Photo

Is it easier to hit 1080p on the Wii U than the XBone?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

I'm just wondering, because I'm fairly sure there's more native 1080p games on the Wii U than on the XBone. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#2 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

I'm just wondering, because I'm fairly sure there's more native 1080p games on the Wii U than on the XBone. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I think it's not that the Xbox One can't have 1080P games but the Xbox One does a lot in the back ground. If those services where suspended during game play, then it wouldn't matter.

But the Wii U should be able to do 1080P because when it's playing games, that's all it does. You can't play games while watching live TV, checking internet guides, or anything of the such.

Heck, you could play Wii U and Xbox One on the same TV if you really wanted to. Just plug it up in the HDMI In port.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#3 Nollog

Nollog

Chain Chomp

• Banned
  • 776 posts
  • NNID:Nollog
  • Fandom:
    Creepy Stalker Girl

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

x1 has 16gb of gddr6 ram for hdmi passthrough and cable tv services.

The wii u just has 1080p platformers and psp games.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/HTMLPurifier/HTMLPurifier/DefinitionCache/Serializer.php:133) in /home/thewiiu/public_html/ips_kernel/classAjax.php on line 328
{"success":1,"post":"\n\n
\n\t\t<\/a>\n\t\t\n\t\n\t\t\n\t\t
\n\t\t\t\n\t\t\t\t

#4 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

No, it is not. Those 1080p wii u games are much simpler, than the games xbone isnt doing at 1080.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#5 xile6

xile6

Alchemist

• Members
  • 1,532 posts
  • NNID:xile06x

Posted 27 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

1080 is just the res.
The details in that 1080 are what sets everything apart.

A detail game vs a cartoon 1080 game will look different.
So with that said. I see why the wii u can run higher res.
youtube ch. http://www.youtube.com/user/xile2010/
xile06 "N" ID
Cod bo2, AC3, Zombiu, NSMB, Pikmin 3, Wind Waker HD, Smash Bro wiiu,
Preorders : ..
Plan to buy : -

#6 Abcdude

Abcdude

Cool Dude of Letters

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Fandom:
    Nintendough and Gravy Falls

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

But the Wii U should be able to do 1080P because when it's playing games, that's all it does. You can't play games while watching live TV, checking internet guides, or anything of the such.

Yes you can. Press the home button and tap TVii or Internet Browser.

794144.png?13383682

#7 Rickhunter7

Rickhunter7

Paragoomba

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

The Xbone has bee getting hell because it can't play multiplats in 1080p that the PS4 can. This doesn't mean it is inferior to the WiiU in any way, it's just inferior to the PS4. If you take all the games that run native 1080p in the WiiU and run them in the Xbone they would run just fine, even better. Xbone's problem is that it has to compete withs PS4. Poor bloke.

Edited by Rickhunter7, 27 February 2014 - 05:06 PM.

#8 Raiden

Raiden

wall crusher

• Members
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:11 PM

Wait till X is finished and out. Bayonetta 2,Project Cars and Fast Racing Neo then we shall see.

It's easy to say now no because cartoons and what not. But lets wait and see

#9 iEatTacos

iEatTacos

Chain Chomp

• Members
  • 724 posts
  • NNID:iEatTacos
  • Fandom:
    Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Legend Of Zelda

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:52 PM

Maybe because the Wii U is awesome?

#10 MorbidGod

MorbidGod

Hammer Bro.

• Members
  • 1,717 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Yes you can. Press the home button and tap TVii or Internet Browser.

But then the game turns off once a new app, like TVii starts. But you can technically play games while watching tv. With the 2nd screen. But that's not what the X1 does.

The Xbone has bee getting hell because it can't play multiplats in 1080p that the PS4 can. This doesn't mean it is inferior to the WiiU in any way, it's just inferior to the PS4. If you take all the games that run native 1080p in the WiiU and run them in the Xbone they would run just fine, even better. Xbone's problem is that it has to compete withs PS4. Poor bloke.

I'm not sure, but does the PS4 do much multitasking while playing games? I think the Xbox One's problem is it's processing power goes to other things, or in some cases reserved for other purposes.
Whovian12 -- Nintendo Network ID.

#11 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:14 AM

But then the game turns off once a new app, like TVii starts. But you can technically play games while watching tv. With the 2nd screen. But that's not what the X1 does.

I'm not sure, but does the PS4 do much multitasking while playing games? I think the Xbox One's problem is it's processing power goes to other things, or in some cases reserved for other purposes.

ANy apps shown in the quick select when you push the home button, like miiverse, internet browser, eshop, tvii etc, operate with the game suspended, which can then be resumed at any time by pressing home again. Its why the wii u has half of the main ram walled off from being used in games.

The Xbox just doesnt have the processing power. The reason the Xbox is failing resolution is related to the gpu, that musltitasking would be handled by the cpu.

The reason the Xbox cant reach the resolutions of the ps4 games, at the same fidelity of the ps4 games, is because the xbox gpu is missing 1/3rd of the Graphics Core Next alu's compared to the ps4, which is why it just cant keep up.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#12 Alex Atkin UK

Alex Atkin UK

Boo

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:33 AM

The reason the Xbox cant reach the resolutions of the ps4 games, at the same fidelity of the ps4 games, is because the xbox gpu is missing 1/3rd of the Graphics Core Next alu's compared to the ps4, which is why it just cant keep up.

Exactly, and the reason why its not hitting 1080p isn't because it CAN'T do it - but it can't do it while outputting the same graphical effects as PS4.  People would notice lower quality assets/processing much easier than a lower resolution, so maintaining parity on effects it more important than resolution.

I'm also not sure where this theory that the Wii U has a ton of 1080p games has come from.  Can someone enlighten me as I am yet to see a single one bar Wind Waker.

Edited by Alex Atkin UK, 28 February 2014 - 08:34 AM.

Sheffield 3DS | Steam & XBOX: Alex Atkin UK | PSN & WiiU: AlexAtkinUK

How to improve the Wii U download speed.

#13 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:00 AM

Exactly, and the reason why its not hitting 1080p isn't because it CAN'T do it - but it can't do it while outputting the same graphical effects as PS4.  People would notice lower quality assets/processing much easier than a lower resolution, so maintaining parity on effects it more important than resolution.

I'm also not sure where this theory that the Wii U has a ton of 1080p games has come from.  Can someone enlighten me as I am yet to see a single one bar Wind Waker.

Aside from windwaker, there are (non nintendo) 2d sidescrollers like rayman, which are mostly 1080, and 3ds ports like mhu, stuff like that.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#14 Scumbag

Scumbag

Pokey

• Members
  • 1,177 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:06 PM

High bandwidth in graphics cards is important for 1080p and beyond. It seems Wii U edram is easier to get much higher bandwidth than the Xbone's esram.

PS4 just relies on it's gddr5, and of course, it's superior GPU.

#15 NintendoReport

NintendoReport

NintendoChitChat

• Moderators
  • 5,907 posts
  • NNID:eddyray
  • Fandom:
    Nintendo Directs and Video Presentations

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

ANy apps shown in the quick select when you push the home button, like miiverse, internet browser, eshop, tvii etc, operate with the game suspended, which can then be resumed at any time by pressing home again. Its why the wii u has half of the main ram walled off from being used in games.

The Xbox just doesnt have the processing power. The reason the Xbox is failing resolution is related to the gpu, that musltitasking would be handled by the cpu.

So... is this old info wrong then? I never really heard one way or the other.

Wii U Operating System features

The Wii U OS is radically different in its architecture from other console software, doe to the way it’s constructed and how it runs.

• The operating system runs on a separate, smaller CPU called “IO processor”
  • Because of this, the Wii U Operating System does not take up resources from the main IBM CPU, of which 100% can be dedicated to the games software.
  • When a game is running, the OS is off and does not require any system memory. This means that games software can utilize 100% of the RAM, unlike other consoles which usually reserve 5-10% of the RAM for the OS at all times.

Keep Smiling, It Makes People Wonder What You Are Up To!
PA Magician | Busiest PA Magician | Magician Reviewed | Certified Magic Professionals

nccbanner_by_sorceror12-d9japra.png-- nintendoreportbox.png -- nintendo_switch_logo_transparent___wordm

#16 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

• When a game is running, the OS is off and does not require any system memory. This means that games software can utilize 100% of the RAM, unlike other consoles which usually reserve 5-10% of the RAM for the OS at all times.

That would explain the delay when switching to and from the game, if it's relying on paging.

$̵̵͙͎̹̝̙̼̻̱͖̲̖̜̩̫̩̼̥͓̳̒̀ͨ̌̅ͮ̇̓ͮ̈͌̓̔̐͆ͩ̋͆ͣ́&̾̋͗̏̌̓̍ͥ̉ͧͣͪ̃̓̇̑҉͎̬͞^̸̠̬̙̹̰̬̗̲͈͈̼̯̞̻͎ͭ̐ͦ̋́̆̔̏̽͢$̻̜͕̜̠͔̮͐ͬ̍ͨͩͤͫ͐ͧ̔̆͘͝͞^̄̋̄͗̐ͯͮͨͣ͐͂͑̽ͩ͒̈̚͏̷͏̗͈̣̪͙̳̰͉͉̯̲̘̮̣̘͟ͅ&̐ͪͬ̑̂̀̓͛̈́͌҉҉̶̕͝*̗̩͚͍͇͔̻̬̼̖͖͈͍̝̻̪͙̳̯̌̅̆̌ͥ̊͗͆́̍ͨ̎̊̌͟͡$̶̛̛̙̝̥̳̥̣̥̞̝̱̺͍̭̹̞͔̠̰͇ͪ͋͛̍̊̋͒̓̿ͩͪ̓̓͘^̈ͥͩͭ͆͌ͣ̀̿͌ͫ̈́̍ͨ̇̾̚͏̢̗̼̻̲̱͇͙̝͉͝ͅ$̢̨̪̝̗̰͖̠̜̳̭̀ͥͭͨ̋ͪ̍̈ͮͣ̌^ͦ̏ͬ̋͑̿́ͮ̿ͨ̋̌ͪ̓̋̇͆͟҉̗͍$̛̪̞̤͉̬͙̦̋ͣͬ̒͗̀̍͗̾̽̓̉͌̔͂̇͒̚̕͜^̧͎̖̟̮͚̞̜̮̘͕̹͚̏ͩ͐ͯ͑̍̍̀͒͘*̿ͨ̽̈́͐ͭ̌̈͋̚͟͝҉͕̙*̨̢̭̭̤̺̦̩̫̲͇͕̼̝̯̇ͨ͗̓̃͂ͩ͆͂̅̀̀́̚̚͟%̨͚̙̮̣̭͖͕͙ͣ̽ͮͤ́ͫ̊̊̐̄̌ͣ͌̉̔͊̽̾ͨ^̢̹̭͍̬̖͇̝̝̬̱͈͔̹͉̫̿͛̄̿͊͆ͦ̃ͮͩ͌ͭ̔ͫ̆͞ͅͅ%̵̼̖̻̘ͪͤ̈̃̓̐̑ͩͭ̄̑͊ͫ̆̌̄͡*̴̮̪͕̗̩͇͇ͪ̑̊̈́́̀͞^̼̝̥̦͇̺̘̤̦͕̦̞͑̑ͯ̂ͯ̕͞%ͮͫ̿ͫ̊̈̔̍҉҉̴̸̡*̛̭̖͇͚̝̤̬̰̅̎ͥͯ̓͑̾ͬͨͮ́̕͝^̧̽͋̈ͤͮ̈́́̍ͧ̊҉͇̙̣̯̀́%̴̡̛̘͚͈̗̖̮̫̏̆ͦ̽̔̈̽͒͛̈

#17 Mewbot

Mewbot

I'm batman

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  • NNID:R00bot
  • Fandom:
    Legend of Zelda and Super Smash Bros.

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:50 PM

That would explain the delay when switching to and from the game, if it's relying on paging.

Would you rather have no delay, and worse looking games? Just a question. I'm not sure what I would like more.

Y U READ THIS?...WHY IS THERE TEXT HERE? LOL WTF
       bi5tzqg.gif

Wii U ID : R00bot

#18 grahamf

grahamf

The Happiness Fairy

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

Would you rather have no delay, and worse looking games? Just a question. I'm not sure what I would like more.

I'd like them to figure out a way to reduce the lag without compromising the games.

#19 3Dude

3Dude

Whomp

• Section Mods
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:25 PM

So... is this old info wrong then? I never really heard one way or the other.

Wii U Operating System features
The Wii U OS is radically different in its architecture from other console software, doe to the way it’s constructed and how it runs.

• The operating system runs on a separate, smaller CPU called “IO processor”
  • Because of this, the Wii U Operating System does not take up resources from the main IBM CPU, of which 100% can be dedicated to the games software.

Yeah its totally off. The wii u actually has 2Gb of main ram... as of right now, it only uses 1 Gb for games, with the other Gb being walled off for the os and multi tasking apps like internet browser.

And input/output controllers dont run operating systems.

High bandwidth in graphics cards is important for 1080p and beyond. It seems Wii U edram is easier to get much higher bandwidth than the Xbone's esram.

PS4 just relies on it's gddr5, and of course, it's superior GPU.

Again, no. The Xbone is just inferior to the ps4, not the wii u.

The xbone only has 16 Render output processers, or rops, these are responsible for actually filling the pixels onto a 2d image that is sent to the telivision as a frame. The ps4 has 32 rops.

Less rops, less pixels, lower resolution/bigger tradeoff for fidelity.

The wii u has 8 rops.

banner1_zpsb47e46d2.png

#20 BrosBeforeGardenTools

BrosBeforeGardenTools

Hot dog vendor who spilled condiments on himself

• Members
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

Complexity of the game x resolution = power needed

Most XBone games choose complexity over resolution...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Anti-Spam Bots!