfall we saw last week, but because of that, 720p can be ruled out.

Based on some extended edge-counts from the game's stark tutorial section, our best guess right now is that 1408x792 is pretty close to Respawn's chosen rendering resolution. The overall effect is pretty similar to 720p overall though, and the implementation of an overly sharp filter across the entire image suggests that the Xbox One hardware scaler is used to blow up the image to 1080p. We're not exactly impressed by that and, we suspect, neither was DICE - hence the move on Battlefield 4 from Microsoft's scaler to a bespoke software solution between the preview and final code we played.

---

In the era of post-process anti-aliasing - which doesn't work particularly well on sub-native resolutions - the good news is that Respawn has opted for the tried-and-tested 2x multi-sampling anti-aliasing (MSAA) in order to make the image cleaner, eliminating sub-pixel pop and resolving long-distance detail more effectively.

Probably the biggest surprise is that, based on our testing, frame-rate doesn't quite remain locked to 60fps - not especially noticeable in most situations, but definitely more of an issue inside the titans. Bearing in mind Respawn's dedication to the locked 60fps experience, we hope that further optimisations are in development, but the videos on this page should give you some idea of the game's current performance level.

http://www.eurogamer...ox-one-at-60fps

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#2 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

Doesn't bother me I hear its amazing. I think everyone should be able to play it though on Xbox, Wii U and PS4.

#3 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

The Xbox Two will be 1080p.

794144.png?13383682

#4 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:01 AM

Next Gen Power

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#5 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:12 AM

Titanfall -- 792p 60fps

Killzone Shadowfall - 1080p 30fps. 

Neither of these consoles are these "super-charged PC's" that their fans like to proclaim they are, as Nvidia said they're both low-end PC's. That said it is more important for an FPS game to have a solid frame rate rather than a native 1080p resolution. 

As for the game itself, I like the look of it, I would actually like to play it on my PC, but it's published by EA which means it may well end up being a broken mess like BF4 and if it isn't then I can bet my annual salary that it will be riddled with DLC. 

There are rumours doing the rounds that there will be DLC available for gamers 45 days after Titanfall launches and then there will be more DLC 120 days after Titanfall releases which says to me that the DLC is just stuff was that originally in the game but has since been removed in order to maximise revenue and the profit margin. 

Quite why gamers feel the need to constantly throw their money at organisations like Electronic Arts is beyond me. 

Edited by SailtheSeas, 13 February 2014 - 03:13 AM.

#6 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:37 AM

Low end? Xbone maybe but PS4? Please.

Killzone is 1080p 60fps online and that was at launch. 30fps was recently locked for single player solely for the cinematic feel.

Nvidia butthurt no console wanted their parts this gen.

#7 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

Killzone is 1080p 60fps online and that was at launch. 30fps was recently locked for single player solely for the cinematic feel.

They're both low end PC's. 

Killzone and Ryse do look very good on your own low end PC's, but they'd look so much better on my PC. 

As for Nvidia being butthurt, there's absolutely no incentive for Nvidia to make GPU's for either the PS4 or the Xbox One, they make more than enough money from the PC industry. 

You need to face facts that consoles can never compete with PC's. Consoles are closed systems, PC's are open systems, PC's are superior in technology than your average games console. The PS4 and XB1 were outdated when they released in November, give it two years and the graphics on the PS4 will be lightning years behind what any high end PC can deliver.

#8 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#9 SPG

SPG

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 657 posts
  • NNID:Pyroblock
  • Fandom:
    all things Nintendo and PC

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:21 AM

Nice to know you know next to nothing about hardware, xbone and ps4 are very similar in hardware, ps4 obviously being a little bit better, but to call it a high end pc is just sad, a high end pc is an i7 with 2 780ti, not some radeon amd card that is 2 years old (i actually have no idea what card the system uses im just taking shots at it now)

wa3Nq7j.png

#10 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:34 AM

Can we help you sir? 

Yes, I'd like 8 netbooks duct taped together.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#11 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:35 AM

Nice to know you know next to nothing about hardware, xbone and ps4 are very similar in hardware, ps4 obviously being a little bit better, but to call it a high end pc is just sad, a high end pc is an i7 with 2 780ti, not some radeon amd card that is 2 years old (i actually have no idea what card the system uses im just taking shots at it now)

Who said anything about PS4 being high end? Moron.

#12 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:41 AM

The PS4's GPU is supposedly between the 7850 and a 7870 AMD GPU's which is further boosted by the 8GB GDDR5 RAM. For a games console the PS4's architecture and specification is very impressive especially when it costs £349.99. That's great bang for your buck right there, but for people like Toilet_Snaker to assume it's a high end PC is just ridiculous. 

Who said anything about PS4 being high end? Moron.

Mark Cerny for one.

http://www.gameinfor...cture-quot.aspx

#13 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:02 AM

Take your PC out your ass, you may be able to see clearly and realise I made no assumption about PS4 being high end.

You can get much more out a console than an equivalent PC, I'd love to see a low end PC get 1080p 60fps on Bayonetta 2 (if it went multiplat) for example, nevermind optimized future PS4 games.

#14 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:19 AM

Take your PC out your ass, you may be able to see clearly and realise I made no assumption about PS4 being high end.

You can get much more out a console than an equivalent PC, I'd love to see a low end PC get 1080p 60fps on Bayonetta 2 (if it went multiplat) for example, nevermind optimized future PS4 games.

You sound awfully buttsore there lad! 

The fact is you've spent weeks putting down the Xbox One for no other reason then fanboyism and now that I'm doing the same thing to you, that you've been doing to others you don't like it. 

See? It's not nice is it? The fact is the PS4 is a great console, but it's very limited in what it can do. The Xbox One is a great media device, sure it could be better but for a first stab at it, Microsoft haven't done a bad job. The only real issue with the Xbox One is some of the silly charges they're implementing like paying a fee to use your own headset on the XB1, but a part from that I think it's a good device. 

When it comes to gaming, when it comes to multimedia, neither the PS4 or the XB1 can compete with the PC. 

#15 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 07:33 AM

Say what you like, I am not a deluded Microsoft fanboy unlike some. And let's face it, nobody got ass as sore as Microsoft fanboys right now hahaha.

Must be that crippler Sony inserted without lube. Stay salty bro.

Edited by Toilet_Snaker, 13 February 2014 - 07:41 AM.

#16 DexterousGecko

DexterousGecko

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

I watched a bit of a guy streaming it last night. Looked interesting, but nothing at all groundbreaking. The Mechs were super OP of course, and the jumping mechanics weren't as interesting as they showed them on the previews of course. This will NOT be a COD killer.

#17 Zinix

Zinix

YA HOMIE.

• Members
  • 4,410 posts
  • NNID:zinixzero
  • Fandom:
    The Twilight Zone Fandom

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:55 AM

The Xbox Two will be 1080p.

The Wii Three will have 10 second loading screens.

“Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete.”— Rod Serling, “The Twilight Zone” The Obsolete Man

Smoke meth. Hail Satan. Watch the yearly Twilight Zone marathons. Talk to dead people. Everyone is gay. Ignore people. Live life to the fullest.

#18 Mushlikeahusky1

Mushlikeahusky1

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 600 posts
  • Fandom:
    Luigi and luigis mansion.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

I saw smosh play titanfall and it looks amazing but its just like every other fps so i have super mixed feelings of this will be so fun and wait have I played this before.

#19 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahaha. PS4/Xbox One are both using AMD-series  which is at best middle class.

#20 LinkKennedy

LinkKennedy

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 689 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

Just gives us more good F'ing games already *that goes out to the X1, PS4 and WiiU*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!