Photo

Does Super Mario 3D World hit Super Mario Galaxy?

Super Mario 3D World Super Mario Galaxy Super Mario Galaxy 3 Rosalina Hints

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 NayNay

NayNay

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:42 AM

i didnt realise until i got it home and turned it on that SM 3D world was like a SNES super mario world in 3D....i thought it was the next in line of SM64 and Galaxy.... looking back the clue is in the title, but it definitely threw me a bit. i really loved SMG1 and 2 and 64 of course, so after playing through the first 2 levels in 45 minutes, i havent felt the urge to keep going. i will im sure later in the week, but i suspect its not going to hit the spot like i was hoping.

I hope we get our true 3d game for the Wii U. after seeing how good mario kart looks, it could look amazing. 

Edited by NayNay, 07 April 2014 - 03:44 AM.

#22 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 03:46 AM

i didnt realise until i got it home and turned it on that SM 3D world was like a SNES super mario world in 3D....i thought it was the next in line of SM64 and Galaxy.... looking back the clue is in the title, but it definitely threw me a bit. i really loved SMG1 and 2 and 64 of course, so after playing through the first 2 levels in 45 minutes, i havent felt the urge to keep going. i will im sure later in the week, but i suspect its not going to hit the spot like i was hoping.

I hope we get our true 3d game for the Wii U. after seeing how good mario kart looks, it could look amazing.

Ive said it a million times before, 2d marios, and their extension, the 3d land/world franchise are fundamentally different from the 64 franchise, and do not satisfy the same gaming needs.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#23 NayNay

NayNay

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:33 AM

Ive said it a million times before, 2d marios, and their extension, the 3d land/world franchise are fundamentally different from the 64 franchise, and do not satisfy the same gaming needs.

yeah man im suprised how far short it fell.

i think it even falls short of 2d marios...i have been downloading old games on the virtual console, and after buying SM3DW, i have been more inclined to play Super Mario 2. now that ive finished that, i guess il go back to 3d world

#24 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:03 PM

yeah man im suprised how far short it fell.

i think it even falls short of 2d marios...i have been downloading old games on the virtual console, and after buying SM3DW, i have been more inclined to play Super Mario 2. now that ive finished that, i guess il go back to 3d world

Not surprising really.

Super mario 2 wasnt actually a Mario game. It was actually an adventure game called Doki Doki panic starring a family of Arabian adventurers.

ddp_wart_blocks.png

Nintendo turned it into a Mario game to bring it out west to bank on the brand recognition of Super mario bros while providing a different experience than the real japanese mario 2 (Known as the lost levels out west)

I guess they were simultaneously afraid that the west would be turned off by the lost levels, as it was basically nothing more than an expansion pack of levels of the first mario bros, using the same engine and graphics, and also afraid that the new characters of doki doki panic would get ignored by the west.

ANYWAYS. Front and foremost, the game is an adventure game, as opposed to a pure platformer, and its non linear level design, and rewardation of exploration would absolutely appeal more to someone who enjoys the adventure genre of the mario 64 branch, than the linear platformers of the standard 2d series.

Congratulations. You are an adventure lover.

The entire industry is trying to destroy the things you love most with extreme bile and hatred because they are hard to do and require skill sets and passion that simply throwing money at a wall and marketing cant accomplish, because they have become an industry of pitiful cowards.

Except Nintendo, who can still do it. But is currently to busy sticking the vacuum cleaner down their pants and giggling.

Welcome to my gaming hell.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#25 NayNay

NayNay

Shy Guy

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 11:36 PM

Not surprising really.

Super mario 2 wasnt actually a Mario game. It was actually an adventure game called Doki Doki panic starring a family of Arabian adventurers.

ddp_wart_blocks.png

Nintendo turned it into a Mario game to bring it out west to bank on the brand recognition of Super mario bros while providing a different experience than the real japanese mario 2 (Known as the lost levels out west)

I guess they were simultaneously afraid that the west would be turned off by the lost levels, as it was basically nothing more than an expansion pack of levels of the first mario bros, using the same engine and graphics, and also afraid that the new characters of doki doki panic would get ignored by the west.

ANYWAYS. Front and foremost, the game is an adventure game, as opposed to a pure platformer, and its non linear level design, and rewardation of exploration would absolutely appeal more to someone who enjoys the adventure genre of the mario 64 branch, than the linear platformers of the standard 2d series.

Congratulations. You are an adventure lover.

The entire industry is trying to destroy the things you love most with extreme bile and hatred because they are hard to do and require skill sets and passion that simply throwing money at a wall and marketing cant accomplish, because they have become an industry of pitiful cowards.

Except Nintendo, who can still do it. But is currently to busy sticking the vacuum cleaner down their pants and giggling.

Welcome to my gaming hell.

thanks mate. i was a huge collector of nintendo magazines and was aware of the doki doki panic history, but i never extended that info into why i enjoyed it more than the platforming 2d marios... thank you for connecting those dots for me. 

i will complete my new game, then might download SM64 and re buy SMG1 and 2 for my fix, it has been years since i played any of those and they will fill a void im sure.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Super Mario 3D World, Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 3, Rosalina, Hints

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!