28 replies to this topic

#1 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts
  • NNID:t002tyrant_86

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:24 AM

I have come to the conclusion that Nintendo need to hit the family theme really hard, but not just one aspect of the family, all aspects of the family including the adults. Here's an example of what kind of advert should be pumping out right now.

---------

(Shot of a parent installing the Wii U)

With Nintendo's Wii U it's the only console where you and your family can play these.

(Montage shot of Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Wonderful 101, and Pikmin 3)

And where you can play THESE

(Montage shot of Zombi U, Call of Duty Ghosts, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta 2, Watch_Dogs, Assasin's Creed IV, Batman: Arkham Origins, and Splinter Cell: Blacklist alongside watching Nintendo Tvii/Netflix films)

All while your gran plays these

(Montage of granny playing Wii Sports HD and Wii Fit U)

Nintendo: Bring On the FUN!

(Shot of the father at night playing off screen mode and his wife scolding him)

What will U Play Next?

------

IMO this advertises to Nintendo's core family audience saying it will keep both your kids entertained, help you bond with your children, allow you some adult entertainment too as well as showing off Nintendo's Quality of Life scheme.

What do you guys think? What is your ideal advert to be pumped out on Television, and why?

#2 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • NNID:xWydrAx
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:34 AM

I have come to the conclusion that Nintendo need to hit the family theme really hard, but not just one aspect of the family, all aspects of the family including the adults. Here's an example of what kind of advert should be pumping out right now.

---------

With Nintendo's Wii U it's the only console where you and your family can play these.

(Montage shot of Super Mario 3D World, Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Wonderful 101, and Pikmin 3)

(Montage shot of Zombi U, Call of Duty Ghosts, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta 2, Watch_Dogs, Assasin's Creed IV, Batman: Arkham Origins, and Splinter Cell: Blacklist alongside watching Nintendo Tvii/Netflix films)

What will U Play Next?

------

IMO this advertises to Nintendo's core family audience saying it will keep both your kids entertained, help you bond with your children, allow you some adult entertainment too as well as showing off Nintendo's Quality of Life scheme.

What do you guys think? What is your ideal advert to be pumped out on Television, and why?

I think that's a decent pitch. It's a shame nintendo probably still wouldn't give you funding since they seem to hate good advertising right now :(

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#3 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:42 AM

I think that's a decent pitch. It's a shame nintendo probably still wouldn't give you funding since they seem to hate good advertising right now :(

It's a shame because I do own a small production company which have created adverts for small and medium businesses. So I'm more than capable, thinking of creating a mockup advert 

#4 SailtheSeas

SailtheSeas

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:39 AM

You can have the best possible product in your chosen market but if you do not advertise that product and put convincing reasons why people should buy your product, your product will struggle.

Nintendo need to take a leaf out of Sony's book when it comes to advertising and marketing because Sony did everything right with their marketing of the PS4 and they are reaping the rewards.

#5 Ghost

Ghost

BASEDGOD

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:02 AM

---------

What will U Play Next?

------

More diversity would do. The thing you was aiming for was three main age groups but that ain't enough. If they aim for children, multiple people, scary nights, movie nights, the weird and wonderful and old retro classics groups then they would have a much better potential fanbase to choose from. 

#6 Expansion Pak

Expansion Pak

Enlightened Fanboy

• Members
  • 821 posts
  • NNID:Koopamann14
  • Fandom:
    Pokemon the Series: XY and PS4

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:41 AM

NOOOOOOOO BUT NINTENDOH NEEDZ TO FOCUS ON DA KIDZ AND ONLYY DA KIDZ IN THEIR COMMERCIALZ!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though great idea. But sadly Nintendo will probably never do it :(

I shower you with coconut cream pies.

#7 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

You can have the best possible product in your chosen market but if you do not advertise that product and put convincing reasons why people should buy your product, your product will struggle.

Nintendo need to take a leaf out of Sony's book when it comes to advertising and marketing because Sony did everything right with their marketing of the PS4 and they are reaping the rewards.

I love Sonys ads. I totally agree.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#8 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

It's a shame because I do own a small production company which have created adverts for small and medium businesses. So I'm more than capable, thinking of creating a mockup advert 

Dang that actually makes it even more of a shame :(

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#9 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

Dang that actually makes it even more of a shame :(

I made a mockup of the ad without people, I might tweak it here and there tonight, but it'd be great to hear some feedback. Yes I do have regrets on the video, but it's too late to go back and correct the mistakes

#10 Merky Water

Merky Water

Motion Shooter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Fandom:
    Zelda, Contra, Mario Kart

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

Nice!  already more effort than i've seen from the Nintendo team.  Great choice of tunes although not sure Nintendo would pony up for Queen rights.  One critique i would say would be possibly have all of the titles slide in or bolt toward you with a a nice transisition as you did for most of the 3rd parties near the end.  Changing the white lettering on the red bar during the 1st party showcase just didn't pop enough to let the viewer know you've cut to another title.  Even if it just swapped which side of the screen the red arrow came from, it would probably distiguish the fact you're showing yet another game... which i'd imagine is a main priority is to quell the misconception that the system has very few games... and of course bring to attention that the console exists to the rest of the world which.... well, i'm not sure how to go about that better.  Nintendo shot itself in the foot with that "Wii" U thing... still hoping the just drop it to the "U" in future ad campaigns to end the confusion.   Kinda like the NES... rare to find someone use the full "Nintendo Entertainment System" (or, likewise, call the Famicom by it's original name of the Family Computer). 

Merky-Banner_zpsfd81fed3.png

#11 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

Great choice of tunes although not sure Nintendo would pony up for Queen rights.

I was listening to my dad's iPod a while ago and found a great tune that for some reason I just instantly thought would work really well for a Wii U advert actually it's a pretty old and a lot less well known than queen, so I'm sure the rights wouldn't be half as expensive:

Going further into the topic it dawned upon me just HOW important a catchy, unique song is when I heard an advert using the same song as another advert from a couple months ago. Instantly I started thinking about the other advert instead of the one on TV, and if you think about it, a lot of times, if you get up to do something during ad break and you hear a song to an ad you know, you just instantly think of the rest of the ad.
I think that song has a lot of potential to create that sort of effect, especially since no one else is using it right now.

Idk why that ended up sounding like a pitch XD

Anyway,...

I made a mockup of the ad without people, I might tweak it here and there tonight, but it'd be great to hear some feedback. Yes I do have regrets on the video, but it's too late to go back and correct the mistakes

That was great. Only problem, of course is that the ad would be way too long to actually show on tv. BUT it would be really easy to break up into the three sections, in which case, with a little more cutting it would work fine time-wise, and then the different sections could be targeted to different channels (Spike, and similar channels for the "hardcore' a, Cartoon network, disney etc. for the "family" ads).

But once again I guess it doesn't matter since nintendo hates ads :(

If I had premier and knew how o use it, I would probably just make an advert, maybe try to make it go viral to try and do my part :/
EDIT: Also, I agree with making it pop more when you switch games. I was even thinking, at the end part, you could just make it scroll really quickly, it could make people think there are even more games than there are (If I can think of an actual example of what I mean, I'll post it later), the only problem being that it would be harder for people to recognize the titles.

Edited by WydrA, 18 February 2014 - 10:26 PM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#12 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:25 AM

Thanks guys for ALL your feedback, I'll be experimenting and doing some minor tweaks using your feedback! Although really the titles were there juts because if necessity, if I had an artistic choice that red arrow wouldn't even be there :P

If I had premier and knew how o use it, I would probably just make an advert, maybe try to make it go viral to try and do my part :/

Premiere is very easy to use, and this was edited on After Effects, and this is technically the third time I've ever used it, and my second time ever doing motion graphics the first being 

I'm sure if you had either program you could just experiment and work on it, even if it takes months to perfect your first title it'll get quicker once you know and understand the processes. Plus there's a billion and one people on youtube giving step by step help on these programs :) 

Getting hold of them is well a touchy subject, they can costs hundreds and thousands depending one what suites you get, and there is an alternative, but you shouldn't do that it's naughty, I myself could never promote piracy...it's against the forum rules  :P

Edited by Penguin101, 19 February 2014 - 12:42 AM.

#13 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:29 AM

I have no PS skills. I no longer have it..thought I did but seems not. I had a really really rough ad concept for a website image or print ad. Could also work for a 30 second spot.

It was a vertical ad with rows. So top row screens of released games varied from first to third retail with the letters Wii under it

Second row more screens of games first and third and under that said Will

Third row upcoming games for Wii U first and third party and under thos epics said Rock

Finally last row had images like the rest left to right of indie games and VC console games and under it said

U

So

Wii

Will

Rock

U

Seems fans wanting Queen in Nintendo ads is common lol

#14 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:47 AM

Thanks guys for ALL your feedback, I'll be experimenting and doing some minor tweaks using your feedback! Although really the titles were there juts because if necessity, if I had an artistic choice that red arrow wouldn't even be there :P

Premiere is very easy to use, and this was edited on After Effects, and this is technically the third time I've ever used it, and my second time ever doing motion graphics the first being 

I'm sure if you had either program you could just experiment and work on it, even if it takes months to perfect your first title it'll get quicker once you know and understand the processes. Plus there's a billion and one people on youtube giving step by step help on these programs :) 

Getting hold of them is well a touchy subject, they can costs hundreds and thousands depending one what suites you get, and there is an alternative, but you shouldn't do that it's naughty, I myself could never promote piracy...it's against the forum rules  :P

Maybe I can ask my dad to get it from is work. I know he got PS for like super cheap because of it, so maybe he can do the same with premiere. Actually is priemere or after effects better?

I have no PS skills. I no longer have it..thought I did but seems not. I had a really really rough ad concept for a website image or print ad. Could also work for a 30 second spot.

It was a vertical ad with rows. So top row screens of released games varied from first to third retail with the letters Wii under it

Second row more screens of games first and third and under that said Will

Third row upcoming games for Wii U first and third party and under thos epics said Rock

Finally last row had images like the rest left to right of indie games and VC console games and under it said

U

So

Wii

Will

Rock

U

Seems fans wanting Queen in Nintendo ads is common lol

Actually Wii will rock U is like the second thing I thought of when I first heard the name :P

Edited by WydrA, 19 February 2014 - 01:48 AM.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#15 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:57 AM

I can only imagine the ad on TV as you hear the stomping from the song and every time the stomping sound starts play it intervals of 3 you get small mini clips pf the games and just as the stomping pauses you see Wii and rinse and repeat til you see U then fade to Wii U product shot and price.

Just using the stomping noise and the visuals and text you can avoid the royalties maybe and copyright issues. So not really using Queens song.

Someone call Don Draper.

Edited by Ryudo, 19 February 2014 - 02:01 AM.

#16 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:36 AM

I can only imagine the ad on TV as you hear the stomping from the song and every time the stomping sound starts play it intervals of 3 you get small mini clips pf the games and just as the stomping pauses you see Wii and rinse and repeat til you see U then fade to Wii U product shot and price.

Just using the stomping noise and the visuals and text you can avoid the royalties maybe and copyright issues. So not really using Queens song.

Someone call Don Draper.

Technically speaking, if you use ANY sampling from a song, even if it's so small it literally sounds like a tick, you can get you butt seriously sued :/

Also, even if they remade the stopping themselves as a refrence, they can get sued (i think). Similar stuff to the blurred lines/marvin gay (I think i  was him) lawsuit.

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#17 Penguin101

Penguin101

Piranha Plant

• Members
  • 989 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:43 AM

Maybe I can ask my dad to get it from is work. I know he got PS for like super cheap because of it, so maybe he can do the same with premiere. Actually is priemere or after effects better?

After Effects is great for animation and motion design, Premiere is great for editing video. I use both, especially when the commercial is concerned to create a template for the wording and how long each title stays up for etc and cut the video together for timing. Then put the graphics in after effects over the top. Photoshop is used for some titles and backgrounds along with creating objects to be animated, so all three would be handy. PNG files are your friend! Anyway rendering the final video thanks to you guys giving feedback. :D

Back to the matter at hand. Nintendo need to show off that the Wii U is a system that can be used to entertain everyone, not just kids but the parents, their friends and thier boyfriend/girlfriend and show off the impressive amount of games for a console that's supposedly dry of games

#18 KeptMyWiiUAndLeftTheForums

Lakitu

• Members
  • 2,337 posts
  • Fandom:
    Smash Bros all day.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:49 AM

After Effects is great for animation and motion design, Premiere is great for editing video. I use both, especially when the commercial is concerned to create a template for the wording and how long each title stays up for etc and cut the video together for timing. Then put the graphics in after effects over the top. Photoshop is used for some titles and backgrounds along with creating objects to be animated, so all three would be handy. PNG files are your friend! Anyway rendering the final video thanks to you guys giving feedback. :D

Back to the matter at hand. Nintendo need to show off that the Wii U is a system that can be used to entertain everyone, not just kids but the parents, their friends and thier boyfriend/girlfriend and show off the impressive amount of games for a console that's supposedly dry of games

It would be nice if they could dispel some of he myths about the gamepad being "awkward" somehow as well

That thing is actually so much more comfortable than it looks

WAR IS PEACE

FREEDOM IS SLAVERY

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

LISTEN AND BELIEVE

#19 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:14 AM

Technically speaking, if you use ANY sampling from a song, even if it's so small it literally sounds like a tick, you can get you butt seriously sued :/

Also, even if they remade the stopping themselves as a refrence, they can get sued (i think). Similar stuff to the blurred lines/marvin gay (I think i  was him) lawsuit.

If you re-record it yourself and slightly change the tempo you can get away with it. Have a few old CD's where they got away legally selling it in big box stores for using licensed music because it was a bit faster and recorded it themselves. Maybe they are wised up but not seen evidence of that. Also think it has to be up to 5 seconds or more of the song. If they use the methods already given and put it on a loop it's just 2 seconds 3 at most.

Edited by Ryudo, 19 February 2014 - 03:16 AM.

#20 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:15 AM

Games Wii can play together (shows family playing party games)

Games U can play on your own (shows older man playing ZombiU on GamePad with kids in room, as well as other mature titles).

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!